~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM

For those of you who have classes or just general questions about naturey things; wildlife studies, general ecology, birds, trees, fish etc. You have two super awesome rangers to help with your answers. We may not know everything but together we know a heckuvalot!

Feel free to ask us questions regarding the natural sciences. If we don't know the answer right off the bat we can probably dredge up some super dry and boring scientific texts.

Little about ~LONGCAT~
  • Lives in the USA.
  • Has a B.S. in Natural History Interpretation (that's being able to read and translate boring, dusty science tomes and make fun programs out of them!)
  • Knows a lot about birds, general ecology, and the word fecundity. (plus a bunch more!

NekoLen:

I'll format and make prettyful later. ;3

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Hehheh.

A bit about NekoLen:

- Lives in New Zealand.

- Knows a lot about Southern Hemisphere wildlife, especially birds.

- Knows some about other animals elsewhere, but not a lot about American animals.

- Has no prior education, except high school biology class. I learnt everything from books and Steve Irwin :D (RIP Steve, he was my hero growing up).

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM

I'll nab one for anything extra we can think of. Feel free to grab any more too.

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Hello~
I am a bit new around these parts, but I have been teaching astronomy labs for the past 7 years on the university level. I should be able to answer a hefty amount of questions there... and a random grab bag of other sciencey subjects from physics to biology.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Hey Ethos!! feel free to join in teaching us/others about the amazing of space!

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Sure will! I may have neglected to mention that I am a Texan with ample sassiness and a working grasp on american biology.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 AM

Dang gurl flaunt that sassyness. I'm currently in New Jersey so I think I can comeback with a decent amount of SASS.
My knowledge is more hodgepodge, little about everything and nothing about anything.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM

What a cool idea for a thread....random question, are white rabbits with red eyes albino or is that just a breed of rabbit?

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Ling:
Actually both! The white rabbits most often used in lab settings are a breed of rabbits known as the New Zealand Whites which are genetically predisposed to a much higher frequency of albinism occurring. Few to none of the New Zealand Whites bred pure will not be albinistic. The albino mutation causes a lack of pigmentation, hence the white fur, which also causes the eyes to lack pigmentation. The red that you see is actually the blood in the blood vessels inside the eye that's usually blocked from view by the pigmented segments.

As a side note, these rabbits are also the same ones sold for their meat.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Hi seems like an interesting forum! nice idea I have one question that I've been thinking for a long time... So, here it goes: can your astral body travel to the future?

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asma View Post
Hi seems like an interesting forum! nice idea I have one question that I've been thinking for a long time... So, here it goes: can your astral body travel to the future?
Asma:
Hmmm. Not quite sure how to tackle this one. It's not really a question about the natural sciences or even about the natural world. Something like this is better asked in the Spirituality and Religion section as Astrology and Auras are more a pseudoscience or false-science as there is no actual documented data or proof to back this up. Or any peer-reviewed papers in any credible journals.
So this can not be answered with science as Astral Projection is not recognized by any scientific community. Sorry. :<

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asma View Post
longcat: is right, this is a much deeper question. If I am able to touch on something that may contribute to the question... the biggest case for astral projection is deja vu, but the sensation of deja vu is the way our brain lets us know that it remembers a similar instance from the past. As in a past we have experienced ourselves. Even if you are in a totally new place doing something you have never done, there is a chance that something as small as someone saying something nearby with a specific pattern of syllables can set it off. Psychology studies have shown that the senses pick up way too much information for our brains to handle at once, so it is possible that- while you cannot place how you feel that you have experienced it before- your magnificent, wobbly, lumpy brain has got your back.

Thanks for being a little obnoxious know it all, Brain.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Oh okay... :) Thank you! c:

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 AM

For those interested i make Facebook posts for the national park i work at, many of them are directed for the turtle program, but there are the occasional posts about different aspects to the park and General recreation.