seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Since Seito told me to come to this forum essentially because I was wondering what the heck a round robin was I did! I love the idea of doing drabbles. I think it's marvelous and a really good way for people to get to know my characters and for myself to work on developing them a little more as well.

Right now I'm currently a part of two RP's that are going on in the Role Play forum here on Mene: The Empire of Chiazu and the Empire of Erios. They're both wonderful RP's and they're also ones that some one would call "literate" which I adore simply because there are so many RP's out there that only consist of people's characters who have awesome skills, dark pasts, and a way with women/men so that they always win, always get the girl, and spend all their time channeling famous manga/anime characters that are not really an original creation. Original creations are where it's at for me. It's fine to do homage to one character you really enjoy (like me with Horatio Hornblower) but to make an exact replica for a story that is supposed to be an original rp with original characters, to me, is a little annoying. That being said, I highly recommend that any one that enjoys writing prose should go and check it out either to just read or perhaps join. We always need people who have an interest in literature!

So the characters I'll be doing the drabbles with two are from the Empire series of RP's and one is actually from a dead RP back on Gaia that involved a post-apocalyptic scenario involving zombies. Sounds ridiculous I know but it was really interesting as it had a play between science, natural abilities, unnatural abilities, and the moral/ethical question of whether or not it's right to experiment on a being that may or may not have a "soul". I forget the first name of the character unfortunately but all I remember is how much I loved writing for the character so I'll just give her another first name. The character bios will be posted in the next post.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm going to update this as I get my original character descriptions back from the people I sent them into. It's easier that way. I should have been smart and saved myself a copy though.

I'm presenting the "shortened" versions of the characters simply because I don't need to slap you around with information. In the RPs two of the characters are in they have weapons but I really don't need to mention them here.

Roleplay: The Empire of Chiazu
Character Name: Second Lieutenant Sukira ("Suki") Mai
Employment: Lieutenant on the HMS Constance in His Majesty's Royal Navy.
Physical Description: Suki is of average height (probably 5'5") and of an average, but athletic build. The only really extraordinary feature about her is her flaming, wavy red hair which she usually keeps in a loose ponytail or bun at the nape of her neck. Unlike the rest of her family who have green eyes she has hazel eyes, but she has carried on the family sailing name of Mai.
Personality: Suki is incredibly driven to go far in life. She demands the best out of herself at all times and is constantly pushing herself. She might be a little type A. Suki has a natural good humour which helps her get along with the lower hands but she still knows the rules of decorum (which she abides by meticulously) and how to speak with people of higher, more important standing. Suki hates things like pride, vanity, and indecision and puts all her worth into things like honor, valor, and decisiveness. She rarely lets herself enjoy a moment of glory however and tries to remain humble.
History:Suki comes from a long line of sailors. Her father, a former Captain in the navy, took his only child with him everywhere on the sea to teach her everything he knew. Even though the men had a superstition about a woman being on board, they took to Suki because she could dance a jig so nimbly to her little flute and entertain the men all night long when they asked. In return, they put up with her incessant questions about rigging, the loading of the guns, measures of grain for the daily ration, how the rats eat, and all other important matters on board. Suki just soaked it all up. When she was older, she left her father's ship and became a midshipman where she quickly impressed many higher personages with her quick mind, eagerness, and determination. Suki didn't want to attract the notice of these influential people but she has, and has been able to rise a little faster than normal to the role of second lieutenant. On her mother's side is a long line of merchants and Suki may not have learned as much from that side of the family but she certainly has picked up a few things regarding trading, sales, the economy, and the ways of the merchant guild.

Roleplay: The Empire of Erios
Character Name: Mariah Polly
Employment: Once a barmaid, now part of an all women's guard for Lady Reinelle.
Physical Description: A tall girl, around 6' or a little higher, Mariah has a lithe frame. Long black hair that's usually back off her face in a single long french braid or often several braids, in a some what ornamental fashion. Mariah has an extremely cheery disposition and is often seen smiling. Occasionally she has a dark cloud pass over her face as she's deep in thought, but that doesn't always happen.
Personality: Mariah is very much the tomboy trying to be a lady. She tries very hard to be lady like and go with the norms of society but she finds it just incredibly hard. She likes to fight and spar a little too much to be called a lady. Something about breaking an opponent's bones in a non-lethal way just delights her. Mariah is pretty smart but she doesn't have a lot of common sense so sometimes she comes off as a little more dull witted than she really is.
History: Mariah is the youngest of five children, the older four all being boys. Her mother died shortly after giving birth to her and her father had to raise her all on his own. The brothers helped out as they all adored her but they did what boys do best: kick the crap out of each other as a way to show that they loved each other. So Mariah learned the ways of scuffling and fighting at a very young age, just to hold her own in her family. It wasn't bad in any way, she loved fighting with them because it always ended in laughing and hugs instead of crying. She tried to cry once but it didn't work and they wouldn't have any of it.
Mariah grew up in the Polly Inn which was later renamed. Her grandfather was a man of some wealth (for a mere working citizen) but he had some how squandered it so her father had moved his family far away from where the Polly name was tainted and started the Polly Inn. When Mariah was young she helped out by cleaning the floors and by the end of her time there she was serving the brew to their regular customers. The Polly Inn had quite a reputation for being a place of business for trades and merchants, so it wasn't one of those Inns that a girl could be ashamed to work at. Eventually, however, after her father passed on Mariah decided it was time that she get out in the world and try to find a profession, preferably in fighting. She just couldn't stay with her brothers, their wives, and all their children anymore. So she went off to seek her fortune in the world with a pack on her back and a bo in her hand.

