Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM

OK to start out I just want to give a little background on myself (without going into too much detail). I've been doing customer support pretty much since I could legally work. I just recently got a job working specifically in a specialty vitamin/health supplements store, which required me to have an on site training. I was given a mini shopping bag to the brim with samples, which I am super excited to try and thought maybe we could make a specialty thread for this sort of stuff...I could share what goodies I have, what's in them and how they work, how much they cost, and just my overall experience with them. I do want to throw out a disclaimer that I am not professionally licensed in the health industry, and therefore if you are wanting to try something please speak with your doctor if you have any questions/concerns about if it is OK for you to personally take, as they could interact with any current drugs you're on, etc etc.

OK now that is out of the way -- Onto the goodies.

This is what I have to initially start with. I'm hoping that as time passes and I use up what I have...that I can get some more samples. I am a sample addict. I love to try anything...especially if it's free.

The very first thing that drew my eye was the sample packets of "Colon Cleanse - Strawberry" by Health Foods Inc.

Link to the manufacture's product page -Colon Cleanse Strawberry Stevia

Link to a PDF of the label -http://www.healthplusinc.com/media/P...rry_Stevia.pdf

The very first thing I noticed is there's not really much in this particular product. Psyllium Husks is the main ingredient (which is the ingredient that is suppose to 'cleanse' you), with a couple of other items I'm assuming to help with the taste.

Link to WebMD on Psyllium -- Psyllium (BLOND PSYLLIUM): Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Basically when you dilute the powder in water, the husks expand and make a very thick/gel like consistency. When it passes through your intestines it helps soften your stools and also relieving constipation. There's some debate that it may help relieve people who suffer from symptoms from IBS, which it was why it caught my attention. I have never been diagnosed with it, but I do have constant tummy trouble and thought that it may help my most recent bout with it.

I have taken a more mainstream/generic version while in England that contained Psyllium husks as part of the main ingredient, and I remember it being much more grainy in texture and not very pleasant tasting. I cannot remember the name of said brand, but it appeared to be similar in the consistency when added to water. I used that as a comparison with this current sample. This actually was a nice taste. It wasn't an over powered taste of Strawberry, just a light hint. When drinking it, the husks were very soft and there wasn't any grittiness at all that I remember from the other brand. I thought I may need to hold my nose while trying this sample out, just because I expected it just to taste off.

I have a second packet that I am going to use up. The suggested serving size was 1 heaping teaspoon 3 times daily. I believe each foil packet holds a heaping teaspoon. I will follow up with the other packet later this evening. With most health supplements, though, you would ideally want to be taking this over a prolonged period of time...Not just a day. That being said my initial thoughts are that the product is not very expensive and didn't have any nasty textures/aftertastes that I would be willing to pick up a canister of this to try long term. I've seen it on sale for about $8.39-8.99, typically it's $13.99 directly through the distributor. The label suggests that you should get 38 serving sizes (one heaping teaspoon) and if taken as directed it would last approximately 12 days. It is worth it to mention that a daily serving of this product would be roughly $1.66 per day, but if you bought the 'original' formula in the 48 oz ($37.99) you would get roughly 64 daily servings and pay roughly $.59 a day. I may price shop and see if I can find a brand that is even more cost effective, to see if I'm getting good value for money. A lot of times getting a store brand label can have pretty much identical ingredients but be cheaper all around.

Last edited by Izumi; 11-22-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Alrighty, I have a new one for you guys who are watching this thread. I've come down with a cold and have been feeling under the weather. I had these two boxes of Oscillococcinum in children's strength that I have been extremely curious about that says that it will help relieve flu like symptoms. I know that first thing you're going to think is that I'm obviously not a child so therefore this would not be strong enough dose...Yes, this could definitely be the case. That being said when doing some investigative work on what exactly is in the 'active ingredient', it appeared that it was at a typical dose for an adult. Hmm.

This is the packaging it came in:

And when you opened it up there were three tiny vials in a blister pack:

Each vial was about roughly the size of a sample perfume bottle...slightly thicker:

And when you opened it up, it had very peculiar little 'sprinkle' like balls in it:

The directions were to take the entire contents of one tube (which held a fair sized amount) in the mouth every 6 hours, up to 3 times daily.

When I take a look at the manufacturer's website (Oscillococcinum® - BOIRON USA - Homeopathic Medicines), they don't even have a Children's version still listed on the website. They have the 'normal' version which says that anyone over the age of 2 would take a similar dosage and that the active ingredient, Anas barbariae hepatis et cordis extractum 200CK HPUS, is listed in the same exact quantity as the children's dosage. Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that this is just Children's strength in labeling only.

