The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Hello M i n u x e, I remember you as well, though not sure if we spoke.

I do believe it was 3.5 edition but I'm not entirely sure. It was whatever edition she had the books for.

As for the rerolls, I believe we were rerolling the 1s that we got but it's been so long since I made my char I can't remember.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i n u x e View Post
Now that I see your title under your username I recognize your name too, Shadami. I love seeing familiar faces around Mene because I (incorrectly) thought that after a few years of inactivity the people I remembered moved on.
Ok I think the flexibility in this RP is great for me, especially since you aren't expecting us all to be online at certain times in the week.
The only thing I am unclear about is what you meant when you said
I will go ahead and start filling out that character sheet in the next few days. I will use a guide that people made. Is it ok to use a DnD 5e cleric guide or are you guys following a different edition?
If this is my first time do I have to say my character is level 1?
Lastly, if you happen to know off the top of your head... What sort of builds are the other players making? I looked at the character sheet thread so I know Poet's character, but Bearzy didn't post anything yet.
I'm asking because I don't want my skills and feats to do things too similar to other people's so we have more variety in the team which I assume is better. I am pretty sure that bards have skills that let them do magical things like buff players, so I wonder if Bearzy said what those skills are and you remember.
If there isn't any information on Bearzy's characters yet then that is no problem.

Wow I don't have kids myself so I can't truly imagine your schedule except to think that you must really value Mene if you choose to spend what little personal time you have on here.
Cool to hear that you guys moved to a new place, can I assume it was because you needed more space? I hate how after you move you lose countless little things ><
How has it been in your new place so far? Do you like your neighbors?
I'm using 3.5 edition. I put a link somewhere to the players handbook. though i can't remember which thread i posted it in. silly me.
If you roll a d5 its level 3-7 for characters. So the roll will determine what level you actually start as. I believe Poet's the only one who has actually finished picking the feats and such.

I'm having a slight hard time typing at the moment cause one of the forementioned kids is sitting in my lap making it indcredibly difficult to type. she's half my size already and she's FOUR. well not in weight. But height. xDmaybe she's just a quarter my size but it still seems like she is getting to big to fast.

A cleric would be awesome! I don't think we have one? I think Kat was going to play one but than backed out cause she got to busy. Not that i haven't. but she's never played before so i understand why it seemed to intimidating a task to pick up when busy.

We moved because of multiple reasons. First and foremost was that we just couldn't live without my husband for any longer. One year apart is to long, especially when its nearly half the life of our youngest :[

Bearzy: did you have any skills/feats in mind. I feel like we skimmed it at some point. but still getting my brain reorganized after this craziness with my move.

Hope i caught all of your questions .. at least in this post. I'll catch everything up soon. I'm so glad to see more interest. I was worried that a party of three would get wiped out a little to fast :3

---------- Post added 07-24-2016 at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i n u x e View Post

Ability scores: 11 (or re-roll that?), 12, 13, 16, 17, and 18
I'm pretty pleased with that. ^^
With this you're currently sitting at a 13, 12, and 16 that are solidified scores.

All 1s are rerolled so you have a 3 stats to solidify.
First:
6/3/2/1 Reroll the 1 (20 sider was lower)
Second:
5/4/1/1 Reroll both 1s (20 sider was lower)
Third:
6/5/1/1 Reroll both 1s (20 sider was a 17 but you may roll 2 6s)

I could take the 4 6 siders you rerolled in the confusion of my unique ability rolling system. Or you could reroll 5 new d6s. :]

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 AM

Ok I will just keep the 12, 13, and 16, and re-roll the 3 other abilities.

One question I posted in the middle of all my dice rolls, was can you tell me what the different schools of magic are? There is one feat that lets you boost all spells from one school of magic. If most of the healing cleric spells come from school A for example, and most of the battle cleric spells come from school B, then I would like to get that feat. If cleric spells come from 3-4+ schools of magic then that feat may not be worth it to get.

About moving: I see, I agree that it would be very difficult to live apart from your husband for a year. I'm happy that the whole family is together now. Did you find it very stressful when you had to raise the children on your own, or did you have help from someone else?
Aw, ya kids grow very quickly. However, after the preschooler years their growth usually slows down for a few years until they hit puberty then they shoot up.

If I understand correctly, you only get to choose between the 20 sided die and the 6 sided one if none of your 6 sided die ended in 1?

The 20-sided dice lands on 16
The 6-sided dice lands on 4
The 6-sided dice lands on 6
The 6-sided dice lands on 5
The 6-sided dice lands on 3

The 20-sided dice lands on 12
The 6-sided dice lands on 2

The 20-sided dice lands on 13
The 6-sided dice lands on 1
*fingers crossed*

Edit: Ok, now it seems like my ability points are 12, 13, 16, and 16. I will wait to re-roll the other 2 until I hear final word from you about the whole when you can choose between the 20-sided and 6-sided die

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 AM

Player handbook if needed: Player Handbook

As for the rerolls, I believe you just reroll the 1s that you rolled, and the remaining rolls are left as is.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 07-26-2016 at 03:29 AM..

