A space adventure, featuring RueMarion21 and Mr Wink

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Name: Bram Josiah Amberden
• Mother: Darla Marie Amberden
• Father: Unknown

Physical Description:
• Hair: Dark Brown; Curly. Kept at shoulder length, but in a ponytail or bun.
• Skin color: Light Olive; Rarely tanned.
• Eye Color: Green-Hazel
• Weight: Athletic 170lbs
• Height: 5'11"
• Other: A Cyborg - His right arm is entirely mechanical due to an accident as a child (As well as several internal organs.) It is covered with a synthetic skin, which can be removed or replaced. The right side of his chest, from his arm, is scared in various places where skin graphs could not completely heal the skin. He also has an obvious scar on his upper lip; right side.

Sexual Orientation: Pansexual

Back Story:
Bram's family have been known for centuries as space nomads. A family group traveling across the cosmos to wherever they find enjoyable. Their cultural ideals of modesty and sexuality would be considered promiscuous to most other human cultures. It isn't uncommon for mothers to not know who the father is, let alone what species/race due to their richly mixed and welcoming family groups. Bram was born into one of these families.

At the age of 5, and on his way to a new planet with his mother and unit, a malfunction in their ship caused them to crash into the space station they were docking into for supplies and trade. Bram was seriously injured, along with many of the other passengers. The only way to save him was a costly surgery to replace limbs and organs with robotic parts. Due to the cost, his mother and several of his family members stayed behind on the space station to slowly pay off their debt to the government, which supplied them with Bram's life saving surgery.

There was where he grew up. Constantly looking out at the stars and wishing he wasn't so trapped.

Last edited by Mr Wink; 04-11-2012 at 12:05 AM..

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM

Name: Valon Balthazar Leotrim
• Mother: Enomwoyl Mi’Doto Leotrim
• Father: Admiral Zachariah Tyranious Leotrim

Physical Description:
• Hair: Auburn --> very long, he wears it in a braid...one of the traditions of his mother's people that he does honor.
• Skin color: Bronze →But much paler than his mother
• Eye Color: Inhuman Bright Green
• Weight: A Muscular 210
• Height:6’4”
• Other: Half breed → As a result he has slightly pointed ears, and long talon like finger nails. Valon likes to keep them files down, but they can be useful if he has to defend himself without a weapon.

Sexual Orientation: Pansexual

Mother’s Species: Kaftrigian- they are a cat like species with long pointed ears, talons, tails and markings similar to an earth tiger. They’re a reddish bronze color the markings are a lighter shade. They are a matriarchal society. A mostly peaceful race the Kaftrigian offered to teach and guide humanity as they traveled the stars.

Back Story:
Valon’s mother met his father during a battle where the Terrans and the Kaftrigians allies. She would remember the occasion with fondness as she told the story to her son. Zachariah Tyranious Leotrim had been the only man to ever stand up to the Kaftrigian. Her heart would belong to no other man.

Valon’s father was crippled and captured during the raid and Enomwoyl lead a team to save him. After they returned to earth Zachariah was promoted to admiral and given charge of a space station deep in the known universe. He gladly accepted and married Enomwoyl. Their first and only son, Valon was born on the station a year later.

He has spent his entire life on the station and was raised from his birth to be a space ship captain. Valon’s only friends were the myriad of children growing up on the space station.

Last edited by RueMarion21; 05-16-2012 at 04:55 AM..

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 AM

The large transport ship was in-route to the Alliance Space Station 3942-112, or as it was affectionately known to the locals the Valhalla. Very few travelers stayed on the station for more than a few weeks. The station’s main crew and their families made up most of the constant population. Some positions rotated out every few years, providing Valhalla with fresh blood. A group of fresh blood was arriving on the incoming transport as well as one of Valhalla’s token sons, Lieutenant First Class Valon Leotrim.

Valon was filled with excitement as he watched the stars winking though the endless black. He was coming home for the first time in the last four years. The soldier was looking forward to his mother’s home cooked meals, his father’s smile wrinkled face, and the constant thrum of the Valhalla’s engines. Most of all he was looking forward to seeing Bram.

He had missed his friend like an appendage. Leaving for the academy was one of the hardest decisions he ever had to make. The two had been inseparable as children, thicker than thieves and twice as crafty. Valon chuckled silently as he remembered how he and Bram had reprogrammed the food processors so they only made chocolate ice cream. They’d gotten so sick.

