View Poll Results: Are video games art?
Yes they are. 4 66.67%
No they aren't. 0 0%
It depends on the game. 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

FuzzyLumpkin
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 PM

I was just curious as to how other people view their video games. Do you see them as a form of art, or simply a form of entertainment?

As a student of concept art and a basic programmer I can certainly say I view them as art, but what do you think?

I'm curious to hear other people's views on this. :)

Arkkath
Broseidon, King of the Broceans
Send a message via MSN to Arkkath

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Absolutely. I'm a graphic designer and a gamer. Every game can be considered art in it's own way, some games more than others. Every game has it's own art style that makes it unique from other ones.
Let's take Legend of Zelda Wind Waker for example. It has a cartoony, cel shaded art style that I very much like. The game seems kiddish on the outside, but the child-like graphics actually hide a somewhat dark story.
Another example is the game Okami. It has an amazing art style too.

FuzzyLumpkin
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM

I think that having experience in an area based on design like Graphics helps people appreciate it more. It's the same with me.

And I agree with each game being art in it's own way. I think Murumasa's artistic direction is some of the most beautiful I've seen - it's like playing a painting, and like Wind Waker it's cartoony graphics hide a deep story.

Arkkath

Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Ooo that's really cool. I've never heard of that game, but just from the picture, I really like the style.

And definitely agreed about having an artistic background. It for sure helps to appreciate the different styles and whatnot.

BurningCrusade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM

It's definetly becoming an Art Form.

Games like Mirror's Edge, Killer 7, Wet, even simple games like Kirby's Epic Yarn..

Some games are definetly taking an artistic direction.

Arkkath

Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

OMG Kirby's Epic Yarn
That game is so happy it hurts.
I want to be best friends with it

Fable
OH LEO~

Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM

I think it's both. :drool:

An art form because of the designers, and entertainment for the players. Games inspire some people too. Like I know playing L4D2 always makes me want to draw. xDD (lol) But I imagine it would be tons of fun for the one designing characters and all that for a game. I always thought that would be an awesome job. > u < <333

BurningCrusade
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkkath View Post
OMG Kirby's Epic Yarn
That game is so happy it hurts.
I want to be best friends with it
I don't think I got angry even once playing that game XD which is a change.

It just made me feel really happy and calm D: it took me to my happy place lol.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm of the same opinion. Game worlds can be so beautiful that I get drawn into the story by how well done the characters are. At the same time, as someone who plays for story only, bad graphics, or even a little annoying thing in a game (like oversized hands and feet) can really bug me. But yeah, definitely an art form, even if I don't always appreciate it.

FuzzyLumpkin
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzeebear View Post
. . . even a little annoying thing in a game (like oversized hands and feet)
I'm suddenly thinking of Dragon Age: Origins. The first thing I noticed on the character models was the hands and often tiny eyes.

Little thing like that do bother me a bit at first, but I can survive with them after the first hour or so. :XD