Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Just a place to put up some writings. Stories never to be finished past a few paragraphs, short tid bits of scenes, etc.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 PM

My first encounter with magic had been about two years ago. It was still new to the world, so most people shook it off as party tricks, special graphics or strange hauntings. When my best friend turned sixteen, however, I knew otherwise.

We had always been close, Elisandra and I. It was difficult finding the right gift for her, particularly because she was not only my best friend, but my girlfriend. Both of us being girls sometimes made people uncomfortable around us, but we were secure in what we wanted and it was in each other. The night before her birthday she had come over to my house. For help on homework, of course. It was then that she confided in me that she had been experiencing strange phenomena, things that didn't seem right, or things that just seemed too right. She told me that it was thrilling and exhilarating, something new that she was beginning to love. I asked her what it was, and all she could tell me was this: It was magic.

“Its like seeing everything with a new pair of glasses,” She had explained, “It's all sharper, more defined. But it goes further than just new glasses because you can sense it as if you're standing right by it. You can wave to the water and it will wave back.”

At first I thought she was exploring a spiritual path, but I found out I was quite wrong the next day. After school I went to her house for her birthday party. It would be small as both of us kept few, but trustworthy friends. Her mother beamed at me when she saw me at the door. I liked Elisandra's mother. She was always warm and accepting, especially for being a single parent that worked all the time. Elisandra never told me much about her father as she had never met him, except that she thought he might be working abroad.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 08:16 PM

I was ushered inside to the living room where Elisandra greeted me with a chaste kiss, though the mischievous glint in her eyes always made me give an evil smirk in return. I felt awkward for a moment, standing at the entrance to the living room with a small box between my hands. Elisandra was the more outgoing one, and she recognized my shyness instantly. I wanted to give my gift to her when the others weren't around, and she knew this with but one glance at my manner. She had led me to the couch where we sat, and I handed her the box. The inside was lined with what looked like a red velvet, the bottom carpeted in a white fluff. It probably looked as cheap as it was, but I really couldn't afford much. The necklace she pulled out was shining silver, though I couldn't rightly say what the actual metal was. Still, it looked pretty, and the chain link lead down to silver vines that gently embraced a translucent blue stone. Elisandra loved it, and she told me as much and I clasped the chain around her slender neck. A creature of grace and elegance was what Elisandra was. Witty, outgoing, often times I didn't know why I deserved her.

With renewed energy she had pulled me to my feet and we went out into the backyard where the pond was. She wanted to show me something she had learned to do. We knelt by the pond, watching the large koi idly swim around, oblivious to the stretch of world that lived just above the surface. Pale hand reached forward over the water, the tip of her finger touching the surface so that small ripples etched themselves into the water. Slowly she lifted her hand, and with it came the water.

It was strange, as if she had pinched the water like a piece of cloth and simply lifted. The water around began to pull back down, leaving a long strand of water between the pond and her hand. I touched it, and it felt like normal water, leaving my fingers wet and smelling like the pond. I was in awe; her mother that had come out behind us was scared.

The piercing scream of alarm that came out from behind us shook me to the bone, and I turned with a quick spin to my feet at the same time that Elisandra twisted up. The water flew from her finger tips, and we watched in horror as the strand over water pierced her mother's throat. For a few seconds she stood there gargling over her own blood, the water turning back to liquid as it dripped down her throat in a misty red.

That was the last time I saw Elisandra, and the first time I witnessed magic.

<End of drabble.>

This was going to end up to be something where the protagonist joins a faction that hunts down rogue mages or keeping tabs of mages in general with the goal of finding her friend again. Didn't really plan anything out though, so I never really expected to go anywhere with it. Lost track of where to go after this.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM

Chapter 1

The golden fingers of the sun twined through the silken clouds that dusted the sky of Aradia, birds casting their songs through the trees as they glided upon invisible winds. Spring had come early to the flourishing country, and with it was the birth of frustration among teachers everywhere. Handling students who were overzealous by nature was problematic enough, but to add in spring fever was almost unbearable. The students at Pretoria High, like the students at many schools across the country of Aradia, were also abuzz with excitement. Unlike the other schools across the country, however, the Pretorian students were aflame with the recent news of a murder that had taken place at their school just moments before the first classes of the day would begin. The classroom had been blocked off with magic wards to prevent the curious from obtaining a gruesome illustration, and word had been sent to the city officials.

Pheonix peered down the hall at the cluster of students at the other end, each craning their necks in hopes of a glimpse to satisfy their macabre nature of curiosity. While she herself was plagued by an inquiring mind, she knew that the information she sought would not be gained from the swarm. No, she knew that her sister would also be curious, and when her sister wanted something, she got it. Pheonix simply had to wait, and if the need be, defend her sister's honor in the case of her being caught. Her waiting did not go unrewarded for very long, for moments later the mischievous grin of Akeldama blocked her view.