A small hologram of a skimpily dressed stewardess with bright green hair appeared in front of his face. “We will be arriving at The Valhalla in less than 5 minutes. Please prepare to dock; anyone with anything to declare please remember to have the items ready. Alliance Space Travel thanks you for your patronage.” Numerous audio tracks in different languages played throughout the cabin. Valon’s smile grew wider; he was almost home.

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 AM

Amidst the hums, whirs, and tinks of the engineering deck, a soft repetitive beep pierced through the steady rhythm of sound. A loud clang followed and a groan, as Bram rubbed his head and winced – being careful to move his head around the pipe this time instead of going through it. He took the antique watch in his hand and turned off the alarm, stood, and made his way across the deck.

There wasn't much time to get from engineering to the loading docks, so he didn't have time to wash – despite the occasion. The young man just wiped his hands on his already grungy pants, then used a cloth to brush away most of whatever was on his face. He would have to be presentable enough as he was. After all, he set his clock a little late, so there wasn't much time.

It was an occasion he had been getting more and more excited about as the date came closer. His childhood friend, one he always felt the closest to, was coming home after an endless amount of time at an academy. Being just kids at the time, they hadn't been great with keeping in touch after a while. Not that it stopped Bram from thinking back on their escapades around the space station. Well, most of those instances were Bram's idea and for whatever reason Valon had gone along with it. After his friend left, things got less interesting. He was ready to see him again. He, well, missed him terribly. The feeling only grew as he got older and the memories became harder to keep fresh.

If it wasn't for his own stubbornness, he probably could have seen him every day. The academy was for young students with intelligence, talent, and a willingness to learn. Bram was all of these. In fact, if it weren't for his issues with authority and order, he probably would have done well. Valon was the opposite. He was born and raised with a healthy sense of respect for those who were higher than him. Now that he was older, Bram was surprised the two of them were ever friends in the first place.

He wondered if the academy had changed his friend.

Bram had changed, certainly. He went from an clumsy, mischievous, kind of over weight boy with a mechanical arm. Now he was a mid ranking engineer with a mechanical arm, a fitter body, and a mischievous streak. Alright, so maybe he hadn't changed much from what he could tell. From the time he was a boy, to now, he still looked out into the vastness of space and yearned for something more in his heart. It felt as if his home was holding him back. That was what had changed. He had become restless for escape. Having the station guard chase him around just wasn't fun anymore.

As he stepped on to the loading bridge to join the flock of welcomers, he fixed his ponytail a bit. No need to look totally wretched. There were plenty of people there to bump into and fight his way towards the front. After all, quite a few of the children had left on this same craft to go to the academy. This would be the first time they had seen their family and friends in person for many years. Plus, the crew of the Valhalla were always curious to see any new comers to their ranks.

He could only guess at what Valon would look like now. At the first sign of auburn hair and bronze skin, he raised his hand up with the others to wave and greet his old friend.

“Oy, Valon!” he called out, a broad, crafty smile playing across his features.

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM

The ship slid smoothly into the dock. Valon could hear the his and thick thump as the air lock of the small transport ship sealed to the Valhalla. The officer waited patiently, though he was nearly bursting with excitement, letting other passengers exit the ship ahead of him and helping an older woman with her luggage.

He had learned so much in the academy and he had changed for the better. Gone was the wild and careless boy only worried about fun and adventure, Valon was an officer in the Alliance now, soon he would be captain like is father serving the government and protecting travelers from the pirate threat. He couldn’t think of anything better, except maybe if he could share the experience with Bram.

He was pulled from his thoughts when by the sound of someone yelling his name. Valon looked immediately spotting the curly brown hair and the hazel eyes.

“BRAM!” he yelled moving through the crowd quickly and scooping up his best friend in a hug. His height had shot up during his time at away he was a good head taller than his friend now. He pulled back after a moment to look his friend over. “You look wonderful! It’s so good to see you.”

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 AM

Bram grunted as he was pulled up into the hug. It felt like being crushed by a bear, he assumed. Still he laughed and returned the hug the best he could, patting his old friend on the back and looking up at him. His grinned cocked a little to the side as he replied," Me? I look like I've gone to hell and back! Look at you! You're huge! What the heck do they feed you at the academy?"

It was an honest question, really.

"Not that it isn't a good look for you," he joked and lead his friend out of the crowd so that others could continue their greetings. Stepping on to a quieter place on the deck, he looked back up at his friend, his smile a little more serious. The worry that was in his stomach at first seemed to be lifting. Valon hadn't changed much, from what he could tell. It put him at ease, for now.

