NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Akai smiled at Connor's suggestion. Even though he wanted an excuse to be sent home, he now had a reason to stay. He really felt attracted to Connor, though he wouldn't admit that so soon. "Lunch and dinner together sounds lovely," he said, with another wink. "It's a date."

He left before Connor could say anything else. He knew that the man was taken, and probably felt uncomfortable having another man hit on him as much as he was. Akai just couldn't help it. Besides, this Mason character didn't sound very nice. It pissed him off when beautiful men like Connor got stuck with douchebags for boyfriends.

He made it back to his tent after an uneventful walk. He found his bed easily and crawled onto it, missing his own bed already. He wondered if the bed would be more comfortable if someone else was sleeping with him. He sighed as he got under his thin blanket. It was a shame that the only man he wanted to have in his bed was on the other side of the camp. He closed his eyes and found himself easily falling asleep, despite his surroundings.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 PM

Akai didn't stick around long enough for Connor to say goodnight, but he was almost glad for that. He felt his words would have tangled in the mixture of emotions boiling away inside him, making him look like an idiot. But he didn't leave immediately---Connor cleaned the small mess up, throwing it in the bin at the side of the room and cleaning his hands. He heard that the mail carrier would be arriving tomorrow morning, and rather looked forward to that. His parents had promised to send a letter as soon as possible, and in a world full of mechanical, technological things, he was glad that most of the people here seemed to enjoy the art of true letter-writing, even if it took a bit longer to send.

Closing and locking the door behind him, Connor went slowly toward the tent he shard with Remmy and slid inside. Remmy was there, organizing his side of the tent with various pictures, books, and personal items. "How'd your first real day go?" He asked, smiling rather brightly as he put aside what looked like a red photo album. It had a dark bar on the top of the spine and Connor immediately recognized it as an electronic photo album. Each page was a paper-thin electronic display showing the uploaded photos in the order in which they were uploaded. It had been a while since Connor had seen a real camera meant solely for capturing moments. "Heard you had a fainter."

Connor nodded rather heavily, sitting on his bed and raking his hand through his hair. "A fear of needles isn't necessarily uncommon, Remmy. He wasn't out for long."

The blonde man nodded, smiling as he unpacked more out of one of his bags, leaving Connor in relative silence. He kicked his boots off, sliding them under his table and lying on his bed, turning his back to the rest of the tent and sliding his hand under the blanket to wrap his fingers around the stuffed cat. It had always been a source of comfort for him when no one else could be. It let him close his eyes, fall asleep, despite the stress the current situation gave.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 AM

It felt as though as soon as he had fallen asleep, they were being roused by a loud trumpet call. There was no time to wake up, before the sergeant came into their tents and they had to stand for inspection. Before long they were jogging around the compound. Akai ran with his shirt wrapped around his waist. Even though it was 4am, it was already really hot. As they ran past the medical tents, he glanced over at them in hope that he could see Connor watching them.

They had time to shower and shave, which Akai appreciated after the sweltering run. Once he had finished he had to dodge a few of the meaner men, who were holding wet towels with mean looks in their eyes.

They had a quick breakfast of flavourless porridge in the tent designed as a mess hall. He ate by himself, waiting for Connor to turn up. They were leaving for shooting practice as the medical staff entered the hall. Akai looked for Connor and pretended to bump into him. He wished that he was still topless.

"Sorry..." he grinned at the man. "Good morning. Slept well?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM

Connor's dreams were fragmented and nonsensical if put together. He dreamed memories in slight distortion, his parents arriving at the airport before the flight he was on was called, hugging him and telling him they would miss him and would soon send a letter in hopes to hear how things were beginning to go. He didn't see himself, but he heard his voice, asking where Mason was. Then his mother's rather concerned face, and his father telling him that Mason wouldn't be there in time to say goodbye. The world tilted into a large shop whose walls were full of guns. Guns from the early 2100s, sliding into the 2200s, growing more frequent and more complex in build, but at the same time easier to fire and handle. The oldest, those collector items from the 2000s, were behind glass. He was leaving the shop with a few new arrivals---test weapons to be shot and examined by his parents before becoming mass productions.

Then the world melted, sand pouring in, cacti springing up and a new---though very familiar---face appearing. Akai gave him an envelope and smiled brightly, speaking only "It's a date" before turning and evaporating. Connor woke with a trumpet and siren ringing in his ears and groaned, looking up at the canvas tent then forcing his eyes closed again. The medics didn't necessarily have to get up early unless there was an emergency, and there was none. He turned over, tucking his cat underneath him and burying his nose in its old, well-kept fiber fur and returning to a rather fitful sleep until the sun was a little higher.

