Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm curious, how long do your RPs last? What was the time frame?

Did they have a distinct ending? Or did they just sort of die off?

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Most of mine have, even if they had a distant end, slowly died out. That is my experience.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM

-Pats Silver Storm- I haven't actually done many RPs, but they didn't get that far before we either put them on hold or quit. V_V

What was the longest one has ever lasted for you Silver Storm?

happydeath
(>O3O)>
Send a message via AIM to happydeath Send a message via MSN to happydeath Send a message via Yahoo to happydeath

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 PM

;^; Mine tend to die really quickly too. I can't remember the last time I even had my roleplays actually go up to at the very least of 10 pages. Q^Q

Probably the longest mine has ever gone would be...uhh..i think 100 something pages; and that was during the earlier years of menewsha. It was during the Christmas event too. xD

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM

I don't think I've ever had a roleplay end as I intend. Or rather, I don't think I've had any end. Most of mine just die due to inactivity or lack of interest. The occasional hiatus also destroys things. Oops! Despite not ever reaching an ending, I've had and been in a lot of roleplays that lasted for a great deal of time. My stories Don't Let Your Hope Fade (300+ posts) and Predatory Instincts (100+ posts) are the two that really come to mind. I would say both stories had progressed 1/3 of the way, but eventually faded due to a decline in posting. Along the lines of onexone stories, most of my roleplays with Duke are still trudging along. Perhaps one of those will finally end (but I don't think we would like that).

I find that most of my stories get stuck in the "intro" phase. Even with 100+ posts, those stories haven't advanced past the introductory stage. It's interesting looking at how that happens. Hmmmm....

Excellent question, Clarius! You've certainly got me thinking about how to get my stories to move onto the next stage.

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Even though I wanted to write a stories when I was younger, I always had problems with starting stories and then losing the notebook they were in. Or I'd lose interest part way through the story (typically a couple chapters)

But while I was reading some articles about writing (by one of my favorite authors), she explained that you have to have a skeleton for the story first. A specific climax in mind. Things can change, but you have to have a specific goal in mind.

I started an RP with my BF, one we thought that would be interesting, but we both lost interest because we didn't know where else to go with the story. So we killed off our characters. Start to finish it was less than a month and like 35 posts. At least we actually had a dedicated end to the RP.

I think mine didn't work because we didn't have a skeleton for the story. We had characters and setting, but no theme or goal for the story.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Valid point on the theme or goal! I try to keep that in mind whenever I write but sometimes it's just too vague so it ends up falling apart, or at least that's what happens to me. Perhaps I should write my ideas down on paper and update them as the story progresses? The things I should do (and probably won't do).

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Mine never end! :D Because it's too good to end... so instead it just slowly dies after having gone on for a awhile or a long time. Rarely does it die in it's first baby steps.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Mine usually just die out, but I actually like for my rps to have a distinct ending. It would make me unnaturally happen to have a full story arc and an ending because I almost never get it. It seems to me my rps normally die before their time. Average life span? About a month it seems...a year would be long, though lately I have good partners that aren't leaving me so quickly.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 AM

Usually most rps die out as people are no longer able to post, and others loose interest or things get stuck, and no one wants to replace them and so on, and also if there are not many people online there is a smaller pool of people to choose from. But that's the only way they will end unless who creates the rp has a clear end in mind, and or rules to get to that end.
When I get my rps ready to go I'll be bribing people to achieve the goals lol!

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherOfDarkness View Post
Usually most rps die out as people are no longer able to post, and others loose interest or things get stuck, and no one wants to replace them and so on, and also if there are not many people online there is a smaller pool of people to choose from. But that's the only way they will end unless who creates the rp has a clear end in mind, and or rules to get to that end.
When I get my rps ready to go I'll be bribing people to achieve the goals lol!
That's a good idea! I know I'm trying out short term rps. Like episodes within a series? So my current one will last about 3.5 months. If it goes well enough, I have a fantasy idea that will be similar time frame.