Roleplay: From a dead rp on gaia
Character Name: Milly Tudball (I remembered her name!)
Employment: Lead Laboratory Technologist in an underground Army facility
Physical Description: A little short and a little plump, Milly has black long bangs that cover her forehead down to her thick black rimmed glasses, and a shaggy bob that goes down to the nape of her neck. Dressed normally in a white lab coat as is part of the uniform, Milly tends to wear black or dark colored clothing because it doesn't show blood as much as lighter clothing does. Milly has dark blue eyes that only show an intensity when she desires to learn the scientific truth about something, otherwise they're a little listless looking.
Personality: Milly is very strong willed to the point where she just out right refuses people, their ideas, objects, or anything that doesn't agree with what she believes in or what she wants. Extremely scientific in everything, analyzes things down to the smallest particle. Will do anything for science, even cross a few ethical or moral lines to get the answers she needs. Milly isn't very friendly either, she keeps to herself and talks only to other people to find out information, give orders, or get something. She can be cordial enough when she tries but she rarely does.
History: Milly sprung to the head of her class when she was in highschool, having an aptitude for the sciences at an early age. She just drank in all the information she could get, especially when it came to biology. She loved finding out how the body worked like a complex machine. In theory you could fix anything, which Milly really liked the idea of. Coming from an average lower middle class background, Milly worked hard in highschool to get into a top university where she had a full scholarship for the duration of her bachelors. Quickly getting in with the right people, Milly finished her bachelors in record time and immediately started her post graduate. During this time she found she had a particular interest in neuropsychology. The brain was amazing and she believes that one day she'll be able to unlock all its secrets... she just has to do enough experiments first.

Name: Tatianya "Tati" (said "Tah-tee") Sherstibytov nee Tanja de Paulain
Race: Human
Class: Gossip
Origin: Originally from Erios but imported to Duvah at a very young age to marry the elderly Lord Nikolas Sherstibytov by her father.
Physical Description: Normally straight long blonde hair that she curls meticulously every day into a half up-do that is fashionable of the younger people in Duvah at the moment. Fair skin, brown doe eyes, and impish features allow her to get away with a lot more than she should really. Of a normal height, around 5'5'' and of a plumpish build. While skinny would normally be much more desirable, Tatianya's build only really shows in her chest and cheeks making her look like a cherub. Usually appears in what is known as "baby" hues, but only the ones that flatter her the most (see Green, Blue, Pink, and Yellow)
Personality: Tati is very cheerful, flirty and endearing by nature. However, being the horrible gossip that she is she can be extremely mean and spiteful behind another's back. Devoted to her friends (until they do something that doesn't please her or she finds no use for them), unforgivingly wicked to her enemies... behind their backs. She is also very feminine and considers herself a princess of sorts. She could care less about politics unless there was some juicy gossip to be had in it or she could be the first to tell everyone.
History: Tanja was born in Deinos, Erios, to a very wealthy noble family of the de Paulains. The youngest of two children (she has an older brother Frederik IV), Tanja was given everything she ever wanted. Happily for her mother, Tanja has always been very pretty and her mother taught her every trick in the book to use those looks for her own benefit. She was also sent to Chiazu briefly for school in her earlier years and made many friends there.

Her father, Frederik III, knowing the value of a pretty daughter sought her a well established husband immediately when she began her woman cycles. Although the de Paulains were of the nobility, her father had serious invested interested in trade with Duvah and looked for a noble with similar interests and situations. The only man who, in Frederik's opinion and Tanja's horror, fitted the bill was the extremely elderly Lord Nikolas Sherstibytov. An ex-general in the King's military, landowner, extremely wealthy and known to have favour with the royal family, Nikolas was unmarried and looking for a young bride to continue on the family name. He and Frederik immediately came to an agreement and Tanja was shipped off to Duvah at the age of 15 to be married.