The hip that had been supporting him through the majority of the night was aching when he walked with a few other medical personnel toward the mess hall, an extensive tent that spread out across the eastern wall of the compound. With each step he took a moment to stretch his leg a bit, stepping into the fan-cooled tent and glancing around. A line was at the back of the tent with apron-clad men and women serving a small variety of foods he was sure wasn't five-star quality, but healthy nonetheless. He hung back when the familiar face from his fragmented dream bumped him slightly. "Hey...! Well, I slept about as well as you could imagine on a little cot in a new place... And you?" Connor kept looking behind him, expecting someone to come around with envelopes, hoping that letters and mail would arrive before noon.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 AM

"Same... It seemed like I had just fallen asleep when we had to start running around the yard." He wanted to ask Connor if he had seen him, but bit his tongue. There was no point to ask anyway, it was obvious that he had just woken up. The medics were lucky. They didn't have to exercise or train hard all day, and they could sleep in. He stuck his tongue out at Connor. "You guys have all the luck. I have to wait until lunch before I get to see if I got anything from home."

After training, that was. He sighed and said his goodbye, following the rest of the men and women out onto the shooting range. He was pleased to have time to think, as they were taught how to hold and fire a sniper rifle. Akai held it like a natural and hit 100% of his targets in the vital points. The higher ups seemed impressed when they called him to fire again. It seemed like he was the best shooter they had and it made him happy to think he was good at something. But shooting live people was a different story.

He was glad to get away from the loud bangs of the guns at lunchtime. They were allowed an hour break before going to do more training and exercising. He found an empty table and went to sit at it with the serving of some sort of mashed meat he had been given by the cooks. On his way back to the table, he was stopped by an important looking officer. He stood rigid like he had been trained to do when addressed by him.

"Soldier, you received mail today," the officer spoke, in a loud and strict voice. "We have confiscated it."

Akai wanted to complain but instead he replied with a, "Yes sir. May I ask why, sir?"

"It contained a letter not written in English. We have confiscated it under suspicion of spy activity."

"Sir, please... It's Japanese. Probably from my mother. I'm not a spy for the Chinese. Why would I support a country that attacked my mother's homeland and enslaved it?" He realised he was being borderline informal and straightened himself up again. "Sir, may I have the rest of my letter? I'll tell my mother not to write in Japanese to me, sir."

The officer looked over him as though expecting him to break down and start begging for forgiveness for being a traitor. When he didn't even twitch, he snorted slightly and pulled an open envelope from within his jacket. "Here you go, soldier. If we find the rest harmless, we will give it to you."

Akai thanked the man, even though he wanted to punch him in his bigoted face. He was sick of being accused of being a Chinese spy. Even before he was drafted, the people in his neighbourhood would vandalise his home. They were called all sorts of names on the streets and threatening phone calls made them disconnect their home phone. His mother was such a nervous wreck that she refused to leave their home, and that made Akai really mad. He thought that joining the army would prove to the others that he was American and that he wanted to fight for his country. Maybe they'd leave his parents alone. But it hadn't worked so far.

He dug into his meal, eyeing his letter. It was from his father, written in English. His mother wasn't so good at her second language, so that was why she would have written a small letter to him in Japanese. He could speak both languages, though he tried not to speak Japanese in public in case some ignorant person thought he was speaking Chinese. His mood brightened when he saw Connor enter the tent. He waved at the man until he caught his eye, gesturing to the empty seat beside him.

Last edited by NekoLen; 01-16-2014 at 02:01 AM..

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 AM

Connor laughed a bit. Akai had a point---for now the medics and surgeons were lucky, sleeping in, getting rest throughout the entire night, currently dealing with simple cases that were easily remedied. He bid Akai goodbye when he had to leave for more training, rather hurriedly eating breakfast and beginning to pace restlessly. His phone was on. It had been standard issue, similar to a beeper from far into the past, but more specific. The medics carried one that had to be on at all times, and when an emergency of varying degree appeared, a medic would be called to their tent to assess the situation.

When he passed tent B-3, Remmy came out with a series of envelopes. "Hey! You have a few letters! Mail bag came around a little bit ago."

