Alegretto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Alegretto Send a message via MSN to Alegretto

Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
I am currently reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. In the beginning, it was damned hard for me to really get into it. It seemed too "simple" in a way, and I was just waiting for something to just pop. But now I reached a point in the novel where I can enjoy it. (: Plus, some parts in the reading had French (was it?) words/statements, so I keep thinking "Did I just miss some funny/witty/important message? D:" xD;;
AUUUGH. Lolita is AMAZING. I just finished it last night.

Pink
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward.

I'm only half way through it, but I love it to death. It's my boyfriend's favorite book, and so I wanted to buy it for him...well turns out it's not in print anymore, so I had to search the internet for a used book dealer and finally found it...the cheapest was $40 ><;

Yumi Mei Flower
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via Yahoo to Yumi Mei Flower

Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 PM

TLhe world is flat. It's a really great book!

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM

Currently reading: The Kitchen God's Wife

Also, re-reading the entire Harry Potter series..it's amazing how much details you miss out on the first time.

Tatiana Celeste
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Im currently reading The Confusion which is the second book in Neal Stephensons Baroque cycle. Its amazing.

Im also reading Lamb: The gospel according to Biff

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 AM

I'm almost done with The Princess Bride. It's a wonderful book, but I was slightly irked to learn that I had bought the abridged version. >_< I suppose it's alright, as it is called the "good parts" version. So I'm supposing that the things cut out aren't all that vital, but I still want the full version of the book. ._.

Tatiana Celeste
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 AM

Oh I loved reading the Princess Bride, that quite a good book

Victor Von Doom
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 03-26-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrien
I'm almost done with The Princess Bride. It's a wonderful book, but I was slightly irked to learn that I had bought the abridged version. >_< I suppose it's alright, as it is called the "good parts" version. So I'm supposing that the things cut out aren't all that vital, but I still want the full version of the book. ._.
Okay. Sweetheart, I don't want to be the one to have to tell you this, but here it is:

The IS no S. Morgenstern. The Good Parts version is the ONLY one that existed, ever. It's all part of the atmosphere of the book, the story outside the story, or the story ABOUT the story, if you will. It's part of its charm.

(from Wikipedia, but believe me, I researched into this YEARS before Wikipedia was around. This is true) "Simon Morgenstern is both a pseudonym and a narrative device invented by Goldman to add another layer to his novel The Princess Bride. He presents his novel as being an abridged version of a work by the fictional Morgenstern, an author from the equally fictional country of Florin.

The details of Goldman's life given in the introduction and commentary for The Princess Bride are also largely fictional. For instance, he says that his wife is a psychologist and that he was inspired to abridge Morgenstern's The Princess Bride for his only child, a son. (The Princess Bride actually originated as a bedtime story for Goldman's two daughters.) He not only treats Morgenstern and the country of Florin as real, but even claims that his own father was Florinese and had immigrated to America.

At one point in The Princess Bride, Goldman's commentary indicates that he had wanted to add a passage elaborating a scene skipped over by Morgenstern. He explains that his editors would not allow him to take such liberties with the "original" text, and encourages readers to write to his publisher to request a copy of this scene. Both the original publisher and its successor have responded to such requests with letters describing their supposed legal problems with the Morgenstern estate.

Goldman also wrote The Silent Gondoliers under the Morgenstern name. In short there is no S. Morgenstern."

Don't feel bad. 9/10 Princess Bride fans fall for this. Just shows how wonderful of a writer Goldman was.

Airuin
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Currently reading.... too many books to post, really, but the fictional one among them which is capturing my interest most at the moment is The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory.

fawN
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 PM

I'm currently halfway through 2 books:

Eldest - Christopher Paolini
Three Fates - Nora Roberts

The Nora Roberts one I'm reading for a book club I recently joined, and everybody's reading/discussing it in March, and once that's through, hopefully I'll have time to get back into Eldest again and not forget what all happened!

After these, I plan to re-read Potter in The Half Blood Prince.

fawN
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplixity

Also, re-reading the entire Harry Potter series..it's amazing how much details you miss out on the first time.
I may borrow The Kitchen God's Wife from my mom once she's done with it. I've heard her talk about parts as she and my dad read to each other aloud before bed (how sweet!)

And I agree about the HP series! Plus, they're great re-reads even when you know the story already!

sapphireaster
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 PM

[.A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. So far, really good. I recommend it..]

sapphireaster
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
I am currently reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. In the beginning, it was damned hard for me to really get into it. It seemed too "simple" in a way, and I was just waiting for something to just pop. But now I reached a point in the novel where I can enjoy it. (: Plus, some parts in the reading had French (was it?) words/statements, so I keep thinking "Did I just miss some funny/witty/important message? D:" xD;;
AUUUGH. Lolita is AMAZING. I just finished it last night.
[.Lolita is in my mental book list. I'm glad that it is a good book. I shall go to the library to check it out :P .]

Criminal Kiss
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Criminal Kiss

Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM

"Sex and The City" by Candace Bushnell.

I loved the series so much I decided to pick up the book. It's...alright so far. A little jumbled because it's just her columns, but interesting nonetheless.

Lennifer
*^_^*

Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM

• Dracula By Bram Stoker.

I've read it before, but i'm reading it again because I forgot a lot of it x) And The Tower on the Rift by Ian Irvine. :3

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplixity

I may borrow The Kitchen God's Wife from my mom once she's done with it. I've heard her talk about parts as she and my dad read to each other aloud before bed (how sweet!)

And I agree about the HP series! Plus, they're great re-reads even when you know the story already!
Well, when I posted that reply I was on page 30, but now I'm on 300 something, so big improvement. =]

I would recommend this book, but I personally felt some parts of the book was too "strong." I know that the book is fiction, but it sickens me to even read about a person's horrible life. And in this story, Winnie's life is more than horrible...so be prepared.

Duskalts
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM

America: The Book by Jon Stewart.

Er, re-reading it. :'3 Really great.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Triss by Brian Jacques

I'm rereading it cause I don't remember what happens in the story. But I'm starting to remember...

fishnet
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskalts
America: The Book by Jon Stewart.

Er, re-reading it. :'3 Really great.
I really need to get my hands on that.

Emma by Jane Austen right now. Nearly finished!

Aloro
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-30-2007, 11:18 PM

I was reading Eldest the sequel to Eragon but I got lost in school work that I haven't picked it up in while. I will finish it whenever I stop getting a lot of school work =]

Mnyonywaji
*^_^*

Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 AM

hm. I borrowed "Norse Mythology:The tales about cold North Gods" (It's polish, book, so the translation of the polish title sucks ^^)
But I haven't much time to read more than a few pages, so I an't comment on it....

Zye
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Zye Send a message via MSN to Zye

Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 PM

I'm reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope, and... I don't think that this counts but it's The Complete Book of Massage because I'm learning how to massage, but I'm not exactly "reading" it because I'm following the pictures and the directions.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-01-2007, 01:19 AM

i'm currently reading "Why do Men Fall Asleep After Sex?" it's a book with all kinds of weird questions.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 AM

I just finished "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Oh my gosh - best book I've read in a LONG time. I had tears streaming down my face the other night as I was finishing it up and it's been a long time since a book had that effect on me. It focused on the life of a German girl in Nazi Germany and was narrated so tenderly by Death. I know that sounds odd, but it was just so beautifully written.

I'm not reading "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. It was on the "New Book" shelf and looked pretty interesting!

Cindy bear
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 04-02-2007, 04:33 AM

I'm currently reading "The truth about forever" by Sarah Dessen. It is good so far ^^