Miakoda
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via ICQ to Miakoda Send a message via AIM to Miakoda Send a message via MSN to Miakoda Send a message via Yahoo to Miakoda

Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Okay i don't get it why are almost all rps private does no one like meeting new people. Its basically like "okay i can prdict what you'll do so i can twiist the story around me" or its like "we'll someone might say something i don't like."

"we'll my friend won't do that. Hey come rp with me it'll be just you and me and all your free time will be sent with me and no one else. I now control your life."

hey sorry if i offend anyone by doing this i just can't sleep and needed something to do and well this is what i felt like doing. Please do not take offense. Okay back to ranting.

But even with normal rps where anyone can join in or so they say they have a limit or restrictions. "sorry we can only have this many people and we are over that limit already so you will have to go elsewhere." or "you need to pm me your profile." then you look at the profile and say well this is alright. okay okay What the Hell is that. This person has better powers then i do. well thats not right so well you can't join."

Or you play the game like the grinch with his blackmail and jury duty. but instead of that its accepted or rejected.

what is this russian roulette come on were all supposed to have fun on here. Stop being scared and meet new people. it is unlikely that the people on here will track you down to find out who you really are because you offended them.

Lets face it most of the people on here are lazy. Myself included in this statement. Or most are kids looking to just alkk. thats what this ste is here for to talk meet new people who you will never see in person but to be friends.

Its just like any other site. So please lets have fun and join a random rp and talk to people other than your friends that you go to school with. Thanks. And again i am not trying to offend anyone. i just cannot sleep and needed to ramble. Feel free to reply.

Demure
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM

I can think of a pretty good reason for private rps

The people included are your friends who are in the same timezone with you and are often on when you are. This allows for the rp to move along smoothly and quickly.

Other advantages include plot development, relationship development (between the two characters) or character development.

A reason I'd like to have a private RP with one of my friends is because it'll give me a chance to better get a grasp of the new oc I just made for a manga. Why that particular friend? Because his oc is the other main character of the manga. xD

Putting manga reasons asides, I love how he roleplays, he is also the type of roleplayer that adds substance to the roleplay instead of being just a "response" roleplayer.

As for the profiles, I have no idea really xD I'd guess its just to give everyone a better overview of the characters involved. I'm not sure about the part where some profiles need to go through approval.

*shurg shurg*

A rant replied with a rant! 8D

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via ICQ to Miakoda Send a message via AIM to Miakoda Send a message via MSN to Miakoda Send a message via Yahoo to Miakoda

Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Yay i'm glad someone slightly understands my rant and has their own input. After all thats what a rant needs another rant to rant to. Okay then whats with the private rps saying you can't join but we would love you to read it and give feed back. to me that just says hahahaha look at us were ring about something you would like to do. its saying you can look but you can't touch. And if you do comment about their rp you get one of two answers. One if they don't like your comment they ignore you. Two if they do like you comment they'll tell you thank you and to pm them about it next time. basically they don't want you cluttering their space with your crap. Are we not good enough for that to take up one post for maybe five pages of your posts. GEEZ

Demure
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM

think of it as reading a story..? XD

Short post x.x

*has to go to sleep now*

I just wasted two hours of my life on a movie that was crap >_>

Hatch
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM

I'm in a few Private Rps, but I can understand where you're coming from, however I don't get the whole "meeting new people thing" I don't know any of the people that I'm Rping with but I do know that they would make for interesting people for other Rps. Like if I'm in a private with, I dunno let's haul in Fizali, if I'm in a private Rp with her, then I'm probably going to see where else she is and maybe find an open Rp that I like. I lurk so I can't really defend or attack the Private Rps that I read XP but I also think that they give others a chance to start roleplays without getting too complicated and cluttered with too much action. then it gives the newb( for lack of a better term) a chance to find their Rp style and see how others go about their own posts.

Mad Hatter
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Setting limitations on an RP keeps the integrity of the story intact. If you have a vampire against human role play and everyone signed up as vampires it wouldn’t be a very fun story. By placing limitations you also set the standard for the quality of posts you are looking for.

