Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM

So, in celebration of returning to Menewsha, I have decided to open a thread about my latest exploits in the world of food! Come with me and you can inquire about my awkward struggle to save capital by growing my own food! And some pretty flowers. Because... because.

Quick question for anyone. Do you know how I get pictures from my phone on this website? Do I need a third party host?

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namune View Post
So, in celebration of returning to Menewsha, I have decided to open a thread about my latest exploits in the world of food! Come with me and you can inquire about my awkward struggle to save capital by growing my own food! And some pretty flowers. Because... because.

Quick question for anyone. Do you know how I get pictures from my phone on this website? Do I need a third party host?
Probably. I always use the Menewsha photo upload function. But it's only good for signature pictures.

What do you know about fine mac and cheese?

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wrong View Post
Probably. I always use the Menewsha photo upload function. But it's only good for signature pictures.

What do you know about fine mac and cheese?
Aw man... yeah, that didn't work.

Depends. Fine dining, luxurious mac and cheese? Or, "this is a fine night to go to the hospital" rich mac and cheese?

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Aw man... yeah, that didn't work.

Depends. Fine dining, luxurious mac and cheese? Or, "this is a fine night to go to the hospital" rich mac and cheese?
When is it ever a fine night to go to the hospital? No. No. No. Good Heavens, no. I meant mac and cheese from a fine dining establishment. Or possibly that you create your own?

I've always been a fan of mac and cheese and it's only recently that I've taught myself how to make a decent batch. However, I'm not quite at the culinary level that I would like to be at. There once was a restaurant in Tucson that made the best mac and cheese ever. But they closed and the recipe has slipped from my grasp.

If you show me your secret recipe, I'll show you mine.

---------- Post added 03-09-2017 at 10:06 PM ----------

In other good news, I discovered that certain Walmarts carry powdered cheese which is crucial to how I make my mac and cheese.

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Well if I make hospital-worthy stuff it encourages me to stay within portion sizes. I've done that with cheese-based dishes before where I eat more than I should then just lie in bed waiting for death to take me for my transgressions.

Mmm, powder? Interesting. In other news, I have about 30 boxes of mac and cheese in my cabinet since they were on clearence for 33 cents. It's fast, easy, and sometimes better than spending $30 on two people.

One of my many macs:
1 c sharp cheddar
1 c colby jack
1 c mild cheddar
1 c farmers cheese
1 box, 16-20oz celentani noodles
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c 1/2 and 1/2
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 c panko bread crumbs

I honestly have about six different ways of making this depending on how cheesey, how firm, how condensed, etc I want it, but these are the hits.

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 03-11-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Well if I make hospital-worthy stuff it encourages me to stay within portion sizes. I've done that with cheese-based dishes before where I eat more than I should then just lie in bed waiting for death to take me for my transgressions.

Mmm, powder? Interesting. In other news, I have about 30 boxes of mac and cheese in my cabinet since they were on clearence for 33 cents. It's fast, easy, and sometimes better than spending $30 on two people.

One of my many macs:
1 c sharp cheddar
1 c colby jack
1 c mild cheddar
1 c farmers cheese
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c 1/2 and 1/2
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 c panko bread crumbs

I honestly have about six different ways of making this depending on how cheesey, how firm, how condensed, etc I want it, but these are the hits.
You mean mac so good it can send you to the hospital. I was thinking the other way around.

Farmers cheese? What is farmers cheese? I like to use cheddar or a Monterrey jack mix with mozzarella to make the cheeses stretchy.

I'll use an extra packet of powdered cheese to make my mac concoction. A wasted box of noodles is worth it to me if it brings about more flavor.

In addition to the milk and butter I add about a half cup of cheddar soup. Add the cheeses and powder along with some ground beef and you have yourself a fattening meal.

GrimKusanagi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to GrimKusanagi

Old 03-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:

One of my many macs:
1 c sharp cheddar
1 c colby jack
1 c mild cheddar
1 c farmers cheese
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c 1/2 and 1/2
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 c panko bread crumbs

I guess I'm lazy I just add whipping cream and a fair amount of extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 PM

When I make mac and cheese I just combine butter, flour, milk and shredded cheese that I shred myself. I usually use a mixture of cheeses because just extra sharp cheddar on its own renders too much fat and doesn't adhere to the noodles correctly.

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wrong View Post
You mean mac so good it can send you to the hospital. I was thinking the other way around.

Farmers cheese? What is farmers cheese? I like to use cheddar or a Monterrey jack mix with mozzarella to make the cheeses stretchy.

I'll use an extra packet of powdered cheese to make my mac concoction. A wasted box of noodles is worth it to me if it brings about more flavor.

In addition to the milk and butter I add about a half cup of cheddar soup. Add the cheeses and powder along with some ground beef and you have yourself a fattening meal.
To be honest, I'm sure it's just a fancy name for a more tart flavor of cheese. It's interesting when cubed up with cheddar.

Ah. I see. I've done the extra packet when I needed those noodles for something else. Cheddar soup mixed in sounds delightful.

---------- Post added 03-13-2017 at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimKusanagi View Post
I guess I'm lazy I just add whipping cream and a fair amount of extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Nonsense. Whipping cream, veleeta, ground chuck, and rotel combine to make the greatest chip sauce ever.

---------- Post added 03-13-2017 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava The Vampire View Post
When I make mac and cheese I just combine butter, flour, milk and shredded cheese that I shred myself. I usually use a mixture of cheeses because just extra sharp cheddar on its own renders too much fat and doesn't adhere to the noodles correctly.
Speaking of shred, have you ever used a zester for cheese? I did it on mozzarella and it was so fine the pile re-adhered into a chunk of cheese. Works really goof for adding hard cheeses to soups.