Connor gasped, snatching the two envelopes with a hurried thanks and running across the compound to a small shaded area near the back wall. One was from his parents, signed by his mother. He could tell because her handwriting was sweeping and elegant, and he had learned that style from her. The other was from Mason, his telltale messy signature scrawled over the center of the envelope. His happy apprehension was cut a little with a painful stab at his chest. He set it aside and tore open the one from his parents, glad to see two letters---one from his mother and one from his father. They missed him already. His daily visits were always looked forward to, and his place at the gun store---a part time job, but a job nonetheless---seemed empty. They promised that his siblings would soon contact him as well, but all in all, they looked forward to a phone call when Connor could manage it.

He folded them and put them in one of his pockets, almost hesitating before tearing open the second envelope and, rather shakily, opening the folded paper and seeing a typed letter. He was taken slightly aback at the blocky text, the sheer unfeeling way everything was typed out. Connor sighed, pursing his lips and reading through. Mason didn't apologize for missing Connor before he left, then made note of the current several days that had passed on his end. A new job, a new school, some new friends. But the long letter dissolved into an angry tangent of emotional isolation, apparently strictly because Connor had decided to go overseas rather than stay in the states, keep to his life as it was. He ended the note curtly, with a simple 'Hope to see you soon'.

The shade was hot, but not quite as warm as direct sunlight. However suddenly, it had grown cold, and his heart felt as if a hole had opened up beneath it, letting it fall. A bell rang suddenly, noting that lunch had arrived, and Connor stood on shaking legs. He felt somewhat lightheaded, stuffing that note in his pocket as well and almost staggering toward the mess hall and catching his breath before entering. Mason was acting horrible...

When he entered, Connor's gaze scanned the people already congregated and caught sight of a frantically waving Akai. He managed a real smile, nodding and joining the line and picking up a tray from the several stacks, sliding through the very limited buffet of what looked like mostly canned vegetables and fruits, and previously frozen meats. Nodding at each, he received what looked to be chicken, carrots, and pears, and went to where Akai sat. "Hey... You got your letter?" He was sure the mail had been entirely distributed by now.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Akai nodded, his mouth full of what he'd describe as meat paste. He swallowed and showed it to Connor, having read it before hand. His father talked about how proud he was of his son, and how his mother worried about him every day. Most people would find it embarrassing, but not Akai. He was a real momma's boy and he wasn't afraid to show it. He was best friends with both his parents and he did miss them quite a bit already. "Dad says our cat is getting sick. She's like... A million years old..." He was exaggerating of course. Pets lived their average life spans, with options to turn them into androids so they would stick around a lot longer. His father was old school and refused to turn Patches into a robot.

"Okaasan's letter was confiscated," he added bitterly, biting into a basically raw piece of carrot. "They think it's suspicious..."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 AM

Connor smiled a little, leaning forward a bit to see what was written. But the mention of the confiscated letter put a sour expression on his face. "Well, I'm sure you'll get it back soon. It'll just take a moment's glance by a translator to tell them it's written in Japanese." He nodded certainly, biting into the canned pear and staring at his tray for a moment. "I... got a few letters too..." He reached into his pocket and dug the papers out, lying them in a row. "It's... mostly good news, I'm glad to say. They... Ahem, they miss me. And I miss them too, but I guess that's business as usual around here, isn't it?" He laughed a bit, studying the letters and what they held, ignoring the third. "Even if I'm not... or not going to be... in any real danger here..." He shook his head, manipulating his food a little with the end of his fork. "... I guess I worry about everyone else more than myself."

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 AM

Akai glanced over them, his eyes lingering on the typed letter. "Did your doctor write to you about something?" he asked, pointing to it. It was so strange to see such an formal letter. Writing letters and sending them overseas was becoming a dying art. Anything relating to business or health, library books etc., would be sent via email. Everyone owned thin tablet-like devices that doubled as a phone as well as a pc. Even though they were so thin, they were powerful enough to play any holographic movie or detailed game. Akai missed his, mainly because he had been so used to going on the internet whenever he liked.