“So what happened?” Pheonix prompted, ignoring her sister's unkempt dark red hair and glinting golden eyes, knowing that she was simply bursting to reveal what she had learned.

“You know that kid Nicholas? Well apparently he had latent magic powers that had a build up. He got angry at another student and accidentally bolted him. Nicholas splattered the poor kid all over the teacher too.” Akeldama spoke in hushed tones, though the energy in the air seemed to seep into her.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Pheonix cringed at the imagery, silently sending her condolences to the dead student. It wasn't something that occurred regularly, but it certainly wasn't unheard of. Witch hunts only happened once every year in winter, and since there were so many schools to cover, the officials would only test those who were prospective witches. Those with weak powers were recommended to stay at their current school and home and just take an extra course in magic, while those with medium ranked abilities were given the option of staying and taking extra courses or to go to the specialized academy renowned for training witches across the country. They knew that the student Nicholas would probably get no say in the matter and would simply be shipped out to the Aradia Academy. She paused in thought for but a moment, “Isn't he about our age? Maybe a year older? Seventeen or eighteen?”

Akeldama nodded vigorously, “Yeah, he's even been tested for magic a few times but they thought it was too weak to really be of any use.”

Magic usually manifests between the ages of 13 to 15, though there had been exceptions that came earlier or later. Most students who found they could sense and even start using the elements usually went to a teacher who set them into a magic course until that year's witch hunt for an official evaluation came around. Their school was relatively average in size with just under 1000 students attending. They usually found about ten witches each year of varying ages, usually of medium strength. Magic seemed more predominate in females with a seven to three ratio, of which politicians took advantage of in order to give women a slight advantage in respect.

Thin glass globes began drifting down the hallways, the torches wavering as the globes passed by. Pheonix sighed as one passed by them and settled at a corner, “Looks like an announcement, probably to tell us to go to our classes.”

The timed globes dissolved all at once, and the trapped vibrations within were released with the magic wind to reveal the voice of the principal, “All students are to return to their homeroom classes immediately. Students of the class 3A are to join students in the class 3B due to an incident this morning, and teachers are to prepare for a school wide witch hunt.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 PM

Pheonix and Akeldama blinked in unison, exchanging a look of interest. Not only was it out of season for a witch hunt, but a school wide witch hunt, in which every student was to be tested, was rarely done. Neither Pheonix or Akeldama had ever been tested as teachers had noted nothing special about them, so it was intriguing to finally find out how the tests worked rather than just hearing about it second hand from those who were tested. Pheonix's own golden eyes glazed across the halls as students began filing to their respective rooms. Pulling on her sister's sleeve, Pheonix followed suit and went back to their classroom. Sitting at wooden desks crafted by the local earth elemental witches, Pheonix found herself falling to boredom rather quickly. She idly twirled a stray strand of strawberry blond hair. While she shared the same paleness and golden eyes as her sister, Pheonix caught the more recessive genes that mixed the red hair with blond, giving an almost pink hue. While older than her sister only by a few months, Pheonix was a good few inches taller than Akeldama, a fact that she subtly exploited and teased about daily.

Outsiders would think Pheonix and Akeldama to be as the night and day, where Akeldama was loud and quick tempered and Pheonix was cool and collected, however each sister knew better. Pheonix shared the same mischievous streak that Akeldama so valiantly portrayed, and actively enjoyed her role in her sister's pranks. A light tap on her shoulder from Akeldama brought Pheonix's attention upwards. The door was open and there stood an older man wearing the standard uniform of one who conducts witch hunts. He looked as bored as Pheonix felt, though there was a no-nonsense expression that gave a certain severity to his face. His commanding aura silenced the excited whispers of the students almost instantly as he strode to the front of the room.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM

The teacher had pulled two desks and chairs to a corner of the room and gave a short wave that made the air glimmer before turning into a dark blue that made it impossible to look through. It was the standard testing cube that would prevent sound from getting out. The students being tested weren't supposed to reveal what was said, but of course such rules were never followed and everyone had at least a vague idea of the kind of test it was.

The official spoke in a surprisingly smooth voice, though it was neutral and lacked any interesting tones, “We'll go in alphabetical order of last names starting from A. You all should know the routine by now. One at a time, keep your voices low, and no asking others about the tests.” From there it was the ritualistic drone of rules and regulations followed by the calling of names. At last Akeldama was called, with Pheonix to follow after her. Akeldama got up with a great, heaving sigh so as to clearly portray her feeling quite inconvenienced by the whole affair, though Pheonix suspected that the tester shared the same feelings.