Taking her husband's name and changing her first name slightly to make it more acceptable in the Duvahian circles, Tanja became Tatianya. She has been living in Duvah ever since but still keeps her ties with friends and family in Erios and Chiazu strong. Perhaps this is why she seems to know a lot more than anyone else in Duvah besides the members of the Royal family and the King's privy council. She really doesn't have much else to do either, besides gossip. Her husband only dotes on her in expensive things since he knows that love grows fonder with absence and she's only required to see his bed twice a year.

She has a young son, Wilhelm, whose looks are all his mother and nothing like his father. It has been debated the as to the identity of the father but both Nikolas and Tatianya swear Wilhelm is legitimate.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM

Here are some very short and quick (this time short is a real word, not like in my previous character description post) character bios of people that are not major characters in any of my rps but they are nonetheless some people that my characters interact with regularly and will often come up in my blabbles.

Lieutenant Haimet: Third Lieutenant of the HMS Constance. Shipmate and friend of Suki Mai's. A good natured fellow that likes to prod Suki once and a while but is very good at knowing when to stop. Also was shipmates with her as a midshipman on the HMS Glory.

Lieutenant Fellows: Third Lieutenant of the HMS Grace. Extremely tall and has a strange blonde tuft of hair on his head which makes him look a little comical. Extremely jolly man that goes against all nature of decorum which drives Suki nuts. Shipmates as a midshipman on the HMS Glory with Haimet and Suki.

William, Stephen, Matthew, and Benjamin Polly:
All of Mariah's extremely tall and muscular brothers in order of oldest to youngest. All married to lovely wives and they all have so many children that Mariah can't remember the name of them all so she just calls them "muffin" or "sweetie" or other pet names.

Nursie: Mariah's nurse as a child. A religious woman who thought it was a sin to have a little girl be raised with a bunch of men and know nothing about how to be a lady. Had a really hard time getting Mariah to do anything she didn't want to do and was constantly admonishing Mariah for unladylike behavior.

Lab Tech Joe: One of Milly's underlings at the research facility that she often has to admonish. A smart boy but a little cowardly due to the nature of Milly's verbal criticisms.

Major Rilner: One of the army heads that comes in once and a while to check in on the facility. Sometimes eggs Milly on in her studies without even knowing it or knowing the repercussions.

Catherine de Paulain: Tati's mother. A serenely icy woman with perfect manners. She is the perfect courtier and has high hopes for her daughter.

Frederic de Paulain III: Tati's father. A well placed man in Eriosian society, looking to move his family upwards.

Frederic de Paulain IV: Tati's older brother and heir to the de Paulain dynasty. Rarely seen by Tati.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Here is the list of the 100 themes I took from Seito that literature genius :P I haven't started any of them yet as I want to make sure that I get all my character descriptions down correctly before I start writing about them to be completely accurate in my portrayal of the character.

1. Bite
2. Green Pen
3. First Flower
4. A Beautiful Day
5. Water
6. Jars
7. Buttons - Milly Tudball.
8. Silence - Milly Tudball.
9. Trash
10. Chain
11. Rain of blossoms
12. Chapstick/lip balm - Suki Mai.
13. Cards
14. Quiz
15. Fans
16. Fish - Mariah Polly
17. Smile
18. Chocolate - Milly Tudball
19. Scissors
20. Pillows
21. Jacket/Blanket
22. Glare
23. Jealousy
24. Misunderstood
25. Holiday
26. Bell - Suki Mai
27. Dog
28. Bridge
29. Minute
30. Flying
31. Bird
32. Cloud
33. Umbrella
34. Snow - Mariah Polly
35. Singing - Suki Mai
36. Square
37. Curtain - Mariah Polly
38. Popular
39. Rubbish
40. Jellyfish
41. Circle
42. Matches
43. Deception
44. Paper
45. Heart - Milly Tudball.
46. Color - Tati
47. Moonlight
48. Death - Suki Mai
49. Candle
50. 50%
51. Obsessive Compulsive
52. Technology Challenged - Milly Tudball.
53. Lurk
54. Stalk
55. Doom
56. Butterfly
57. Check
58. Make up
59. I feel pretty - Suki Mai
60. Clock
61. Midnight
62. Cocoa
63. Tinsel
64. Spiffy
65. Spilled Ink - Suki Mai
66. Paw prints
67. Cute
68. Mess
69. I�m coming
70. Late
71. Missed - Tati
72. Spellcheck - Mariah Polly
73. Mail
74. Tied up
75. Nails - Milly Tudball
76. Small terror
77. Spider
78. Wine/champagne
79. Cross-dressing
80. Instruction Manual
81. Confetti
82. Glitter
83. Shiny objects - Mariah Polly
84. Rebirth
85. Marbles
86. Lamp post
87. Charcoal
88. Markers
89. Scribbling
90. Board games
91. Love
92. Sibling
93. Coffee - Milly Tudball
94. Sticky
95. Sweet
96. Sour - Suki Mai
97. Hyper
98. Apathy & Empathy
99. Lost cell phone
100. Happily Ever After
[/i]

