Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 PM

Not tasting good? Do you follow the exact recipe? Stove top recipes can be fudged here and there, but with baking it usually needs to be very precise to come out correctly. As for melting together, just cut 'em apart when they're still hot. They'll have a straight edge, but who cares.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM

It's not that they don't "taste good", I just don't typically like the way they taste. They don't taste as good as the pre-made cookies, in my opinion. And I know it's nothing I'm doing to kill the flavor, because my grandma follows the recipes too and I don't like her either, lol. She makes them for my husband for Christmas every year and he pretends to love them. Though he doesn't like the flavor either. Also, I'm awful with precise. I allwaaayy mess up recipes. Never fails.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 AM

You prefer store-bought cookies? Either your recipe is bad or you're nuts! I can give you my cookie recipe if you'd care to try another. It's so good that I've never bothered to try another recipe - all others are inferior. And it calls for butter flavored crisco of all things! Not even real butter! But it's the best cookie recipe ever. I don't understand. I don't question it. I just worship the recipe.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 AM

You know what? I'm totally willing to give the recipe a try. I'd love to be able to say, "I made those! Like really made those!" I'm a mom after all. I should have a good cookie recipe up my sleeve. But I suuucckkk. Lol

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 AM

Sure thing!

Ultimate Cookie RecipeX

Quote:
* 3/4 cup (3/4 stick) butter flavor or regular Crisco
* 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
* 2 tbsp milk
* 1 tbsp vanilla
* 1 egg
* 1 3/4 cup flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 3/4 tsp baking soda
* 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips into bowl and mix, then mix in chocolate chips. Put on a sheet and back 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, 11-13 for crisp.*

* I've never made them crisp, so I can't personally vouch for that time.

ALSO if you want to make it lower calorie version, I usually substitute in splenda brown sugar. For that, use 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp splenda brown sugar, and cut down the flour to only 1 1/4c.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 AM

I do prefer low cal and I LOVE soft cookies. Don't even offer me a crunchy cookie. Lol I'll give this a try! Let me tell you, it's been like nine years since I've tried to make my own cookies, lol. Let's hope I don't end up back here when I'm done.

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Fooooood <3333

I love, love, love baking... Unfortunately, my recent venture was a total fail - and I didn't take an image D: They were macaroons, which were SOOOO bad. I decided to save some money, and buy cheap peanuts - grind those into a powder, and use them instead of paying for super expensive almond flour. Long story short, they were horrid. It gives me shivers, and they went straight in the rubbish bin... I don't have an electric beater, so I beat them with my hand for two hours!!! It was heart breaking :P

Anyhoo, this was my attempt at oreo cupcakes, they were a success for the most part.
But I completely suck, at figuring out icing quantities that don't make people diabetic/sugar sick xD;;

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 AM

Poppet - The recipe is so simple, I don't anticipate you'll have any trouble with it. But if you do, just let me know and I'll try to help! The way the recipe is originally written, it wants you to combine all the ingredients in a specific order... but that's crap, I've done it both ways and it makes no difference at all, so I just throw things in in whatever order I want. Makes it a lot simpler! I only specified adding the chocolate chips in last because that makes mixing easier.

Nivvy - Oh dear, yeah, I imagine ground peanuts would be nothing like almond flour. @_@ Those oreo cupcakes look great, though! And I'd totally recommend investing in an electric mixer. I have one and it makes my baking life 100x times easier. Especially when it comes to peanut butter cookies, since the dough for those is soooo thick. I'd kill my arm trying to mix those manually!

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 AM

Omg at those oreo cupcakes! But beating for two hours!? I don't have the patience for that. No way no how. Well, maybe I could sit on the couch and watch a movie while I did it, but I don't think my three year old would ever allow that, lol.

I'm craving cookie dough right now thanks to Cherry.

This thread is going to kill me.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Quick! Run to the store for ingredients! Late night cookies!*

* assuming you live in north america. If you don't, then... whatever time of day it is for you.

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post

Nivvy - Oh dear, yeah, I imagine ground peanuts would be nothing like almond flour. @_@ Those oreo cupcakes look great, though! And I'd totally recommend investing in an electric mixer. I have one and it makes my baking life 100x times easier. Especially when it comes to peanut butter cookies, since the dough for those is soooo thick. I'd kill my arm trying to mix those manually!
The recipe said you could use any nuts, but arghh, it must have been an April Fools joke or something bahaha. I'll never stray from almond flour again xD;; It was so horrible, I keep thinking I still have the taste in my mouth now D:

Hmm, looks like I have my christmas wish item haha. I only recommend hand whisking to people who have hulk arms. Hmmm, I might give that recipe you shared a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p o p p e t ♥ View Post
Omg at those oreo cupcakes! But beating for two hours!? I don't have the patience for that. No way no how. Well, maybe I could sit on the couch and watch a movie while I did it, but I don't think my three year old would ever allow that, lol.

