maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 AM

A dust cloud rose in the distance. Anyone looking towards it would have been able to distinguish the dark forms apart from each other as galloping hooves drew nearer. The sound of thunder filled the canyon walls as a wild herd of horses raced by with the speed born of survival.

A lone figure perched above them - watching. Waiting for the amazing view to cease. AS the last of the wild horses disappeared from sight, she jumped lightly down from the boulder she had been on and turned happily to her father. He sat up in the saddle studying her. "Daughter, your interest in horses is going to lose you a man someday. Come on over here and get up." Though spoken in a gruff voice, there was a glint of pride in his eyes. She grinned and started walk towards him.

A shot rang out in the open air. It echoed and re-echoed in the canyon below. She stared in growing horror up at her dad. His eyes held on to hers as his face turned white. A blossoming red splotch spreading slowly across his shirt. He slowly looked down at it before falling to the ground. She ran the last few yards to his side and pulled him over. Looking into his glazed eyes, something in her broke. She screamed.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A young lady rode into town with a steady trot. She dismounted outside the mission and dropped the reins. It was a good day when the horse was trained to stay put to dropped reins. She didn't approve of the tactics used for learning that, but thankfully she didn't have to teach him. He had come to her that way. Glancing back at Shakespeare, she grinned at his glistening gray coat and proud head. He was a fine one, that was for sure.

Turning, she rushed into the mission and to one of the main rooms. A priest greeted her with a stern face, "Your late." She held her hands up in defense, but before she could say anything a joyous shout arose from the children behind him. Before either of them were prepared, they were swamped in a mass of little children all clamoring for attention.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 AM

Another lady stood starring out the front window of the sheriff's office, a badge glinting on her chest. At least no one will get away with killing off a child's family in front of her, she thought rubbing the badge absentmindedly with her thumb. She knew her parents would be proud of her, but that didn't take away the empty, ache in her chest. Suddenly the office seemed stifling to her.

Things seem to be quite, she said to her deputy Chase. I'm going to go over to the stables.

Chase nodded and she stepped outside and hurried next door to the stables. The smell of hay, manure, leather, sweat and horse met her as she stepped in. She inhaled, letting the smells sooth her soul. The nickers of the horses brought her eyes snapping open. She walked down the aisle, greeting the different horses and petting them.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 AM

The priest gratefully went to his quieter duties as Mindy led let aspiring survivalists outside. The town itself might be one big dust bowl, but that didn't mean she had to put up with it. Leading the energetic youngsters out and around towards the meadow, she began prepping them for the activity. Last weekend they had been drilled on the various plants and their characteristics. This week they were going to get some hands on experience. All necessary for next weekend when they went on a camping trip. She wanted to teach the survival skills, but kids will be kids so it all had to be cloaked in games. Reaching the wooded area past the meadow, she reached down and showed them the first of the plants.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 AM

Jessica grabbed a brush and stepped into the stall of a big, black stallion. Hey Bellisario, she crooned, rubbing up under his forelock. The stallion tossed his head and snorted, striking out at the stall door with a front hoof. Feeling frisky huh? Jessica brushed him down and grabbed a bridle. She slipped it on him and led Bellisario out of the stall just as Chase came jogging in.

Guthrie from the mercantile just came by. Said he hasn't seen Jed for two weeks now. Jedidiah P. Cornpone was a well known crotchety, cantankerous old minor. Many of the posh citizens of Thunder Springs didn't care for him, but Jessica knew that his crotchety disposition hid a gentle heart.

I'll ride out to his claim and check on him, Jessica said to Chase as she sprang up onto Bellisario's bare back. The stallion snorted and danced sideways, neck arched. A run will do Bellisario a bit of good.

Chase opened the paddock gate for her and Jessica rode out into the town. She held the stallion to a prancing walk until she reached the edge of town. Then she gave the stallion his head and galloped him toward Jed's claim.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 AM

They worked their way in deeper until they reached a small spring. By this point, she had covered all the plants that she had taught them before. She sent them off to find five different plants to use for show and tell. Then sat back watching them scatter. They knew to stay in sight of her and went in groups of two or three. She laughed at their excited chatter. It was pleasant. As pleasant as the musical sound the spring beside her was making.

