I-Jojo
Want some Kawaii dust?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Heya everyone, I just got a sewing machine. And I figured out how to work it. And I can't wait to start sewing stuff... But the problem is that I don't know what to start on. I've always wanted to make pokedolls but something it kind of stopping me. I have no idea what I should do. I also had an idea to make a kigurumi but I would like to look up some tutorials before I start working on that. Do you guys have any ideas of what I should do?

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 AM

When I first started with my sewing machine, I made a door hanging decoration (I over stuffed it so it became a dog bed >.>). A kigurumi may not be a bad idea as it's large and does require detail stitching (second thing I worked on was a cape).

A big thing is to be patient and not get frustrated; stitches can be undone and things can be started over. I can't even say how many times I jammed things or had to test different settings for different materials...

I know this time around I'll probably keep a notebook nearby to take notes on things that worked for me.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM

When I was younger my mom had a sewing machine and I used to try to make clothes for my dolls. It was an interesting experience that more often than not ended in failure. A super easy project to start with is to make pillow throws. Making simple bags isn't too hard either. Really I would just suggest experimenting and looking online for different patterns and ideas. I'm sure you could also find some books at the library or magazines in stores as well.

BrookeHaven

Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM

It's taken me years to learn this, but always start with small, easy projects when using a new machine. It helps you learn the feel of it, the stride and speed you're most comfortable with it at. When setting up a new machine, I always start by making a big ole pillow. One of those long body pillows, usually in a substantial and easy fabric. Then I make some small pattern weights. The pillow is big enough that I can discover any "ghost in the machine quirks" and the pattern weights help me get the feel of curving with the machine. EVERY machine takes a curve differently, and there's not a lot of fiddling that can make it easier if your machine doesn't curve well. Some are good about curves, some you just have to force through full speed ahead.
I think making a plushie, if it's not too small or detailed, would be good starter fodder for learning the kick to your sewing machine.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 PM

i enjoyed turning an embroidered or cross stitched piece into a pillow