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2007, 07:26 AM

After this post I'll be making postings that will be the drabbles for the characters. Once I've done a few I totally welcome feedback from any one who wishes to give them as long as they are constructive because I find that is the best way I can learn. Also, as I understand it Jupiter has a little competition going on so this will probably be a good thread once I get things started for people to get some posts in that they can use towards the points thing. I'm not going to be participating in it because I like to write just for the heck of it, but I encourage other people to participate in it by all means!

Information for postings (all pretty self explanatory):

Drabble Number:
Characters:
Drabble List Number:
Special Notes:

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Drabble Number: 1
Characters: Lt. Suki Mai
Drabble List Number: 12
Time: Midday.
Special Notes: This is a time where chapstick and lip balm dont exist but you'll see what I do :P

It was the tenth hour of Suki's watch in the bright hot sun and she was starting to feel the fatigue all the way down to her toes. There was absolutely nothing happening on the sea that day, just the sun beating down on her and all the hands that had the unhappy task of being on deck when there was no relief in the shade and barely a breeze to keep the sails up.

Suki pressed her lips together to bring herself to focus on her task at hand, as the Constance had been searching for an enemy ship for over three days now and at the first sight she had to alert the Captain. Her poor lips, they were so chapped from the sun and the salt water that they were starting to crack a little. She couldn't drink anymore water though, as they were on rations. Suki glanced over at the anchor chains all coiled up, ready to let heave once the right amount of clockwise motion was applied to anchor at some wonderful island paradise where they could have fresh fruit, and more importantly, water. It was staring at the anchor chains that Suki had an idea.

"Mr. Weist," Suki barked unintentionally to the little midshipman standing by her side, "Bring me some of the grease we use to lube the cogs of the anchor."

The midshipman knuckled his forehead with a quick "Aye Aye Sir" and scurried off and returned quickly with a little pot of clear jelly that was used as grease. Without giving it a second thought, Suki took a big dab of the jelly with her finger and applied it to her lips. The little midshipman looked at her in surprise and amusement, not knowing whether to laugh or do it himself.

"Thank you Mr. Weist. You can return to your station." Suki stated sternly, feeling the wonderful soothing effect of the grease already. She didn't care what they men would think, her lips wouldn't crack and sting at the first spray of salty water if this worked.

Asham
*^_^*

Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 AM

XD! Aww, that's cute! Suki's so resourceful!

I really like your writing style! It's simple, effective, and to the point. xD Great job! <33

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 AM

Drabble Number: 2
Characters: Mariah Polly
Drabble List Number: 34
Location: Walking home from the butchers towards the Polly Inn.
Time: Later in the evening.
Special Notes: None.

The cold, crisp air caught Mariah instantly as she exited the warm interior of the Butcher's. She had gone to visit the Butcher's wife and make the weekly payment for the meat that the Polly Inn had ordered for the following week. With the weather having gotten much colder, customers couldn't get enough of the famous Polly Beef Stew which, of course, require a lot of stewing beef. The visit had gone well and Mariah had managed to talk the Butcher's wife into letting them have a little bit of a discount due to the high volumes of beef they were buying.

"You have a safe walk home deary!" The Butcher's wife said, waving her fat hand at Mariah, "It's very nippy outside! Don't want to catch a cold!"

"Thank you! See you next week!" Mariah called back with a wave as she continued to head home. Looking up at the sky, all Mariah could see was darkness. It was disappointing because she always enjoyed looking at the stars as she walked home, and she hadn't seen them in days due to the snow and the cloud cover.

Looking down at her feet Mariah purposefully stomped on the snow beneath her feet angry at the effect it had upon the night sky. Crunch crunch crunch. The snow was hard and a little icy from the cold night air and it had lost it's softness in texture and therefor the silencing effect it had. Mariah stopped, suprised at how loud the snow was beneath her feet. The streets where dead and there was no one but her on the road, and the sounds of the compacting snow beneath her feet echoed loudly. She started again. Crunch, crunch, ca-runch. It seemed like the snow made different sounds with how Mariah stepped on it. To test this idea, Mariah started playing with different ways to step in the snow to see if she could make different sounds.