Soon they began to return. When they had all gathered back together, she had them each start presentations. They remembered their facts well and she was impressed with their eagerness. Yep, a new generation that would be able to take care of itself. Much better than their parents who always were relying on others. It was their parents that bothered her. She had been raised to be able to do things on her own. They raised their kids to be hellions. Then come the weekend, they would abandon them to the mission while they went to the big city for a mini vacation. These kids needed all the help they could get in being better citizens than the generation before them.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM

Jessica pulled Bellisario to a snorting, pawing halt on the rise at the edge of Jed's claim. Jed?! She called, scanning the area before her cautiously. She didn't want to just ride right in and meet up with a bullet from Jedidiah's shot gun. Jed? Its Sheriff Danvers.

She urged the snorting, fidgeting stallion forward and rode into Jed's claim. She halted the stallion in front of the minor's shack. The door was wide open and she could see that he wasn't inside. Maybe he's down at the stream, she thought turning the stallion in that direction. As she neared the stream she was relieved to see the kneeling figure of the minor. Bellisario snorted and Jed whirled, shot gun coming up.

You wouldn't shoot me or this big goof, Jessica said dismounting and leading the horse towards the old man.

Sheriff Danvers, didn't hear ya come up? What are you doing here? He asked leaning the shot gun up against a nearby tree.

Guthrie was worried about you. Said you hadn't been by for a couple of weeks.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 AM

She told them a story or two to help pass the time. It was nearing late afternoon though so she figured staying here longer wasn't the best idea. Getting up, she started herding them back the way they had come. Soon they were leaving the forest behind and crossing the meadow. The kids started to gather flowers and make them into bouquets and wreaths. She grinned and helped the smaller ones make promise bracelets. It was charming really. Why their parents left them instead of spending time with them was beyond her. Soon they were back at the mission. She wished them well and went to check on Shakespeare.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM

Guess I jest got caught up in stuff here. I'll ride in to Thunder Springs tomorrow, Jed said with a smile. Jessica nodded an okay and vaulted back up onto the stallion's back. She turned the animal and galloped back toward town. Usually she wouldn't gallop a horse a lot, but Bellisario still had lots of energy to spare. And since she was the only one Bellisario would let on his back she couldn't exactly have Monty the stable hand exercise him.

She slowed Bellisario to a prancing walk as the reached the edge of town. She rode him down the street to Guthrie's Mercantile and dismounted, looping his reins over the hitching post. Stay there you meathead, she ordered the stallion who tossed his head as if to say "Who me?" She shook her head and entered the store, walking over to the counter.

Is he okay? The portly mercantile owner asked, his voice laced with concern and a bit of nosiness. Jed's fine, just got caught up in his work. He'll be in tomorrow. Jessica grabbed an apple out of one of the baskets and walked toward the door. Just put it on my tab, she called over her shoulder as she walked out the door.

Bellisario still stood at the hitching post but his reins trailed in the dirt. He neighed with pride when he saw her, tossing his head happily. Well I was going to give you this apple but now I don't know, crooned to the stallion with a laugh. She gathered up his reins and led the stallion back to the stables.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM

Taking Shakespeare's reins in one hand, she started walking down the street. It was getting late and would be dark before she got back out to the ranch. Since she couldn't make it in time, she might as well get some supper in town. She passed several buildings before reaching her destination. It used to be a good ole bar like you heard about in the newspapers but nowadays it was a down to earth cafe. Sure it had all the fixings for a bar, but not many around made use of the place in that fashion. Tethering her gray mount to the hitching post, she stepped up onto the board walk and headed inside the double swinging doors. "Yo something hearty to eat my friend!" she called out while heading to a table near the fire place.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM

It was getting close to sunset when she finished settling Bellisario in. She stepped out of the barn with a goodnight to Monty and decided to head down to the old bar that was now a cafe. She walked in and over to the bar and sat down. "Give me some good food. To tired to go home and cook." She looked around the place as she waited for her food. The sheriff in her eyed every person for potential trouble. She smiled and nodded to those that she recognized.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 AM

The cafe owner bussled out with a tray full of bowls of soup and mugs of apple cider. Placing them down in front of various people who wanted supper, she waited until he got to her. As he arrived, he raised an eyebrow at the leaves and twigs in her hair. She quickly explained, Took the kids the priest at the mission is babysitting out past the meadow for a little survival training. We are planning a camping trip next weekend and I wanted them to have some basics down ahead of time. He shook his head and kept on going. She grinned and took a sip of the delicious drink. It was warm and heavenly. Looking over at the fire, she watched the dancing flames play among the coal-burned wood. Contentment filled her, but she knew she needed to get going sooner rather than later. Turning back to her soup, she dug in.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