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Hi Poet! I also remember you from many years ago :)
I'm glad to see that you are still on Mene.

Ok, I did read parts of the player handbook but not the section that talked about schools of magic. I found that section now, so I have a clearer idea of which feats I will choose.
Does anyone here have experience with clerics?

I get the re-rolling system now. For some silly reason I thought you had to re-roll everything if you got one 1 xD
Re-rolling for this set:
Quote:

Re-rolling for this set:
Quote:

---------- Post added 07-26-2016 at 08:50 PM ----------

Re-rolling for this set again:
Quote:
C'mon no more ones please...

Yay, to my knowledge, all my ability points have been rolled.
I think they are 12, 13, 16, 16, 16, and 16. Lol, so many 16s.

Question for Shadami: Would it be challenging to play your campaign with a level 1 character? As in, what are the chances that I would die before leveling up? I would like to make my character level 1 so I can grow with her, but if it may be too difficult for a first-time player like me then I could roll a dice to see what level she would be.

Last edited by M i n u x e; 07-27-2016 at 01:33 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM

Yay someone from old mene finally recognized me

Minuxe - I'll keep you alive :)

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 07-30-2016, 12:56 AM

Aw ok, thanks! I will be relying on you to defeat all the monsters ;)
Do you have experience playing as a ranger?

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 PM

i mean it would be really tough to play as a first level character. But i don't see why you couldn't if that's what you want to do.

and oh goodness. your rolls have gotten me all confuzzled now. since when you quote a dice roll it rerolls it in the quote so i have absolutely no idea which ones you're rerolling .. at all...

So taking Just your 6sider rerolls into account... Your stats are 12,13,16,14, 15, and 17

schools of magic would be ... oh goodness off the top of my head... Diviniation, Abjuration, Conjuration, Necromancy, Illusion, Enchantment, and Evocation.

husband has just corrected me and said transmutation as well. I knew there was 8 but forgot what the 8th was.

I have experience with Clerics, but it was in first edition, when it was still known as advanced dungeons and dragons.

Moving was incredibly stressful. As was raising the girls on my own.

Last edited by Inspiration; 08-01-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM

I'm so sorry guys but I think I'm going to have to drop out. I got picked up by an IRL DnD game and I don't think I have the time to do both.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 AM

Oh goodness :O well okay than Bearzy. sorry you have to leave too . have fun ^^

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 PM

I have limited experience as a ranger, but I will try to learn quickly. My character is primarily for survival based needs, but I also ensured she can do combat as well.

If bearzy is gone, who all is left as of current? We have a ranger and a cleric that I know of.

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearzy View Post
I'm so sorry guys but I think I'm going to have to drop out. I got picked up by an IRL DnD game and I don't think I have the time to do both.
Aw, ok Bearzy that is understandable. I hope you have lots of fun with that group!

Poet: Ya you are right, since Bearzy was going to play 2 characters now we are only left with you and I.
I guess that means we have to go back to waiting for more new people before starting. :(

Inspiration: Thanks for answering my question about the schools of magic, I was able to find out that information already though. I just had to look at the 3.5ed handbook in more detail.
How come when I quoted the rolls I didn't see them changed, odd. Sorry for all the confusion! ^^"
I think I will roll the dice to see what level I am if it will be tough to play as a level 1 character. I think fainting multiple times and/or dieing will frustrate me too much.
Just to make it easier I will use the stats you came up with.
Quote:
Your stats are 12,13,16,14, 15, and 17
I can post the character info I have so far in the character creation thread now.
Please give me any pointers on things I need to add, or if I chose a skill or feat that you do not think will be useful for a cleric. Thanks!

Last edited by M i n u x e; 08-03-2016 at 04:57 PM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-03-2016, 05:18 PM

Shadami - I just realized but did I ever take my racial bonuses for being a half-elf?

Min - I suppose we can always start small. Do some of the lower end quests while we wait for others to join. Maybe seeing it in action will encourage others.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 AM

you know... i don't think you did Poet...

I mean I guess i can soften up the characters possibly /challenges. It'll be a bit tough with only a couple of you. And so low level. xD this could also be really interesting and make it just that much more epic. .. I think i may be able to do this.. hmmmm

Probably ending up a bit more intelligence using, and RP than actual battle battle. Yeah I could set this up and get it moving. I'll get something set up in the actual thread now with an updated first post with info so we can start the RP shortly.

