jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM

I wonder what you guys made of that thread title? Any ideas? Because I've got some seriously interesting news for you all, but...(knew that was coming, didn't you) this is going to be something that requires some patience, think you're up for that challenge?

This is about events, a few of you will have seen talk of future things being done differently, but this is to let ALL of you know that big changes are on the horizon. Of course I can't give too much away because that would be no fun, but Celes Paradi (when it arrives) will be the last event of its kind!

There's a few reasons for this:

One being, well, why do we have events like we do? To be honest it's because it's what other avatar sites do so we did it too because it seemed to be what was expected of us, pretty unimaginative I think you'll agree!
Secondly, our events are monster money pits. Each one costs approximates $3,000 when you take into consideration the coding, layout, event items and big amount of commons, but they don't earn the site anything at all. This might suprise you because of the volume of people on during events, but you have to remember that the majority of that increase is people's mules, the rest is the people who only turn up for events then disappear again. So events cost all that money to produce, but they don't make any money at all as donations are often less during an event month.

SO! A new innovation is on its way with regard to events and the entire structure of them is going to change, but this is where the waiting comes in because this change is going to take time. And, this is the bit where you're going to need to be patient with us, because in the meantime we're going to have to go totally old school and have events with no code at all! It's going to be real seat of the pants stuff for both Hallowe'en and Winter Nights but we're going to do our level best to give you guys some fun things to do. You're not going to be able to collect tons of event items though because there's going to be no means of giving them out other than manually, unless we have a brainwave between now and then.

Can you guys stick with us during this time of change? We really are going to do our utmost to give you 2 fun events for Hallowe'en and Christmas. While the event forum itself will follow the same format as usual we're not going to be able to give you the volume of FREE that you may have become accustomed to, and it will be simply a variety of stickied threads offering all kinds of different things to do (with prizes of course). We're going to do what we can to rustle up some goodies for you, but as distibution methods are likely to be manual nothing will be appearing in your inventory straight away.

I'm not going to give away any hints on what's going to replace our events, I'm just going to say that you guys will love it. Also, our events as they stand won't disappear, we will continue with the code-free ones (think Shipwreck Ball) and those will run fairly regularly too, so you'll actually be getting more to do than you have now ;)
There's just going to be this interim period where all there is is code-free eventing and we'd really love it if you could be patient and enjoy what we can manage to put on for your entertainment, and look forward to what's coming in the future!

Summary: For the lazeh!
  • Celes Paradi is happening, don't know when
  • Celes Paradi will be the last event of its kind
  • Hallowe'en and Winter Nights will be code-free, same as Shipwreck Ball
  • EIs for both will probably be handled in much the same way as for Shipwreck Ball
  • I'm not telling you what new events are going to be like
  • Stop being lazy and read all the post! :P

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 AM

Yeah I know that was a TL;DR wall of text, but hopefully you did all read it!

This space saved for anything that I've missed/forgotten (and can tell you about) that's brought up in questions :)

Knew I'd need this, now then pay attention to what the bossman said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Just a note, the reason for this is NOT because we're having financial difficulties, it's because we want to innovate and lead the pack, rather than just do what everyone else is doing :)
A lot of you have focused solely on the one thing in my wall of text, and that was the cost of events. As Inso says this is not the reason for why they are being changed. Me personally, I think the fact that they are a drain on resources may have been what triggered the thought process for something new in Inso's mind, but on the other hand, I don't want to understand Inso's mind, it's scary in there :P

The entire point of events changing is to shake off the shackles of the avatar site. We don't want to have to do things a certain way because that's the way it's always been done. That's real old lady thinking right there - I've sat in this seat on the bus for 30 years! - that kind of thing. Those of you who have been with us for a while will know that we're not afraid to try something new and that we really don't like being stuck in a rut, especially not for that lamest of lame reasons of just "because".

We want something new and fun, and if it doesn't drain the coffers so badly then so much the better, but please don't be thinking that that means the new way is going to be something basic or boring, it isn't ;) It's just going to be different, very different :yes:

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 AM

Interesting. Well, Shipwreck was great, so I can't wait to see what's in store!
<3

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 09-30-2010 at 01:50 AM..