She finished her dinner and paid the cafe owner, before getting up. She nodded to people on her way out, stopping to chat with some. She saw Mindy with leaves and twigs in her hair and raised an eyebrow. "Sporting a bush look now?" She asked with a smile as she stopped at Mindy's table. "Or were you attacked by one?"

maidenroseheart

Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 AM

Mindy looked up at the sheriff and grinned. "Oh man, you have no idea ma'am. I was walking along minding my own business when this tree jumped out of no where and started trying to redo my hair style." With a wink, she motioned for Jessica to take a seat. Might as well brag to someone about her babysitting fun. It had been quite a day after all.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Jessica laughed and sat down. She could always use some stress reliever and Mindy sounded like a fun person, a sister from another mother. Besides, she really didn't have any place to go. She would just either go back to the office or sit at home. But it was safer that way. If you didn't get to attached or let people too close it didn't hurt so much when they left you.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Mindy grinned and leaned back to launch her tale. "Well as you know the Robinsons, Westons, and Burtons left for the weekend as usual. Their kids have been driving the poor priest at the mission crazy. I decided several weeks ago to give him a hand. I told them I would take them on a camping trip if they would buckle down and learn some important stuff before hand. They agreed and promised to behave for me. So far it has worked. Today we hiked out behind town towards the words. We aren't even halfway across the meadow when the girls are all begging to make jewelry out of the flowers. I averted that by promising after our lesson. Then when we got into the woods, some of the boys discovered how sticks and swords are similar. Breaking up a few daring attempts to be heroes took some work. Then we got down to business and I showed them the actual plants they have been studying. They need to know which causes harm in what ways and which can do good in what ways. They are getting the hang of it. I think they have the basics now so we can go camping next weekend. They already practice fire building, creating paths, how to find their way using basic astronomy and clues in the forest, and finally how to identify different noises and critters in the woods. The only thing left is shelter building and nothing like experience with your own creation teaches faster the values of hard work. I am hoping it rains, just in case any skimp on their shelters." She winked at that. It had been a fun, if not tiring day. She had to ride fences tomorrow. Mentally easier, but physically just as tough. Looking over at Jessica she asked, "How's your day been sheriff?"

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Jessica laughed at Mindy's tale. "Got to love kids and their energy. She took a sip of the coffee that the cafe owner had brought her. "Not much in my day. Took Bellisario out to check on Old Jedidiah. Guthrie hadn't seen him and was worried. Things have been pretty quiet lately, hope that doesn't mean trouble is coming. She stretched her tired muscles, it may not have been a busy day but she was still tired.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Mindy grinned at the part of not being busy. Things were pretty settled down at the moment. No need to want more though. She knodded on the wooden table for fun and winked at the sheriff. "Don't go bringing any trouble on us ma'am or I'll string you up in a tree once you fix it." She motioned to the cafe owner and paid him for supper. It had been pretty good. Rising, she apologized, "Sorry ma'am. I have to head on home. Got a ride ahead of me and an early start to tomorrow."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Jessica smiled. "No problem, I think I will head home myself." She handed the cafe owner some more money for the coffee and stood up. Well I will see you around. Try not to get attacked by anymore trees, she said to Mindy before walking out the door. She walked over to check and make sure everything was in order in the sheriff's office. She locked the door and went to the stables next. Bellisario neighed a greeting, bringing the other horses sleepily to the doors of their stalls. She walked down the aisle, talking to and stroking each horse.

