CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 AM

This is a thread where those who create or intend to create visual novels and/or dating sims (they aren't always really the same thing) can come and yabber about their projects and comment on the games of others.

People who just play visual novels and dating sims are welcome too! The more the merrier! :D

Share links freely - as long as the otherwise meet Mene rules. (If the content is pirated, don't link. If the content is adult, provide a warning!)

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 AM

Oh, I'm looking forward to this, it should be fascinating!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-06-2014, 04:47 AM

Hopefully so. xD As long as this thread is active, I'll be yabbering about what I'm working on. That'll start sometime in December, albeit slowly. (I'll rez this thread once I have some sort of real progress, at least. But hopefully other hopeful/current game creators will find this thread and join in.)

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 AM

I've never considered writing a visual novel, though I do enjoy them in video game form. :P

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 AM

Well, you have one of the qualifications for hanging out here. xD Devs always like having people who enjoy their genre around to get feedback/responses from. :B

Any particular favorites? (Even games that have VN elements without being pure VN are grand. :B )

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 AM

Dangranronpa is a big favorite of mine, though I've never actually played it. I also like the Ace Attorney games.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-06-2014, 06:25 AM

Yay, visual novels and dating sims!

Would this include life-sim games with visual novel and/or dating elements? Or are life-sims their own genre?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 10:42 PM ----------

From the Hatoful thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
It took me a minute to remember his name: Asano. I picked him because he tended to fall asleep, which was hilarious to me.
Haha, the sleepy ones are so cute/funny. Reminds me of Kaoru (Two Bedroom Story) and Shiki (10 Days with a Devil).

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 AM

It suits me because I am incredibly slothful given to sleepiness myself. I can be in bed and still be like "I want to go to bed."

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 11-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Asano is the teacher, right? I have to say that I liked Yuuya (and Shuu) the most, lol.

And I'm actually working on writing up a script for a VN/dating sim myself.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 PM

I actually bought Hatoful Boyfriend, but I have been distracted by other games I've bought, like Pokemon Art Academy. <:3c

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirona View Post
Dangranronpa is a big favorite of mine, though I've never actually played it. I also like the Ace Attorney games.
Aww - then you couldn't tell me if it's a better idea to try watching the anime first to see if I'll like it enough to play the game. xD (Well, that's more likely to happen anyway, as I don't have the system yet.)

Ace Attorney games are pretty great. xD I consider myself a fan, though I haven't even finished all the cases for the first one. >_> I'd probably need to start all over considering how many years it's been since I last played. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
Would this include life-sim games with visual novel and/or dating elements? Or are life-sims their own genre?
It depends. :'

I mean, The Sims (for example) could be said to have both "dating" elements and "Visual Novel" elements (in that it occasionally lets you make choices that effect the story of your character(s) in the game). But I wouldn't ever really call it either a dating sim or visual novel. xD It's far too open-ended.

That said, I think life sim games are on topic for the thread, since they're closely related enough to be relevant for discussion. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liztress View Post
Ohyeah? What kind of genre?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liztress View Post
Asano is the teacher, right? I have to say that I liked Yuuya (and Shuu) the most, lol.

Oh, we're talking about a phone app. The teacher in HB is Kazuaki.
Wait, Kazuaki fell asleep all the time too! Why didn't I put 2 and 2 together before.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Aww - then you couldn't tell me if it's a better idea to try watching the anime first to see if I'll like it enough to play the game. xD (Well, that's more likely to happen anyway, as I don't have the system yet.)

Ace Attorney games are pretty great. xD I consider myself a fan, though I haven't even finished all the cases for the first one. >_> I'd probably need to start all over considering how many years it's been since I last played. D:

I mean, The Sims (for example) could be said to have both "dating" elements and "Visual Novel" elements (in that it occasionally lets you make choices that effect the story of your character(s) in the game). But I wouldn't ever really call it either a dating sim or visual novel. xD It's far too open-ended.

That said, I think life sim games are on topic for the thread, since they're closely related enough to be relevant for discussion. xD

Ohyeah? What kind of genre?
I'm unsure. All I know is that it's going to be done similar to how Hatoful Boyfriend is done. Or possibly more ambitious, lol. And it's got zombies in it.

Quote:
Wait, Kazuaki fell asleep all the time too! Why didn't I put 2 and 2 together before.
Ah... I got confused. Dx But yeah, that's the teacher's name. (Totally had to look it up.)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 AM

Ah, yeah? :D So sort of a high school romance - with zombies? :o

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-07-2014, 03:26 AM

Sorta. I'll have to PM the premise of it to you in the morning when I get on the computer.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-07-2014, 05:08 AM

No worries. :D Sounds good! (Just noting I might not be logging in tomorrow, so I'll respond when I get it!)

