MusicEmo
Kira

Old 10-28-2016, 05:22 AM

I have anxiety, mostly social anxiety but also general anxiety. I'm currently taking online classes as to avoid social interactions. The issue is that there are basically no majors I can get solely online, and my local campus is 4 miles away and I have no transportation (I also can't walk, because three out of the four miles are curvy rural roads with no sidewalks and people average 60+ mph despite the speed limit being 30-40).

I was wondering if anyone has these problems and how they deal with them.

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 11-04-2016, 10:57 AM

I found that Cognative Behaviour Therapy or CBT for short helped me with anxiety. I'm right in the middle with botth social and general anxiety. It does help with realizing when you're going into the fueling the anxiety cycle and being able to stop it.

You're probably going to end up getting the bus to get to campus, if ou can get yourself on a single seat on the bus then it mean you don't have the panic of asking someone to move when it's your stop. Alot of people will listen tto music whe traveling so that might help you.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-07-2017, 02:30 AM

I take medication for my anxiety.
I find that it helps a little, but mostly I tend to avoid situations that make me anxious.

I'm not currently in school, but while I was, I was also taking classes online to avoid socializing. I am diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so I find that really the only way for me to deal with it is by taking medication.

I take a PRN for anxiety (as needed medication) as I've tried loads of other SSRIs and daily anxiety medications, which tend to work best for GAD, but I found that the only thing that worked for me was a PRN medication that I just take mostly every day.

I would highly recommend taking a medication for anxiety, especially if it's preventing you from doing (what most people consider) "normal" things in your life, like going to school/work, socializing, etc. However, I would also recommend therapy as well because no one wants to depend on meds their whole lives.

MusicEmo
Kira

Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava The Vampire View Post
I take medication for my anxiety.
I find that it helps a little, but mostly I tend to avoid situations that make me anxious.

I'm not currently in school, but while I was, I was also taking classes online to avoid socializing. I am diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so I find that really the only way for me to deal with it is by taking medication.

I take a PRN for anxiety (as needed medication) as I've tried loads of other SSRIs and daily anxiety medications, which tend to work best for GAD, but I found that the only thing that worked for me was a PRN medication that I just take mostly every day.

I would highly recommend taking a medication for anxiety, especially if it's preventing you from doing (what most people consider) "normal" things in your life, like going to school/work, socializing, etc. However, I would also recommend therapy as well because no one wants to depend on meds their whole lives.
I've actually tried to get diagnosed for my anxiety and depression and I've had psychs diagnose me as a "favor to [my aunt/mom/etc]", but without an official diagnosis I can't help. Because I am Native, in order to get my appointment paid for (because I don't have the money to do it on my own), I can only got to an Indian Health Clinic. My closest one that ISN'T three hours away, has a three year long wait. Even the ones three+ hours a way have two+ year long waits.

Seriously, they have a year long waiting list to tell you, you are on the official year-long wait list, and appointments have to be made a year in advanced.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Where are you located?
I think in the USA, if you are stuck with a long waiting list, you can go to your local ER and they will set you up with a quicker appointment, especially if your symptoms are really severe.

I don't know if that's the same for Canada? I think for Canada they can't do much to get you further along on the waiting list because of the universal healthcare. But I'm not too sure about that.

If you're in America, it definitely sucks how our healthcare system is so crappy that people who need help have to wait years to get it! I would hope that our healthcare system would be more accessible for people who need help now.

But yeah, like I said, if you can, I would try going to the ER and just explaining to them what is going on. The least they can do is prescribe you something for your anxiety and give you a diagnosis.

MusicEmo
Kira

Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava The Vampire View Post
Where are you located?
I think in the USA, if you are stuck with a long waiting list, you can go to your local ER and they will set you up with a quicker appointment, especially if your symptoms are really severe.

[...]

But yeah, like I said, if you can, I would try going to the ER and just explaining to them what is going on. The least they can do is prescribe you something for your anxiety and give you a diagnosis.
I am in the US, but my insurance barely covers half an ER visit, if they cover any at all, which means it'd cost about $300+ to go. Also the way Indian Health Care works is they demand to know when and why you go to the ER, because if it's "life threatening" they will pay for the visit. At least with our local clinic, if you go to care that isn't theirs, that they offer (like mental health) they get mad. When my dad sought help, he had to go to an outside counselor, and the clinic hasn't treated him the same way since (on a personal level, not on a treatment level).