Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 AM

i believe making plushies is an art, so i'm putting this here. (this could also go in the discussion forum)

i've just started to dive into the world of plushie making. i have made palm sized bunny and fox heads and a heart. i use felt and i'll probably use arcylic paint to paint on eyes and mouths.

who here makes plushies?
what fabrics do you use?
do you sew in the eyes and/or mouth or do you paint them on? what paint do you use and on what fabrics?

DieTotgeburtDesZeus
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via ICQ to DieTotgeburtDesZeus Send a message via AIM to DieTotgeburtDesZeus

Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM

i sometimes make plushies when bored... i use felt as well, because it's cheap and easy to handle, since i actually suck at sewing...
so far i made a little octopus and gaia's bani clips x3 they turned out too cute.
for eyes and mouths i usually use fabric pens... they aren't easy to handle on felt, but kinda okay. you paint the stuff on, iron it and voilá - it's durable. for white spots in the eyes (since you can't really leave them free when painting because of the structure of felt) i used small rhinestones - shiny!

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Poring dolls.. about eight or nine so far. Two sizes; small (the base is slightly larger than a quarter), and normal, where the base is the size of a gamecube game disk. They're super simple, because I'm just not very good XD.

They're pretty cute though, or at least I think so. They're not all Porings per se, some of them are just little blobby dolls. I use anything I can get my hands on; denim, cotton, mostly from old clothes, but mum got me two colours of fleece since it was on sale, and I can't wait to work with it. It's in light pink and light green, perfect colours for a Poring and a Poporing.

I embroider the face using woven wheels for the eyes and for a splash of white at the corners of the eyes (or french knots for the small size dolls), and sort of modified woven picots for a bit of blush below the eyes. For the shines in the eyes I just knots a bit of white thread around in the appropriate spot.

I think the faces can take almost as long as the doll on the normal sizes! A little less time on the small ones though XD.

Sagitar
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 AM

I have made one plushie in my life xD a cat plushie. she looks pathetic :( </3 I can't really sew or make patterns so... yep.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM

wow I love this , well I started making dolls once thing is I bought the cloth body already done but in blank that is without hair or face or anything just the shape, then I used whool pink whool for the hair and added ribbons to create pigtails for the dollie then I found two really small round black buttons for the eyes (it was the kind of buttons that look like pearls really small and not the combentional type) then I drew the mouth line with an acrylic painting and some blush for her cheeks I also drew the eyebrows.
Then I sew a dressie, it was simple really cause unfortunately I suck at sewing T__T well then I asked a friend to knit small shoes for her, shoes were a problem really cause I didnt know how to solve them so I decided knitted shoes would be a solution even if they looked more appropiated for a baby doll.
Then I added some little details like a pocket and some flowers to decorate her it ended up looking pretty sweet I think I still have her somewhere, if I do I will find a pic for you guys, though I bought 10 doll bodies and ended up making only one doll >.<;;

soup
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-08-2008, 01:13 PM

I've made some, I've done little ones w/felt and bigger ones with fleece, plus I just learned to crochet so I've mad some amigurumi-type plushies, too.
(:

I prefer to embroider the mouth/eyes, sew on beads or glue them on. I tried the paint thing and it didn't look that great.

http://soupcomplex.deviantart.com/
(my deviantart)

I'm still a beginner though, I only started making plushies a few months ago. ;O

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Soup: I love the gaiaonline plushies XD what a cute idea! I think your cake plushie and the 'lopsided' Nyanko are adorable too. The amiguri bear is really awesome as well, wish I had that kind of skill.

I really think embroidery is the way to go on small dolls. On large ones it's probably better to sew on pieces of felt (although I might still embroider the mouth), simply because of the massive amount of thread that large eyes would use XD.

soup
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 AM

LazyKat, it doesn't really take any sort of skill to do what I do. XD Now, for some people who do in fact have skills, their work with simple pieces of felt ISLIKEWHOA.

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup
LazyKat, it doesn't really take any sort of skill to do what I do. XD Now, for some people who do in fact have skills, their work with simple pieces of felt ISLIKEWHOA.
*gets so jealous* I hate looking at other peoples things when they are SUPERGOOD. Totally discourages me from even touching a needle ever again.

