Fable
OH LEO~

Old 12-06-2014, 01:07 AM

So a few years back, I dropped out of high school. Last year, I got into a college program to finish high school while earning college credits. For free. Pretty nifty huh?! But now that I'm out on my own, I'm working a lot and I ended up dropping my classes for this quarter because I had fallen too far behind.

I have to graduate before I turn 21, which is in June. And right now I won't be able to meet that deadline unless I pay for an online class, which is apparently $400 that I don't have. Especially since I just lost my car (it decided it wasn't going to do the whole "car" thing anymore, and is now doing the "sitting like a rock" thing).

Should I keep pushing my schooling (somehow), or should I just get my GED and call that good until I can get financial aid and take one or two classes at a time either online or in class? I definitely want to further my education, I'm just not sure this program is worth the stress if the deadline is so close and I'm on thin ice.

I've invested SO much time and energy into this program. But I have to be able to support myself, and I'm getting a lot of anger from my family about not finishing school. I'm just not sure if I can handle it right now. Not taking three classes each quarter with at least 4+ hours of homework each night. Which doesn't work when I work the graveyard shift.

How do people juggle school and work these days? I know it's possible, but I'm struggling big time! Tell me how you manage this madness!

wishie
Send me cheesecake

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 AM

Have you talked to a counselor and/or financial aid representative about what your options are for money? If you want to take the online courses, you might have to take out a secondary loan which, I believe, is separated from government loans/aids. I know the interest rate will be higher though, but a secondary loan is an option. Then, after the semester ends, you pay it off over the summer/year (since it's $400, if you budget correctly, you should be able to pay it off fairly quick with monthly payments?).

However, your well-being is just as important as your education. You want to make sure that you do well in something that you're paying a lot of money for. Just make sure that if you decide not to graduate when you're 21, that the college program that you're in won't have a negative impact on you in some way. Even if you don't graduate now, you have to tell yourself that you will in the future though.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 AM

I also do the whole working while getting an education thing. I agree that it is difficult. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be working two part-time jobs that I enjoy, while studying and learning the things I love.

I'm not sure what kind of college program you mean (but congratulations on it being free thus far!). So, I can only make the following general suggestions:

1 - talk to the dean or financial aid office about increasing your scholarship or loans (as wishie suggested)
2 - apply for a scholarship or grant outside your school/program
3 - borrow money (especially the $400, not really the car) from family or friends, as their interest rate will probably be lower than otherwise

My third point is one that I foresee in the near future for myself. I don't know about your relationship with family, parents, friends, et cetera, but if they are able to lend you the $400, it can help if the alternate is potentially having to pay interest on loans after a time period.

Fable
OH LEO~

Old 12-08-2014, 09:37 AM

Thank you for the advice you guys! (:
I think I'm going to pick up a second job for now and get some money saved up, so I can hopefully get a less crappy car. Then go back to just one job and hopefully take night classes. I can get financial aid I believe, I just can't while I'm in the program. I'll probably just go and get my GED, then jump back in school when I can handle the work load and focus more on doing well. If I'm going to take a class, I don't want to just pass. I want to do my best. With my current job, my stress level is through the roof (I work at a McDonald's but in a not so nice area where I deal with drug addicts and crazy people all night long. It get's to you after a while).

I think a regular day job would be best. In a better environment, too. I want to get out of working in that part of town.

And if I'm working days, I'll be able to spend more time after work with my significant other. He's been feeling really upset about not seeing me much too, and that's just been adding to my stress. I think we'd both be more relaxed if we actually got to sleep next to each other every now and then.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Hope it is working out for you, Fable!