Jali
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 AM

Hiya there!

I always wondered, and couldn't seem to figure it out myself, how artist get their outlines so darn smooth when they outline on the computer.
Not only smooth, but a nice thickness, not too thick, not too thing.

Is there a special technique or tool i'm supposed to be using?

I'd be great if you guys could share some tips!

Heres an example of one of my outline/colorings on the computer:

I drew with pencil, scanned, and outlined/colored on different layers.
I just cant stand how thick and messy the lines seem compared to other's! D;

mystic kiwi
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to mystic kiwi

Old 03-26-2008, 02:43 AM

I use Adobe photoshop and use the pen tool. It makes nice smooth lines and depending on what brush you use, you can change the thickness.

Muziek
One who fears not arrows, but lo...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 AM

I think using a tablet would be the best chance, with a touch-sensitive program...
It makes your lines seem 'real' and less clumsy.

foggyday
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 AM

do u have a tablet?XDif so, Ctrl+Z.xD

if not, pen would be the way to go..
like what kiwi said^^

Kitanya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 AM

You can either use the pencil tool on photoshop or use a tablet.

If you do have a tablet, there are options on photoshop to tweak the brush and make the lines look better. :3

But there are other programs that are better for outlines if you're using a tablet. I use SAI and Painter for mine ^_^

Jali
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 AM

@mystic kiwi: That makes sense. I used to have Adobe, but sadly, it's lost somewhere in my mess of a room. ><
So thats pretty much out of the question...
All I have as far as art programs go, is GIMP and PaintShopPro. ICK.

@8D: Thats what I was thinking. I've been in the process of getting a tablet. I forget how it was to use a tablet, hopefully it'll work out fer me!

L_Ryuuzaki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Tablet works wonders.
Balled mouse=difficult.

Jali
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 PM

I know how that is!
I really miss my tablet ><

Thank goodness I don't have a ball mouse though, cuz that'd be even worse!
I have a laser mouse, but it's still pretty crappy. :|

L_Ryuuzaki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Laser mice bug me. They don't do well when the surface isn't perfectly smooth, or very close to perfectly smooth. Without tablet, you basically get carpal tunnel from trying to draw.

Jali
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM

Mmmhmm, and also VERY frustrated. ><
It takes me far too long to do an outline of something then it should!

Laser mouses are pretty annoying too, like once in a while my mouse will be freaking out, and i'll look underneath it and it's because theres a little fuzzball or something interfearing with the darn laser. @@

I remember that ball mouses are pretty annoying too though, like the ball would always get stuck!
Their fun to play with though <<

L_Ryuuzaki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM

The ball mice drive me crazy because not only do they rattle, but you have to clean them now and then to get rid of the gunk in the wheels, which quite frankly, I don't know where that stuff came from. My mousepad is fairly clean, I don't eat near my computer, and yet my mouse used to collect this gunk.

suppi
sleepyhead

Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM

A tablet + Paint Tool SAI = good quality line-art. xD
Well.. at least that's how my art works.. SAI is a really good program~ it works well with tablets and creates fine lines. :]]

Here's what I mean~

Ignore the coloring. xD I know it suckss~

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

I tried using tablet but I'll have to say no to it, unless I am about to mimic the style of traditional art... but I don't really use lines for my drawings nowadays, I prefer lineless illustrations. though before I use Pentool in making line art, you'll be able to control the thickness of the line you may want to add to your drawings.

Melilot
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Welll... what program are you using?
If you're using PSP, any version, and you want to do the picture completely digitally, don't.

It is very hard to get straight lines there. It looks like that's what you used.

Use other programs, like Opencanvas first. Or, use a scanner and get a base.

I struggled with that same concept starting out. Someone told me to draw at a bigger size and reduce it after the pic is done.
It works, but it makes the picture somewhat... well, it's not the same quality.

OC (I use OC1)has very smooth lines. It acts like a tablet, even if you have a mouse and don't have pressure sensitivity. I loves it. <3

Really, start off a scanned or photographed pic. It's much easier for your life. I don't even bother to ink. I just use 'lightness/contrast' and start coloring away. Lols.

OH!!! You might want to invest in some version of Painter. I have painter 9. Got it off of amazon for CHEAP. Lovely lines. High learning curve, but lovely lines.

-----------

I've used a mouse (ball-type) pretty much since I've been digitally drawing. Which would be... at least 6-7 years.
I'm only getting carpal tunnel from typing so damn much. Lols. Never really experimented with Laser. I need something mechanical and substantial.

You can draw/color with a mouse. It just takes dexterity... a while. T_T
Image in my siggie: It's a cropped image, much larger. Just a sample: most of the coloring and lineart done with a mouse.

ElectricVmpr
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 PM

I use a tablet with my art and my lines always turn out very nicely

:D

WishingMoon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 AM

Its just like anything else. Testing again and again till you find what works.

MurasakiCrown
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 PM

I use Adobe Photoshop CS2. I use brushes for putting in color, but for the lineart, I use the pen tool.

This is the method I like to use best:

http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutor...utorial_id=367