Heel - Toes, Heel - Toes. Ca-runch, Ca-runch.
Toes - Turn, Toes - Turn. Crunch-sss, Crunch-sss.
Kick, kick. Crunch - poof! Crunch - poof!

Mariah laughed, delighted at her discovery and made beautiful snow music with her feet all the way home.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asham
XD! Aww, that's cute! Suki's so resourceful!

I really like your writing style! It's simple, effective, and to the point. xD Great job! <33
Thanks Asham. I sometimes feel like my writing can be a little wordy when it comes to descriptions but that's probably because I have to filter out all the possible words in my head before I type them out. :)

Jac
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 AM

Freakin' brilliant. :D

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Jac I'm still waiting for you to do make one of these threads :P

Jac
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 AM

Yeah, I am too. *pokes me* Hey, get going! :P

I just realized that Mariah and Aria look kinda alike, except Aria's much shorter. It's that long, black hair thing :o

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Drabble Number: 3
Characters: Milly, Lab Tech Joe
Drabble List Number: 7
Time: N/A
Special Notes: N/A

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Milly screamed as she entered the lab room, slamming the door behind her and fumbling at the buttons on her coat, "Do you think that a little cretin like you could try and go over my head?!"

"No, Dr. Tudball... I - I just thought..." Lab Tech Joe stammered, jumping in his seat in front of the glowing computer at the slamming of the door.

"YOU THOUGHT?!" Milly's eyes went wide in mock surprise, "WHAT? A lab tech, a lab tech actually THOUGHT?!"

"I, uh - "

"No. You didn't think at all." Milly seethed, her words coming out unnaturally even and her voice quite quiet. Her heels clicked on the cold linoleum floor, the sound echoing off the sterile white washed walls as she walked over to the hanger where her lab coat was.

"You didn't think at all, and that's one of the few things you're paid to do." Milly stated, putting one arm through at a time, not sending another glance to Joe, "Now I've lost the most important data I've collected in some time and I may not be able to find another experiment as unique as the one you almost let escape."

"I just turned around to place the sample in the container, and she was gone!" Joe blurted out, desperate to cling to some excuse that put the blame just a little more outside himself.

"No. You could have ensured that it stayed just where it is but you let it get away." Milly said bitingly, watching herself button up her crisply starched white lab coat in the mirror, "And now I'm going to do the job that you should have been able to do but let your feelings get in the way. I don't want to see you for at least a week."

Milly finished the last button, straightened her collar, and walked calmly out of the room. Joe just stared at the door she left from, bile rising up in his throat.

Jac
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-01-2007, 10:17 AM

I knew Milly would scare me just from reading her profile, and I was right... :shock: Poor Joe... This kinda reminded me of House, you know? Heh...

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Drabble 1: Suki rocks. xD She's so smart. The only thing I noticed was shouldn't it be "Aye aye Ma'am?" instead of Sir? Sir works but I guess it depends if you consider how much you want to emphasize that Suki is a woman. *shrugs* It's up to you. Just wanted to point that out.

Drabble 2: made the weekly payment

its softness in texture

xD Awesome way to make music in the snow.

Drabble 3: stayed just where it was

*giggles* poor poor Joe. xD

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 06:30 PM

Seito - Well, the thing with the Suki character is that she really doesn't often acknowledge the fact that she is a woman. She wears the guy's uniform all the time and rarely does stuff that might remind people that she is a woman except for the fact that she obviously is one and has one's body. When she's at sea she's just like one of the boys. So in the rp the characters say stuff like "You can't be serious, man!" and "Aye aye sir" just to show that they see her as one of them and don't think of her as a female but just as a Lieutenant. The only time Suki might be reminded that she's a woman is when she has woman problems or does things that are stereotypically a woman thing (like needing chapstick). But they're really subtle.

Jac - Yea, Milly isn't a very nice character but that's why I like her. She is just mean and doesn't really have any redeeming qualities. House is a nice guy deep down inside, I'm not really quite sure that Milly is.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Yeah, I am too. *pokes me* Hey, get going! :P

I just realized that Mariah and Aria look kinda alike, except Aria's much shorter. It's that long, black hair thing :o
Yea, when I read the description of your girl I was like, "HEY! That's Mariah!" like right down to the family member disgracing their family. Perhaps some where wayyyyyyyyyy down the line they could be related?

