G-Dragon
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 PM

((This is supposed to be the second part of a series of short stories I'm planning on doing. This is the second one of the group but I'm not planning to post the first time anytime soon as I need to make some major edits on it.))

((This is Chapter one. Chapter two will be up as soon as I'm done with it!))

Chapter One

KENTON

A small boy with spiky white-blonde hair and the bluest eyes was sitting on a seat in an airplane that was about to lift off. He was in the First Class section and he was by himself, without parents, siblings, family members, or friends. The boy, sat there, unmoving, staring out the window as if he was figuring out how to solve the hardest puzzle in the world.
A flight attendant approached him, with a worried look on her face.
“Excuse me young man, are your parents with you?" she asked. “Our airlines don't let minors travel alone."
The boy, it seemed, liked to speak as little as possible. He showed his passport to the attendant, pointing at his birthday.
“1992? That means that you're..." she paused, calculating in her head, “Eighteen years old? But you're so...small...T-That's-"
The boy cut her off, finishing her sentence, “Impossible? I'm living proof that it is possible, unless that passport is forged?" He agitatedly put his passport away and turned his head back towards the window. The flight attendant decided to leave it at that and left the strange boy to his thoughts.

DEHLILAH

“You know what? I don't care about what happens to you anymore. You can die and I swear, I'm not going to be at your funeral. Better yet, why don't I kill you with these two hands? One less regret I'll have."
Dehlilah stared at her angry friend's face in disbelief and said, “I don't believe it, Jeanie. I really don't." She left walked out of the classroom, feeling a penetrating glare on her back.

Once Dehlilah was outside, she started running. Maybe it was because she knew Jeanie was right, that Jeanie wasn't the real bitch, but she was and Jeanie was right. Or maybe it was because the sun was shining ever so brightly while her heart was breaking apart, little by little. Or maybe it was because no matter how much she thought about it, it always came down to one fact: that no one actually really cared about her.
Or, it could have been because she had a weird feeling that something bad was going to happen. And, surely enough, as she neared her house and slowed down her pace, a strange elementary school boy was standing in front of her house. He was wearing a jacket, hood up. The boy stood a few feet in front of the door, peering at the house as if it was a castle of some sort. But almost as soon as Dehlilah saw him, the boy turned around and saw her. With lightning speed, he jumped over the fence that gated her house and ran in the opposite direction. As he was dashing away, the speed pushed the boy's hood down and revealed spiky white-blond hair.

Dehlilah lived by herself. Her parents lived in a different country and they thought she was living with her rich uncle. But, her uncle got sick of her heartless attitude and bought her a house for herself. She didn't mind; living alone was fun. No one ordered her around or anything.
Because she was overwhelmed by today's events, as soon as she got home, Dehlilah dropped herself onto the sofa. Her bedroom was upstairs and climbing the stairs didn't seem that welcoming to her.
Delilah thought back to her fight with Jeanie. It started off as the same old teenage story: two best friends liked the same guy and one ended up with the guy, while the other was heartbroken. Their guy was Damien and Jeanie was the one who ended up with him, while Delilah was left behind. But soon, Jeanie found out that “her man" was only after her because he wanted to make Delilah jealous. The couple soon broke up, only for Damien to end up with Delilah. Jeanie, being a nice person, didn't blame Delilah and supported the new couple. However, Damien's “love" was changing Delilah: her personality, her clothing and her mind. Jeanie noticed all this and told her friend to break up with her boyfriend. That was what their recent fight was about.
All this thinking made Delilah tired. Soon, she fell asleep, dreaming about a life that she didn't have.

Last edited by G-Dragon; 07-18-2010 at 01:11 AM..

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dragon
… the bluest eyes…
In comparison to what? I’d just say ‘blue eyes’, unless you’re going to give the reader a comparison.

Quote:
He was in the First Class section and he was by himself…
You could make this more concise with something like: “He was by himself in the First Class section…”

Quote:
But you're so...small...T-That's-"
Usually, when you’ve got ellipses you should have a space after them so as to show it’s not part of the same word. Not terribly important, because it’s pretty obvious it’s not, but still worth mentioning.

Quote:
… why don't I kill you with these two hands?
The phrasing of this seems… awkward to me. ‘… kill you with my hands’ maybe? Or ‘… kill you with my bare hands’?

Quote:
… in disbelief and said, “I don't believe it, Jeanie. I really don't."
This seems kind of redundant, having ‘disbelief’ and ‘don’t believe’ so close together. Maybe find a synonym for ‘disbelief’?

Quote:
Maybe it was because she knew Jeanie was right, that Jeanie wasn't the real bitch, but she was and Jeanie was right.
This sentence was really awkward. I had to read it a few times to understand it. Maybe rephrase it? ‘Maybe it was because she knew Jeanie was right. Jeanie wasn’t the bitch. Delilah was.’? The last “Jeanie was right” was what really threw me off, I think.

Quote:
Or maybe it was because the sun was shining ever so brightly while her heart was breaking apart, little by little.
I’d cut out “ever” and “little by little”.

Quote:
And, surely enough, as she neared her house and slowed down her pace…
I’d cut out ‘And’ and ‘down’.

Quote:
… peering at the house as if it was a castle of some sort.
I was a little confused by this. Was he staring at it in awe? With trepidation? Is he intimidated by her house? Unless the fact that you refer to this as a castle is important later either to plot or motif, I think you should change it.

Quote:
But almost as soon as Dehlilah saw him…
I’d cut out ‘But’.

Quote:
But, her uncle got sick of her heartless attitude and bought her a house for herself.
So she’s emancipated from her parents? Unless she’s eighteen, this is illegal. Minors can’t live by themselves. Also, does her uncle pay for everything? Does she have a job? This raises a lot of legitimacy issues. Better maybe that he is just never home? Or that he technically owns the house, but lets her live there alone?

Quote:
No one ordered her around or anything.
I’d cut out ‘or anything’.

Quote:
Because she was overwhelmed by today's events…
I think you can cut this out. I think it’s rather obvious.

Quote:
But soon…
I’d cut out ‘But’

--

I admit I’m curious about Keaton! Good luck with it!

G-Dragon
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks! I'll edit it with your corrections.
And I'm probably not going to update anytime soon... I'm too busy :(