Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Welcome!
Hi everyone! I'm Kendra and as of the other day I'm celebrating my third year here on Mene! Exciting, right? The V-day event is what hooked me in back then, and to be honest it's always one of my favorites... despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of the actual holiday.

You don't like Valentine's day? Why not?
Believe me. I'm not just some bitter hag that's against the holiday because I have only actually had a significant other once on said day... or that that one time was back in middle school (which, for the record, was thirteen years ago). I don't mind being single. I like being single.

Then why dislike Valentine's Day? Well, it's simple. With my hippie-logic I believe that people should love everyone everyday and show it when they're able. There shouldn't be so much pressure put on one little Hallmark holiday. Not to mention that due to the commercialization of such a holiday the gestures are rarely seen as romantic due to a sense of obligation.

Be honest, wouldn't you find it more romantic to be surprised some random day in April with whatever your SO was going to do for you on Valentine's? Wouldn't you rather ask why they did such a thing and have them respond with something sweet like "it's Tuesday"?

I feel like the commercialization has stripped Valentine's Day of what it should actually stand for.

So... yeah...
And now that that little rant is done feel free to come and hang out and chat with me through the rest of the event! About anything. The holiday, movies, music, life, literature, art. Anything.

If I feel frisky and remember I might give away EIs from my first V-Day event on here. But that's only if I remember, so no promises. :heart:

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Hello. I hear you there. I feel the same way about christmas. A little commercialization is ok but not to the extent that it is now, esp. concerning presents.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Exactly. The things holidays capitalize on are things that should be present year round. Love in the case of Valentine's Day and good will when it comes to Christmas. It's a shame that people are focusing so much on gifts and elaborate acts rather than what the holidays are actually supposed to be.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM

For most holidays now it is all about the money. No spirit or passion.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Not just most holidays, most people. Which... is kind of depressing really.