Glad you were able to find it MIN. I'll check out your character in a second. i actually had the page open already.

i'm thinking that spell focus and extend spell are just for sorcerers and wizards. i'm going to have to double check that. but I'm pretty sure.

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 08:18 PM ----------

You can roll a 1d5 if you'd like or you can take the level one like you wanted Min. I don't mind either. i can make things work ^^

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 AM

Okay so... could you list the racial bonuses that your book says I'll get? Or at least the ones you will permit. I know they get decent vision and whatnot.

Well, my character will be an arcane archer in the far future if that's available, so spell focus wouldn't be all lost.

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 08-05-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration View Post
you know... i don't think you did Poet...

I mean I guess i can soften up the characters possibly /challenges. It'll be a bit tough with only a couple of you. And so low level. xD this could also be really interesting and make it just that much more epic. .. I think i may be able to do this.. hmmmm

Probably ending up a bit more intelligence using, and RP than actual battle battle. Yeah I could set this up and get it moving. I'll get something set up in the actual thread now with an updated first post with info so we can start the RP shortly.

Glad you were able to find it MIN. I'll check out your character in a second. i actually had the page open already.

i'm thinking that spell focus and extend spell are just for sorcerers and wizards. i'm going to have to double check that. but I'm pretty sure.

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 08:18 PM ----------

You can roll a 1d5 if you'd like or you can take the level one like you wanted Min. I don't mind either. i can make things work ^^
I thought that a cleric counts as a spell caster according to 3.5ed, so I can take metamagic feats like extend spell. In 3.5ed it says spell focus is a general feat with no prerequisites so I thought it was open to everyone.
That manual is so huge, so I haven't read most of it. I just read the parts I have to know in order to make my character.

I am completely up to start the campaign with just our two characters. Especially if you are willing to put in the work to tweak the campaign so it works with a duo.
I think being heavy on the intelligence-using and RPing will be lots of fun, killing monsters can get repetitive anyways :P

Ok, I will roll the d5 now and see what level my character ends up being! *drumroll*
The 5-sided dice lands on 2

---------- Post added 08-05-2016 at 08:23 PM ----------

Lol!! I ended up being level 1 in the end xD
I hope my puny weak character doesn't faint/die near the beginning!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM

A small request if I may shadami. I would like to begin our adventure focusing on any goblin problems. They will be a good simple monster for a fledgling cleric :)

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 AM

O, why are they specifically good for new clerics?

I want to check if what I found is correct. It is about how we determine how much gold we start off with.
I read somewhere that we roll a 1d4 to determine how much gold we start off with, is that correct or do we start off with no gold?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 AM

Because they are small and stupid, with the tendency to get themselves and their comrades killed.

During a campaign with my brother, we were attacked by about 80ish goblins. A large percentage of those killed themselves, lit comrades on fire, lit themselves on fire, couple blew themselves up, etc.. and I remember something about a goblin getting killed by a boot.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-06-2016, 11:01 PM

You rolled a Level 3 Character Min. not level 1. :] 3-7 was the range. so a 5 sider to determine which one.

I gotta look a couple things up. cause i could very easily be remembering certain things wrong. I suppose I could do that... hmmmm goblin attack that introduces the actual campaign... might be plausible... You're both the same level now though I believe? xD aren't you level 3 poet ? :D

Level 3 cleric would be 12 gold at start to spend on adventuring equipment.

I was wrong about the metamagic feats. I must have been thinking of something else.

Minuxe, what is the + 1 you put on your ability scores? humans don't get any bonuses as the dice rolls represent an average human. and other races get adjustments of how they're different from human.

Quote:
Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special
bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.

Immunity to
sleep
spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial
bonus on saving throw against enchantment spells or effects.

Low-light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in
starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor
illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail
under these conditions.

+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks: A half-elf does
not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply by passing
near them. Half-elves have keen senses, but not as keen as those
of an elf.

+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks:
Half-elves get along naturally with all people.

Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered
an elf. Half-elves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special
effects that affect elves as their elf ancestors are, and they can use
magic items that are only usable by elves.

Last edited by Inspiration; 08-06-2016 at 11:11 PM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-07-2016, 02:01 AM

Yup, I too rolled horribly

She only gets 12 gold? That seems rather low doesn't it? Or is that after picking out their equipment?

Hmm looks like my resource (my old one) is slightly different from the book. That's unfortunate.

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Well technically clerics get to roll a 1d4 to determine their starting gold. I just do here's max, and you get max for each of your 3 levels. Basically how the book puts it is you've spent the gold on lodging food equipment, ect and this is what you have left in spending money to get adventuring gear.
because you don't want to start with being able to just buy the shop outright cause than you won't have any fun because there will be no challenge :D

So I look at it as you have some basic armor for you class, and than get some adventuring gear. and than other stuff might be approved. also you need to roll for magic items which i completely facepalmed on and forgot to mention to you both.