I still think that bear is the bees knees though.

Din
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 AM

I've only made one to my knowledge. It's a felt mole I made for chem class. (extra credit)
It's all sewn and has button eyes and shit. xD

It was a pun for the term 'mol'.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-09-2008, 05:20 PM

DieTot: oh~ rhinestones for the eyes. i think i'll try that.

Lazy: thanks for that link. <3 i use basic stitching so it'll take some practice.

sagitar: i first attempt at a plushie was blah too. i tried to make a bunny, but the pattern turned out to be a fox. XD

Trinity: that sounds really pretty! sadly, i'm not ready to make a doll yet. ^^;

soup: those are so cute! <33 i must stalk you now. XD i'm still a beginner too. just started a month ago. ^^

Din: which area are you in? my chem class had to make plushie moles too for extra credit.

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Speaking of stitching, I use a backstitch to sew the parts together, it's really quite strong and I think it's very useful to learn. I do most of the sewing by hand, especially on smaller projects, and having a good strong hand-stitch method really helps when you don't have the uniform strength of the sewing machine.
Also just for your information;

Cherry Mix has some cute, simple patterns. The Mochi pattern is the one I modified to make my first poring dolls. The cupcakes are always a fun project as well XD doing Mochi's will help prime you for cupcakes, if you feel they're complex. I'm not sure how you'd rate your level of complexity-readiness, mine was absolutely 0/10 when I started XD

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 AM

araa, I really wish I had the skills to make plushes! Unfortunately, i am utter fail at sewing. XD

Go kongouseki!

Solinhild
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM

I wanted to try making the felt sortofflat type of plushies, but when I went to try to buy the stuffing stuff, it was like £13/$26 a bag. So I was all...kthnxbai. And didn't get it. xD;;

I once made sock puppets for Spanish class though. Several years ago. They were pretty involved for sock puppets, but it was fun. :'D Dyed a wal-mart sock pink. lmao

Blondheart
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM

I've been a professional toymaker for 26 years. Pretty much all I make are stuffed animals. Mine are made of imported german mohair, with glass eyes and they are full jointed.

I do all my own designs and each piece is one of a kind. It's been a great job, I've gotten to travel all over the world to do shows and been able to help quite a few charities along the way. Here is a pic of one of my bears:

I've been wanting to learn to crochet recently however, I really love some of these amigurumi pieces. I want to try that out for myself.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Lazycat: nice! *favorites links*

Prodigy: but you're good at other things. <3

Solinhild: i didnt buy stuffing, i used the leftover felt and cut it into small pieces and made that the stuffing. XD

Blondheart: that's so cute! it's difficult for me to learn crocheting. my aunts my "teacher", but i'm left handed XDD

Blondheart
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 PM

Oh I bet it is hard to learn left handed. I don't even know if I can do it right handed! XD

Din
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongouseki
DieTot: oh~ rhinestones for the eyes. i think i'll try that.

Lazy: thanks for that link. <3 i use basic stitching so it'll take some practice.

sagitar: i first attempt at a plushie was blah too. i tried to make a bunny, but the pattern turned out to be a fox. XD

Trinity: that sounds really pretty! sadly, i'm not ready to make a doll yet. ^^;

soup: those are so cute! <33 i must stalk you now. XD i'm still a beginner too. just started a month ago. ^^

Din: which area are you in? my chem class had to make plushie moles too for extra credit.
California. =] 95219 ring a bell?

L_Ryuuzaki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Felt primarily. It works well, comes in many different colors, can be bought in small sheets (because most of my projects are small), and is quite a forgiving fabric. You can create bumps and dents by pushing or pulling it. A lot of other fabrics don't work that way. I attach velcro to bits so that you can remove pieces and change it around like a paper doll. Hair, clothes, even limbs are removable. It lets me keep the same faces on dolls and simply switch out the bodies. [In as uncreepy a way as possible, I mean.] Body fits into panda outfit.

Kite
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via MSN to Kite

Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 AM

I make a range of plushies or whatever, but they're poorly done and I don't use patterns etc.