PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-08-2020, 11:55 PM

As darkness fell and most of the villagers retired quietly to their homes, one young man still wandered. Through no choice of his own, the blond wandered the forest paths, nervously eyeing his surroundings as he made his slow and stumbling way along. Eyre supported himself against the trunks of nearby trees as he forced his weak body forward, blue eyes searching the undergrowth for the nearly completely smooth shaft of his staff. He needed it to get around, to support himself, but some troublesome village children had stolen it away while he slept near the forest's edge. He'd heard them laughing about having hidden it away, and knew he would have to go search for it.

The staff had been a gift from his father, and it held as much emotional importance as practical. Eyre gasped as he stumbled upon a stone, and tumbled to the ground. He hissed as the pain hit him, and searched his surroundings for danger with fear in his eyes. What he found instead were the remains of a long abandoned stone structure. It was fairly small, and reclaimed by nature. So much so that the surrounding pillars had been covered with plants and seemed like nothing more then trees. Upon closer inspection of the ground, Eyre found that it was in fact tiled. It seemed like he was in nothing more then some kind of room, open to the skies above .. As much as it could be with branches barring the way.

Kat Dakuu:

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-23-2020, 09:18 PM

The night sky gleamed with stars, unmarred by the mire humans had done to the earth. But that was fine. They did not want the night so they left it be. Where the temples of the sun god stood proud and tall, adorned in disks of gold and clouds of incense, the temple of the night belonged to night and night alone. That darkness sat heavy in the room like a blanket or, perhaps...like a living being. For so long, the darkness slept, unvisited by any. Weary, alone, proud, it waited. It thought it might sleep forever like that. However, this night was not like other nights.

The sound of human footsteps rang out in the empty hall. The darkness stirred. A visitor? Who would dare enter the temple of the night? The shadows condensed, sweeping in through the open portal in the ceiling until it hovered above the human, an indistinct mass that blocked out the light of the stars. For a long second, it hovered there. Then, the darkness opened its eyes, two brilliant stars taking in the sight of its temple. Such refuge this place had become, disgusting in the eyes of a god. And then there was the young man, propping himself up with the fallen rock of the altar. Did he perhaps know what ground he walked on? The thought pulled a low chuckle from the being that had awoken.

The darkness' voice boomed against the tile and stone when it finally chose to speak. "Have you come to visit me, strange human?" The darkness swept closer, those two star-like eyes peering down with a sparkling interest. Maybe he should be grumpy, but in this very moment, the true body of night was curious. Just what sort of human could draw the interest of Night?

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 AM

Beautiful starlight shone down upon the frail young man, and he couldn't help but welcome the change from the harsh light of day. It felt ... peaceful, in a way incomparable to daylight. Despite the unpleasant task ahead, Eyre found himself smiling softly, his shoulders relaxing and his breathing easing. But all of that soon changed when the stars were obscured, their gentle brilliance hidden away by pure darkness.

Two points of bright light stared down at him, and that voice! Eyre took in a great gasp of air, and started coughing uncontrollably. He clutched at his chest, while still trying to support himself on the stone. Eyes shut tight, the blond tried to get his body to cooperate. He had to stop coughing, so he could answer the strange being who seemed to call the ruins home!

After what seemed like an interminable time, Eyre felt the pain in his chest ease, and he was finally able to look up again at the hovering being with a sheepish smile. "I came here in search of my staff, hidden by a pack of children. I apologize if I've disturbed your rest ..." He glanced at the ruins, trying to figure out what they might have been once upon a time. It seemed like a place made to observe the stars, with the opening up above, and yet nothing about it rang a bell. It must have been important once, long ago, but had apparently been forgotten with the inevitable passage of time.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-30-2020, 02:15 AM

The darkness stared down at the human, curious and patient as he waited for an answer. And even after he got it, the being continued to watching the man as if that might reveal some answers. In another century, spoken to by another human, he might rain down terror. However, another laugh tickled at his throat...ah right, he might as well take a form. He was night and darkness and stars and moon. Humans did not know how to see such things so, as he swept closer, he inspected the human for a choice best suited to him.

The darkness began to condense, its star-eyes spinning together until they became jewel-like, opal irises in an olive-dusted face, dark hair fluttering down into silky waves. Black robes adorned the man of timeless beauty. He could have been a Greek statue if not for the smirk on his lips. "Ah yes, this is much better. I think this appearance is to your liking? Though, of course, be it wolf, woman, or bird, I can settle in whatever form you prefer." He had to admit, getting a chance to stretch this very real male body was quickly becoming his favorite, however. "Now, did you say something about a staff?"

Glancing around the room again, he gave it another look of disdain. Everything really did fall into disrepair. If some kids did hide a staff among the rubble, he did not see it nor did he notice a human presence before now. Perhaps that was for the sake of fate that they met now? Fate, or another cruel trick of hers.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-30-2020, 03:02 AM

The strange mass transformed into something, someone, entirely different. Eyre had to fight another fit of coughing down, hating how tight it made his chest feel. What a startling surprise! He didn't quite know what to say when the handsome stranger told him the reason for his appearance. Eyre did like the way the dark haired being looked, so much so that he couldn't find it in himself to meet those opal eyes.

