For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 AM

They'd be hover spiders! XD

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM

AURGHHH!!! They'd be able to float over barries that you put up then. I'm traumatised! :gonk:

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 10-31-2010, 03:04 AM

And now the big Halloween update is out and you can go to the Nether World and encounter fire breathing ghasts! I haven't yet, because I'm babysitting, but I did make a portal into the other world. Interesting so far.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM

I don't have time to look at it :( Is this just going to be for a short amount of time?

I remember seeing someone say that all torches will need replacing with lanterns now.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM

While it's a Halloween update, it's full of permanent changes. Fishing has been added. You can make portals to the Nether World that is full of scary sounds and gory pig men and fireball shooting ghasts and everything is on fire! There are new biomes, so when you walk around your world, there are different climates, like desserts and temperate forests and snowy bits. There's really pretty sunrises and sunsets. Most annoyingly, if you die, your stuff is gone forever!!! That was a glitch. They've fixed it now, but still, I lost some cool stuff because of it ;_;

The lanterns in place of torches didn't happen this update, so maybe next time.

Last edited by For-Chan Cookie; 11-01-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Aeryth
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

I just got the game like... a couple days ago! Everyone at my campus has been playing it, we even hosted a couple Minecraft parties where a bunch of people got together and played the game. Our Sci-Fi/Fantasy club has their own server so that's where we all play, and it's so addicting and entertaining! :B I haven't gotten the chance to check out the Halloween updates though~

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 PM

I do live streams on Qubetubers and we have an SMP server for the streamers. I have to say, I do not like SMP all that much. I built a little secret house behind a water fall and then someone built a water highway by it. Then some of the guys came and filled it with signs and various other love notes. Then someone accidentally burned down the outside facade. Since I'm a girl, I get a lot of love notes from the guys and now there's a "heart" made out of lava on my front lawn, but it really just looks like the eye of Sauron. I wanted some clay to build a new house, but the guys go out and mine all the resources in an area, so it makes the whole ordeal frustrating. I'd rather just play on my own little world and not have to worry about that stuff.

Muraki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 AM

This game is so addicting. My game messed up and I've been afraid to see if it works again or not...cause it made me mad. I had so much done. I had 2 homes and was just about to start a farm. I also had a mine with eight different levels and had just found a treasure room and killed the zombies and creepers infesting it.

I had also just made my first diamond pick, and suit of steel armor. So yeah, I had a lot done. Then one day I went to load it and it got stuck on the updating screen. For two days I tried to fix it...and then it made me mad, so I have yet to load it since...I really don't like to lose progress that I make in games. So I really really hope I can fix it...or it decides to fix itself. That would just be awesome.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM

The progress of your games is stored on your own computer so you can go into the minecraft folders and back up your worlds periodically. My saves are all stored here: C:\Documents and Settings\For-Chan\Application Data\.minecraft\saves

Just go in, copy the entire save folder and store it some place else on your computer, then you have a back up.

Also, if this happened on the 30/31 of October, it might be because a big update came out.

Nobody There At All
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 AM

The game is simplistic, yet so vast.
It's a very fun game where your imagination and your decision making can run wild.
You are given free choice to do what you will whether it's building a house, a vast tunnel system, exploring, etc.
The world there is yours to do as you please and there are some many things you may not expect.
I didn't even know there was such a thing as snow terrain in minecraft simply because I was unlucky enough to have not been able to get a new game where it spawned me there.

Minecraft is definitely worth the short amount of money you have to pay, especially if you get free updates.

NekoSari
Airheaded Spaz Cat

Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 AM

I saw a video where someone (or possibly a lot of someones) built the entire Bioshock game in Minecraft. It was absolutely unbelievable. I've never played Bioshock, but my hubby and one of his friends said that they got every little detail in the exact place it needs to be. It looked pretty cool, and they went through the Minecraft world while playing the Bioshock soundtrack. It was creepy as hell, and all the underwater places were eerie, but overall it was great. I'm sure it took a lot of manpower and hours to get it done so absolutely perfect. On a side note, I might need to start playing this myself. Eventually ^_^

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM

I just saw that video...it was nicely done, of course it is as close to how the game layout it, using Minecraft stuff. It was pretty sweet honestly. I would NEVER have the patience to do such a thing.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Cookie, care to explain to a dunce how textures are added? I'm entirely clueless about this kind of thing D:

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 AM

This is going to sound a bit complicated, but once you do it, it becomes really simple. These instructions assume that you've found and downloaded a texture pack, I'll get to making your own at the bottom.

- You need to find your minecraft folder. If you click Run and enter %appdata%/.minecraft should get you there. The full address will probably look like this: C:\Documents and Settings\For-Chan\Application Data\.minecraft
I made a short cut to it on my desktop so its easier to get there now.

- Inside, you will see three folders: bin, resources, and saves. Saves is where you would go to back up your worlds, but right now, we're interested in bin.

- Inside the bin folder, you'll find an executable jar file called Minecraft. You need to open this with either Winrar or 7zip.

Once it's open, you see a lot of folders and files.

- If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see the terrain.png file. You should make a copy by dragging it out of the folder to some place you want to save it. That way, if you don't like the texture you've installed, you can just change it back.