He read the name typed at the bottom of the letter and felt like a fist gripped at his heart. From Mason...? He suddenly felt very sad for Connor. What kind of boyfriend typed such a curt letter to his lover? "Oh... I'm sorry..." He wished he could really say what he wanted. That Mason was a douche and Connor was better off without him. But how could he? He barely knew the man. He couldn't get involved in his personal life so... quickly.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 AM

Connor bit his lip, bringing the third letter toward him and folding it tightly. "It's... okay. That's just the way he is." He stuffed the letter away without concern, but took an extra moment to fold the rest and slide them away more gently. "He's not... really... feely. Doesn't like to really be touched, or spend too much time with anyone... To be honest I'm not sure what I saw in him from the beginning..." He stabbed a carrot and stared at it, then looked up to Akai. "I think it's too much hassle. It just... bothers me. He bothers me. I guess I've just been too... kind... to break it off, y'know?"

Glancing up, Connor inspected the room. Its long benches were mostly occupied. "Took too long to figure it out, I guess... I had to go overseas to realize what a... self-absorbed person he is." Other words fit the bill, but Connor couldn't say them so much as think them. He wasn't the kind to call someone any obscene name or hurl insults at them. His letter to Mason would be kinder than he would want it, but curt and to the point. Handwritten. Serious. He looked at Akai as if mentally sealing that decision with the other man, rather than himself.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 AM

"Well, you always are blinded when you first meet someone... I mean, some of the guys I've been with... You wouldn't believe..." he smiled, chuckling slightly thinking about them. "My first boyfriend was a neat freak. Had to organise and clean anything and everything. Was a nightmare trying to get with him, if you know what I mean." His name was Sam and Akai broke up with him after just a few weeks. "He had a cute nervous tick I was attracted to... Too bad the attraction didn't stick around."

Talking about his personal life was a ploy to make Connor feel more comfortable with him, and maybe to forget about his horrible boyfriend. Akai hoped that the man would break it off with Mason. It sounded like he had thought about it for a long time.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 AM

Connor smiled a little, but something struck him. If the attraction hadn't stuck around that time, maybe it would be the same now. Attraction varied, depending on time or knowledge. Connor had first adored Mason for his appearance---carmel-tone skin, hair black as night and eyes that looked black on first inspection but, when closer, became a heavy bluish-green tone, like deep ocean water. Then little by little, Mason's true disposition became evident, seeping out of the woodwork a little at a time, taking the shine off the first impression Connor had fed off of.

He pushed the thought away and rested his elbow on the tabletop. "Mason's my second serious relationship... The first one lasted well over two years... started when I was still in high school, actually... He was great. At first, I mean, because after a while he got... abusive. And after I got a restraining order against him I didn't really trust anyone enough until Mason came along. Two years ago. I guess I can't be lucky for more than two years, really." He grimaced at his words. They took such a dark turn, and so quickly! He was probably scaring Akai away a little at a time with every awkward word he said. "... Sorry... I guess I talk too much sometimes..." He focused on the tray, picking at the contents.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Akai frowned, feeling sad that such a lovely guy had had such bad luck. "Yours last longer than mine... I guess you can say I sort of... Go through a lot of men..." He had had at least ten relationships in the past two years, none lasting more than a few months. "Don't get me wrong!" he added, realising it sounded like he used people rather than fell in love with them. "I just... Haven't found that someone special..." He wanted to add that he was a bit of a hopeless romantic, but he decided that Connor probably could guess that.

He sighed and finished eating his meal. "The people in my town all turned into racists the moment China started buying out most of Europe..." He stuck his tongue out and screwed up his nose. "Nothing attractive about racists."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Connor caught himself smiling a little. At least Akai could deduce what he wanted in someone and end it before it became too serious in one way or another. He kept believing that there was something he was missing, something underneath the harsh words or cold shoulders or almost eerie silence that could span hours between himself and his only two notable lovers.

He shook his head at the words, biting into the meat on his plate and finding it somewhat rubbery, but edible nonetheless. "I don't see how they could mistake a Japanese name for Chinese. And beyond that, an American-based last name should set them at ease, not to mention the fact that you're here, working with them instead of against them... I guess racism makes people stupid... I'm not... racist. I'm cautious of everyone, no matter their origin. My family doesn't like what China is doing, what they've been doing for the past... hundred ten years. It's terrible, but I don't hate them as a whole. Surely there are people that don't want it to happen on their side as well as ours. They're just too few to be heard. But... You know, if you're having any problems with the others... the men or women that might think wrong of you... you can talk to me. Any time. Just find my bunk, I'm with the rest of the medics... I wouldn't mind..." ... Wouldn't mind staying up with you... It sounded too intimate to say aloud. Maybe the way he said it would breed a sense of familiarity he didn't want until he was finished entirely with Mason.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Akai shook his head slightly, leaning back in his chair and looking about the large tent with ease. "I'm used to it by now. Even before the whole thing with China... Like at school. Kids can be cruel, you know? And when I became open about my homosexuality... Funny that even though it is accepted in most states to marry another man, and that the new pope has finally stopped condemning homosexuality, people are still bigots." He grinned and looked over to Connor. "Well, Americans seem to be, anyway."

