Lore
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 PM

I've just recently obtained a tablet at the suggestion of my friend and I just CAN'T seem to keep my hands still and it makes the line art shaky and icky. Do you suffer from this, too?

And HOW DOES ONE FIX IT? D8

Also, a small tip for anyone that finds their tablet getting sort of.. dirty, I guess - you know, from rubbing your hand on it so much - just take a thin glove and cut off all of the fingers! It'll keep the side of your hand off the tablet. :3

Aero
(・・^...
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Aero

Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 PM

• I used to have one, I returned it since I couldn't get the pressure to work. D:

Uhm...you just relax. When you're all tense and trying to focus, you try to make it perfect and aligned, causing your hand to shake. :]

crazy
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 PM

I've never had the shaky problem before but my tablet gets dirty all the time. XD I just wipe it off with a wet tissue and it's fine. ^_^

Lore
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM

@Aero: xD It's not because of that, I just have very shaky hands in general. I can just hold them out and they wobble and shake slightly. It effects my drawing as well as my general grip, unfortunately.

babydvlangel
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 AM

Sorry I can't help you, I never used a tablet or have one, but I want to get one though, seems easier to draw than using a mouse, I use the mouse to draw on my computer, it's hard, but I'm getting better at it. Maybe you get squiggly lines because your hands are shaky? Some people are used to it so maybe thats why it doesn't look shaky. Well..., good luck

tehrin
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to tehrin Send a message via MSN to tehrin

Old 10-13-2007, 07:39 AM

I have the same problem myself. One thing that I do to remedy this is to zoom in as close as I can to the area that I'm outlining, and then use short, small strokes. For larger areas (especially working at print resolution) I usually use the pen tool to get the outlines. But if you're just using big, heavy, and slow strokes zoomed out at 100%, it is going to get extremely shaky. It takes quite awhile to get a good technique down, and requires practice and patience. But once you get it, I've found my tablet to be the greatest asset I have when it comes to art!

Raion Ronin
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Raion Ronin

Old 10-13-2007, 08:51 AM

IT may also be that you're new to a tablet. I was really shakey when I first got my tablet, but after a month or so I got a lot better even with my super shakey hands.

Also it helps to make quick lines, even if they go farther than you like. You can always go back and erase excess.

Another thing is to take advantage of the pressure sensitivity. Don't press hard on the tablet. Lightly brush the pen over the screen area. Then you can go over it multiple times to make a smooth and tapered line

n___n

If your pressure sensitivity isn't working you need to install the driver. It should have come with a CD. If not, check the manufacturers website for a driver download.

Freakishly Human
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Freakishly Human Send a message via MSN to Freakishly Human Send a message via Yahoo to Freakishly Human

Old 10-14-2007, 04:46 AM

I agree that it could just be that you're new at it. I had such a hard time with mine at first as well. I do very basic sketches at first now and then zoom in to refine areas as they need it. The other thing I do is draw things out by hand and scan them in and then refine it.

Mine actually doesn't really get too dirty. Dusty at times since I don't always do things digitally, but the glove thing is a pretty good tip for dealing with that. Good luck and I hope you get more used to using it!

shellthabunny
*^_^*

Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

I agree as well about being new at it, I found when I was really new I was trying to draw lines slow like I kind of do with pencil/paper. It seems when you do it a little slow there are always little shakey squiggles. Maybe try to do it faster then normal? and try not to puch on the pen as hard. :)

Petty
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Here's a tip I use cause I have the SAME problem. :3

If you put the brush on a 60% opacity setting and make smaller, quicker strokes... the wiggles don't show. :3

You're probably getting a lot of wiggly lines because you're trying to draw something in one long, drawn-out stroke. :3

If that doesn't work, try getting a heaty pad or heatable sock thing to lay on your arm before you draw to loosen your muscles, cause you could be getting shakey lines from muscle tension. :3

Hope this helps!~ <3

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM

hmmn, Im thinking of buying a tablet myself. Shakey lines? Well I hope I wont have that problem.. Thanks for the keeping clean tip! =D

Anrie Talis

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM

Well I was, and still am a little, like that myself.
It was really bad when I first got my tablet, but it'll get better the more you use your tablet.

You really just have to practice with it.
With that said play around with the opacity, the brush strokes, and how much you zoom in.

Tip: don't zoom in to much or you'll end up with broken lines trying to connect to one another. Or you could also end up with a wobbly line, but you though was straight.
Also don't zoom out to a point where you end up with nothing but choppy lines as well, unless that's what your going for.

Anyways, you just have to play around with it, get used to the feel of it. Do some simple test pictures and work your way up from there.
I hope this helped somewhat. :)

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Han'iurami

Old 03-19-2008, 02:33 AM

I used to have a similar problem with shaky and wobbly lines on my tablet but I do believe mine was more so stress related.The best way i solved it was warming my hands up and massaging them for about five minutes before getting to work.As the many individuals here mentioned,it is best to find the right brush stroke and to have a comfortable level to work at if you find yourself zooming in and out a lot.I found it easier to work with when I had some form of a sketch down and then went over what I had done with a certain percentage zoomed in at one area,once the area was done i'd adjust and move on to the next sort of like segments ^^

Omi
Artistic Angel

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM

As others have mentioned-- Pressure sensitivity, zoom in, etc. :3

But I also find that this helps a LOT:
Double or even triple the canvas size when you work. So if you want your final image to be around 500x600px, ink/color a 1000x1200px image and then reduce it when you're done.

It usually comes out looking a lot cleaner then.

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM

I haven't really had a problem with shakey lines and I got my tablet for Christmas. I think for me it's just because I use my tablet mostly for sketching doodles or for coloring. I haven't done much line work so I do not know if I'm affected by that.

Kisrah
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM

I've never been able to do particularly neat line art with the tablet. xP Almost a year ago I gave up on trying to be neat, and just went with a rough style. I like the way it looks, but I began to miss the neater lines. :(

That's when I started searching for tutorials a few months ago, looking for something that might be able to show me how to draw a neater line. There's a great one on deviantART, which I recommend to anyone who uses Photoshop. You don't even need a tablet for this! In fact, I find it easier to use the mouse. It uses the software's Pen Tool to draw the lines, and it works great!

The tutorial's creator says it works for CS and up. I have Photoshop 7, and it works exactly the same. :D

It might seem tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to use, and I find it faster than trying to draw the line art by hand.

Here's the tutorial. Hope that helps some of you. :)