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It suits me because I am incredibly slothful given to sleepiness myself. I can be in bed and still be like "I want to go to bed."
Hahaha, always time to go deeper. XD

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't consider The Sims in this category. I was thinking of some games from Winter Wolves—they do some visual novel/life sim type crossover games, where you have to schedule your regular activities, and then get to play out interactions with the characters you encounter.

Quote:
Aah, yeah! I totally want to pursue the teacher next time I play. First time through, I picked the sullen library pigeon. :3 (Those tsundere boys, sheesh, can't resist.)

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 11-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Mourning doves are so pretty though! add in a library, and I totally understand.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Oh, well, I've watched a playthrough of the game and watched the anime. I would say that the anime is a heavily condensed version of the game. Though, for the sake of posterity, I would read a playthrough, such as this awesome one by Orenronen here: Dangan Ronpa
He played through the original Japanese version and translated it to English. The classroom trial sections begin as text but at the third trial Oren just uploads video parts of the trials. Though, if you want to just watch the anime, that's fine too. :P

I've only played the first Ace Attorney, Apollo Justice, and Dual Destinies, and watched playthroughs of a lot of the other games. :p I wouldn't say you'd need to start over if you remember what happened. :P

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Mourning doves are so pretty though! add in a library, and I totally understand.
That pretty bit of green around his eyes! *swoon* His story was a bummer though, it had a sad ending.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't consider The Sims in this category. I was thinking of some games from Winter Wolves—they do some visual novel/life sim type crossover games, where you have to schedule your regular activities, and then get to play out interactions with the characters you encounter.
I can't remember all the games that Winter Wolves has out. xD I know the Fairbrook series, and I'd consider them a VN for sure. :3 I played the first game and had so much fun with the gardening bit and wasn't really very impressed with the story, so I didn't bother with the second game. >_>;

Quote:
Oh, well, I've watched a playthrough of the game and watched the anime. I would say that the anime is a heavily condensed version of the game. Though, for the sake of posterity, I would read a playthrough, such as this awesome one by Orenronen here: Dangan Ronpa
He played through the original Japanese version and translated it to English. The classroom trial sections begin as text but at the third trial Oren just uploads video parts of the trials. Though, if you want to just watch the anime, that's fine too. :P
Decisions. D: I'm watching Cry play Corpse Party right now and then I'm going to watch Dodger play Always Remember Me, so it'll be a bit before I get to Danganronpa.

Quote:
I wouldn't say you'd need to start over if you remember what happened. :P
I kinda don't. D:

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I can't remember all the games that Winter Wolves has out. xD I know the Fairbrook series, and I'd consider them a VN for sure. :3 I played the first game and had so much fun with the gardening bit and wasn't really very impressed with the story, so I didn't bother with the second game. >_>;
I have mixed feelings about their games; sometimes they're a little grindy and the stories never wowed me, but they're fun anyway.

I just finished my first run through Halloween Otome. It was super cute, I had fun with it. I only got the general ending though. *pout* I'm going to have to play it again so I can find out what Mr. Wolf looks like under that suit. :3

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Oh, you should watch Mogeko castle, CK. It's a horror visual novel. <:3c You don't have to get into Danganronpa right now, it's not going anywhere, I don't think. :P

Eh, oh well. The Ace Attorney games are all somewhat separate from each other, except for most of the main characters being the same.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-08-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, you should watch Mogeko castle, CK. It's a horror visual novel. <:3c You don't have to get into Danganronpa right now, it's not going anywhere, I don't think. :P

Eh, oh well. The Ace Attorney games are all somewhat separate from each other, except for most of the main characters being the same.
I thought that, though it's not really shown or vital to playing any of the entries in the series, the stories in the Ace Attorney series were connected.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-09-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about their games; sometimes they're a little grindy and the stories never wowed me, but they're fun anyway.
Which of their games are your favorite? I'm going to watch Dodger play through "Always Remember Me". As for their other games, "Nichole", "Love and Order", and "Roommates" interest me a little.

Quote:
I just finished my first run through Halloween Otome. It was super cute, I had fun with it. I only got the general ending though. *pout* I'm going to have to play it again so I can find out what Mr. Wolf looks like under that suit. :3
Aw. The General Ending (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is a little sad. xD Mr. Wolf's romance is good! I don't know if I have a favorite romance route, honestly. I like them all. But isn't Mr. Wolf adorable? If I do more fanart for the game, he's about third on my list to draw. (Mr. Bandages was first. Ice Queen would be second. xD)

When you finish the game, don't forget to check out the Halloween Otome "Extras". They have little scenes (not mini games, just in-browser "short stories") from the story for you to watch. They're cute, but not really necessary if you can't be bothered. xD

Quote:
Oh, you should watch Mogeko castle, CK. It's a horror visual novel. <:3c
Uaaaha~ Am I going to be traumatized? xD

And you say "watch" - is it a kinetic novel (no choices) or is it standard VN with choices? :o