OrphanWhite
Class-A smart mouth.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:36 AM

So as of about a week ago, I started watching anime.
I never really took an interest because maybe I wasn't watching the right genre for me?
But when chatting with one of my friends, he mentioned a few different ones that were available to watch on Netflix.

Those include Deadman Wonderland (which I love and have "finished"), Sword Art Online (which I just started), and Psycho-pass.

Are there any you would recommend to a brand new anime watcher/reader?

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 12-26-2014, 06:27 AM

Ouran High School Host Club is definitely one of the best animes out there, so I would get into it. I've watched through it about... 3 times. It's got a very faithful english dub, so if you'd rather watch a dub, you've got the option!

Sailor Moon Crystal is good, though I haven't been keeping up.

I just finished watching Princess Jellyfish, which is a little similar to Ouran High School Host Club. It's also got a very faithful english dub!

FLCL is another great anime, but the story is a little hard to follow. Very good English dub.

Oh, oh! Puella Magi Madoka Magica was very good, and the story is excellent. The series was remade into three movies; the first two movies are literally the anime series with better art assets, so I would just skip over watching the actual series. The third movie is new content!

Final recommendation is Kill la Kill; one of my favorites! I've not watched the English dub, but I heard it's very good. There wasn't an English dub when I watched it. :P

Last edited by Elirona; 12-26-2014 at 06:30 AM..

knittingandsarcasm
Champion of Kirkwall

Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 AM

I second the recommendation for Ouran Host Club! The english dub is superb and the entire series breaks the fourth wall by basically picking apart its own genre. It's super funny and lighthearted. :)

I'd REALLY recommend watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It is considered one of the best mangas/animes ever, and it's usually among people's favorites. (There's also a series that's called 'Fullmetal Alchemist', which came out first but is less faithful to the original story. 'Brotherhood' follows the manga almost exactly). Be warned: the storyline is sad and angsty and you'll get all the feels, but honestly, isn't that the best?

Another similar (and popular) anime is Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin). There's only one season, and the english dub isn't on Netflix yet (although it exists!), but the english sub version is there and you can breeze through the twenty-something episodes in a couple days. Or a day, if you get super duper into it. Also the intro songs are super catchy and you'll be shouting in German and Japanese and it's glorious. WARNING: this show will also give you major feels. Also hope you aren't squeamish because it's about giant monsters eating people and other people slaying the giant monsters.

Noragami is a beautiful show I finished yesterday that I'm beginning a rewatch of tomorrow. It might seem a bit cheesy at first but it's actually really culturally/historically interesting even though it's basically a comedy/action genre anime? I dunno how to classify things. Just watch it.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 12-27-2014, 03:39 AM

I don't know whether this is just me, but I usually prefer reading manga over anime. The animes that were already suggested in the thread are really good starter animes, they all have an easy plot to follow and they have a lot of fans that you can relate to :3

I don't know about your particular tastes when it comes to manga and anime, but when I first started out, I started to read a lot of Naruto (the first arc). The story is easy to follow, and the characters are deep enough to give you the feels. Now that the series is over, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to finish the series than it was for me. The only setback to the manga/anime is that there are flashback. A LOT of flashbacks. If you have to have refreshers of the plot, then I guess it would be okay, but most of the time, the manga uses the flashbacks to introduce new concepts and characters that weren't really mentioned or never mentioned at all.

V.B Rose is a fluffy Shojou manga that I really enjoy as well. The plot is somewhat predictable, but the characters are quirky and funny and it's really nice to read. I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for character depth and plot twists, though. This is your average fluffy, everything-is-happy-except-for-the-overdramatic-situation-type of manga. Its the type of manga that I would recommend to read over a break; its a really easy read.

Rurouni Kenshin is a manga and anime that is an all-time favorite of mine. It's a historical/comedy anime that is set in the Meiji Restoration era of Japan. The main character and supporting characters are really deep, and although they are funny, they point out a lot of flaws in the Japanese society at that time, and it was really fun to read. There were also hints of angst as well, so I really liked it a lot.

I hope that wasn't too many of them for you. These are some of my favorites that I really like and I wanted to share^^

OrphanWhite
Class-A smart mouth.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:12 AM

Wow, thank you everyone! It's very nice to have multiple opinions :D I appreciate it very much.

aliceinwonderland99
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 AM

OMG I thirdly highly suggest Ouran High School Host Club, I love it and its freaking amazing. I love both the anime and manga series. All the characters are equally loveable and the English cast is okay for the series but I do suggest to watch it in Japanese.

I also am okay With Sailor Moon Crystal but the old school Sailor Moon is just as awesome, just if you do watch the old Sailor Moon I suggest the Japanese cast, the new cast they have are not the greatest (nor was the old one but it was okay for being 90's)

Also, I really love old anime its what I grew up on. So if you have a second, watch Visions of Escaflowne it is my all time favorite and its freaking amazing! Right amount of action, sci-fi, romance, adventure and drama all mixed into one.

SilentlyAwesome
ze awesome Prussia!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 AM

Admin;
Hey!
Here are my suggestions:
Hetalia is a fun anime (( originally a manga! )) that personifies the countries during the WWII period. Except, it doesn't really focus on the war itself very much. I mean, sure, it does some, but not all of it. It's mostly about the relationships between certain countries, such as America and England/UK/Britain. It's also very upbeat.
Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is an emotional rollercoaster, basically. It's about people trying to survive an attack from a terrifying race of gigantic humanoids known as the Titans. It revolves around Eren Jaeger as he trains to fight the Titans. It's an amazing anime!
Death Note is another emotional rollercoaster where you're rooting for the presumed `bad guy.` Though he's not a bad guy at heart. It revolves around Light Yagami, a boy who finds a book called a Death Note. From then on, it's just crazy. Still, it's an amazing (( though sadly short )) anime.
Well, anyway, that's what I suggest. <3

AuraBarnes
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2015, 04:09 AM

While everyone is suggestion Ouran High School Host Club, I suggest Fruits Basket as well. This came out before OHSHC, is about a family cursed to turn into animals if hugged by the opposite sex, and has almost equal parts seriousness and comedy which blend extremely well.

Perhaps also The Wallflower (English name, cant remember the Japanese right now)