He readjusted himself so he was leaning on the table, watching Connor finish his food. "Or was that an excuse? Maybe you just want me to come to your tent in the middle of the night and show you what a real lover is like?" He whispered this before winking and chuckling.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Connor nodded understandingly. Kids could be cruel. From grades six until graduation his peers poked and teased and batted around because he wasn't as interested in things that most of them were. Comic books, sports, stupid action movies. He actually liked school, and that was yet another manner of isolation he went through among his peers, especially as he took cooking classes and art rather than woodworking or a shop class. He felt others had been completely shocked when they discovered his love for---and ability with---guns. But he had to learn. His family owned most of the factories that produced firearms in the States along with their shops and shooting ranges. If he didn't at least appreciate the weapons, he would have been ever more strange, and with no refuge at all.

He tilted his head a bit, wrinkling his nose. "Maybe it was. And maybe telling you to come to my medical tent to get your bandage changed after dinner tonight is also an excuse to be alone with you, eh?" Smiling, Connor twitched as his phone vibrated and he pulled it out. "But I have a case of heat exhaustion to deal with for now, so you can let that stew until this evening, can't you?" He stood, swinging his legs over the bench and picking up his empty tray. Making it a point to pass close by Akai, Connor paused and bent down to speak quietly: "Love your sniping ability. My father and mother would have loved to meet you before all this..." He hurried away, depositing his tray among the dirty ones and running out of the hall to answer the page.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM

Akai had never blushed because of something another man had said to him before. Usually he was the one making the advances. He couldn't stop grinning as he left the mess hall and walked about, waiting for training to begin. He found a sandy hill and climbed it, getting to the top after slipping in the sand. He panted and leant back on a tree, looking at the scenery. His mouth was open as he drunk in the beautiful desert, and the ocean in the far distance. He hadn't realised they were so close. He made a note to bring Connor up there one night.

-

He was thankful once the dinner bells rung, cancelling their rigorous training for the night. He trudged to the showers first, wanting to rid himself of the sweat that clung to his body. He was used to keeping himself clean, so he was thankful for the showers they were allowed to have. Water wasn't very easy to keep in the desert, so it was rationed strictly. Luckily it had rained just before they had arrived, so the rations weren't so strict and he could have two showers a day. He wasn't looking forward to the time when they were only allowed to shower once every three days.

After he felt clean, he stepped out of the shower and put his clothes on. Loose pants and a singlet, as well as the standard heavy boots that protected their feet from any nasty venomous critters. He went back to his bunk and fished in his bag for his deodorant, spraying himself and thinking about Connor.

He was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't hear anyone come in. So when he heard a snarl come from behind him, he started and dropped his spray can. He whipped around, smiling weakly at the man that slept in the bunk next to him. His name was Weasel, or that's what his friend's called him. He used to have an afro of ginger hair, and he looked weird with a shaved head.

"Oh, you gave me a fright," Akai laughed nervously, bending down to pick up his deodorant. "Didn't hear you come in..." Before he could defend himself, he was rushed by the man. He fell over onto his bunk and Weasel held him down, hands gripped around his throat. "What... What the fuck...?" Akai choked.

"Shit like you needs to die. It's your fault this is happening you chink," Weasel grunted, applying pressure on Akai's throat. "Why they let you taint our country by letting you fight is beyond me."

Akai continued to choke, trying to wrench the hands from around his throat. He was slowly suffocating. No, he couldn't die like this. "I'm... Not..." he tried to speak, wriggling around until his legs were free enough. He kicked with all his might, connecting with Weasel's privates. The man crumpled, loosening his grip and crying out in pain.

"Oh, you are so fucking dead," he cried, curling up in agony. Akai glowered and kicked him in his side, before leaving the tent. He couldn't believe he had almost been murdered. He rubbed his throat and breathed deeply, heading towards the mess hall with the intention to tell an officer about what had just happened.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM

It had been a young woman that had fallen to the heat, having taken an extra lap around the compound before coming in. She took up the cot in the back of the medical tent, wearing just her underthings and continually switching out cool rags for cold ones as they warmed up. He kept a fan on her, and cool---but not cold---water was fed to her a bit at a time to slowly replenish what was lost. The slow, steady pace was often the best, and cooling the body gradually worked wonders beyond any serious medical treatment. But he kept track of her temperature and heart rate as he sat down to begin replying to the letters he received. He started with Mason's first.