What I found very peculiar about this particular type of product is there really isn't a whole lot of information my company's website provides...nor the manufacturers. It felt shrouded in mystery. Even Web MD (OSCILLOCOCCINUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD) was very limited in the information it provided. I did a quick scan and found this very interesting website named "HomeoWatch" which had a very interesting and informative piece on exactly what it was, when it was discovered and just how questionable it is. (The True Story of Oscillococcinum)

I think the most intriguing/disturbing part was this tidbit:
Quote:
Since 1925, Oscillococcinum has been prepared as follows. Into a one litre bottle, a mixture of pancreatic juice and glucose is poured. Next a Canard de Barbarie is decapitated and 35 grams of its liver and 15 grams of its heart are put into the bottle. Why liver? Doctor Roy writes: "The Ancients considered the liver as the seat of suffering, even more important than the heart, which is a very profound insight, because it is on the level of the liver that the pathological modifications of the blood happen, and also there the quality of the energy of our heart muscle changes in a durable manner." Maybe the French tendency to call any form of not well-being a "crise de foie" ("bilious attack") had also something to do with it. After 40 days in the sterile bottle, liver and heart autolyse (disintegrate) into a kind of goo, which is then "potentized" with the Korsakov method.
Honestly, I started taking the product before doing any real research into the ingredients and how it worked. Homeopathic products are typically known to not contain ingredients that will interact with other medications (however please do your homework first as this seems to be the general rule of thumb, and doesn't meant as fact...) and therefore I wasn't too concerned. Did I taste anything organ like in the medicine...No. It just tasted vaguely sweet due to the 1g of sugar in it.

Did I feel any relief because I took it? I honestly can't say. I'm still feeling run down to a degree from my cold, and I have been still keeping up on my daily supplement as well as taking an additional Vitamin C tablet to help support my immune system. I've also been drinking a lot of herbal teas as well as they are known to help support your body and if nothing else they are comforting when you have a cold.

I think I'm on the fence on this...And I'm very intrigued about further homeopathic remedies. They seem to be based largely on an out of date line of thinking. Treating like with like is what seems to be the general idea. If anyone has experience in Homeopathy please speak up! I would love to hear your thoughts/wisdom on this.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM

What the heck.. I had to read that quote twice. Poor Canard!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Yeah...it's pretty gruesome. :O I was shocked about what is the active ingredient was. I guess you learn something every day, though.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 05:48 PM

I like this thread. I wish I could be able to add anything, but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to medicine and supplements.
I read that quote, and almost gagged. Omg. That's old medicine for you.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 PM

Well, Pistachio, if you do try something new definitely feel free to share it with us. :3 Also, you've got to learn somewhere...I'm fairly new at this myself and I'm trying to take some interest in it since my job is tied in with selling vitamins. I also can definitely tell a difference when I do take them as well. I honestly feel better all around. I know my diet is less than stellar and taking vitamins/supplements helps me fill the gaps I have to help support a healthy body.

I'm wondering what I should try out of my bag next...anyone have suggestions? If not, I may go for something fairly easy. Just got back from Thanksgiving vacation and I'm just trying to relax and enjoy my down day.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM

I am a big essential oils fan so I tend to use those as my supplements. Thieves is probably my favorite because it works. Or at least I think it works. I also love the smell!

Quote:
Thieves® was created based on research about four thieves in France who protected themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. This proprietary blend was university tested and found to be highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.*

Thieves® oil blend is an integral ingredient in Thieves® Household Cleaner, Thieves® Spray, Thieves® Wipes, Thieves® Lozenges, Thieves® Dentarome Plus™ and Thieves® Dentarome Ultra™ toothpastes, and Thieves® Fresh Essence Plus™ Mouthwash.
I also take all natural supplements to help my immune system and balance my body - one and two.

I got into all of this because of my kinesiologist-chiropractor. He was a hardcore believer in the power of these oils and even cured people from certain things. My dad was deathly allergic to poison ivy. After a few "voodoo" like things from the doc, he can now touch it without needing urgent medical attention.

It's crazy sounding and definitely comes across as fake or phony, but it's far from it. No, it can't cure cancer, but it does hold powers and it is 100-% natural, which I like. I also find that I get over colds faster, especially when taking Inner Defense:

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 01-01-2014, 03:16 AM

Xavirne, where do you purchase your stuff? I ask because I love young living oils as well and would like to purchase. My mom was a distributor for awhile, but I don't think she's 'active'. She got me to sign up a couple years ago and get the starter kit, which included $25 off a diffuser. I must of spent close to $200 when all said and done, but I seriously use that diffuser at least once a day when I'm working in the colder months. I use a LOT of peppermint oil as well. I have a few other oils that came in a raindrop technique kit my mom got me for a birthday present last year. I should read up on other uses for some of the other oils.

The starter kit did come with a small bottle of Thieves. I know they make actual products, everything from toothpaste (which my dad loves) to household cleaners. I should do a little bit of followup to see how I could use it on everyday tasks.

I have a lot of citrusy smells. The orange, lemon and the citrus blend. I should read up on those as I don't necessarily do much diffusing of those. I think they're more for maybe dietary uses and maybe cleaning.

Speaking of which...I really should dive right in and try some more stuff from my bag. I just totally got swept away with holiday stuff and totally put it on the back burner.