Akeldama sat down inside of the box and watched as the official closed the door seamlessly into the wall and sat down across from her. He shuffled a few papers, explained the rules once more as Akeldama stared into a bland corner of the cube, until he finally held up one sheet of paper with a black circle the size of a small hand, “What do you see?”

She squinted and wrinkled her nose in disdain, “A bird.”

He arched a brow slowly, then held up another paper with an identical dot, “And this?”

“A dog.” She answered, her temper adding an edge to her voice at a poor attempt of veiling her boredom. There wasn't even a smudge on the wall to focus on.

He scribbled a few notes down, then looked at a clip board, “This says you've never been tested for magic?”

Akeldama gave a curt shrug, “Never shown a smidgen of it.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 PM

“Well at the least you have perfect witch sight to see through basic illusions quickly.” The instructor informed her. Blinking, she peered at the dots he had set down again. They were indeed dots, but if she shifted her eyes just a little they became clear images of animals. It was as natural as focusing eyes to see something further or closer away, as if there was nothing really magical about it until now.

He set a seed down in front of her, a tiny one that looked more like a rice grain, “See if you can make a sprout out of this.”

This rewarded him with a glare. Akeldama and her sister wouldn't do something as mundane as stare at a seed all day. They could sense the presence of life within the seeds, the potential a seed had just as anyone who had taken basic plant life would know, but there was much more interesting things to do. A returned glare prompted her to follow his instructions however, and she looked to the seed. Focusing on the tiny bit of life, feeling the very veins in it made her skin tingle as if her own blood veins were under observation. The seed abruptly sprouted, roots slithering out and a stem reaching up, leaves crinkled began to expand and a bud erupted into a full blossom.

“Hey, that was kind of cool.” Akeldama spoke in surprise, wondering how she had underestimated the tiny bit of life. Granted she wouldn't want to sprout seeds as a hobby as it just seemed incredibly dull.

The instructor watched in mild surprise. Perhaps an earth natural? He set a rock in front of her and wrote down more notes without looking at her, “Set it on fire.”

Akeldama, now feeling more aware at what interesting things could be conceived, felt the inside of the rock. Like the other tests, the rock just felt normal. The energy and attention of pranks were meant for people, not objects. Feeling the veins of what made a rock felt normal, though now that she focused on it her veins and skin tingled once more with a sudden twinge as a flame engulfed the rock in a sudden flurry. The man sitting across from her quickly waved his hand and the fire disappeared, though the rock smoked ominously and the table beneath was quite charred. He stared at her with that neutral face of his, but Akeldama could sense his alarm, the quickening pace of his blood, even if only for a second. He frowned briefly, “Lets try a few more tests.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM

Pheonix stared at the clock on the wall. Her sister had been in there longer than other students, which really didn't surprise her. Smirking to herself, she imagined Akeldama was giving the proctor a hard time. The door of the cube opened and the uniformed man stepped out and walked to the door of the classroom. Alarmed at the change in ritual, Pheonix watched with renewed interest and concern. He returned with a second official, and they both re-entered the cube and closed the door seamlessly behind them. This set the classroom into a storm of hushed theories, already boosted to wild proportions due to the earlier death of another student. Ignoring the inquiries of her fellow classmates, Pheonix focused solely on the cube. What was wrong with her sister?

The second official exited once more, speaking quietly with the teacher who then left the classroom in a quick shuffling motion. The teacher returned with the pet rat from the neighboring science room, handed the cage over to the official, and watched as the cube was once more closed from view. Long minutes that began to feel like an eternity passed with Pheonix unconsciously biting her bottom lip. Never in all of their years had she seen them bring a rat in, which rose all emergency lights in her mind when they deviated from the norm.

At long last the door opened once more and the first proctor cast a quick glance across the room, “Would Pheonix Sanguine come forward?”

Pheonix blinked at the abrupt call, standing up with a hesitant stare and walking over at a less than casual pace. She glanced into the cube to see her sister sitting in a chair with wide eyes, staring at a dead, bloodied rat inside of a cage. “What is this?” Pheonix hissed in a near whisper as she went to her sister and wrapped her arms around her shoulders.

“Your sister will be moving into the Aradia Academy immediately.” He said, “Magic has a tendency to run in the lines, though we all know this isn't a solid law. We'd like to see if you have any similar.. abilities.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM

The way he spoke the last word made it sound abnormal, almost fearful though his solemn face tried to say otherwise. The other official swept Akeldama to her feet, ushering her out and through the classroom with such swiftness as to avoid any questions. Pheonix began to protest, though a hand on her shoulder warned her to stay. The door closed, and the proctor held up a few pieces of papers, not waiting for her to sit, “What do you see?”