"It really is good to see you. The Valhalla hasn't been the same without you around, you know. I've had to.. behave," he chuckled," Without you, running around the ship like a heathen just wasn't fun anymore."

He paused, suddenly not sure what to say, though he had quite a bit to. An awkwardness ran over him when he realized he was just sort of.. staring, and quickly continued. "I'm guessing you'll want to go and see your mum? We could.. catch up later? We have a lot to talk about now, I think."

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM

Valon smiled scratching the back of his head careful of his claws, but still slightly messing up his braid. “Yea, I guess my Kaftrigian genes finally kicked in. They couldn’t keep me in uniforms there for a while.” He spoke while following his friend to the quieter part of the deck.

He blushed slightly as Bram said he looked good. The half-Kaftrigian had always admired his friend, but he wasn’t stupid enough to act on those feelings. The man’s friendship was more important than any act of pleasure. Valon listened to Bram, his heart full of happiness for his friend. He had worried during his stay at the academy that Bram would leave Valhalla, or become like one of the thousand of lowlifes that haunted the lower decks. He could sense that there was something more that his friend wasn't telling him, something important. The thought slipped from his mind as the cyborg mentioned his mother.

“Of course it wasn’t fun without me. I wasn’t here to get you out of trouble if we got caught!” Valon let out a laugh patting his friend on the back. “No, but in all seriousness, Mum will have my head if I don’t go and see her. I got it why don’t I meet you on the observation deck in our favorite spot in about…” Valon checked Bram’s watch. “3 hours. That’ll give me enough time to talk to my parents and then you’ll have my undivided attention. Alright?”

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM

"I like the sound of undivided attention," he smirked. That was the truth. When the half-Kaftrigian had left, Bram hadn't been all that interested in anything besides friendship. Despite being older, he just hadn't been mentally there yet. That had changed. A lot. Among the lower decks, he may have had a little name for himself. You can take the space nomad out of space, but it seemed you could never separate them from what they really were at heart forever. Bram found Valon interesting in a way he hadn't before.

The engineer bit his bottom lip at the thought, then bowed his head a little," See you in three hours. Tell your mum I said hello."

With that, he gave the future captain a, maybe not quite friendly, squeeze on the arm and made his way to his quarters. He had plenty of time to clean himself up and worry endlessly about what he was going to say. After all, he'd been marking this day on his calendar for a long time. Now that it was finally here, well, he felt less prepared than he was expecting.

In fact, he found himself at their favorite spot much earlier than he was supposed to arrive. He sat cross legged on the floor, rather than pull up a seat for himself and just stared out into space. The stars twinkled in his eyes. Just far enough away, he could barely make out a speck he knew to be a planet and his heart ached. Not once, since he could remember, had he stepped foot on real, living soil.

The sound of footsteps behind him made his body jump a little. He hadn't realized how much of him was out there in the cosmos. Bram glanced over his shoulder and smiled - he didn't have to guess who was coming." Hello there Captain. Is that what I'm supposed to call you now?"

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 AM

Valon gave his friend one last bright smile, “I will. See ya!” He shouldered his bag with out another word and headed for his family’s apartment in the officiers housing wing. He rode the lift to the Admiral’s cabin the smile on his face growing wider by the second.

The half-Kaftrigian left the elevator the door to his childhood home in sight. It was unremarkable and the same as any other in the hall, accept for the small hand carved plaque his mother made to bless their home. He touched the old wood tracing the design; before he could knock the door slid open to unveil his mother in all her glory.

The Kaftrigian smiled widely revealing her slightly longer incisors. AS she threw her arms wide to welcome her son, the sleeve of her kimono like robe, her formal warrior garb. The female stood at nearly the same height as her son. “Hanzal’jk Metana*.” Valon opened his arms and sank into his mother’s embrace.

“Hanzal’jk Valon*.” Enomwoyl pulled back to get a good look at her son, holding both of Valon’s cheeks. She had tears of joy in her eyes as she lead her son into the house. “You look son. I have missed you grately. Come and rest.” She guided the young man to the couch taking the seat beside him. “Now, tell me everything.”
-----
An hour later he had helped his mother cook the evening meal and set the table . The door chime sounded and Admiral Zachariah Leotrim walked through. The large barrel chested man smiled broadly as he saluted his son, before pulling him into a hug. Dinner was a joyous affair, with Valon and his father swapping stories of the academy and the rich food filling their bellies.