Having people PM their application to the owner of the RP for approval is also quality control. By reviewing a character sheet you can make sure no one is violating the rules or making their character too powerful. You can also check how “literate” a person is by the character sheet they submit. Some RPs require more advanced writing skills, so filling out the character sheet is almost like a test. I don’t speak for other folk, but when I write a 2-3 paragraph post it irritates me when someone responds with only three sentences.

Saying that we’re all lazy is grossly generalizing. I am not lazy at all most people I know are not lazy. Its not fear that keeps me from joining the roleplays with little kiddies that only post small half-assed sentences. I want to make friends, but I want to make friends that I can stand roleplaying with. A person that writes like this: “a GuRl wakls into a bar and says “hi hhow r u?” is not someone I want to play with. So I believe we are here to make friends, just friends with similar writing skill.

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Okay i agree with half-assed sentences but i do them sometimes when i can't think of anything to write and i would like to continue with rp. But as for the lazy comment that was pertaining to that people were too lazt to come and find you in person because you offend them on a board or something. Not that everyone is lazy about posting or working. Its just about no one really wants to spend that much time and effort over something incredibly small like an offensive post.

I also agree with the limitations on rps if it is something like humans vs vampires. But if someone would like to rp in that forum and theres to many of one type the person pmed to can make the sujestion of changing to the other race. if the person wants to rp in that category. then the person has a choice. But i myself have been rejected from rps because something was too full on one side. but the person i pmed did not tell me that they just said rejected. Also from my example fromm earlier, sometimes the creators want to be the center of attention and so anyone that can over power them gets rejected. it makes for a very one sided rp.

Sinspiration
Demon Overlord
Send a message via AIM to Sinspiration Send a message via MSN to Sinspiration Send a message via Yahoo to Sinspiration

Old 07-05-2007, 05:55 PM

I frankly don’t like to RP with too many people because the situations become confusing and I get lost because I’m not a very fast person and I can get easily confused, as for approving applications I frankly don’t want to have a whole bunch of RPers who are actually literate and write decent lengths then suddenly either:

A: An MSN message worth application shows up [If it can all be fitted in an MSN window, it's very very sad]
B: I get given an entire bloody novel [Sometimes equal to the accumulated work of everyone else]

I can be viewed as slightly elitist but I’m not afraid, I just don’t want the hassle, n00bish RPers are horrid to RP with because they miss nearly everything you do or say and sometimes make something up out of nowhere, leaving al my decent players completely confused or annoyed.

As for Novelists: You write too much. That’s all there is too it. We don’t want to spend 5 minutes at least per post then suddenly have to spend half an hour re-reading an entire mini story every time you post. It’s senseless and a bit cruel to people who may not work as fast or as much as you may.

The only people I can stand are the 'real' literates and 'Newbs' because the real literates keep things on a decent balance and write well, as for newbs, they know what they're doing they just need a little practice and help (Which n00bs don’t seem to understand). Newbs are people who actually put the effort in and try to learn what people teach them and I respect them dearly for that.

n00bs can burn, nuff zed. They dont even take time to spell check.

As for private RPs, in my case they're brought on by sudden fits of inspiration or when I and a friend or two are bored and we just want to randomly RP something we used to or make something new to toy with for fun.

Edit: Incidentally, I joined one RP on here, and because of that one RP I managed to gain all of the people in there as friends, so I don’t have any trouble making friends with new people since they're all good.

SEG
*^_^*

Old 07-05-2007, 06:13 PM

xD
Dude, how much longer did you freaking stay up?
I'm dieing right now!

ANYWAY,
I love, love, love rping with a buttload of people,
I love the chaos,
And, the crazy-random fun that tends to pop up.

The drawback with mass RPs,
Is I often join them when it's, like, 10 pages in,
And, I refuse to post until I've read all 10 pages,
Because I want to be pretty familiar with the rp before I make any hasty decisions and actions,
Which you know some of my characters are prone to.

Also,
I HATE the way some people RP.
As mean as it sounds,
I really do,
So, that's where a nice private RP is, well, nice.
You can choose who you want to RP with,
So you can find a person's writing style that works well with yours,
And, as others have said,
Develop the plot at a much faster pace.