“Animals. Now please explain what is going on? Why is my sister being taken away? She has no magic abilities, never has!”

“Make this seed sprout, and I'll explain.” He said, his voice more rushed than usual.

Pheonix hissed, but the seed flew into full blossom. This caught her attention, however, and she calmed herself down just a notch.

“The rat's blood.. I'd like you to focus on it and try to feel it. Set this rock on fire only after you have focused on the blood.” He knew he was skipping many steps and procedures, but this was such an unprecedented affair that he couldn't help but become excited, and even a little fearful.

Her own blood tingled within her as she focused on the blood splattered in the cage, as if it was calling out and singing to some unknown force. The rock shattered into tiny, flaming fragments.

“Sweet mother of the moon.” He swore under his breath, “I don't know how this is. This is...” He shook his head, “I'm sorry I can't explain much, I fear that I would not be able to provide you with the necessary information that is due. We will speak with your parents, but we ask that you come with us immediately. You will be with your sister.”

Confused more than ever, Pheonix felt herself being whisked away, the classroom and voices all a blur of muddled thoughts. Was that what magic was? That sense of familiarity? Were they wrong to do something?

Pheonix fell in alongside Akeldama as they were ushered into a carriage. Voices were exchanged all around them, though neither sister could bring themselves to try and listen in. They held hands tightly as the carriage lurched forward, the clopping of hooves on smooth rock echoing dully as the twitter of birds' songs swept merrily about them on the lovely spring day.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Chapter 2

The sun had long since traversed across the sky, the orange hues of dusk reflecting on the light threads of clouds. Pheonix watched the tapestry of the sky unravel towards night in silence, her legs aching from having to sit in the carriage for almost an entire day with the exception of stopping for a lunch meal. Akeldama, despite being as overwhelmed as Pheonix felt, appeared to have boredom overpower any confusion as she was now working at drawing on the sleeping proctor's face. The older girl rolled her eyes at her sister before resuming her window gazing, her strawberry blond hair and pale skin taking on an almost ethereal glow from the sinking sun.

“Hey Akeldama, look. That's Aradian City over there.” Pheonix urged her sister away from her ploy to look upon the lights in the distance. The capital city of Aradia was home to the Aradia Academy, as well as the royal family. They really weren't very creative on names when it came to the Aradian City where almost every restaurant had a special Aradian dish or the major street name being Arad Main. They prided themselves in being named after the country, sometimes claiming that the country had been named after them, though Pheonix usually attributed that to arrogance. For being the capital of the arts and politics and pretty much any genre of interest, Pheonix had always held the opinion of it being a dull city. Never having been there herself, she tried to withhold judgment but couldn't help having a first impression based on the names alone.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Chapter 2

The sun had long since traversed across the sky, the orange hues of dusk reflecting on the light threads of clouds. Pheonix watched the tapestry of the sky unravel towards night in silence, her legs aching from having to sit in the carriage for almost an entire day with the exception of stopping for a lunch meal. Akeldama, despite being as overwhelmed as Pheonix felt, appeared to have boredom overpower any confusion as she was now working at drawing on the sleeping proctor's face. The older girl rolled her eyes at her sister before resuming her window gazing, her strawberry blond hair and pale skin taking on an almost ethereal glow from the sinking sun.

“Hey Akeldama, look. That's Aradian City over there.” Pheonix urged her sister away from her ploy to look upon the lights in the distance. The capital city of Aradia was home to the Aradia Academy, as well as the royal family. They really weren't very creative on names when it came to the Aradian City where almost every restaurant had a special Aradian dish or the major street name being Arad Main. They prided themselves in being named after the country, sometimes claiming that the country had been named after them, though Pheonix usually attributed that to arrogance. For being the capital of the arts and politics and pretty much any genre of interest, Pheonix had always held the opinion of it being a dull city. Never having been there herself, she tried to withhold judgment but couldn't help having a first impression based on the names alone.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM

“This is bigger than I thought it'd be.” Akeldama commented as she leaned over Pheonix to plaster herself to the window. The carriage passed by a myriad of wood and brick buildings until reaching the large stone wall that protected the main city. The official stirred to life, with Akeldama quickly hiding her stick of charcoal, and he shifted through his belongings until he pulled out some paperwork. Pheonix eyed the signet of the proctor on his papers, realizing that he was likely to speak with the gate guards. Letting him walk out with a charcoal mustache and circles on his cheek was a rather amusing thought, however Pheonix thought that he would be rather mad at their antics, and she was wanting an explanation more than amusement at the moment.

“Sir, you have a bit of drool on your face. You might want to wash up a bit.” Pheonix spoke up, ignoring the glare from her sister. She gave a short shrug to Akeldama, who gave a resigned sigh in return.

