Elfie

Old 10-26-2014, 10:30 PM

Hey! So I'm currently procrastinating on this paragraph on online school vs traditional school (which is just on-campus public school). Does anyone have experiences they've had? Would you rather online or traditional? Which one would be more beneficial to a 12-17y/o student? I just want someone's opinion and not some professor on google haha. Thank you if you answer! (:

intangible

Old 11-22-2014, 11:49 AM

I think it would depend on personal circumstances. In most cases I think on-campus
school are better, because they have a social element that an online school won't have,
and because the physical presence of a teacher will, at least for me, ensure I do my work
and don't just tell myself I'll do it later.

I think online schools are brilliant, though! Because they make education available to
people not able to go to school full-time or part-time, like people with other commitments
or who can't go to a campus because of physical or mental illness.

They also give the student more room to work at their own pace, which I think might be
better for some people, if they're disciplined enough to work independently.

I'm not sure if this is helpful to you, though. What do you need the paragraph for?

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 11-24-2014, 06:14 AM

I have only ever attended a traditional school. As intangible said, there is a social component to a traditional school that you simply can't get by taking online courses. I also personally prefer to receive instruction from a real professor or teacher, to whom I can direct all of my questions, as they formulate inside my mind during the lecture.

As for the online courses, there are many reasons people would do so.

One is flexibility -- they can often take the course at any time of day. So, if they are working a full-time job during the daytime, they can then settle in on the couch at night to learn. Maybe feed their kids in between taking the class.

Another is cost -- I *think* online courses tend to be cheaper than classes at a traditional school, because they take out the professor component of teaching. They don't have to hire a competent teacher and can thus offer a lower tuition. That being said, I'm not sure if online courses offer financial aid of any kind.

Yet another advantage, perhaps, is that people with social anxiety will be able to pursue their degree without the pressures of attending a traditional college.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM

My school is a combination of both online and traditional schooling, though I can't really say it's totally online (there is a teacher present at all times and there are textbooks and things that are found in a normal classroom). I find that a lot of people find online classes much easier to handle because there is the aspect of taking the class everywhere with you, while in a normal school you only have that class once a day for five days out of the week. It is especially good for people who don't like to have a whole lot of structure in their schooling either.

I know one kid that had completed all of his high school credits online when he was a sophomore and is now going to the local university. I haven't been able to talk to him for a while though.

Anyways, I took some online classes my freshman year of high school and I really enjoyed going at my own pace, but I missed the physical presence of a teacher to explain the concepts to me, and when I do seek help from online videos, I find myself choosing the videos that have the teacher present and going through the process step-by-step. I guess the online vs. traditional schooling debate is something that depends on the person.

allycat
daddy's kitten

Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 AM

I think it really depends on their personality. I would suggest online school but I struggled in public school because of mental health problems. They both have their pros and cons. For somebody who is not as social and struggles in large crowds then I would definitely suggest online school, although it does take a lot of self discipline.

Hope that helps :)