Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Han'iurami

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 PM

Okay so i have been having difficulty getting some decent backgrounds done,it's becoming really repetitive and it's getting on my nerves so:

What would you suggest?

Do you have the same problem?

Do you have a certain technique or routine that you use for your art?

Please do share

anthony996
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 PM

if you can do a foresty backround i'd be tempted to buy it i love forests! lol

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 PM

I agree backgrounds can be anoying to do. You made me think about it now, and I think that for me its because I get inspired to draw something, but then never intended to include backgrounds, and dont find any inspiration to do them(I often dont include backgrounds).

If thats your case, you could make it easier for yourself to think out the background before you begin drawing. Think it out good, and try to inspire yourself with all the amazing things you are planning to draw in this background.

If you really dont have any ideas on what to think of when I say "details".. Well, theyre anything. Just fill up that background. Put objects in there, use a wide variety of colors. Take your time working out details on these object. Still clueless? You could check drawing books on how to create nice backgrounds:3

I think I would do that. Hope it brings you luck^-^

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Ah thank you very much D-Yoop, i've been trying to update my style of art for a while now and i've realized that in most that I have either a building in the background or the ocean.I'd try to do a foresty kind of scene but the leaves drive me crazy XP anyways, thanks for the advice

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM

hehe no problem :3

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM

I would suggest just looking up scenery on the internet or flip through magazines like national geographic and put them away somewhere to add as a background later. You can find some really awesome backgrounds and it also serves as a challenge to yourself to try and draw them.

You also never know when you'll have a picture and happen to have the perfect background filed away somewhere.

Kisrah
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han'iurami
I'd try to do a foresty kind of scene but the leaves drive me crazy XP anyways, thanks for the advice
Unless you're really fussy about little details, why not try something a bit more abstract? =) I wanted a forest background for some pictures I made, but I was worried about the leaves too.

My first thought was to use the leaf shaped brush in Photoshop for the leaves. That didn't work out too well. It looked weird, and flat. I had these nice tree trunks I was very happy with, and horrible flat looking leaves! X_X

In the end, I used a plain old round brush to paint on a layer with large, green shapes that would become the leafy part of the tree, and used Dodge and Burn tools to shade it and make it stand out more.

It's not very detailed, but I love how it came out and it's perfect for what I needed. ^-^

I plan to try doing other backgrounds in the same sort of style. Starting out with rough shapes and building up on them with my favourite shading tools.

If you have it, Photoshop is handy for doing background because you can do different sections on individual layers, and it's easy to correct errors or take out bits you don't like without changing the parts you want to keep. <3

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 AM

Thank you Kisrah!! That is great advice and i'm going to try it out right away on my next piece,I swear I don't know what i'd do without the internet.It's the only place where I can get some decent feed back now a days.

Kisrah
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 AM

You're welcome. Hope it helps! :D

The internet sure is a good place to get help, if you know where to look. ^-^ If you ever need good art tutorials, deviantART often has some very good ones. :D

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 AM

Oh most definitely,I adore deviantart so much since it's members have helped me come a long way in my art skills.I really like Kyme-chans and KariNComA's works of art,plus they personally helped me out with my own so i'm pretty grateful to them for taking time out their day to help me.

Nightshade1988
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 AM

Backrounds are a bitch, I won't lie.

I usually like forest-types but I hate drawing individual leaves. >_< So I just stick to portraits.

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 AM

That's how I thought of drawing for a while but it gets a bit boring after a while of just drawing portraits over and over again.So I spiced my way of drawing up by trying different things