Witch
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM

I've seen it several times in Deviantart and several other art sites, artists were posting up the proof of how they have improves through many years as an artists.
They will lining up some of their artworks that they have done from many years back to the latest one they have made this very recent year.

How about you?

Do you think, as an artist you have improved a lot after all these years full of practices?

What points do you think have drastically improved?

Perhaps your perspective, skills, techniques, creativities, originalities, styles, or maybe something else?

How about showing us some samples of your works, lining up according to the timeline, so we can see your -journey- as an artist? :D

Aeschylus
Sarcasm Machine

Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Oh, oh! I have some! xD Just let me scan it first...

EDIT: Okay this is something I drew three years ago, and this was drawn last week.

Here is a full body to compare? Dx This was drawn last year.

Tre Le Coco

Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM

you mean one of these?

http://trelecoco.deviantart.com/art/...years-68800378

lol xDDD well yeah, i think i have improved over the years ^^ still not the best i can be of course, but i'll get there one day =D

Rowan Flare
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM

i know that i've improved. my mom always tells me to never throw away my drawings and to put the date that i drew them on.

these are old but there is still a lot of improvement

old

newer version

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Hmm.. I'll have to scan some old drawings into the computer, then compare them to my old ones for you.. but.. I'd have to find them first.

I have improved a lot..but.. not great yet. Still need practice ^^

Elvis

Old 02-24-2008, 02:16 AM

I'd like to think that I have improved but sadly, not as much as i would of liked to.
It's quite entertaining going through some of my old sketch books.
Some pieces in them are just so awful compared to my recent art, that it's kinda embaressing, and i cant help but laugh.

RogueShadow
Send a message via AIM to RogueShadow Send a message via MSN to RogueShadow

Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 PM

i'm an artist. and i've been drawing anime since uhm.. 2000? that's about 8 years now.. and i've improved ALOT! i even have my own webcomic now.

though i dive more into soft pastels these days and some landscapes/abstract work. i still use anime basis that i learned in my youth.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 AM

I've improved greatly as an artist- from when I first started drawing anime style eight years ago anyway. :). However, in the last few years, I don't feel that I improved. At all. :(. My coloring abilities get better and better, but the quality tends to stay the same. Or maybe I have improved, but I just haven't realized it. I don't really know. But there are some new drawings of mine that look like I drew them three years ago, which really annoys me. >_<;. However, my realistic art has greatly improved since my senior year of high school- a realistic drawing of Jareth from Labyrinth(David Bowie, technically) looks like crap compared to a self portrait I had to draw for basic drawing last semester. I actually got my facial features right, and it actually looks 3D. The Jareth one does, too, but some of his features look strange. :(. I'm not going to stop drawing, even though I haven't really improved, though- I'll just keep practicing, and hope that I eventually get better.

Burnt Biscuits
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM

I hate it, it doesn't feel like I'm improving unless I look back on my old stuff. It's kind of depressin, you know? At least I am improving...

remaja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM

I kinda losing track atm D:
more and more often I found myself has no desire to draw anymore. As a result, my art sometimes is not satisfy my quality standard. It makes me so sad. I still can remember the evolution i have made in drawing art from early age of 6 into now.

I dont want to lose my ability that I have practised over and over in the past but at the same time its hard to make my passion back

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 AM

Of course I made one of those improvement...things. I did mine based on several characters of mine so I'll have to apologize for the file being huge.

http://mad-jester356.deviantart.com/...ement-49186102

I also think I have improved quite a lot with my realistic work, (or classwork really) but I'm too lazy to go digging through my gallery for examples. Maybe tomorrow when I'm more awake. ^.^;

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM

My most recent artwork:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...mmy/choc-1.png

A year ago:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4.../Swatches2.png

Yah, it's a pretty bid improvement for me. lol.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 PM

I'm getting there.

I still have a lot more improvement to make, but ever since I started drawing with the help of a few guides and a few manga books, I've gotten a lot better! I'm really proud of my improvement, even though I have a long way to go.