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Drabble Number: 4
Characters: Mariah Polly, her brothers, her father.
Drabble List Number: 72
Special Notes:This is when they were younger than they are "now" and their father was still alive.

"Mariah!"

"Yes papa?" Mariah's head whipped up from her chore of sweeping the floor as she heard her name.

"Mariah, you wrote the daily special on the board today, right?" Donald Polly asked as he lumbered over to where Mariah was sweeping. He completely dwarfed the little girl with his bulk, which if some one didn't know better they would find very intimidating.

"Yes, I did Papa. I made sure that I wrote it very clearly." Mariah beamed up at her beloved father, a few front teeth missing as the adult ones were coming in a little slow.

"Did you get anyone to spell check it for you, my little duck?" Donald asked, placing one giant hand on top of her little head.

"Yes, papa. Matthew and Ben said they would help me." Mariah replied smiling.

"Ahhhhhh. That explains it." Donald said to himself, patting her on the head twice before turning around to go into the dining area of the Inn, "Come with me Mariah. I have something to show you."

Mariah put her broom in the corner and ran after her father to catch up.

"Why, what's wrong?" Mariah asked, looking up questioningly.

"Well, you know that the special of the day is "Wild Beast with gravy pudding and potatoes", right?"

"Ya, Matthew helped me spell Beast properly because I forgot an r and Ben fixed the word "pudding" because I didn't have enough "O's"." Mariah said, recalling what she had done on the big chalk sign.

"Well my duck, can you please read the sign to me again?" Donald asked his daughter, bringing down the sign to Mariah's level.

"Sure. It says, 'Special: W-w-wiild b-b-br-breast with grav-gravy poo-ing and poo-tayt-toes.'" Mariah replied, sounding out the sentence like any good six year old would. She beamed at her father and then realized what she had said.

"HEY! That's not what the special is at all!!!" Mariah cried, indignant. Behind the bar counter she could hear the snickering laughs of Ben and Matt, like any boys of 8 and 9 would do at the words "poo" and "breast".

"YOU DIDN'T HELP ME AT ALL!" Mariah cried rushing behind the counter and starting to pummel them with her fists, "The gravy isn't pooing!!!"

"Hey!" The boys cried, surprised at their sister's sudden burst of anger. Donald went behind the bar and pulled Mariah off her brothers with a laugh.

"Mariah, next time get William to spell check the board for you, not these two scoundrels." Donald said, referring to Mariah's oldest brother who was a reliable 16 years old, "You two are going to go out back and spend the afternoon cleaning out the barn for what you did to your sister. You're supposed to help her with her spelling, not make her write dirty words."

"Awwwwwwww." The brothers moaned and trodded out back towards the barn with their heads hung low and scuffing their feet as they walked.

"Here, let me help you re-write the board." Donald said, pulling down a piece of chalk and wiping the board clean. That was the last time that Mariah asked Matthew or Ben for help spelling.

Jac
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Aw, Mariah's so CUTE! *huggles little Mariah*

It's kinda creepy.. :shock: She had blue eyes too, right? And their names even sound similar. Mariah. Whoa. Wierd. I did not intend for that! o.o'

Maybe they could be distant cousins? :o

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Jac - I'm pretty sure that Mariah has green eyes. I didn't write it down of course. :S

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Drabble Number: 5
Characters: Suki Mai, Haimet, and Fellows
Drabble List Number: 96
Special Notes: This was when the three were midshipman together.

"I've never seen such interesting fruit in all my life!" Suki remarked, turning over the strange light orange fruit in her hands. The HMS Glory had docked at a small island to make some repairs to the ship. They had recently passed through quite a remarkable storm which had almost done in the ship because the winds had snapped the top of the main mast clean off. It was only through the genius of their Captain that they were able to make it to this little island at all.

Whilst they were making their repairs the islanders had brought them gifts of fresh fruit, some of which the midshipmen had never seen before in their life. Haimet and Fellows had seen some fruit when they were on land, but just the regular festival oranges and some locally grown fruit. Suki, on the other hand, had seen a lot of exotic fruits when she was traveling with her father on his ship but she had never seen the type they were all holding in their hands.

"Yes, it's like an orange but different." Haimet said, tossing his fruit up in the air and catching it.

"They're much bigger than oranges," Fellows said, taking a knife out and cutting it in half, "And they have pink insides! An orange is an orange throughout."

"Of course an orange is an orange throughout," Suki said, squishing the sides of her fruit lightly with her finger tips, "Did you ever expect to open an orange and find an apple inside?"

"That would be horrible! The inside of the orange is the best part!" Fellows exclaimed.