He made his excuses a few minutes before he was to meet Bram. Valon left his parent’s cabin and raced towards the observation deck spotting his friend almost immediately. He laughed taking a seat by the cyborg, “Bram, I’m not captain yet…So what did you want to talk about?”

*Hello, Mother -->Kaftirgian

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 AM

"Captain enough in my eyes," he smiled, then looked forward again. Bram just couldn't find the words to express what he was thinking. After a long wait, everything felt like it was moving so fast. He had been planning this day for some time. Now it was here.. and for the first time he was terrified.

The cyborg fumbled with his hands and examined his mechanical one.

"Well.. I don't know how to really put it into words. It's more like a feeling. Like this.. urge or fire inside me that just keeps burning bigger and bigger. I can't-- Val, I can't do it anymore," he looked at his friend and gave a sad expression. So, apparently he was going to get right to the point. No catching up. Just business.

"I need to get out of here I need to go. I need to see the stars and the planets and feel real, running water," Bram bit his lip and glanced away, thinking his friend might find his idea stupid. "My family's debt is paid off. I have my adult synthetic parts. There was nothing keeping me here, except to see you again."

The engineer pushed himself up to his feet and continued to babble on, afraid that if he stopped he wouldn't go through with it. He pressed his hands against the observatory glass," I don't know who I am, Val. I don't know where I've come from or what I like. I feel like I'm trapped in his cage, where everyone dictates my likes and wishes and needs for me. My world revolves around fixing engines and machines.."

Bram looked over his shoulder at his friend," I honestly don't know who I am.. What I'm really like."

Quickly he scrambled down beside his companion again, a more excited expression on his young face. His voice lowered to just above a whisper, just in case anyone might over hear," I'm going to go. I want to leave and I have everything planned out. I want you to come with me. We can go and explore the universe together, you and I. Just like we used to talk about!"

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 AM

Valon listened to this friend, growing more worried by the moment. Bram looked miserable and he felt for his friend. The half-Kaftirgian kept his face passive and tired to assure his friend that everything was alright, when in fact it felt as if Valon’s world was falling apart.

Bram was leaving, not leaving the station…but leaving him, their friendship. Any ideas that the future captain had of them together vanished. Valon’s chest clenched in panic as the cyborg kept talking about traveling the stars, exploring…and he knew there was nothing he could do to stop his friend from leaving.

He tired to keep his face passive, but felt it falling to a frown when Bram returned to his side.

“I can’t just leave everything Bram! I’ve got to finish at the academy. I’ve made plans too. Before the season’s out I’ll have my own ship and crew, I can’t just give up everything I’ve work so hard to get.” Valon found himself getting angrier as he thought over what his friend was asking from him. “There are expectations I have to meet and promises that I have made. My parents have given everything for me to do this. I can’t just turn my back on all of them.”

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM

"Who cares about expectations and promises! Is all of this what you really want? To be cooped up and have your entire life dictated to? To pretend you have a say in your life, but in reality, it's everyone higher than you that really controls it?!" he asked, a little surprised at Valon's answer.

"What's so wrong with, with living for once? Without all of these rules and pecking order! You and I could actually be on the same terms for once," he paused, thinking over his words. He had a feeling he was just making his friend angrier the more he spoke," And.. I don't want to leave you behind."

"..Because if I stay here, you're just going to leave me behind anyway," he added. It was true. Bram would have to go to some sort of academy or have very special circumstances made for him to get anywhere near a vessel that Valon was the captain of. Not that he would want to go anyway. It would just be the same thing, different place.

"Please, Val, come with me. At least think about it?," he pleaded, wanting to be free, but not quite ready to go on his own yet. Carefully he reached out to grab the half-Kaftirgian's hand," I can't do it by myself.."

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 AM

Valon looked up at the stars, trying to figure out away to explain his situation. He had come tonight with a job offer for Bram, but now anything he could say was worthless. He shook his head, “Bram, try to undertand this is all I have ever wanted. I’ll have my own ship, a crew…you can’t ask me to choose. Please.”

The half-Kaftirgian could see his friend had made his decision a long time ago, there would be no negotiating with Bram. He pulled his hand out of Bram’s grabbing his shoulders. “I cannot come with you Bram, I can’t. So if you have to leave, then do it! Don’t use our friendship to make me abandon everything that defines me!”

He stood suddenly, his clawed fingers digging into his palms causing them to bleed. Valon didn’t know what else to say…this was the end, of everything.