"Yes, as I said, it was stolen away and hidden. I thought maybe here, but ... it seems to have vanished completely." His calmness in face of the being before him was more out of a sense of carefully cultivated serenity. Eyre had known for a very long time that his life would probably be a short one; no one could figure out what was wrong with him after all. So he had worked hard on himself, so he could accept his fate, and whatever else the world decided to throw at him so he could actually enjoy life. And this, if this wasn't an experience to treasure, he had no idea what was!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 PM

The creature narrowed his eyes, inspecting the human once again. "Are you ill, perhaps? Fate really does have a sense of humor," he added with a shake of his head. If he could punish Fate himself, he would fly to the heavens and lay into her but it was a battle that mortal and immortals lost to. Fate, it was the one never-changing thing. "Human, tell me your name and perhaps I will see about finding this staff of yours. If it is so important them I might as well help you out. After all, you are the first visitor to my temple in a very long time. Humans are so picky about night but you could tell them of his wondrous kindness. That would be a fair exchange, would it not?" he added with a gleeful grin, one hand posed in front of his chest, showing off the inky black nails adorning them.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 AM

Night? Eyre stared up at the man from his crouching position. The blond pulled himself up from the ground with some effort, still using the stone table as a support. "My name is Eyre, and yes ... I am sick, with something no healer has ever been able to name or cure. Some even think I am cursed, but I wouldn't want to bore you with my mortal worries." He ended up smiling brightly, laughing with gentleness. He didn't want to provoke another bout of coughing. "Though I would appreciate your help finding my staff. I not only need it to be able to get around, but it was carved by my father so it has a sentimental value."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 PM

The creature stared a little more deeply. "I could help you get this staff. What does it look like?" he mused. It would, of course, not be him that went searching but he was the owner, the visage of night. He could send some other denizens of the realm to search the entire continent if need be. Lips pursed, he leaned forward to steady the human with a hand on his shoulder. "Eyre, huh? It is good to know the name of the person that woke me. I wonder though, do you know my own name? You seem to have no fear or comprehension from what I just told you. Or is that, perhaps, the constitution of an ill man...?" he mused, clearly not able to comprehend the concept himself.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-13-2020, 12:50 AM

"My staff is made of strong and sturdy oak, stained a warm honey colour, with a circle of runes around the top. It stands as tall as I am." He was surprised when the one calling himself Night deigned to place a hand upon his shoulder. Eyre stared at the impossible hand, the unsought touch. A smile tugged the corners of his lips up at the thought of how unlikely any of the last few moments were. It was the meeting of a lifetime, especially for one as short as Eyre knew his would be. He was surprised to have lived as long as he had already.

Night's question, in consequence, had Eyre shrugging his shoulders. "What have I to fear, even from a god such as Night, when my life has already lasted longer then anyone ever thought possible? When one lives with death as a constant companion, the ultimate arbiter which none can avoid, so many things aren't frightening anymore." How would the god take it? Or the seeming god. Eyre didn't know what to call the man, the being, standing so near him, and trying to define him was probably a bad idea anyway.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-17-2020, 05:51 PM

Lips twisting into a smile almost sinister in nature, the creature stepped back to hold out a hand. "Let's see about finding this staff then." A bit of the darkness swelled in his palm before the shriek of an owl broke through the night. From the opening above them, a sooty owl swopped in and lighted on the creature's hand. He spoke to it, the words tumbling out in an ancient language before he thrust his hand back up again and the owl with it. "Let the others know that I want it found."

As soon as the owl dived out of the temple again, the creature turned his gaze back to Eyre. "It seems that we have a perfect reason to meet, then. But I wonder, do you really think of me as a god? The previous generations called me such, though I wouldn't say they worshipped me," he added with a sneer. "I am just Night. I have had many names over the course of time, though they mean much the same thing. Noctus, Gece, The Dark, Νύχτα, Tenebris, Nacht.." The list went on for ages, for every language and sensibility. He held no preference himself, though he supposed he heard some names more than others. Yes, something familiar then. "The last humans called me Mavros. You may call me however you like."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 08-26-2020 at 02:19 AM..

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-21-2020, 10:13 PM

Night stepped back to lift a hand. For a moment, Eyre thought he was meant to take it, until the owl made an appearance. It blocked the stars for a moment with its wings, and was soon gone again. The young man made no comment about that, still musing over how casually he had been touched. Those in the village he called home avoided any contact with him; the healer alone had no fear of him. Even his parents hesitated before laying hands on him...

He shook his head, turning his focus from the things he could not change to address Night with a smile. When told he could call this being whatever he felt comfortable with, Eyre closed his eyes. He listened, turning to his senses beneath the starlit sky. A soft wind played through the leaves as night creatures stirred, and the music of the night filled his ears. Slowly, blue eyes opened to regard the personification of the evening, the being who was the night. Ageless, certainly, all knowing? Perhaps. It didn't seem so.