"I think we should just eat it." Haimet stated, sniffing his fruit, "That's what Lieutenant Dulson said we should do. They're apparently safe to eat."

"I'm very eager to see how it would taste." Suki agreed, starting to peel her fruit to reveal the bright pink insides.

"Why are you peeling it?" Haimet asked, watching Suki peel hers so that all the flaky light yellow inside covering was off and Fellows cutting his apart with his knife.

"Well you're not supposed to eat the skin." Fellows said, quartering his fruit and placing it on a handkerchief on his lap.

"Really? I thought you'd just bite right into it like an orange." Haimet replied, looking at his fruit again.

"You eat the rind of your oranges?!" Suki asked, astonished, pausing momentarily in her peeling.

"Well sure, that's where all the vitamins or whatever the good parts are called are." Haimet said, polishing off his fruit on his shirt.

"I think it won't taste that good if you leave it on." Suki warned with a look of disgust on her face. She knew this only because she had tried to eat a lemon with the rind on once and it was horribly sour.

"No! I think you should. One of us should try it and if Haimet eats his oranges with the rind on then why shouldn't he do it with this one?" Fellows declared, nudging Suki in the side with his elbow. Suki smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Ok! Here it goes!" Haimet said, opening up his mouth wide to take a giant bite of his fruit. The minute he started chew his mouth twisted up to such a point and his eyes started watering because it was so sour. Fellows howled in laughter and Suki couldn't help but giggle herself.

"What the commotion here?" Asked one of the Lieutenants walking by, "Man alive, Haimet! Did you just take a bite of a grapefruit with the rind on?! That's the sourest thing in the world to do! You're supposed to eat it with the rind off like your friends here."

At this Fellows laughed even harder, and Haimet spat out the rind pieces in his mouth with a scowl on his face.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 AM

Drabble Number: 6
Characters: Milly
Drabble List Number: 93
Special Notes: N/A

"This can't be right. It has to make sense." Milly said to herself, staring at the screen in front of her.

The results from the test were finally in and they had come out as the worst thing possible for a scientist, inconclusive. It wasn't even that the alpha had come out way about 0.05 or that the standard rate of error was above one, it was the fact that absolutely no information had been gleaned from the months of testing that had been performed on Subject #284. Nothing.

"But we did every single test!" Milly protested to the screen, "We did everything. Three times!"

Yet, the information on the screen did not change despite Milly's frustrations. She reached across her table and grabbed her large cup of coffee, her eighth one of the day. There had to be something they could still do in order to find out what gave these things their special abilities. As Milly lifted the coffee cup to her lips and took a sip of the straight black, now cold, coffee an idea came to her head.

"Brain damage. We haven't done a selective brain damage case study and compared it to a subject with similar abilities without brain damage." Milly thought out loud, placing her cup back down onto the table, and typing violently on her key board. She knew full well that she didn't have a subject with natural causes of brain damage to compare to a healthy one. That didn't bother her, she knew ways to get around that.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 AM

Drabble Number: 7
Characters: Suki Mai, her father.
Drabble List Number: 26
Time: 4 Bells in the Afternoon watch.
Special Notes: This is a drabble from Suki was a littler girl, traveling with her father on his ship.

Ding-ding! Ding-ding!

"Suki, do you remember what the bells mean?" Her father asked in his stately manner, looking down at her as they both stood on the quarter deck.

"Yes, I think so father." Suki said slowly, recalling the information she had learned a few days ago, "The bells are only struck at the half hour instead of on the hour like on land. It tells us the time."

"Correct. So what time would it be then Suki?"

Suki thought for a moment very hard. She knew that the time depended on the watch of the day and that the watches were based on four hour systems. The bell had wrung only twice, but she also knew that each ding was a single count and that they rang the bell in pairs because it was easier to count that way. So it must have rung four times.

"Do you remember?" Her father prodded, a little displeased that it was taking her so long to come up with an answer.

"I do father, but I want to make sure that I have the right watch of the day because if I don't I will tell you the wrong time." Suki replied, twisting her mouth up in thought a little.

"Don't twist your mouth when you think Suki." Her father said, noticing the mannerisms of his daughter, "When you think you must do so discreetly so that people don't know if you are having a hard time remembering. It instills in them a faith that you always know what to do andit gives them a sense of security."

"Sorry father." Suki immediately touched her little hand to her mouth and then dropped it quickly to show that she wasn't going to think too hard about making her mouth relaxed, "It's the afternoon watch?"

"Yes Suki, it is."

"Then it must be fourteen hours then, sir." Suki stated with a nod, trying very hard to keep her mouth straight.