The proctor gave her a silent stare followed by a short nod of thanks, whereupon he proceeded to pull out his black handkerchief and wipe down his face. The charcoal smeared into a smoky hue that produced a chuckle out of Akeldama before he finally wiped it all off absentmindedly. The carriage rolled to a stop and he stepped out, leaving the two girls behind as he spoke with the guards. He returned shortly and the carriage resumed forward with the sisters at full attention now that they knew they were close to their destination.

<End drabble.>
This was eventually going to turn into a pretty long storyline with some complex little twists and turns. I didn't like how I wrote the entire introduction though X3; So I've yet to figure out how to rewrite it. Idea was helped inspired by a long time roleplaying buddy of mine.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 PM

“All you have to do is read one book and write a report. It's really not all that hard.” Clarimonde swept her blue eyes towards her companion, who only glared in reply. The pale girl sighed, being perhaps the fifth in less than an hour, “You do realize you need to pass this class right?”

Rosette glowered, her dark brown eyes flashing, “I'm fine with the writing part, it's the reading I hate. Just give me a computer with a good internet connection and I'll have a better piece than the story.”

“You're a walking paradox. No, not even that. You're just a walking oddity.” Rosette sniffed daintily against Clarimonde's words, “You're a student. Students hate writing. Granted most don't like reading either, but at least most would read a book in their own time of their own choosing. The teacher is trying to be lenient with you. She gave you full reign over what to choose.”

As the self-declared watcher of Rosette, Clarimonde slammed an hour glass upon the table with determination. The upper bulb was ripe with sand, the entwining branches dark and ominous, serving to make the neutral sand stand out even more, “I'm giving you one hour before I stop helping you completely.”

The dark eyed girl rolled her eyes, but a tiny voice – one amongst many – nudged at her conscious and planted a seed of guilt that quickly took root. Rosette mumbled under her breath, walking over to the shelves of books and grabbing a few at random. She sat down heavily with the burden set on the table in front of her, “Don't know why the teacher gave me a due date. Can't expect me to start turning in work this late in the semester.” When Clarimonde gave no response, she continued to complain to herself, “There's no such thing as time anyways. It's a human made concept.”

Silence finally filled the room, pierced only by the occasional shuffle of paper or hushed whispers. The hiss of the sand seemed to be the only constant thing, the only sound that could be depended on. Rosette stared at the sand, enthralled by the tiny crystalline figures of sand in their dance across the glass to a new flower.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 PM

A loud thwap jolted her out of her reverie, making her realize she had knocked a book off of her pile. She winced guiltily, putting it back in its former place. Staring at the open book that lay before her, Rosette began reading the first page. It sounded just like every other book she had read. With haste she flipped to the last page, her eyes ravaging the words just as quickly as the first. Her eyes peered back to the sand, begging them to defy gravity, to slow their descent, to give her more time.

The pile of sand was equally split now, and Rosette had yet to get further than the first and last page. What was the point? She knew how it ended, and that was all that really mattered. Moaning in anguish, Rosette laced her fingers through her hair, bowing her head and closing her eyes, though flashes of sand taunted her even behind closed lids.

“Rosette,” The gentle voice of Clarimonde prodded through the darkness, “Why are you so against reading a good story?”

“There's no point.” Rosette hissed, “I know the beginning, I know the end. It's just too predictable, and there's just no point to it. It's a waste of time.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM

“You said that time is nothing but a concept right?” Rosette nodded, and Clarimonde continued, “If we didn't make minutes, hours, months, years, if we had no concept of time, would time really not exist? Things grow, they change and evolve. A flower can bloom from a tiny seed, changing each day. We didn't make the concept of time, we just named it. Things will continue as they always have even without a name. It's not that a flower comes from a seed and dies in the end that matters. It's how beautiful that flower looks while it's in bloom. If you look at a flower, you know the end of them all. You know the end for all humans. It's the life that counts, the middle.” She flipped the book open to the middle, “This is the part that matters, the part that makes it count. There's only no point if you skip anything worth making a point on.”

“But if you know the end then you pretty much know everything that leads to it.” Rosette insisted, her pride flaring to life.

“Humans die in the end. Does that mean you're going to go kill yourself now? Do you know how your life will turn out? The many choices you have, the paths you can carve? Will you become a president, a scientist, an artist?” Clarimonde leaned forward, “Life is what you make of it. There is so much that can happen, so much that it means more than any ending alone. It will give meaning to an end.”

Rosette stared at Clarimonde, her pale skin and strawberry blonde hair suddenly appearing softer, sweeter, somehow more understanding and almost glowing in the light. It was at that moment she realized that she had fallen in love with Clarimonde. She had been with her since they were children, growing up together, changing. She knew that she wanted to grow old with Clarimonde, to continue blossoming under her care, to shine for her, and only her, in return.

