noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Just wanted to share an annoyance that happened to me a couple of months ago, related to crafting.

In my effort to find crafty goings-on in my new town I found an advert on Gumtree about a "community craft morning" being held in a coffee shop not too far for me to get to. The activity of the morning was felting/felt flower making, all materials provided, come along and have a chat with people and have a go at making summat under the experienced guide of the crafter who organised the thing, etc etc. NO WHERE in the post was a mention of it costing anything...

Well, I got to the coffee shop, joined the lone organiser (there were no other takers) and started to make a felt Pug face patch with the materials and had a chat with her... Well after about half an hour/40 mins, which was the duration of the thing, she promptly packed up asked me for the £12. Excuse me?!

Now I have been known to be rather feather-brained so although I was *pretty* sure I had read all of the advert properly, I thought that there may have been some *slight* chance that I had indeed missed the bit on the ad with the cost mentioned. So, like the meek mug that I am, paid the £12 and bid goodbye. "I hope to see you at the next craft morning!" ...Yeah, sure, lady...

When I got home I promptly turned on my PC to double check the advert and lo and behold I should've trust my gut at the shop, there was NO mention of any cost. I should've just politely refused to have paid. That £12 haunts this cheapskate in her dreams...

Since then, I have, by looking up crafty goings on once again, come across another advert in my local paper by the same woman and I know it is her because the coffee shop and the time of the meet is exactly the same, and - wait a minute - there's no price mentioned on the ad.... Interesting...

I hope you enjoyed my sarcastic little "story." XD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

That's terrible, I'd be soo pissed off about that if that happened to me, especially with that style of writing used for the ad, very misleading, especially since it was not a small amount either...

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 AM

I'd print off the ad, fold it neatly in my pocket, go back and (before starting anything) ask how much it costs. If she gave a price I'd whip out the paper and get aaaall up in her business, like, "THEN ADVERTIZE IT, BEETCH." Because no one sits with me like a friend then expects money like that. Uh-uh.

Horrorsaurus
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM

That's so awful. :( Especially as she was advertising it as a community event - it gives the third sector a bad name.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM

A mean, greedy, sneaky, devillish old lady she is! So evil of her! But then again, she can't be living with this business for so long - eventually all people who fall into her trap would start going away from her and that would be the end of the old lady

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 AM

I'm not familiar with Gumtree and how it goes down, but you might consider reporting her to them? I doubt they want that sort of misleading advertising.