salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 02-28-2016, 05:44 AM

As the title asks,
Are you using your degree?

For example, if you majored in History in college, are you now in a profession that is related to History?

I am personally not in a profession related to my degree at the moment.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 PM

Actually yes!! I have a degree in Natural History Interpretation and I'm a park ranger. NHI basically means I can read acidification, historical, to some extent legal and medical documents, and find a way to "translate" the information so that a typical layperson can understand it. It's a broad spectrum science education degree primarily used for informal education settings.
TL:DR. I tell people not to touch rattlesnakes.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 AM

I don't have paid work at the moment but I studied Social Science and I apply to practical stuff about human service provision to the volunteer work I do as a community visitor where I advocate on behalf of users of acute mental health and disability services.

TerrenaAnimula
a little earth soul
Penpal

Old 03-12-2016, 02:27 PM

I majored in Studio Art with emphases in Photography and Drawing. I'm currently working in a photo lab/studio. So I am using my degree. However, I would have to say I learned more working here than I did in college.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 AM

My degree was in Animal Behaviour & Welfare, and for a long time it was my dream to work in the education department of my local zoo where i'd volunteered for 5 years throughout and after my degree but it never really worked out for me. I did do a stint as a seasonal presenter at a safari park last year, and i've worked in the animal retail sector for about two years, but to say i graduated in 2012 that's a bit of a lame achievement. There're very few people i know personally who've actually gone on to use their degree, which is sad, and in a lot of cases it's rarely about what you know, and more about who you know.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 03-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Yes and no. I am an engineer but I am also a pharmacy technician. The pharmacy technician one I am using as a tech as a nearby pharmacy.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM

I initially went to school for Neuroscience. I was about a year away from finishing when I had this big quasi breakdown/panic attack about the rest of my life being consumed with job in a field that I was no longer passionate about. I went to community college and did the unthinkable by becoming an art major. My parents and other family members nicknamed me Felicity because of the "outrageous" shift. Eventually I got a degree in Graphic Design with a minor in web development and I don't use it at all, not in a formal sense anyway.

Now, I'm a clerical government lackey and it's so incredibly unfulfilling to me. I kind of wish that present me could go back to past me and tell her to calm down because I likely wouldn't be working in anything related to my major either way. But, I still don't regret the change overall. When I changed to a subject I had actual passion for, it was such a huge relief and brought some truly incredible people and experiences into my life that I can't say I regret it. And I've found places where my experiences in programming and design actually help me in the clerical field.

I think any job is in part what you make it. I've even made a reputation for myself so now I'm usually the one my division calls when they need a table for a flyer that will be publicly circulated and the need it in 15 minutes. So, I get my design fill in that way and also in doing personal projects at home or for friends/family.