The last bit of sand fell to the bottom of the hourglass. Rosette stared up at Clarimonde, “You're wrong about one thing. There really is no such thing as time. If I'm with you, I can live forever.”

<End drabble.>
This is just meant to be a stand alone short quip just for fun.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM

The mocking fingers of the sun had stretched across the measureless blue eye of the earth on the day Solana died. She couldn't remember what her death was like, nor the events that lead to her untimely misfortune. There were times when she could only assume that her brain was physically unable to operate then, seeing as the rest of her body had generally died along with it. The rest of the time she felt that she simply didn't want to remember.

Excluding her apparent death the night before, Solana had found the following day quite pleasant. Routine had led her to awake at seven in the morning, followed by the quick ritual of grabbing whatever clothes happened to be hanging up and the short walk across the street to the bakery. Solana had visited the bakery every day for the last four years after the sun began it's daily ascension. The owner of the store always had a cup of hot chocolate ready for her, alongside the first of the baked bread, fresh and steaming in its golden glory.

“Good morning, Kulon.” Solana greeted the owner, who smiled and waved in return. The pale young woman took her seat in front of the waiting cup and bread, pausing for a moment to fully appreciate the aroma of the hot chocolate and glazed bread.

“You're looking rather pale today, Solana.” Kulon had come around the counter, her blue apron dusted with flour and long brown hair pulled back into a bun. Several strands of hair had rebelled from the restricting bun, waving freely alongside her face.

“What're you talking about? I'm always pale. I glow in the dark.” A bare arm was procured under the lamplight to emphasize her point. Solana smirked over the rim of her cup as she took a tentative sip, tucking her arm back into the sleeve of her coat. She was rewarded by Kulon rolling her eyes.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 PM

“I meant more pale than you usually are.” Kulon took a seat across from her, hands smelling of fresh dough. It was about the time where she would be waiting for another batch of bread to bake. The mounds of dough were usually let to rise overnight, ready and waiting for the inevitable date with the oven the next morning.

Solana gave a short shrug, setting the still steaming cup down. Her appetite wasn't quite up to par today. When the silence continued to invade their conversation, Kulon gave a sigh of defeat and stood up again. They usually had plenty to talk about, but with Solana not taking up any bait for banter, Kulon could sense something was amiss. The bakery owner respected her privacy, however, and knew that Solana would share when she was ready to share.

The screeching of the chair on the floor, however, announced that such sharing would not be this day. Solana dropped the change on the front counter, where Kulon gave her another hard stare. Kulon was taller than average, and while Solana was almost as tall, Kulon still tried to take advantage of the two inches difference by folding her arms ominously across her chest and staring down her nose at the pale woman before her, “Better not be holding out on me. I'm older and wiser in life.”

Kulon received a snort from her customer. The irony on her lack of life almost tickled, “You're only a year older. Hardly counts.”

“A year can make a big difference.” Her defense was weak, but said with a tone of defiance that Solana didn't feel like provoking any further.

“I'll see you tomorrow morning.” Solana called out with a wave. She had never gone to the bakery at any other time than the morning, but had asked about it only once in all their four years. Apparently while Kulon was the owner, she only stayed for the morning shift for a few hours to get things running and smooth, then let employees take over the rest of the day. Her bakery was a part of a franchise under the name of Opheles Bakery. It had apparently branched out from a company that specialized in publishing high tech tools for improving quality in all aspects of life. A simple test with one of their many machines in a kitchen setting had prompted the employees to want a delicious snack, and so the first bakery had been created alongside the company. Once it opened to the general public, it had become enough of a profit maker that they expanded it. Solana never bothered to memorize the name of the company, seeing as she was only interested in what the Opheles Bakery would have to offer.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

“Sure thing. If you don't come, I'll hunt you down.” Kulon called out just before the door shut, the tiny golden tongue on the door handle singing lightly from it's dome. The bakery owner sighed quietly, her brown eyes turning back to the tasks at hand. There is always so much to do, after all.

The loud tick of the clock seemed to reverberate throughout the apartment. It wasn't until the interruption of a ringing phone that Solana realized she had been staring at a blank television for far too long. She reached over and picked up her cell phone, an older model but one that still worked for her needs. As she stared at the number that flashed on the phone's front screen, Solana realized that she had work today. She had never missed a day or had been late before, so she supposed it was only natural that they would call her.

“Hello?” A pause as the general greetings were exchanged, “Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to call in. I'm rather sick so I won't be making it in today. Could I schedule tomorrow off as well?”

Her perfect attendance prior to this day served her well, especially as she had saved up quite a few vacation weeks, up to five of those weeks being paid, “Actually, I'll just take my vacation time now. Two weeks should be fine.”

