View Poll Results: Is this support group actually a good idea?
Yes! I will join! 12 42.86%
No, it won't work. 0 0%
Yes, and I will be on the sidelines to cheer, etc. 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 PM

This support group is for writers who need to be pushed to write, or need to talk about their ideas with others, or just need a place to vent about happy or sad things. Whatever the reason, this group is here for the writer!

This support group is currently undergoing planning to get a little more organized--not a set-in-stone structure, but just some goals that we can strive for and follow without feeling cramped into a YOU MUST WRITE corner.

Here are some suggestions for writers to consider and say yes or no to. Please post if you have any more ideas. Let's make this writing group great and have it be healthy, helpful, and long-lived!

Last edited by Goblin Maiden; 05-04-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziv Xanthus

Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 PM

I really do think that this is a great idea. I, for one, really need a person to make me work, but cannot really find one that will do it. I'd love to join, but at the moment, I cannot really write much since I am getting ready for college and all, but once I am settled, you can see me being on this thread more often! I hope all goes well and that many join and use this thread to help them achieve there goals!

Goblin Maiden

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM

It looks like it's just you and me that are interested, Ziv. That kind of makes me sad... I might cry... ;__;

Okay, or not. But still, I must confess to feeling just a tad disappointed. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. =D

Vall'na Racill
Astrological Phenomenon
Send a message via AIM to Vall'na Racill Send a message via MSN to Vall'na Racill Send a message via Yahoo to Vall'na Racill

Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

I really think it will work, and it's just the kind of thing I need! But I'm not supposed to be online very often...and it annoys my grandma when I'm on the computer for long...so I'll only be able to check in every few days lol. :P

Bookbreath
Josette Shakespeare
Send a message via MSN to Bookbreath Send a message via Yahoo to Bookbreath

Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM

I would love to join. I need someone to make me write. I have all these Learning to write books and online tips. I just need help pulling them together and sitting down to write.

Goblin Maiden

Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Yaaay! So that makes... *Mai counts head* Four people? That's enough, right?

And of course others can join anytime. ^__^

But do you want to get started now? Do you think we should have something else going on to help people to write besides the "I'm going to write this many words today"?

Any ideas you've got, any at all, let us all know. =D

Bookbreath
Josette Shakespeare

Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Maybe we could post little blurbs about what we write. Then we could bounce ideasoff each other to make things better.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM

This sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I'd love to join. The only problem is that I'm suffering from MAJOR writer's block. I haven't worked on my stories in two years. It's just been busy period after busy period. TT.TT

Goblin Maiden

Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM

Cool, psy (can I call you that?), of course you can join. ^__^ What kind of writer's block? Maybe someone would be willing to bounce ideas back and forth with you or something.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 AM

Psy is fine. ^^ Hmm. I suppose it's the kind of writer's block where I just don't know where to start. I had several writing projects going on before the craziness of Ack!I'm in college! began, and I just haven't been able to pick them back up. I don't really want to just scrap them and start something else, but I have no idea which story to choose and what I was thinking.

Bookbreath
Josette Shakespeare

Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Psy, I would love to help you. I get writers block bad when school starts up (which happens in like a week and a half) so I know what your going through.

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM

I'm doing writing prompts on my own right now, so I'm not sure I could actually participate fully (depending on how big the word count is), but I would love to stand on the sidelines and cheer! Woo!

If I may throw my two cents in?
Most of the Writers Groups like this I've seen/been in have a set daily word count. Usually something simple like 300 words a day and 500 on Fridays. When people are finished they post to say so and people cheer! -insert cheering here-

Sometimes, when people are especially proud of their little blurbs or need help with them, they toss them into the ring and people get talking (or cheer some more!). Sometimes there are individual races between a couple people ("I can get to 1k words faster than you can! Nyeh Nyeh!").
Otherwise it's just people hanging out and talking like they always do.

But that's just what I've been involved in. -shrug-

@Psyrien: If it helps any, when that happens to me I take the characters I write something ridiculous about them. It doesn't usually have anything to do with the story, but it helps me get in touch with the characters again and sometimes that makes me start writing again.

Goblin Maiden

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea, Nolori. ^__^ Okay, guys? Think we should do something like what Nolori said? We'd keep the word-count relatively low, and if you want to set personal goals for yourselves or happen to go above the minimum required number of words, then it makes it all the better, right?

Bookbreath
Josette Shakespeare

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM

I think to start we should keep it at 300. Then maybe later on make it more.