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 AM

Bram stared, a little crestfallen, as his friend grabbed him by the shoulders and spoke a little.. harshly in his opinion. He stood up after him, feeling defeated and a little angry," I'm not using our friendship like that! I'm just asking you to at least think about it, Valon!"

"Be reasonable and just think about it, please! I just want you to come with me! Otherwise what am I to you? What will I be to you? It doesn't matter if I followed you around like a damned animal for the rest of my life, I'll still be what I am, Val! I'm a bastard son of nomads! I'm nothing but low deck scum to the people who so called "define" you and if things would have started out different between us, you would have thought the same of me as you do the rest of the people who work below your feet!"

"And don't try to deny that's the way you think about them, because it is! I'm one of them, Valon. I'm.. I'm not like you. I can't ever be," he calmed himself a little. Like a weight came off his chest after saying all that. He had known for quite some time were he stood on the pecking order of things. He wondered if the halfling was aware in the same way he was.

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 AM

“I’ve never treated you like that. I’d never treat you like that!” A low growl filtered through the air as Valon’s anger rose. “I have done nothing, but treat you like a brother our entire lives! I wouldn’t care if you had six heads and were born on the outer edges of Y’aknar. You’re my friend and that’s all that mattered.”

He could feel himself loosing the battle…Bram was going to leave. “You don’t have to run away just because of your heritage. Your not like the rest of them and you never were –“ Valon regretted the statement the moment it left his lips.

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 AM

The cyborg winced just slightly at the last retort. It hurt just enough, actually hearing those words from Valon's mouth instead of suspecting them. He wasn't quite sure why. Bram knew it wasn't exactly a secret, but having it confirmed instead of just some nasty rumor in the back of his mind pained him.

"And now I hope you understand what I mean," he spoke quietly and nodded his head to his long time, closest friend. "I am one of them Valon, whether you see me that way or not. And if I stay here or stay near you, I think it would just become more obvious as time went on. I'm not going to stick around to see the day when you agree, with everyone else, that I'm just a low life. I would rather live blissfully unaware, thank you."

With that, he blinked his eyes a few times and turned away, leaving the observatory and his friend. His plan hadn't gone exactly the way he wanted and he felt strangely empty. But, he wasn't staying. He couldn't anymore. Bram moved to a steady jog to make sure he was as far away from Valon as possible, just in case he decided to so some heroic, run after your friend silliness. There wasn't a going back. They both had made their decisions.

--------

Several hours later, he found himself looking down at his aging mother. She cupped his cheeks and kissed his forehead, then pressed hers against his. They took in a shared breath together, such was their custom for greetings and goodbyes. She wouldn't be coming with him, either. Now, young was gone from her once lovely face and time was catching up with her. She had married and was comfortable. Whatever Bram did, now that he was of age, had no reflection on her or brought her harm.

"Go, my little boy. And may the stars always guide you," she murmured and smiled proudly at her son. She had hoped he would leave someday. He had far too much spirit not to.

Without another word he left; made his way to the docking bay where emergency escape ships were held; filled it with the supplies and fuel he'd hidden away under the floor (being an engineer for the station did have it's advantages; stole the ship, forced it out of the bay --- setting off every single damn alarm in the Valhalla.

"Unauthorized access. Please return to dock," the pleasant automated voice greeted him.

He didn't reply, too busy concentrating on getting as far out of the station's reach before they could do anything about him. The most he supposed they could do now is try to talk him back, let him go.. or shoot him into nothingness.

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 AM

“Bram! BRAM!” Valon reached out to stop his friend from running away, but thought the better of it. Bram , just needed time to cool off...then they could talk and everything would work out. In his heart though the halfling knew their friendship was over. Tears started flowing down his cheeks as he started heading back to his parents house.

What had he done? He stopped and turned to look out to the stars. Maybe it was for the best. Valon needed to let the other mango, he had ruined their chance for happiness together anyways. He didn’t remember making his way from the observation deck, but when he finally cam back to himself he was standing in front of his parent’s door.

Walking in silently Valon fell into the couch, still trying to process everything. He couldn’t believe how their friendship of years had fallen apart in a matter of minutes.