He couldn't do it anymore. Couldn't wonder what the man was thinking because he simply refused to speak of anything. Couldn't guess his state of mind because he wouldn't give clues. Couldn't deduce where he was, what he was up to because he never called, making up excuses such as 'I forgot' or 'I didn't know you wanted to talk'. Shrinking back from physical contact, never sharing a single intimate moment, and acting indifferent when Connor's parents wanted to get to know him. At this point Connor felt he was wasting time, simply wasting time trying to stick with this futile attempt at love, when now he didn't even feel Mason cared, let alone loved him. He ended the letter as curtly as Mason had, with a simple, Don't contact me after this message. I would prefer to forget you sooner rather than later'. Sniffing quickly, Connor sealed it and slid it into its envelope, writing Mason's address on it and setting it aside. Before he started on one to his parents, he stood to check on the young soldier. Removing the cool packs and damp towel, he checked her heart, blood pressure, and temperature. "You seem to be in the clear." He said, offering her clothes back. "But next time you're headed for an extra... anything, really... take a bit more water and keep out of the sun."

She nodded shakily, breathing out as she dressed herself again and stood. "Thanks." She said quickly, looking up as the bell outside rang, signaling dinner's arrival. Connor nodded, taking his letter and opening the door to the tent, following the young woman out and toward the way of the hall and spying Akai enter rather quickly. He felt something was wrong, but wrote it off as his harsh, curt letter, which soon enough would be read. Nonetheless, he sped up a bit.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Akai found his commanding officer instantly and described the attack, showing him the bruises on his neck as proof. He was told that Weasel would be punished and thanked for going straight to the ones in charge to deal with him. The man winked at Akai. "I heard you are quite a shot. I don't care if you are Chinese, Japanese or dirty knees, I want you in my sniping team."

Akai grimaced at the man's comment, but thanked him all the same. He turned and saw Connor entering the tent. He brightened up, almost completely forgetting the attack and went straight to the man. "Hey, how was your patient? Nothing too serious, I hope?" He wanted to put an arm around Connor, but stopped himself. He didn't want the others to know of their possible relationship. "Want to get something to eat? It might actually look like something edible for once."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM

He slid into the tent in time to see Akai's commanding officer step away and toward the line forming near the back, and Akai smile. He returned it, stuffing the letter halfway into his pocket and closing what distance was left between them in a few strides. "Nothing too serious... simple stuff... are you okay...?" He narrowed his eyes, lifting Akai's head. "Your voice is strained and... what happened to you?" The sight was something he had seen before, two telltale thumb prints against the skin. Bruises. He had seen it only on one woman, a rather young patient in for a checkup. She had finally admitted to being choked earlier that day by her husband. It had created problems later because of an unseen damage to her throat.

"Did... someone do this...?" He backed away quickly, glancing around. Perhaps he had reacted too strongly. Perhaps Akai didn't like to be fretted over the way his mother probably did with him. But he had to care---it was in his nature.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM

"Oh... Don't worry about it..." he muttered, not wanting the other man to worry too much. "Just got in a fight. You know how us... Jugheads are..." He led Connor to stand in the line near where they served the food. He was pleased to see Sloppy Joes were on the menu tonight. He grabbed his tray and waited until he could be served. "I think he was on drugs or something... Just attacked me out of nowhere."

He got his helping and waited for Connor to get his, before finding them a semi-private table near the back of the tent. Even after his shower he felt hot, so he took his singlet off before sitting down. His usually flat abdomen was already starting to show a six pack in the making. He hoped Connor would be impressed further by his body, even though the man had seen him naked already. "And my commanding officer said I'm going to be in the sniping regiment. There's only 5 of us, and apparently I am the best shot. I mean, hitting targets is one thing... I don't know what will happen when I have to shoot real people..."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 PM

Connor wrinkled his nose slightly, but let it go. He was just glad that Akai had gone to someone about it rather than keeping it to himself. Obvious bruises were hard to keep away from someone with a perceptive eye, however. He picked up a tray from the stack after Akai, stepping forward in a gradual advancement. "I couldn't imagine where he'd get drugs... Nothing in the medical tents would make him violent that way, if he could get into the lockers at all..." There would have been a compound-wide warning if any of the lockers had been damaged in any way, though.