"They have all been settled down for the night. She turned at the sound of Monty quiet voice. "Thanks, she said with a smile. "I will see you tomorrow." She left the stables and walked to her small house next door.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 AM

Mindy rode Shakespeare through the cool night air. It was a lovely night. The road was a wide gravel road that gleamed in the moonlight. The stars were a pleasure to gaze at. She smiled contentedly and relived the days events. That lead to what she needed to get done tomorrow. Checking fences was her highest priority. She reached the ranch and saw that her foreman had left a light on for her on the porch. Putting Shakespeare out into the paddock, she turned and wearily headed to the house. Taking the lantern with her that was on the porch, she went inside and eventually to bed.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Jessica undressed and climbed into bed. It seemed like her head had barely touched the pillow before she was out. A rooster crowing somewhere woke her the next morning and she padded over to the window. The town was still in its nightly quiet, an occasional person wandering by here or a dog barking there. Soon it would become the bustling day time town that she knew so well, the town that it was her job to protect. She pulled on clothes and walked down the stairs to the kitchen where she started a pot of coffee brewing.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Mindy woke up to the grandfather clock chiming down in the livingroom. Sitting up, she sighed and pulled herself out of bed. Soon she was refreshed, dressed, and heading downstairs for breakfast. Her cook who stayed in the ranch house with her was already rolling out the biscuits. With a greeting, Mindy began setting the table. Her cook was the only lady on the ranch. She helped with the house chores and playing vet. Mindy preferred the garden and saddle work. The foreman and two ranch hands could handle everything else. Including training the new horses. Their horses were the best horses in the state. Training enough for sale each spring was a real chore. It paid off though.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 AM

Jessica gulped down a cup of coffee and decided to go for an early morning ride before grabbing some breakfast at the cafe. She pulled on her jacket and headed next door to the stables. She slipped in, shushing the horses softly, trying not to wake Monty who slept in a room built of the loft. She grabbed Bellisario's bridle and slipped it on the stallion who was already dancing with anticipation. She led him out of the stall and out of the barn, vaulting up onto his bare back out in the street. She held the stallion to a dancing walk until she reached the edge of town where she easily urged the stallion into a gallop. She relished the feeling of freedom and the wind in her hair. Several miles from town, she halted Bellisario at the top of a hill just as the sun burst up over the horizon.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM

With breakfast out of the way, the day's work began in earnest. She headed out to the paddock with a saddlebag on one arm and a cup of coffee in another. Her foreman met her at the gate. "Ma'am, he's saddled and ready to go. You want me to swing that there saddle bag up for you while you finish your brew?" Handing him the leather bundle she said, "I would be much obliged. Planning to be back by noon unless something comes us." He knodded and brought Shakespeare out for her. She traded the now empty mug for the reins and mounted up.

Turning, she headed out down the road towards one of her pastures. Riding lines all day wasn't her idea of fun. However it needed doing and it would give Shakespeare a better workout than he got yesterday. They reached the first pasture and jumped the fence. Once on the inside, she set up a direction parallel with the fence and started the round. This was something she would be doing a lot. Best get used to it.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Jessica sat on Bellisario's broad back, watching the sun rise over the horizon. It was her favorite way to start the day when she could. It made her feel beautiful and alive. But soon the duties of the day intruded on her peace and she sighed. Whirling the stallion around, she headed back to town. Time for maybe some breakfast at the cafe before work, just depended on how the place looked. The town was coming alive as Jessica rode into town. She nodded her acknowledgement to people as she passed. Monty was waiting for her in front of the stables, a gentle smile on his face. "When I saw him gone I figured you had come by for your morning ride. You can always wake me if you need help saddling.

Jessica slid gracefully from the stallion's back and grabbed the reins. "Its okay. Besides you know what a handful Bellisario can be." She led the stallion into the barn and unsaddled him, giving him a good brush down. Monty went off to answer the horses demands for breakfast. Jessica finished up with the stallion and gave him a last kiss on the nose before leaving.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 AM

The morning was in full bloom now. There were birds chirping away and the sun was firmly settled in the sky. Shakespeare trotted along as she kept a close eye on the fence for any breaks. Soon they had the pasture covered and headed to the next. She picked a corner and started the round. Yep, this would take a lot of getting used to. Like maybe a few years. She down a slope towards the creek. It was easy for the fence to break there. Reaching the creek, they paused and sure enough. Part of the wiring have been pulled down somehow. Dismounting, she led Shakespeare to a stand of trees and got out some of the stuff she had brought along for this very task. Walking back to the fence, she pulled the wiring back together and was about to set up a tie between the two when she realized it was a clean break. The wires had been cut.

That sent her heart pounding. The worst part about her job was being out here alone. She quickly mended the fence and did her best to act natural-like walking back to Shakespeare. Hopping on, she nervously continued along the fence. Best when she got back to mention it to her foreman.