The Half-Kaftrigain could remember the day the boys had sworn they would be friends forever. It had been one of their many imagination filled days. The two children had chased the other children all over the ship, pretending to be pirates. After nearly getting caught by the ship security personnel the boys had made their way to the observation deck under their favorite tree.
Valon had cut open his palm with a pocket knife; Bram doing the same pressed their hands together. They swore at that moment that they would be friends forever.
---------
That was how his mother found him hours later, tracing the small scar on his palm and letting silent tears run down his face. The woman had woken to get a drink and found the light in the sitting room still on.

“Valon, Betna'Sova*! What has happened?” Her tail twitched nervously as she approached her son taking him into her arms. Valon started to sob, gasping as the pain in his heart doubled.

“Metana…Bram is leaving…” He spent the better part of the next hour relating the whole experience to his mother, his regrets, fears and how he felt like he had failed the only person that would hold his heart. Then his anger at Bram for abandoning him.

When the man had finished he looked up to see a frown on his mother’s face. Valon was overwhelmed with surprise. “Metana**?”

She sighed taking both of his hands in his own, and looked up into her son’s eyes, “My son. I love you and I always will, but sometimes Valon you forget that the Goddess has purpose for all of us. You cannot force Bram to take another path. It is good to let him go. Take comfort that Bram will be happy.”

“Metana…” She pressed a finger to his lips, stopping him.

“The stars called to me once, just like Bram. If I had followed the path laid before me by others I would have never found your father.” She pressed a kiss to her son’s head, “The Goddess is fickle, but he may yet return to you one day Valon. Have faith.” She pulled him into her arms again laying his head on her shoulder, her tail wrapping itself around his wrist. The female Kaftrigian comforted her kitten, and prayed to the Goddess for the young men.
------
Peace had finally started to return to Valon’s heart when his father stormed into the sitting room finishing buttoning his jacket. His mother looked up at her husband. “What has happened Zachariah?”

“Enom…It seem’s Valon’s friend Bram has stolen a ship. The men have caught him in the tractor beam and are pulling him back in. I need to go to the bridge and help take care of this situation.” The Admiral turned to leave, heading for the door.

“Father, you need to let him go…please.” Valon rose from the couch stopping his father with a hand to his shoulder.

“Why? He’s broken the law…” Zachariah began only to be stopped as his son began to relate his tale.

“You must let the boy go Husband.” Enomwoyl had risen to join her husband beside her son.

“I cannot let the boy g-“

“I’ll pay for the ship father…” Valon started. His father looked unconvinced. “I have saved enough and will work for the Alliance to pay off the rest.” Zachariah nodded silently, proud of his son. The admiral walked to his com unit contacting the bridge.

“Lieutenant Myers, let the ship go.” Zachariah said through com.

“Sir?”

“You heard me solider! Release the tractor beam and let the ship go! So help me man if I have to repeat myself again!”

“Yes Sir. Releasing the ship now…Escape Ship 239-1 you are cleared for departure.” Valon smiled sadly knowing that he would now never see Bram again.

* Beloved son
** mother

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 AM

The entire craft jerked suddenly and he let out a gasp of surprise, clutching on to the controls for dear life. His heart began to beat rapidly and a bead of sweat rolled down his face. Still, he fought with all his might to escape the tractor beam. He wasn't going back. He couldn't go back! Bram was so close.. he could taste his freedom at the tip of his tongue.

Slowly, but surely, the small ship couldn't handle the power of the station and began going backwards. Angry, he ignored anyone that spoke to him over the com. Even the familiar voice of Valon's father wouldn't bring him to utter a word. Just as he slammed his fist against the back of his seat, a surprise touched his ears.

"Escape Ship 239-1 you are cleared for departure."

To put it plainly, Bram was utterly confused. The craft jerked a little once again as it was released and he just let it float about in the void. Was this a trick? The man shifted in his seat, then slowly reached for the controls. Tapping his fingers rapidly over the console, he slowly began moving forward.

And nothing happened. They were really letting him go.

Now, Bram was a smart man, but he could think of no reason why he would be let go other than.. The cyborg bit his lip again. A wave of sadness fell over him, a feeling he had been trying to control since he left the observatory. For a split second he thought perhaps he would go back.

No. He had to go.

With a light flick of his finger, he turned the com on and spoke with a voice unlike his own. He was free and so was his true self.. whatever that was. He hadn't figured that part out yet," Tell future-Captain Leotrim, to come catch me if he can."

The words may have sounded strange at the time.. and for quite a few years afterwards. It was as if he had disappeared from existence - just another drone in the drum beat of life. Then he began living up to those words. In context it was almost childish. A "I won't let you forget me" to his old friend, because a promise to be together forever was still a promise.