Give me about 10 100 rolls. xD And I'll tell you what else you need to roll after./ get you your magic items.

oh and poet, your ranger has 24? 2d4 x 3 .. math fail. i need food.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Starting magic items? Interesting, I've never actually done that before. When I've started a game it was always with no magic items, which were acquired during the game itself.

So I'm a bit confused where 24 came from. What am I rolling?

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM

Inspiration: Ok, so I will update my character sheet to reflect a level 3 character.
The 12gp is what I can use to buy survival equipment like a tent, rope, waterskin etc. right?
The starting armor, shield and weapon I have selected are ok right? Also, I do not have to spend my 12gp to buy them right?

I misunderstood how to determine your ability modifiers. Now I'm going by what it says in table 1-1 in the 3.5ed handbook. Your modifier depends on how many ability points you have in that ability.

Please double check that my character sheet makes sense, thanks!

Ok, I will roll the 10 d100s, but I am also kind of unsure what the rolls are for. I am guessing they determine how many/what magic items we get but I haven't read up on that section of the manual yet. Are magic items things like potions and ingredients used for potions?

The 100-sided dice lands on 80
The 100-sided dice lands on 13
The 100-sided dice lands on 63
The 100-sided dice lands on 68
The 100-sided dice lands on 76
The 100-sided dice lands on 61
The 100-sided dice lands on 48
The 100-sided dice lands on 95
The 100-sided dice lands on 81
The 100-sided dice lands on 57

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 08:54 PM ----------

I have a question, would selecting the 'Enlarge Spell' feat allow me to increase the range of my touch spells? Are touch spells considered to have a close range or do they have no range?

Also, when I look at cleric guides for DnD 3.5ed they all say that one of the feats you should select is the Divine Metamagic one. However, the 3.5 handbook we are using doesn't have the Divine Metamagic feat in it. Is the Divine Metamagic feat actually from another version/edition?

Last edited by M i n u x e; 08-11-2016 at 05:15 PM..

Inspiration
ICKy Charity Owner

Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM

Apparantly when i had my computer crash it decided to say i'd already read this thread. So... annoyed with that. the first post is finally up for the actual RP. Let me look at what you've rolled up MIN. And i'll check out the other things you've asked to, though I'm thinking the divine metamagic feat if its not in the PHP that its from one of the branch books. Not another edition. just one of the hundreds of 3.5 books that were printed. xD

Quote:
Ok, so I will update my character sheet to reflect a level 3 character.
The 12gp is what I can use to buy survival equipment like a tent, rope, waterskin etc. right?
The starting armor, shield and weapon I have selected are ok right? Also, I do not have to spend my 12gp to buy them right?

I misunderstood how to determine your ability modifiers. Now I'm going by what it says in table 1-1 in the 3.5ed handbook. Your modifier depends on how many ability points you have in that ability.
Exactly what the gp is for yes. :D and starting gear was fine.

The ability modifiers aka +3 or whatever they are, determine what is added or subtracted to rolls that require that ability score.
Like if you need to roll a swimming check that requires strength, but you have a -1 to strength it takes of 1 from your roll . And vice versa.

Quote:
So I'm a bit confused where 24 came from. What am I rolling?
Level 1 rangers roll 2d4 to determine how much gold they start with. I just say eh you have the max. so 8x3. 24 gold :D

Quote:
The 100-sided dice lands on 94
The 100-sided dice lands on 41
The 100-sided dice lands on 3
The 100-sided dice lands on 45
The 100-sided dice lands on 69
The 100-sided dice lands on 14
The 100-sided dice lands on 22
The 100-sided dice lands on 83
The 100-sided dice lands on 8
The 100-sided dice lands on 56
First magic item:
A thick tome, just a little bit dusty on the pages like it has never been read before. Flipping through quickly reveals it to be some kind of exercise and diet suggestions book. It takes aproximately 48 hours to read the entire book over a minimum of six days.
The front of the book says "Manual of Gainful exercise"

Second Magic item:
A nondescript rod has been revealed to you along your travels to be a greater metamagic rod of silence. Looking at the rod you would never be able to tell that it was magical. It is nothing amazing other than the radiance it gives off to those that can see magic. It's metal surface is smooth with no engraved glyphs or magical signs. It's head is just a simple round ball. It's only about 2 and a half feet in length.
You however know that 3 times a day you may cast any spell 9th and lower without using the verbal components required by the spell. As if using the silent spell feat.

Third Magic item:
You have acquired 50 sling bullets (+2 )

Last edited by Inspiration; 08-24-2016 at 07:56 PM..