My main goals are to pinpoint anatomy. I would also like to improve on hands and hair, and I'm still searching for just the right style to make the eyes look realistic. Poses are another big thing for me. After that, I'd probably work on coloring and actually being able to shade correctly. Then maybe backgrounds. *plans out entire artistic future* XD

aonith
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Hm... I think I'm the only loser, who didn't improve at all for the last few years... I mean... i heven hardly draw right now...
That makes me pretty sad, but at the same time it's only ma fault.

So:

suppi
sleepyhead

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 AM

Well, I've been drawing since I was in kindergarten.. maybe earlier. xD I have definitely improved from my stick figures to actually drawings of people and other things. xD

Right now, I focus more on the anime/manga style of art.. I started drawing them when I was in... 4th grade, I think. I really sucked back then~ my anatomy was super bad, and I knew nothing about special art programs or that sort of stuff. But I learned all that stuff in a short amount of time... even though I'm not a professional or anything, I enjoy drawing and improving my art every time I pick up my pencil. I use my tablet more, but I doodle a lot in class.. looking at art that's a lot better than mine gets me motivated to draw some more. xD And that's one reason I like dA; there are many wonderful artists there that have different art styles.. it's just a great place to be. :3

Gossy
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 AM

An artist can never stop improving, even if they are held to be masters.

I drew a lot of still life and copied a lot of photos when I was younger, and now I can create images from my mind and using references. I think I have learned a lot about using digital mediums like photoshop and visualizing figures and lighting, and creating a composition while choosing the right colors.

Hon
De-activated

Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM

I think my art is improving, I just need to practice more. x'D

Don't have any examples currently to post, buuuuut..
I started drawing in 6th grade. It began as "U" shaped heads and long skinny-stick body. XD I would get sudden urges just to draw, and at the time thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I mostly just focus on humans- before, I only did cats. (Flying cats, specifically. Haha.)

I agree with Gossy, an artist can never stop improving themselves. There's so many styles of art, and so much to draw. Landscapes, people, animals, fantasy, etc. and then to take into account of perspective and everything.. Just, tons. x'D There's no 'end' in 'art'.

Dr Faust VIII

Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 AM

Your art improves all the time. It really seems like It never improves but if you look back at old art it becomes clear. Also how many times have you all said this is my best picture yet. All the time, right. So you must be getting better. At least that's how it is with me.

Nightshade1988
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Oh man. I don't even recognize my old drawings. I'm so much more refined. There's always improving to do, though.

Scribble Me Orange
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM

You guys improved A LOT.

As for me, I've improved from stick figures with weird-ass anime heads on them, up to needing quite a bit of anatomy practice to perfect that part. I threw away my old anime stick-head-figure-thing drawings because I felt no need to keep something as bad as they were. It was HILARIOUS. xD

I don't draw in pencil too much now because I find that since I'm on the computer..hmm..not as often as I used to be, but still quite a bit, I can stop here and draw a headshot or something on my tablet real quick. :]

I find I've improved..well..drastically, but I still can't draw for beans. xD

Solinhild
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Haha, I would make one of those timeline things, but after moving around so much I don't know if I have too much old work to use as a comparison, even if I've literally been drawing ever since I can remember. I shall have to raid the scan folders on my computer to see what I can come up with, although I won't be posting any timeline until I have a bunch more on my dA and it doesn't look so pathetic. XDD

But I know I have improved, thank god. For a long time I was stuck just drawing headshots and could never work up the courage to try a whole person, but I'm getting over that now. XD My style is still not where I want it to be, but fer chrissakes, I'm 19, I think I have some time to improve. xDDD My dA is solinhild.deviantart.com and there is some stuff there that's a couple years old to compare my new stuff with. xD;; But if I'm too lazy to link to individual pieces I full expect people to be too lazy to check, so yeah. xDDD;;

I think knowing that I am actually improving is the only thing keeping me sane as I drool over the work of better artists and try to force myself to remember that most of them are older than me and have had more training/practice. xDDD