Bram had made a name for himself. In the distances of space, Captain Bram Amberden, became wanted from the Karth'arl galaxy for impersonating a federal officer and making off with a Delta 9 Warship. It was small, but sturdy and quick, and very, very expensive. After taking care of that small business, his name and his crew began popping up all over the universe for everything from uprising riots, attacks and plundering on galaxy cruises, trafficking, and other crimes. On a few occasions, he was brought to justice, only to escape months later by creatively executed rescues or just pure luck. He wasn't the most famous by any means, but his name was well-known.. and that was enough.

"Catch me if you can," became his little joke with the fleet when they ran into one another. And deep down, somewhere, he hoped he would hear that Kaftrigain voice on the other end replying back.

"We're docked and ready to head off-deck, captain," a sultry voice echoed in his ear. Bram blinked out of his trance and looked to his first mate with a grin. She returned his, her lovely, huge saucer eyes rolling at him. The Drael, her kind were known as. Humanoid, but with eyes on average three times as large as a human's. Her long fingers tapped the steering wheel impatiently," Are you going to let us off, sir?"

"Can't a man pause for dramatic effect?" he chuckled, then called over the com of his ship," Everyone ashore. Try not to get arrested, into any fights, or piss off a Klarkian. We're just here for some rest and shopping everyone."

The crew below chuckled and began making their way off ship. They had come to a small planet, known for its trafficking of goods, their black market, and a place for information. It was a retreat for the lowest beasts and monsters of the universe to come together and somehow manage to not slaughter one another. And to Bram, it was just beautiful.

Stepping on to the platform and stretching, he sighed and breathed in the air. The smells of spices, oil, and who knows what of the market reached his senses and he coughed a little. His first laughed lightly.

"Try to follow your own rules, sir. I'll be getting a drink if you need me," she waved over her shoulder and moved into the flow of the crowd. Despite her already being gone, he raised his eyebrows and gave a small two-fingered salute before heading off to explore himself.

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM

“Tell future-Captain Leotrim, to come catch me if he can." That was the last thing Valon heard from his friend for twelve years.

The man moved on slowly returning to the academy and then accepting his position as Captain of the Maltese a year later. Valon was surprised to find after a while his friend was no longer constantly in his thoughts. Even reports of the notorious Captain Bram Amberden could shake him, from his path. He had also made a name for himself.

With time Valon was no longer the immature and fearful young man of his past. He stood tall before the vast expanse of space and led his men into the blackness.

Within the first year Captain Valon Leotrim had lead his men to discover two new planets, creating new treaties and adding to the Alliance’s power. He sailed all over the known galaxy arresting fugatives, and bringing war lords to justice. The Alliance constantly was holding Gala’s in his honor and sending him awards and honors. But none of it meant anything until he met Nathan.

The young biologist had literally fallen into his lap while Valon and his men were exploring a supposedly abandon planet. It wasn’t love at first sight by any means, but after the captain had saved the younger man from cannibalistic natives, a black hole couldn’t have torn the two apart. They spent a year first as collogues when Nathan joined his crew becoming the lead science officer. Then as lovers and after 6 months together Valon had knelt in front of the beloved man and asked the man to marry him. They were wed before the month was out, Valon’s mother performing the ceremony and binding the two men together.

The bliss lasted for two years. A month after their second wedding anniversary The Maltese was attacked. Valon had never faced an enemy so brutal, so merciless; the Klarkian warriors ran through the ship like a plague slaughtering all in their paths. Valon stood with his men and women fighting valiantly, but the battle was over within an hour. Over 70% of the crew was slaughtered and the rest were captured to be sold as slaves.

Among the dead was Valon’s beloved husband. The Klarkian Commander had taken the time to torture and murder the human in front of his mate before slitting the man’s throat, staining Valon’s already ruined uniform with the blood of his mate. Twelve Klarkian soldiers were dead at his hands before they could subdue him again.

The next six years of the young captain’s life would be that of a slave.
-------------
Valon sat near the back of his cell, the smell of unwashed slaves and filth hung heavy in the air. The large thick shock collar weighed heavy around his neck. It was a familiar weight; one that the Half-Kaftrigain had become accustom to after a few years under the lash. He was up for auction again, his last master using him to settle a gambling debt.

He had never stopped fighting through his imprisonment. The scares of numerous punishments littered his body, a particularly nasty scar ran from the base of his ear to his chest, leaving a thick line of tissue. The captain was long gone, replaced by the hollow shell of a man once known as Valon Leotrim.