"Correct Suki. I am glad you remembered." Her father said with a nod of his head. He couldn't lavish praise on his daughter as much as he wanted to since the crew and the officers could see him and Suki so he resigned himself to patting her twice on the head. Suki beamed with pleasure but then caught herself as she didn't want to appear to be prideful and contented herself with a simple nod. She knew that she would be ready to become a midshipman in no time.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 AM

Drabble Number: 8
Characters: Milly Tudball, Major Rilner
Drabble List Number: 52
Special Notes:N/A

"I can't justify spending over one hundred thousand dollars on a single machine when you already have several good ones, Dr. Tudball." Major Rilner stated from behind his mammoth mahogany desk.

"Major, you don't understand how vital this machine is. It has the best precision particle laser cutting that is available that doesn't destroy the neurons of the brain!" Milly rebutted, leaning forward in her chair, "We would get so much valuable information out of this machine and you would be getting those results you were looking for. We're on the edge of a break through!"

"I just don't understand how these machines work so much better than the one you have right now, doctor." Major Rilner replied with a frown, crossing his arms over his chest, "You are still getting results from them."

"The machines we have now are just like taking a big steak knife to a brain and sawing them open in the most destructive manner possible." Milly replied, folding her arms to match the Major's body language, "Yes we get results but the likelihood that they're flawed is high."

"If you want us to be challenged in the technology department because you can't tell the different between a fine particle laser and the crap technology we have right now that's fine." Milly continued angrily, "But I'll just make sure than when your wife comes in for her stereotactic radiation surgery to remove the tumour wedged into her temporal lobe we'll just use the same machines we've been using all along. I'm sure it will remove the tumour just fine and probably a large part of the lobe as well, most likely the fusiform gyrus."

"The fusiform gyrus?" The Major asked, a little alarmed at what Milly was insinuating.

"Yes, the fusiform gyrus. The part of the brain that recognizes faces." Milly replied, lifting up her chin defiantly, "She most likely will not be able to recognize you Major. You, your children, your grandchildren. She'll always be surrounded by strangers. Do you realize how frightening that will be?"

"I'll look into that new machine for you, Dr. Tudball." The major stated, not pleased at the under handed tactics Milly had used. However, he had to put up with her because she was the best neurosurgeon and neuropsychologist in the country, that's why the army had snapped her up immediately after finishing her doctoral degree.

"I'm glad you will Major." Milly smiled, standing up and giving the major a handshake. She knew that she was going to get that machine. It didn't matter that the machines she had now were perfectly decent and that she had completely lied about the effects on the major's wifes brains. It was to her advantage that was technologically challenged.

seripha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Drabble Number: 9
Characters: Mariah Polly, her brother Ben.
Drabble List Number: 16
Special Notes: This was when they were in their mid teens.

"STOP IT!" Mariah exclaimed, slamming the knife she was using to cut the carrots with into the chopping block.

"What? I'm not doing anything!" Ben exclaimed, with a wide eyed look of all innocence.

"No, I know what you're doing and it's very annoying." Mariah said, pulling the knife out with a jerk and going back to cutting the carrots. Ben shook his head and immediately went back to what he was doing.

"I told you to stop it!" Mariah turned around quickly, took a step back, and with her knife slashed down and cut off the head of the fish that Ben was previously holding up close to the back of her neck. Ben watched in horror as the fish's head fell to the floor, the not very clean floor.

"I can't believe you just did that!" He exclaimed, bending down to pick up the fish head and trying to dust it off on his shirt making it all very fish gutsy.

"You've been holding that fish to the back of my head and making it do that silly fish mouth thing for a good ten minutes now. It's NOT FUNNY!" Mariah yelled, exasperated at the persistence of her brother.

"But you didn't have to cut it's head off!" Ben yelled back.

"I asked, like, twelve times to stop doing it politely and then I asked you, like, ten more times not as politely to stop it." Mariah retorted, turning back to her carrots and cutting them up angrily.

"What am I going to do with a ruined fish head? We can't cook it, it's been all over the floor!" Ben said, looking at the decapitated fish.

"Well the bottom part of the fish is still good so we can cook that." Mariah said thinking, "If you want to annoy some one, go put the fish head on a stick and go bother Stephen's wife. She's scared of fish."

"YES! That is such a good idea!" Ben said gleefully. He deposited the bottom half of the fish back into the bucket of dead fish to be cleaned and prepared for dinner and ran off to go and find a stick to put the fish head on. Mariah couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Laura freaking out at finding a fish head on a stick in one of her potted plants or something like that. She liked the woman but one just had to get used to practical jokes living in the Polly family. Plus, it would just be funny.