If all you want to do is change the textures, go to the place on your computer where you've saved the texture file you want. It must be named terrain.png. Drag the the terrain file into the minecraft jar. It'll probably ask if you're sure you want to replace it, click yes. That's it! You've changed the texture. You can just close the folder, fire up minecraft and it should be all set.

If you want to change other skins such as the cows and pigs, they are in the mob folder. Items are in the gui folder (not the item folder). You can change all of these image files as long as you have one of the proper size and format to replace it with. This is what makes Minecraft so customizable!

There has been one change to how this all might work. Recently, the biomes were added and there's a gradient in use to shade the grass and trees. If the grass textures you want to use isn't green or it has colors other than green (like mine with the hearts and flowers) you need to change these gradients. In the misc folder there's a foliagecolor.png and a grasscolor.png. They both need to be turned completely white and transparent and that will stop them from intefering with your pretty textures.

Making your own or editing your existing textures
If you copy the texture from your minecraft jar you can open it up in a graphics editor and fiddle around with it. This is what it looks like:

Default squares are 16 x 16 pixels. There's quite a bit of transparency used in these texture packs, so if you're going to make your own or edit your own, make sure you're aware of what color the transparency is. The default stuff uses pure black (#000000) for transparency. The grass and tree textures are gray because the biome gradients provide their color now.

You have to use the same layout that you see on the default terrain. If you don't place things exactly right, you could end up with a world of purple squares like I did.

Hopefully, I explained that well enough. Like I said, it sounds complicated, but once you know what you're doing its really easy and you can have fun swapping stuff out.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM

Seems like a far more complicated version of adding Sims custom content xD

I'm gonna try now, easy enough as I can leave your instructions where I can see them because I can't play Minecraft on this laptop because the graphics card is so appalling! So other one on my lap while I read xD

XzoriMoon

Old 11-24-2010, 04:07 AM

I love this game, it was fun become a builder on the servers and stuff, sometimes though I would troll around and break the buildings shhh! haha. I don't play it anymore though.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-24-2010, 05:16 AM

I just bought this game about 30 minutes ago. No idea what I'm doing, but I had fun running around and collecting flowers ~ I bludgeoned a sheep to death with a yellow daisy and got a nifty little white square block. Then I discovered that blocks could be set down to build stuff (oooh, yes, I'm slow. I didn't read a damn thing prior to playing, see.).. I spent the next while "harvesting" some terrain nearby, until it got dark and I noticed that the happy little sheep and cows had become angry green dudes intent on chasing me. I dug a little hole and began furiously stacking blocks around me. Things were quiet and I thought I was safe, so I broke a little window in one of the walls. I looked out and didn't see anything, but then a big nasty spider plopped over my "windowsill" and ate my face. Hahaha!

That was AWESOME! I'm goin' back in. :lol:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM

HAHAHA!! Yeah, I watched a tutorial on Youtube before I played for the first time, so I knew about the nasties that come out at night xD My first night on that still scared me silly though, with the creepy noises I could hear outside my walls xD

Now I stand on my roof and taunt the zombies, because they can see me but not get to me xD Those spiders annoy the hell out of me though, as they hang around outside your house then chase you in the daylight too D<

There's a Minecraft Wiki which shows you all the items you can craft from what you collect. Here it is :)
Main Page - Minepedia - The Minecraft Wiki!

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Silly BellyButton. I knew monsters ate my face, which is why I started playing in peaceful mode like a wuss >_> Granted, the computer I started playing on sucked and it's too hard for me to start fighting monsters there.

Spiders suck! With their slurping noises allllllll the time! And even if they're supposed to be docile during the day, they still jump on your face!

Anyway, there's a new way to install texture packs. You can even install multiple ones! It's really easy. When you start up now, you'll noticed that there's a "Mods and Texture Packs" button. Inside there, there's a "Open texture Pack Folder (Place Texture Pack Files in here)". What you do is, you download texture packs in zipped folders and then open the pack folder, drag it in and viola! That's it. You can drag in multiple packs and they'll appear on your list ready for you to use. Just click which one you want to use that day and you're done.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM

That's neat! Miles easier than what you explained to me, which I gave up on half way through :lol: and this is me who's used to Sims custom content faff xD

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM

It's loads easier. And I like that it allows for easy switching of textures. I started working on a new texture pack with Asian patterns and it's soooo easy to just switch back and forth. :heart:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 AM

For-Chan Cookie:
OMG, you're not kidding about it being easy! I installed a customised version of the Painterly Pack and I LOVE it! I have retarded creepers which is bloody hysterical :lol:

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 AM

I want to make myself pretty.. at least, not look like a bearded lumberjack.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM

@Jelly - It's so much easier than it was before. It's wonderful. Now if only Notch would give us some sort of texture pack mode so we could see all these things we were making without having to find them in the game. Re-doing hostile mobs is so hard. I can't tell you how many times I got blown up by creepers when I was trying to edit the skins of one!

I made my creeper into bacon because people kept telling me Notch recorded the creeper sounds himself and it was frying bacon. So here's a bacon creeper and he drops baby bacon creepers.

@Bellybutton - I made a bunch of skins of female super heroines from the 80s because there's an annoying lack of female skins out there. I am She-Ra :D You can find them here. There's always the Skindex or you can use Miners Need Cool Shoes to make your own. Unfortunately, you're stuck with the manly grunts you make when you're hurt. =/