Solana felt perfectly justified in taking a vacation now, seeing as she did just die the other night. Saying the customary good byes, her pale hand clasped around the old technology, setting it down on the table on the side of the couch. The numbing fog that she had felt all day was starting to wear, and she found herself floundering in a pool of confusion. Most of yesterday was a blank spot in her memory. She remembered going to the bakery and speaking with Kulon, but after that it just became more fuzzy. Even work was a hazy blur in her mind, extending until it reached the black hole that completed her day. The only thing she was certain of, however, was that she had died. Her body seemed to tingle whenever the thought arose, the vague sense of drifting overriding her senses.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Solana wanted to at least doubt her death, especially as she was still here, breathing, but the solidity of it in her mind refused to waver. Shaking her head, Solana stood up and threw a coat on, though she wasn't very cold. Feeling more comfortable wrapped in something, Solana walked idly down the street. With a wardrobe consisting of mostly sweaters and thick, concealing clothing, Solana had unconsciously developed a sense of discretion that acted like a type of security blanket. Her pace was leisurely, but she didn't take the time to admire the warm spring day with the birds chirping and the flowers sprouting with new life. In this land of life, she was the walking dead.

While Solana was diligent in whatever she did, she was also easy going by nature. It was what allowed her to jump obediently through society's hoops, doing what she was told and when confronted with anger she would wait for it to wash over the person before trying a compromise and subjecting herself to their whim. In the past she had been accused of being a pushover, but Solana didn't hold the same opinion of herself. She could stand up for herself if she wanted, she merely chose not to. There was no reason to add to the statistics of easily angered people, and she wasn't interested in confrontational situations. Passive, apathetic, but not heartless.

It was these qualities that made her stop walking upon noticing a cat in the middle of the sidewalk. The creature hissed, back arched and the banner of a tail flagged. Apparently the bicycle approaching was much more intimidating than the people walking right by it. The bicyclist passed by Solana, coming too close to the cat for its comfort. The cat bolted with the finesse that came natural to many felines, dashing towards the open road. While not very many cars trafficked the street, seeing the cat take refuge in the middle to continue hissing at the bike made Solana feel uneasy. With an irritated sigh, Solana walked across, clapping her hands in a pitiful attempt to startle the creature away. In exchange it gave her a glare, as if calling upon her idiocy. The pale woman put her hands on her hips, strawberry-blond hair wavering in the breeze that was picking up.

“So you don't like humans on wheels but you could care less if a human approaches you threateningly?” She accused the cat, who was then prompted to lick its paw as the bike was safely out of view. Solana stepped towards the cat, who indignantly strode off as she had apparently invaded the safety zone. Shaking her head, Solana stepped back towards the sidewalk.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Of course, it wouldn't be proper to leave the middle of a street without a proper injury. As Solana walked around a parked car, the driver's door opened quickly, hitting her from behind with enough force to knock her off balance. Gravity offered its hand for a dance, which Solana couldn't help but accept. The spin to the ground was over all too quickly, ending with Solana laying on her stomach and hands splayed out in a feeble attempt to protect her face.

“Ow..” Solana stated blankely, sitting up slowly to inspect the damage. Knees sore, hands scrapped, and a rather unpleasant cut in the palm of her left hand. The blood came out slowly, as if unwilling to leave its hostess. Blue eyes were locked in awe at the strange dark red liquid, until a distant voice penetrated the hypnosis.

“Are you alright?” The frantic voice belonged to that of the driver, who had clambered out with wide eyes upon discovering the impromptu attack “I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there. I wasn't looking, my deepest apologies.”

Solana looked up at the woman, her black hair in short curls that dusted her shoulders, with hints of gray starting to show in single strands. The orange dress the woman wore had a strange sense of matching the spring season, yet appropriate for her age. It was a strange combination.

“I'm fine, just a few scratches. My own clumsiness, really.” Solana insisted, ignoring the jabbing pain as she stood. The woman bent to help her up, pausing with worry upon seeing the bloodied palm.

“I'm really sorry,” The stranger repeated, “Let me take care of that for you, please.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Before Solana could reply, the woman had dove back into her vehicle, shuffling until withdrawing victoriously with a white box. Within lay the bandaids and creams of a well stocked first aid kit. Gentle, warm hands applied a wipe to clear the blood, followed by a clear liquid and finally a bandaid. The clear strip instantly bonded to her skin, melting invisibly into the flesh to protect the wound as all band aids did., “Let me buy you a drink?”

“Oh, no, it's fine. This was quite helpful.” Solana said, feeling embarrassed about the whole ordeal, “I hope your car isn't scratched?”

“My car? Goodness that's the last thing I'm worried about!” She laughed, “I am Enikie.”