I'm craving cookie dough right now thanks to Cherry.

This thread is going to kill me.
Ohh yeah, they were so delicious, and when you bit into them - the oreo inside looked really awesome. I'd recommend halving the amount of icing though, from what I have applied in that image though xD;; They were surprisingly easy to make, I'll have to try and remember where I got the recipe from D:

Yup, 2 hours! Now I can't look at a macaroon without dying a little inside lol

I want cookies too >: Looks like another trip to my fav website, for baking recipes

Last edited by Nivvy; 09-20-2013 at 06:14 AM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Hulk arms hmm? *flexes* Whomp whomp... I've no muscle, at all.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Well, if you ever give macaroons another go, I hope they go better for you! I've never tried them, personally, just seen lots of pretty pictures of them online.

Yeah, my boyfriend doesn't have an electric mixer, but we tend to do a lot of baking at his place. I just let him take care of the hand mixing and take over at the end when his arms are tired (and the dough is almost entirely mixed anyway ). We made cookies at my place a few weeks ago, though, and used my electric mixer... I think he fell in love with it a little bit. Maybe I should get him one for christmas.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Lols i love this thread. I gotta dig up some of my epic fails.
The most recent one was prob last year. Tried to do a gingerbread house for an event game.
Haha wow biggest fail ever. And what a waste of ingredients lol.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Roachi, I think that's the worst part. It's not so much the awful thing you're looking at in front of you, but just the huge waste of time, effort, and monies that mocks you.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 AM

Yup. It leaves you feeling quite deflated lmao.
OHH you know that gives me an idea for an event thread. Like how they have those cooking contests. Should have an epic fail thread :P

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 AM

Haha! I thought about that when I made this thread! I was like, man, too bad there isn't an event for this! Great minds think alike!

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 AM

Lols totally!
You should do it :)

Aganab
Butt

Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 AM

Once I ruined this amazing Toblerone muffins recipe by accidentally adding tapioca flour instead of baking powder. It had the word 'baking' on the package and I figured 'oh! it must be baking powder!' without even looking at it properly. The thing is, 'tapioca flour' was printed right there on the package as well, so it was kind of a stupid mistake. The muffins obviously didn't turn out well at all ^^'

hillary84
(・・^...
Penpal
Send a message via MSN to hillary84 Send a message via Yahoo to hillary84

Old 10-07-2013, 03:21 AM

I royally screwed up a cookie in a cup recipe. I accidently used powdered sugar instead of flour and it was a sticky mess. Never ever making it again for fear of messing up agian.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 AM

This is my epic fail gingerbread house, that ah.. completely fell in on me actually :P
Apparently i should have put up 1 wall and then waited for like 30 mins for it to dry before i put on the other one.
But yeah i'm too impatient for that haha.

`Rockstar
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 PM

oh man, i'm the worst at cooking.

When I was in junior high, I took a home ec class where we had different stations, doing things like laundry, cooking, baking, and other home ec-y type things. We had to make home-made oatmeal muffins. Mine came out looking fine, except when I offered people to eat them apparently they weren't that great...

My sister actually used one to sponge up water from our kitchen counter. I mean the full spectrum: soak the water up, squeeze the muffin to get the water out, and soak more water up. Repeat.

It turns out I can't make good home-made oatmeal muffins, but I have an otherwise hidden talent in the sponge making business.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM

I'm terrible at cooking in general. I just can't get it right.

One time I tried to make Boston Cream Pie. I couldn't get the cream to come out, and the cake was a mess. I tried three times in a row!

Every time I try to make cookies from scratch, they come out hard as a rock, and stick to the pan, and I rage as I try to get them off. One time, I actually threw one of the cookies and it didn't even shatter. Omg.

I will try again, now that I am using actual butter, not "buttery spread."
Butter is better for cooking, I have found.

I-Jojo
Want some Kawaii dust?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Okay so do you guys remember this "link" I made this last year and I thought that I would do an awesome job. And I would be eating cute bunnies..... But then there's reality "link" I made fat little monsters instead.

They were still good though. I had the idea to make them as cinnamon biscuits next time. XD

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Haha! I think yours are cute too though! Especially the fella with one eyeball fallen-off & lying next to him on the baking sheet.