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in here much guys. I've just been browsing GD and RP forums. Glad I came back here though 'cus I've been thinking of beginning the story I was planning out. I think that all the ideas given were pretty good. Like having a competition of who writes this the quickest but effectively. I also like the idea of like sharing our ideas, but not stealing them. It'll help to get other peoples opinions, but the risk is that someone may steal it, so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Nolori

Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 PM

@Ziv: I'm not so worried about stealing, since I think one of two things really happen. One - Ideas get stolen, but will end up getting so changed it really doesn't matter anymore or Two - An entire story gets stolen, but usually once you write things out it is copywrited to you. (Depends on the copywrite laws of where you live.)

If you are really worried, the easiest way is to print it out and mail it to yourself. It's pretty much the poor-man's copywrite gaurntee! =D

Also: Yay I am helpful!

ThyFaerieQueen
Chase the Morning, Yeild for Not...

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Hey, I would like to join the group. I'm special that way!!

No, seriously, I wanna join!

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM

@Nolori:
Hmm, I never heard the mailing one xD lol
And you are right. I was a bit worried that someone would steal my idea, but now that I think of it, it probably won't happen. Each writer writes differently and has different concepts, plots, and ideas, so they wouldn't be the same. You rock for telling me this! <3

Nolori

Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM

@Ziv: Glad to be of service! I mean, I do understand where you're coming from. I used to be pretty worried about it to. But when I really feel unsure about posting something I mail it to myself.
Oh! I forgot to mention, if you DO mail it to yourself. Do Not Open It. Opening it ruins the validity of it. I'm not sure how that works exactly (the US Postal System baffles me) but I know that you're not supposed to open it.

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 PM

@Nolori:
How'd you figure it all out? lol, just wondering.
Ahh, you're quite the editor too. I may come to you for editing of my pieces, although, I am writing more of a manga at the moment, just without the drawings since I can't really draw lol, but I suppose it's like writing a script, no?

Nolori

Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM

@Ziv: Thank you! I'd like that to be my profession when I get out of college, so that's quite a compliment! And I'd be happy to. Grammar is still grammar after all, as are plot holes still plot holes.
If it helps any, one of my best friends writes and draws her own manga stories. (Not published, but darn it I wish they were!) I help her with plot and characterization issues all the time. I tend to be a bit more lenient with manga if only because a vast majority of them are more lax about their plot and character rules.

And I found out about the mail thing from a math teacher who knew I wrote stories. My father, english teacher, and my mother watching Judge Joe Brown confirmed it. xD

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven

Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM

@Nolori:
Well you'll be a great one for sure! :)
Ah, she does? I wish I could read hers. From the parenthesis it seems they're really good! :)
They are quite lenient about them now that I think about. Hm, it is quite interesting. Can you tell me how she goes about writing a manga. Does she draw and write or write then draw? How does she write the plot and such? Like a regular story or less detailed and like a script telling a person when the character is entering and leaving?

Math teacher knew this? Wow, that's cool! Haha, Judge Joe Brown. It is true you can learn a lot from those judge shows! :D

Nolori

Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 PM

@Ziv: Thanks. ='D

They're really cute. She tends to have a lot of love stories, but the characters are so funny that I don't mind all the romance. (Something I'm not normally in to.)
Usually, she writes out in a very, very loose script form and then draws it out. She'll do that two (sometimes three times) a scene and then move on. It looks a little something like:
---
Panel 1:
[Bob] -enters the room with a smile and wave. Side view. Door + wall background- Hi Mary!

Panel 2:
[Mary] -stands behind counter. Unhappy. Folded arms. Front view. Counter + wall + door to living room- You're late.
[Bob] -shrugs, sloppy smile. 3/4 view. same bg- Sorry.
---
I just pulled that out of my bum, she doesn't have a Mary or a Bob, but you see what I mean. =]

Ziv Xanthus
Gift from Heaven

Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM

@Nolori:
Ahh, i love stories like those. My story won't be anything like that though. I'm more of an eerie, gloomy, mysterious, dark action writer. Hmm, I'll post a brief description of what I'm planning on writing in the next post. :D

Ahh, that helps a lot!!! Thanks <3
Although, I don't know much about art so I'm not sure about the 3/4 view and stuff like that, but I can manage I think.

Nolori

Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM

@Ziv: Well my suggestion is that you jot down any poses you see distinctly in your head and then when you get an artist, talk to him/her about what he/she feel comfortable drawing and go for poses from there.
It's easier for my friend because she's drawing it too.

Oo, you're going to want a very distinct style then when you find an artist. I hope it all works out for you when you start searching!