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Eek! I'm with you guys 100%, no doubt about it! :)

While I surely will miss the influx of commons (as all of us common whores shall), I definitely feel like you guys aren't going to half-ass this new concept. Plus, with more thoughtfulness placed upon the EIs, the actual contests/etc. of the event, and all of that jazz, I feel like it'll be a larger community-oriented gain. Which I'm all about. 'Cause I love me some chattin'. ;)

Anyway, I totally believe in you guys. And I honestly can't wait until Hallowe'en now! :eager:

Vickyll3
Multi Media
Penpal

Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 AM

Hmm good to know all of this

I'll stick with Mene, but all of that sound confusing
I'm kinda lost

Last edited by Vickyll3; 09-30-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Forsaken Eyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 AM

I was waiting for an announcement!!! :D Not really what I had expected, but still, I like to know what's going on.
I think this is a pretty good idea, mostly because of the money thing ;D
I can't wait to see how the events will be like!

Talitha001
Send a message via AIM to Talitha001 Send a message via MSN to Talitha001 Send a message via Yahoo to Talitha001

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 AM

gl and happy to know. ^.^ thanks for allerting us to this fact and I totally understand the need to save money

Sakura_Madison
The Lover of Red
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Sakura_Madison Send a message via MSN to Sakura_Madison Send a message via Yahoo to Sakura_Madison

Interesting how much an event actually costs.

I cannot wait for the new changes on what is bound to happen.

It was bad that I was not around the last event, since I was busy.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Well thats good to know.
I will miss doing scavenger hunts for items like last years Celes Paradi. Those where enjoyable. But I eagerly await the new set up

Muziek
One who fears not arrows, but lo...

Muz is magic, muz read it all! >D

I'm going to be totally bummed on Halloween. It's my favorite event of the year, and when everything stays its normal colour I'll be like, WUT DIS NOT B HALLOWEN PLS? ;w;

Shipwreck-ball type events will make more people participate... Yay! Participation! I like joining contests with lots of entries.. Then I'm not so embarrassed by how horrible my entries are :ninja:

Can't wait to see the new event styles. <3

Forever_Trapped
Fallen Angel, destined to fly; B...

Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Ohhh nice to know all of this!
Interesting.... Backing you guys up 100% ;D

Forsaken Eyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 AM

I just noticed, when this announcement was released there were what, 5 people viewing? And now that there is the popup thingy there are TONS of people viewing it now xD

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 AM

i'm in mene for life, so i'll wait patiently like a good little girl :angel:

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

I think I'll wait and see how things turn out before I give an actual opinion on them. Sadly, I was a bit busy during Shipwreck, so I didn't get the chance to participate, so I'll sit back and see how things run this time around.

Silver Crusnik
Kittenfais Overlord

I missed Shipwreck, but I want you guys to know I'm behind you 100% in this decision. Fancy coding will not replace good wholesome (or otherwise :lol: ) fun, and the good thing about events is not just the sets you obtain, but the people you meet and the friendships you forge. I'll cherish Celes Paradi as the last of its kind and only hope that in the future, we can run another event like it, if not every time.

I hope this is kind of like a long version of the Feast of Fools, well the idea for Halloween and the Festival of Winter Nights, anyway. I like just threadcrashing. <33333

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM

Aww, I was really looking forward to the awesome layout for Halloween as it is my favorite holiday.
I am eager to see the surprises. I really hope it is something I will Love.

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

xD
I'm fine with this. Really kind of supporting this really. Anything to help save with money and such!
:heart:

Emma: It's cuz I don't check the front page often.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

That sounds fine with me. Always good to save money.
Thanks for letting us know.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 AM

Ofcourse i'll still be here, with or without the flashy stuff. :)

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

Oh, right.
What suo said.
xD

Krazy Kiara
Your frendly krazy gurl

im with you guys 100% :D

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 AM

It sucks that the events cost so much just to look nice.
I still hope to get a lot of event items though. ^_^

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM

Wow, events are expensive D:
But I'm glad that I read this, thanks for keeping us informed :heart:

Silver Crusnik
Kittenfais Overlord

Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 AM

I'm actually not surprised that events are so expensive. The sheer amount of coding just for a simple thing, I don't think a normal consumer can understand it completely unless they've taken some sort of educational courses on web design. Which I have. XD

MistressPaco
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-30-2010, 01:41 AM

You do what you have to do, and money certainly doesn't grow on tree's. I just got here, and I certainly won't be leaving over something as silly as no pop up items or things like that durning an event.