I'm hoping the idea of a short time frame will keep the rp fresh and constantly moving.

woohyun
우현

Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 AM

Mine always seem to just die out. Be it the community hosting it dies out, my friendship with an rp partner ends, or just for whatever reason it dies. I've never gotten close to any sort of specific ending with an rp because they never managed to get very far. Sad, really.

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via Yahoo to Bellinda

Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 AM

I want to have a distant end but they never last long...they mostly stop at the first or second page. It is either that my life comes in the way or the other just doesn't like the way I rp. I have gotten better with my rps, I just wish people don't disappear on me cause that has happen a lot lately. I want to have a rp parter that I can get along with and have a long and fun roleplay.

Sublime Delirium
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 PM

In my RPing experience I have had a total of 5 RPs that have lasted longer than a year. I have only ever had success with private 1x1's so I speak specifically of those:
Three of them were extremely slow-paced (sometimes months would pass in between replies) and ended up fizzling out, unfinished.
Two of them were with the same partner. One of which lasted for around two years, spanned several thousands of pages worth of archive content, (it was a massive, ridiculous beastie) and is finished. There was a start, beginning, and an end, conflicts and resolutions, character and plot growth. The second has lasted a little over a year (I believe?) and we are about to wrap that one up as well (it has also reached several thousand pages long.) We have already begun discussing and planning for our 3rd RP together. :D
It's all about finding a good partner who you get along with stylistically and personally, I think. Also important that you're both consistent and dedicated. And having a ballin' plot with engaging characters that you feel highly invested in is also a good place to start.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM

I think mine usually die because I wander off and away. Around event time I get so busy I don't really do much other than event. And with my new job... geeze. I'm super sorry to anyone who was Rping with me. Maybe we can get back together and start fresh, give it another shot? Can you still love me?

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM

Recently my new goal for my threads is a word count: 50k-69k, the average length of a young adult novel, those are the ones I typically read anyway xD.

So now, depending on home much my RP partner and I write, I aim for 10+ pages. That's my new goal, getting up to 10 pages! \o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohyun View Post
Mine always seem to just die out. Be it the community hosting it dies out, my friendship with an rp partner ends, or just for whatever reason it dies. I've never gotten close to any sort of specific ending with an rp because they never managed to get very far. Sad, really.
I know what you mean. Recently, whenever life gets in the way, I try to tell my partners that I won't be replying, but I will eventually. It used to be whenever one of us wouldn't reply for a week or two, it was pretty much curtains for the RP soon after that. Though recently I've had some very dedicated partners, who keep RPing no matter how long the last reply was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime Delirium View Post
It's all about finding a good partner who you get along with stylistically and personally, I think. Also important that you're both consistent and dedicated. And having a ballin' plot with engaging characters that you feel highly invested in is also a good place to start.
I completely agree, after RPing with my boyfriend, whenever we get to a point in the RP where the post was really lacking some sort of drive to it, I just talk to him about it. He even talks to me when something in my post doesn't make sense. Now that we have an understanding that it's ok to talk to each other about the RP posts as well as the story line, I feel like our RP will go longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
I think mine usually die because I wander off and away. Around event time I get so busy I don't really do much other than event. And with my new job... geeze. I'm super sorry to anyone who was Rping with me. Maybe we can get back together and start fresh, give it another shot? Can you still love me?
I hope they will Longie! Recently, I've been trying to keep an open mind about how long it's been since me or my RP partner replied to an RP. I'm trying to just accept the length and keep going with the story, as long as when they reply we get back into the once every couple days routine again xD

KisaraKitsune
Team ⑨

Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 AM

I had a RP back when I was on Neopets that lasted 3 years. Longest RP I ever had done. I always love to start new RPs as wel when new ideas arise. That's actually why I like 1x1 Forum RPing because if me and someone else have multiple ideas, we can just do them all.