"Would it bother you very much if I called you Tenebris? It seems to fit this particular evening well, sounding softer then other names you have said you've born through the ages." The golden haired man glanced up at the stars. "What is it like, to live so long, without fear of death?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-26-2020, 10:21 PM

"Tenebris. Very well, if that is what you wish," he murmured back, not smiling, but accepting the name with ease. After an eternal life, names felt like tunics he could change and wash out, putting on again without a flutter to his heart. They meant nothing. Moving forward again, Tenebris beckoned Eyre over his shoulder. "Since that's been decided, we might as well find somewhere comfortable to be while we wait. No point in standing all hours like fools. Animals are clever and quick listeners but not without their faults," he added with a slight sneer, upper lip curled up to reveal a perfect set of teeth. He didn't linger on the distaste though, instead, focusing on not walking too fast.

The temple wasn't much to look at now, but Tenebris knew the layout as if he'd last stepped foot in it yesterday and didn't have a thousand other temples devoted to him across the world. He knew what was his. "Ah, it's somewhat salvageable," Tenebris muttered as they came to a small room just off of the main one with a row of stone cot frames, the straw long gone and only a few books and candle stubs marking it as a place once inhabited.

Tenebris perched on the edge of one of the cots, a perfect picture of poise even in the near solid darkness, before turning to meet Eyre's gaze once again. "Now, did you really want to talk about the long life of an entity or did you really mean that you wanted to hear tales of the past only 'Night' could know?" he asked, clearly expecting nothing so soft as interest in him to be pointed his way.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-06-2020, 11:48 PM

With a nod, Eyre set off after the taller man. His every step was a little unsteady, and he had to focus more on keeping steady than usual without his staff. Perhaps he had come to rely on it too much ... And yet, without it Eyre couldn't walk nearly as far, and not being able to get around terrified him. Realizing where his thoughts were wandering, the young man shook his head, and rested his eyes on the surrounding temple. Its layout was entirely unfamiliar, and though his sight had adjusted to the darkness, he still lay a hand against the wall. It was as much to steady his steps as to have some physical solid thing to guide him through the dark.

When Tenebris slipped into the small chamber, Eyre was relieved to see the cots and made his way to the nearest one. He ended up sitting across from the immortal, and pulled his legs up, hugging them to his chest. Eyre peered over his knees at Tenebris. "I truly am interested in your life. Is it boring? Or are you able to find something new, curiosity inspiring, to wonder over every once in a while?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Tenebris raised an eyebrow. Especially after having not talked to anyone for a great amount of time, Eyre's questions seemed so very strange. "Boring? Interesting? I know nothing of these things. The life of an entity isn't easy to describe. I have always existed and I always will. If I got bored easily, how would I exist?" Bored must be a human feeling because he wasn't sure he fully understood the concept, but that just made him more curious.

He leaned forward, peering into the dark with the ease of someone born in it. It never occurred to him to light a candle or make it easier for Eyre to see him in the same way. "Perhaps taking this form will alter my perspective. It is...a very interesting form. Human, that is," he said, tilting his hand with a curious gaze. So many tiny grooves and shades of color existed in such a small thing. How did humans not stop and stares at their hands every day? But then, his hands weren't quite like Eyre's.

Leaning forward, Tenebris snatched up one of the human's hands to inspect the skin there. "Your skin is quite pale and smooth. Why is that?"

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Eyre was silent while he thought over the entitie's remarks and questions with the greatest of care and seriousness. A frown creased his forehead,and his lips he pressed together. All of that calm contemplation shattered at Tenebris' touch. Gasping at the surprising turn of events,Eyre fought every instinct he had; Eyre had always been told not to touch anyone unless he coulsn't help it. It was alright. Tenebris couldn't fall ill. It was safe.

"It's because I stay inside most of the time, not being strong enough to do the work in the fields, and I was never considered well enough to become any kind of apprentice..." His quiet voice filled with excitement as he went on. "But the healer always lets me look at the concoctions she brings to heal me, and brings books of healing so that I may study them. One day... perhaps, I could become a healer's assistant." Eyre could never imagine becoming a full fledged healer, but to be the assistant of one would be nearly as good.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-30-2020, 05:25 PM

Tenebris pressed his lips together as he mused over that answer. So it wasn't just that humans and a god in human form looked different, but that Eyre looked different even from other humans. He didn't mind it, though. Turning Eyre's hand again, he inspected the clean underside of his nails, the smooth texture along the fingertips. It was true that his fingers had a similar texture but his black nails that bled smokey color into his nail beds looked nothing like Eyre's.

Finally, Tenebris released the other man's hand and stood to pace across the short aisle between the cots. "This is very interesting but I find that my curiosity is not sated enough. Once your staff is found, will you continue to visit this temple and bring me stories? If not, I may have to find a way to induct myself into society again. Will the humans be interested in knowing 'Night' again? I wonder..." He shook his head. "No, it is likely that you will not know. You are on the outskirts of society as well. Pity that that is." He didn't think he would ever understand the discrimination of humans. All of the differences between people were interesting to him, not repulsive.