Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM

Elysium is a futuristic sci-fi movie, depicting the Earth as an overpopulated, polluted and diseased place. Elysium is a man-made place not far from Earth where the wealthiest of people live a luxurious and comfortable life, free from illness, because of the technology that exists that can heal almost anything.

It was very violent and more blood and gore depicted than I had expected. There were some moments where I felt suddenly shocked. Mind you, I haven't watched a horror film in years so I'm probably not used to that type of thing.

For me, it was disturbing, not purely because of the violence, but because there was that great social divide between Earth and Elysium people.

So, anyone else see this movie? Any thoughts?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 PM

I just saw this yesterday. 8D
I agree about the disturbing aspect of it. Since part of it was in space and set in the future I expected it to be a lot more shiny than it was. I liked how Elysium was basically living with plants. I thought that was interesting. And was sad when Matt Damon's character died because it seemed almost anti-climatic? Or I guess just, you expected more or him to live or something. XD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM

Yes, I was thinking it'd be more clean, in terms of the action/violence depicted...

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM

I'm tempted to watch it, but I wasn't a huge fan of District 9, and it seems like the same basic story from the same director, so I dunno if I'll like it.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM

I didn't watch District 9...I've read one review somewhere that suggested that Elysium wasn't done as well as District 9...but I wouldn't know.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM

I like District 9. The feel of them is similar, definitely with the whole trashed areas for the "lesser" kinds.
There's a ... "real" feeling to them both because they're pretty gritty.
Elysium has a "happier" ending than District 9, I think.
For me, the feeling is similar, but they're still different enough where it's hard for me to compare them.
But like I said, I liked District 9 so liking Elysium may be because I like that style of movie?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM

I think the story for Elysium is thought provoking...it not only makes you think about the possible disturbing and unfortunate outcomes for mankind in a sci-fi sense, but also the social impacts of such circumstances..but in terms of the ending, I do think it has a hopeful one.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM

At first I didn't want to see this movie but each time I went to a summer blockbuster I would see the trailer again and each time made me think a little more strongly, "maybe I do want to see this..." I think it looks interesting and I'm debating going to see it today but I'm not really huge into gore so I'm not sure how well I will be able to stand this. Especially since I saw some nasty stuff online yesterday that really upset me...