Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
A group of red skinned Dezetras danced around a large fire dressed only in loincloths and breastbands. The clothing was as much ceremonial as it was practical against the combined heat of the fire and the desert. Flickering lights cause by the dancing flames and the shadows of the ceremonial motions reflected off of marble surfaces, seeming to expand the size of the room. The fire was in the center of an enormous temple made all of marble, one of the rarest building materials on Suki. An altar stood at the front of the room where a large statue of a Goddess sat in a tree of palm. She had long flowing hair that seemed to sweep around her in every direction. Her clothes of the traditional dancer garb that settled on her marble skin in contrast to her wild hair. She was [name] the goddess of dance and fortune for the Dezetras.

A priestess of [name] stepped forward from this altar as the ceremonial dance came to a close, all arms outstretched towards the ceiling, feet still moving in a noiseless weight shift from one foot to the other on the balls of the feet. Unlike the dancers, the priest wore clothes like that of her goddess.

"Goddess [name]!" The priestess suddenly called out as she reached the fire, and all movement in the room but the flames itself stopped. "Sonja of the southern tribe, one of our best star readers has read that it is time. It is time for your prophecy foretold so many years ago by your greatest voice to take place. We wish to pray to you that all goes well. That the ones that you have graced with your touch stay safe to do as you wish of them. We thank you for your attention. We thank you for caring what happens to us mere mortals. Your grace and wisdom awe us to your service."

The priestess' words echoed off the walls for brief moments, fading out the door into the sandy world of Dezetra. Suddenly the flames turned a bright blue and everyone in the temple fell to their knees pressing their foreheads to the floor.

A voice that seemed to only whisper like a soft breeze, but roared in their ears like a sandstorm at the same time, emanated from the depths of the fire. "When the one who reigns in blood sits on the throne, a moonstream twined with silver glow will rise to halt the flow. Twin siblings lost in time will rise to meet the moon and walk with him against the current. A Shadow watches from above prepared to claim that which is in chaos."

The words continued to ripple in the listners' ears like the cool depths of an oasis as the fire began to fade to its normal color. As the last touch of blue began to fade, the voice had one last thing to say.

"It is time."
I'm working on this poly god/dess world in my nano. And... well.. not having a religion where I have to make up prayers myself, I'm just .. incredibly confused on what to do in religious scenes.

I'm hoping for some advice here on if it sounds like a proper prophecy. If it sounds like prayers should. If I have the ceremony sound like it actually makes sense.

I know the wording of some things isn't perfect, this is the first draft. It's more... the subject than the delivery that I'm worried about. I think?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 PM

Things about fiction is, you can nearly make up anything you want. Prophecy could be 'proper' or 'improper'.
I think, before that, you need to identify what YOU want to achieve. What do you mean by proper? Maybe if you use a much precise description like eerie, gentle, mysterious... compare to proper... hmm, proper is quite subjective to pinpoint.
eg. If you go for eerie. just make that scene a horror snippet for that prophecy part. light out, mist appear, scary echoes... etc.
or if you want mysterious, break the sentence, put them in codes/riddles.
For rituals and prayers, there are quite a lot of religions, and there must be variety of styles. I think you shouldn't be restricted to a box. You have to first satisfied your story intention.

That being said, if your intention is to model after an existing/existed religion. Then it is much easier, search the internet?
So far, I see there are two way, you either reference other people or make up yourself base on your story needs.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 AM

Sorry if this comes a bit late for an opinion.
I think the scene is captivating though. The prayer is built well enough and the ceremony sounds similar to something I'd imagine happening in such a world. It helps to pull on real religions for inspiration, that way the story feels grounded somewhere reasonable and relatable. But otherwise you can go pretty far away from anything real and it still feel 'real' to the readers.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-15-2014, 02:38 AM

i need to look up religions i think.. and figure out how ceremonies go >.<

i want it to feel as real as possible.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 AM

You should do that then. I was reminded of tribal practices maybe within Africa or native american tribes at first, then it switches and feels more Greek. Mixing and matching is fun.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 12-15-2014, 02:57 PM

To make things feel real, you just have to find meaning behind everything you do.
Why they do this? when do they have this ritual? WHo would be performing? how many people are involve? Where is the ritual held?
The more meaning you have for each action, it will become more solid.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 AM

*takes notes* okay.. now that nano is over i've got loads of times to work out kinks.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 AM

Time is great! I'm sure you'll develop something wonderful.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 12-16-2014, 02:26 PM

I like the name Dezetra, by the way. XD

People around me do not share the same passion as me. Pity.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 AM

i'm probably going to be using the questions you asked as part of my research if that helps Xuv. :3

and i'm so glad Dezetra is liked!!! hubby looks at me funny when i tell him the names i come up with.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Remember the logic of 1 Husband 5 Wives.
How. When, Who, What, Where, Why. *wink*
Can still remember how enlighten I was when first told about that. *.*!

Shadamimi likes to make up names?
I love making up names. My fantasy piece all use created names, and wow I need so many of them.
Place names, era names, titles, surnames, firstname...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-23-2014, 02:54 PM

i make up names and words alot... >.>

and i have not once heard it called the 1 hubby 5 wives thing o.o

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 12-25-2014, 01:40 PM

lol. It is just easy to remember the questions you can ask.

We need to chat more about making up names and words. <33

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 AM

i have a thing for X's and k's for some reason. no idea why.

and i like to take random words. like... i dodn't know. vacuum , than i'll write it backwards Muucav. and see how i like that. tweak something a bit. Muscavi. And ta dah! that's what I do....

(basically how does my brain try to pronounce it at first. and what slight tweak would make it sound cooler)

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM

I see, anagram. Very convenient.