Solana grasped the offered hand and shook, “I'm Solana.”

“And please, let me buy you a drink. It'll make me feel better.” Enikie insisted, the concerned look etched in her face. Feeling rather guilty, Solana gave in with a nod.

“Well, couldn't hurt.” And it was in this manner that the two headed into a cafe. The older woman paid for two cups of tea, settling into a chair close to the door.

“Do you always drink tea?” Solana inquired.

“Actually I rather enjoy wines and such, but I wasn't sure if you'd be old enough or if the situation called for alcohols.” She laughed easily, her face reminding Solana of a mother figure, “Though I really don't drink a lot, I just like the tastes so I use it as a way of treating myself once in a while. I actually run an orphanage, so I dare not bring anything of the sort inside.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Solana arched an eyebrow, impressed, “An orphanage? That must be quite a task.”

“I enjoy it.” Enikie said with a gentle smile, “I had the resources to start up, so I did. It's rather difficult to keep everything maintained, but I love what I do. Tiresome, yes, but not hateful.” She chuckled.

Solana smiled and confessed, “I think I've only seen orphanages in movies. Didn't realize there were any in the area.”

“It's actually about an hour out, so I wouldn't really call it in the area. I come out once every few weeks to do some good grocery shopping. You could stop by to see it if you'd like.”

“I don't own a car, so I'm sure the walk would be a lot longer then an hour.” Solana smiled sheepishly, sipping the faint chamomile tea.

“Oh? Well, if you help me carry the grocery bags I could give you a free lift there and back.” Enikie offered. The sheer amount of trust there surprised Solana, and she couldn't help but like the kindly lady.

“Sure.” It was, of course, a brash move of trust that Solana normally wouldn't do, but she really didn't want to be back in her apartment alone. That would mean she would have nothing to do but think, and thinking led to terrible thoughts that she wasn't ready to face. The two finished the tea and wandered through the neighboring grocery store, with Enikie sharing her vast knowledge of books. Solana was impressed with her knowledge, and spoke little. She was happy to simply listen.

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM

The car ride was indeed a long one, wherein several curvy roads and lots of trees passed by until a smaller town came appeared. Enikie pulled up in front of a two story home. Solana would describe it as humble, but cute, in a home-like sort of way. Solana followed Enikie up to the front door, both hands filled with grocery bags as she unlocked the door.

“Ester, I'm back.” Enikie called out as she nudged the door open, turning back to look over at Solana, “The older children have already left for school, so you'll probably be swamped by all the energetic ones.”

As if on cue, two young children dashed across the entry, the first being a screaming boy followed by a laughing girl who held a spider in her hand. Solana stared at the oddity of the situation until urged by Enikie to follow. Walking around the staircase, they unloaded the bags in the kitchen. While small, there was enough counter space to actually cook full meals. Houses these days were built more vertically than horizontally so as to conserve space, which meant luxuries such as counter space was usually one of the first things to be sacrificed.

“I'm leaving now!” Solana looked up at the sound of a man's voice coming from the hallway by the front door.

“Oh wait, Ester meet Solana.” At Enikie's prompting, the young man peered in and gave a curt wave.

“Nice to meet. Later.” He left the two women with another wave.

“Don't mind him, that's just how he is.” Enikie said while putting the green beans in the fridge, “He babysits when I go out. I'm shorthanded so he offers to watch them when I go shopping. It must inconvenience him, but he's actually a nice guy and he doesn't complain about it. Here, start chopping these carrots.”

Nightingale
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Solana took the bag of carrots from her, hesitantly opening them. She started rinsing them as Enikie began pulling fish out of its package. Enikie gave her another warm smile, “Hope you like fish?”

“Ah, yes, I like fish.” In truth she didn't like fish at all, save for perhaps tuna or shrimp, but she didn't want to be rude. Nor did she want to really leave just yet. The children's playful voices could be heard in the background, and the beginning smells of the cooking food warmed the air. Solana felt oddly comfortable here, though a bit out of place as a stranger cooking lunch in someone else's home.

In less than an hour the table was set and a total of six children were squished in benches with eager, cheerful faces. They were all fairly young, varying around ages six or seven, Solana guessed.

“Remember after lunch is time for chores.” Enikie spoke with a firm voice as she set out the food. The children all agreed in unison, then burst into little giggles as they continued whatever discussions they held before reaching the table.

Solana ate the food in silence, listening to the tales of great robotic battles and magic powers with an amused expression. The children finished off their food quickly, the vegetables on a few of their plates in neat little piles so as to appear that more was eaten then actually was. After a general dismissal, the children took the plates to the kitchen and scurried about a routine that they all seemed comfortable with. Solana guessed it was something they did every day.