Pandora's Box
Everyone's Favorite Sociopath

Old 09-13-2014, 03:20 AM

I braced myself as the bus lurched forward. If the bus driver were smarter, she wouldn't speed down these roads, then slam on the brakes when we reached my house. I sighed as I pulled my backpack over my shoulder and walked from the back of the bus towards the doors. After only taking a few steps off, the bus driver floored on the gas pedal and sped off to the next house. One of these days we were gonna get into an accident, I was sure of it.

After a quick jog up the driveway, I was unlocking the door to the house I had lived in my entire life. Warm air and the smell of cookies greeted me as I slipped off my shoes and dropped my backpack. My mother stood in the kitchen wearing an apron covered flour. "Hi Lily, how was school?" Of course she'd ask. She always asks that, it was routine. "I went, I've learned, I'm back." I answered. She frowned. "Was someone rude to you again?" I shrugged. "No. I'm just...not there, it feels like." I pulled my hair tie out and let my hair fall from it's ponytail. "I'm gonna go rest in my room for a bit before I start on my homework, okay?" I didn't wait for an answer as I bounded up the stairs two steps at a time.

High school is difficult. Most people are either bullied or bullies. I don't really fall into either category. Even so, that leaves me in a difficult position. Invisible. I don't fit in with any crowd. I guess it could be worse, but I'm not an optimistic person. As I close the door to my room, I stretch my arms and let myself fall onto my bed. A short nap sounded like the best possible thing right now. Just five or ten minutes, then my homework. It wasn't long before I drifted into sleep.

My dreamless sleep was interrupted by something poking at my cheek. With my eyes still closed, I rubbed away whatever was touching me. I didn't feel anything and put my hand back down. "Psst." Wait, did I hear something? And now something was poking my cheek again. I groaned and opened one of my eyes to see what was going on.

Another face was staring back at me.

I let out a scream and fell off the bed. I was awake now, that's for sure. "Yay! You're awake!" I rubbed my head and looked at the stranger sitting on my bed. A boy, a little younger than me, with... purple hair? "What the hell are you doing in my room?!" I snapped. He scratched the top of his head and looked at me quizzically. "I thought you'd be happy to see me." He looked sad. I really didn't care whether he was or not. Strangers in my room did not get sympathy. "Why, exactly, would you think that?" I crossed my arms and gave him the death stare. He leaned towards me. "You don't remember me?" Now he looked ready to cry. "Should I?" I asked. His eyes started to water and he burst into a fit of tears. Almost child-like. Intruder aside, it made me sad to see him like this, whoever he is.

I hear my door open. My mom peeked her head through the door. "Lily, you alright? I brought you your backpack." She looked in and saw me on the floor. She dropped the backpack inside the door. "Now, make sure to do your homework." My jaw dropped as she shut the door and headed back downstairs.

"Shouldn't she care that there's a strange boy on my bed?!" I asked to no one. "No." The boy answered even though the question wasn't really aimed towards him. His answer made me curious. "Why's that?" He rubbed away his tears from earlier. "Since you are the only one who sees me. I'm your imaginary friend."

There were a few seconds of silence as he stared at me, and I stared back with my jaw dropped.

"WHAT?!"

I know it ends questionably, but it's supposed to be kinda open to possible shenanigans that the two could go through. Comments and critique are appreciated.

Grapefruit Wannabe
One day I will be a grapefruit!

Old 09-13-2014, 03:25 AM

I love the realism of the of this story. I'm wondering if this MC has tried to defend those bullied and has tried to bully and both attempts were ignored.

The imaginary friend is cute, I'm curious as to why he's aware he's an imaginary friend.

Please continue I would love to read more!