KilalaBlue
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 AM

I've heard 2 different things on what Oekaki is so...
I'd like to know what it really is and looks like.

Anyone here an Oekaki artist?
(That is how it's spelled right?)

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 AM

Different things? Oekaki is oekaki, I'm not sure what else it could be.
Try Oekakicentral.com, that's oekaki, beginner, amateur, advanced, it's all there.

I do draw on oekaki boards every now and then, but not often anymore. I wouldn't call myself an oekaki artist, but I kinda stray from calling myself an artist at any time.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 AM

I used to draw on oekaki boards. I gave up after I realized that continuing to use them was pointless, though, as they had a bad tendency to erase them. And besides that, no one ever commented on my art. :(.

LazyKat
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javert
I used to draw on oekaki boards. I gave up after I realized that continuing to use them was pointless, though, as they had a bad tendency to erase them. And besides that, no one ever commented on my art. :(.
Aw, sorry you had such a bad experience. I used 2draw.net more than anything, and I really liked it. If you put effort in your work, commented on others, and listened to critique (which was usually pretty good), you could get quite a few comments :)

But 2draw isn't a traditional oekaki board as it's known, at least not as I see it.

OekakiCentral I never really fit in, but I guess I didn't try that hard.

KilalaBlue
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

I've never heard of an Oekaki board >__o
I only really heard of Oekaki as something drawn with a mouse on the paint program.

Eevee
Smiley Abuser @ w @

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Oekaki is japanese for "doodle" which is most often associated with drawing or doodling in a somewhat "primitive" art program such as MS Paint and an actual oekaki board.

Oekaki boards however do offer features that are similar to Photoshop such as a pen tool, airbrush tool, and watercolor tool. However it's never as high quality as what's produced in Photoshop or other popular and expensive programs, but it gives you something to use without having to spend money or download as long as you have Java and a decently fast internet speed. I found Oekaki boards a bit hard to use when I used to have dial-up.

There's also something called Shi Painter Paint Chat that's similar in how an oekaki board works, but you and others across the world enter a chatroom with a giant canvas board and you can all draw at the same time but it runs the risk of jerks running in and deleting the entire canvas while everyone is drawing. And the only way to save images is to screenshot your drawing. It also requires Java and a decently fast internet speed.