Unless you RP with SEG,
Who is laaazeh.
Take Raf && Seph for example,
That is private because it's RAF && SEPH!
We started that way before Mene,
And we want to continue it.
Honestly,
Who wants to read through my crazy tangents about the desert?
AND, then post?
We've already developed the plot,
And characters quite a bit,
It was meant to be private.

I don't really take it as a taunt,
By the way,
'Cause I just don't read RPs that have Private in the title.:]

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 PM

I told you i haven't slept no sleep here and i'm wide awake. anyway raf and seph didn't have to be posted here you just choose that. As for the go see a doctor you just did that to be you didn't you. Anyway chaos is fun. if you know how to follow what happens but you always end up in a new situation with more people. And SEG is lazy sorry guys it takes her forever to post

Sinspiration
Demon Overlord
Send a message via AIM to Sinspiration Send a message via MSN to Sinspiration Send a message via Yahoo to Sinspiration

Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda
I told you i haven't slept no sleep here and i'm wide awake. anyway raf and seph didn't have to be posted here you just choose that. As for the go see a doctor you just did that to be you didn't you. Anyway chaos is fun. if you know how to follow what happens but you always end up in a new situation with more people. And SEG is lazy sorry guys it takes her forever to post
LoL I chose go see a doctor cuz im a meany x3 im not serious about it, but it's always good to check up on your health anyway! xD

SEG
*^_^*

Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM

YOU SAY THAT LIKE IT'S A BAD THING.D:<
I let my ideas simmer, damnit!
See, I start posting,
And, then someone posts before I actually finish my idea,
So, then I have to revamp.
Lots of edits go on prior to SEG posts.

Well, Raf && Seph,
Would work out better on Mene,
Than stupid Gaia,
'Cause Mene is A BAJILLION times smaller,
And, people aren't going to butt in just to be an ass.
I thought that posting it would be good,
Because I'm more apt to answer an RP,
Than as stupid email.
God I hate answering emails.

Private RPs definately have their place && purpose,
And, I'm all for them.;3
I'm not really interested in interweb friends.o:

-EDIT-
And, yes,
I chose the doctor,
'Cause,
A] I had a buttload of fun at the doctor's last week,
AND,
B] Yes, I was being SEG-ly.;]
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2007, 06:35 PM

1. I hate doctors
2. SEG will not be manly for long
3. i probably should go to the doctor cause i haven't seen one since i became vegitarian

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM

*hangs head* I'm a novelist. I know it. I write alot...but in my own defense, I tend to try to really think out what I am going to write and how my character would react in any given situation. Sometimes it is hard for me to convey a thought in less than two paragraphs. One or two lines, probably not ever going to happen from me.

I also make a lot of mistakes. Believe it or not I had never roleplayed until I came here. Someone who joined when I did drug me kicking and screaming and now I love it. I am not one who gets offended by people offering constructive criticism, unless it is from someone who obviously can't write a lick and there is only one person that comes to mind who I have encountered here.

Private RP's for me... eh...it's like a teaser but at the same time I understand them. I just think there should be a separate forum, as Flink had pointed out in the suggestion thread.

Sinspiration
Demon Overlord

Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurupamae
*hangs head* I'm a novelist. I know it. I write alot...but in my own defense, I tend to try to really think out what I am going to write and how my character would react in any given situation. Sometimes it is hard for me to convey a thought in less than two paragraphs. One or two lines, probably not ever going to happen from me.

I also make a lot of mistakes. Believe it or not I had never roleplayed until I came here. Someone who joined when I did drug me kicking and screaming and now I love it. I am not one who gets offended by people offering constructive criticism, unless it is from someone who obviously can't write a lick and there is only one person that comes to mind who I have encountered here.