He followed Akai along to one of the further tables and quickly pulled his letter out of his pocket before sitting. He didn't want it crumpled by sitting while it was still in his pocket, so he slid it under his tray before settling on the other side of the table and almost catching himself staring at Akai for a bit too long. However much training they had gone through before arriving on the compound, it had to have accelerated their body's endurance, the build of muscle was just obvious. He blinked a bit at the mention of shooting actual, living people.

"I'd rather not even think of that as a possibility." Connor said quietly, turning his glass of water a little as if inspecting it for pieces of dirt. "It just... doesn't have to happen. But everyone's too stubborn to back down. The only good thing that's come of this is... a couple good friends." He smiled at Akai.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 PM

"I really didn't want to come, you know?" Akai said, picking up his Sloppy Joe and trying to keep it from running down his fingers. "I was drafted. But then I thought, well... If I can show that I care about America, they might stop threatening my family." He also didn't want to force his elderly father to do this. There was no way he would survive the heat let alone the intense training.

"The young people fight for the mistakes of their parent's generation... It seems to be the way for wars..." He bit into his Sloppy Joe, grimacing at how greasy it tasted. "I miss my mother's cooking..." he sighed, putting it back down on his tray. He found a serviette and wiped the sauce from his hands. Just as he mentioned his mother, an official looking man entered the tent and looked around, seeing Akai and walking straight up to him.

"Sorry to bother you, Davies. Here's the rest of your letter. I don't know why they thought it was Chinese. It's obviously Japanese. I guess no one here has ever read manga..." He winked, showing amazing white teeth. "Your mother loves you. You should write to her so she doesn't worry," the man added in Japanese, bowing his head slightly and then leaving.

"I wonder who that was..." Akai commented, watching him leave. If he had been a few years younger, he would have been attractive. Tall and dark, with blonde hair and brown eyes hiding behind glasses. He shook himself and glanced at the package that had been obviously re wrapped in brown paper. He grinned at Connor and unwrapped it, finding a small box filled with home made biscuits and a very heart felt letter written in Japanese. "Oh, she's really worried about me... No wonder, she lost her father - my grandfather - and brother to the war in Japan." He made a mental note to write her a letter by tomorrow, when the mail deliverers picked up their replies to send back to their families in America.

Last edited by NekoLen; 01-16-2014 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: America! F**K YEAH!

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 PM

It seemed as if they had all been drafted. It was probably because no one wanted to get involved in the possible war directly, and volunteering was a thing of the past. Connor had been drafted as well, as had all the medical staff. Now he, and all the others, had to worry every day about the moment tensions snapped and gunfire became a daily thing. They would be mixed into the desert and jungles of the continent, hiding and ambushing, trying to memorize the land they had probably never been to before, especially under these circumstances. Connor lifted the top bread of the gradually dampening sandwich and nibbled at the bread, thinking about home. Akai was right about the cooking---he would rather have had his mother's. Or perhaps cook by himself.

He lifted his head to the man that had approached, then ducked his head again. It wasn't his conversation, though he half-wanted to listen in against his better judgment. He watched the man leave, go toward the rest of the tent's population and join some others nearby, then looked up at Akai.

"That sounds... dreadful." Connor said at last. "Losing family in that fight... had to be hard. None of my family are involved directly in law enforcement or the military, so... when my name was called that day it was a pretty rough shock. Everyone kept worrying all week before I was supposed to be shipped out, like I'm gonna be in the thick of the danger..." He chuckled a little, picking at the envelope under his tray. Tonight he had to write a response to his parents so he didn't miss the pickup.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Akai simply nodded, giving up on his disgusting greasy sandwich and digging into the tin of biscuits. "Do you want some? There's chocolate chip... Oatmeal... And my favourite, almond." He pointed out each flavour and dug out the cream-coloured biscuit with almonds baked into it. He bit into it and sighed, chewing zealously. "So good..."

He had always lived with his parents, even though he was 26 years old. He just had no reason to move out. His mother told him he could stay for as long as he wanted and his father was amazingly tolerant of the different men Akai brought home. He had been in and out of jobs, previously working as a landscaper with his father. A lot of people found it strange how he still lived with his mother and father, but he wouldn't have it any other way. And reading this letter from his mother made his heart ache. "I miss my parents so much..."