Private RP's for me... eh...it's like a teaser but at the same time I understand them. I just think there should be a separate forum, as Flink had pointed out in the suggestion thread.
You dont count <.<... Cuz like... You give consideration and stuff >.>... I just think over-extensive writing is a bit pointless, because sometimes people drag on and on about one thing in particular for a paragraph and like,
"Okay... Riiight.. Alright alright!! We get it! Explain something else now please!! We realize you have a thousand ways of saying you're feeling sad but reserve them for later, where's the good stuff?!" (Half an hour later) "NOW we get to see some ac-*stares at next ten-twenty paragraphs* .... Shoot me now... Please... Just... A little squeeze..." xD

RovingMercenary
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to RovingMercenary Send a message via MSN to RovingMercenary Send a message via Yahoo to RovingMercenary

Old 07-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Setting limitations on an RP keeps the integrity of the story intact. If you have a vampire against human role play and everyone signed up as vampires it wouldn’t be a very fun story. By placing limitations you also set the standard for the quality of posts you are looking for.

Having people PM their application to the owner of the RP for approval is also quality control. By reviewing a character sheet you can make sure no one is violating the rules or making their character too powerful. You can also check how “literate” a person is by the character sheet they submit. Some RPs require more advanced writing skills, so filling out the character sheet is almost like a test. I don’t speak for other folk, but when I write a 2-3 paragraph post it irritates me when someone responds with only three sentences.

Saying that we’re all lazy is grossly generalizing. I am not lazy at all most people I know are not lazy. Its not fear that keeps me from joining the roleplays with little kiddies that only post small half-assed sentences. I want to make friends, but I want to make friends that I can stand roleplaying with. A person that writes like this: “a GuRl wakls into a bar and says “hi hhow r u?” is not someone I want to play with. So I believe we are here to make friends, just friends with similar writing skill.
Hatter FTW.

See, this is how I think an RP should go. Whenever I run one, I always ask for a bio. Why? So I can see how good of an RPer the applicant is, and test if they actually know the proper components of a sentence. XD

As for the limitations, sure you can have an RP without limits, and it'd be fine. For an experiment. But most RPs are in a specific time period/place/situation, and you have limits on anything from technology to species to powers to body count. My opinion on those? They're good. Any good RP works within limits and rules- otherwise it turns into anarchy.

The only thing I have to say about Private RPs is that there are too many, and they need their own forum. But that's been stated already. Also there are too many of a specific kind of RP; let's take school RPs for an example. Do people not have imagination anymore? Srsly.

xx_adverb_xx
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to xx_adverb_xx Send a message via AIM to xx_adverb_xx

Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM

First off I suggest making a comment here at the Private RP Subforum site suggestion thread to at least try and help get a subforum for private RPs to not clutter up the RP forum of public RPs. A good deal of what you've gotten at and has been talked about here has already been brought up there.

Eh, I wanted to write more but I'm feeling tired and so will leave it at that for now.

Donut
Looking for a place to call home
Send a message via AIM to Donut Send a message via Yahoo to Donut

Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 AM

Ok,Ii just thought to add to this too. I might not be one of the best people , when it comes to grammar and spelling, but I have a good time in the RP's. My posts might be short, but when I get into a part that I thought about for a while, my posts get bigger. So that doesn't really matter there either. Everyone is different. And they RP their own way, so if they want to do it privet, I would say let them, thats what I do, so why can't anyone else?
Besides you RP the way you want, and let other people do it their way too.

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 07-07-2007, 04:13 AM

It doesn't bother me and the rpg I have going is good so far. I might end up starting a private one with someone willing. I prefer creating interesting RPGs and see who would join. If it dies then I just create a new one. My elf based RPG is doing well and I happy. Only three of us and I think it works well then say having ten.

I think Private Rps should defiently have their own forums but if not I am cool with it. As long as good rpers are out there.

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Woot contreversy (sp?) Sorry i'm excited that people actually posted in this when it was the spur of a random moment when i needed something to do. So yay for the people who responded. Even though this is not a OCC to an acyual rp. Now please continue as i have fun reading input.

Flink
FRINKZIRRA
Send a message via AIM to Flink Send a message via MSN to Flink Send a message via Yahoo to Flink

Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM

You should visit Flink's post in the Site Feedback section and add your plea to the ones asking for a seperate forum for Private RPs. There's way too many of them. A seperate place for them is dearly needed.

Miakoda
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Far too true okay who volunteers