From his cell Valon heard the tell-tale heavy foot steps of his masters followed by a lighter step. His powerful sense hearing told him that the second set of footsteps belonged to a noble of the area, to soft and graceful to be anyone else. A loud clang against the bars as the slave master hit the cage shocked him from his thoughts. “Stand Maggot! Present yourself.”

Valon glared then spat in the direction of the Klarkian, smiling when he heard the sound of his spittle connecting. The alien cursed then hit the button sending a shock down the slaves spine. Valon gritted his teeth, unwilling to give the bastard the satisfaction of hearing him scream. He gasped when the pain ended, trying to hold himself upright. “I said get up slave!”

The former-captain obeyed this time although slowly. He stood near the bars looking down at the floor in the required pose. Rich perfume filled his nostrils, Definitely a noble. Many were corrupt leaders of the planet and others politicians visiting the only planet in the system that still traded in flesh on a large scale.

“Exquisite…it’s a half breed Kaftrigian isn’t it?” A accented voice reached his ears.

“Yes milord.” The slaver answered. The noble hummed in plesure, before poking the underside of Valon’s chin.

“Show me your eyes slave.” Valon lifted his head ignoring the pain the man dug his cane into his neck. “Oh yes…you will do nicely.” The cane traveled down to his groin lifting his loin cloth and exposing his neither regions. The noble traced the object back up his stomach. It was too much, Valon ripped the cane from the man’s hands and broke the stick in half, throwing it back a the man. The noble laughed as Valon was punished with a painful shock bringing the slave to his knees.

The noble leaned forward, “You’ll receive more punishment than that, when you are mine…I will enjoy breaking you. Starting with a gelding I think.” The man turned away laughing. Valon lay on the dirty floor of his cell trying to move past the pain and hoping that the Goddess would let him die before he fell into the hands of that man.
----------
The auction of Slave #2215 was held with in the hour. Valon blinked at the sun, trying to adjust from the darkness in the slave hold. His hands were bound to his collar by a large chain, another set was attached to his feet preventing him from running. The slavers pushed and pulled him onto a large stage facing the out door market.

“Our next item up for bid is a Half breed male slave. A Kaftrigain…very rare ladies and gentlemen. Still young and strong, good teeth too. He has been used and is considered a fighter. Shall we start the bidding at 150 credits.” Valon noted that the auctioneer had started low. Hoping to get rid of his damaged hide quickly. “Ah yes, we have 150 from Lord Jeron, thank you sir do I hear 175, anyone…175?”

Valon could see the noble smirking at him, the man licked his lips, making the slave turn his gaze away as he scanned the crowd a head of beautiful dark chocolate curls caught his eye. He looked at the man’s face, Bram!

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Bram had decided to get a drink, or two, possibly three, himself and explore the market. He was quite enjoying himself. Touching all of the new weapons and gadgets. At his heart he was still an engineer, so looking over mechanical things was like watching a sporting event for others. Over the years he had rigged his cyborg arm into something more useful. The synthetic skin was gone and shiny brass replaced it. However, that side of the market was past the slave trade, an area he honestly detested.

His thoughts were that everyone should be free..

The call of "Kaftrigain" caught his buzzed attention and he twirled on his heel almost immediately. Looking over the man on stage, he took another swig of his drink and began to walk off. A few steps forward and the realization hit him. That was Valon. A very different Valon from what he remembered, but the same none-the-less.

Bram's attention shot back to the stage, his eyes wide with disbelief. At first, he thought about just going on his merry way, but.. He looked down at his fleshy hand, one rough scar still shining brightly across it. If you could say anything about the dear pirate captain, it was that he was loyal.

"I'll put-- 200 notes on the bastard!" he called out, slipping forward in the crowd rather clumsily. He was loyal.. and very drunk.

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Valon schooled his features to show nothing, even though his heart was racing. He had seen Bram, it didn’t mean the cyborg would help him, the man was a pirate after all…and Valon…Valon wasn’t the man he once was either.

Looking up again he saw that not only had the other man stopped once seeing him, but he was working his way into the crowd. Valon gasped softly his mask slipping for a moment as he heard Bram’s voice offer up 200 credits.

The auctioneer was nearly bouncing on his heels. “200 credits…do I hear 225!? 225 from Lord Jeron…250, 250? do I hear anyone for 250?”

The noble was watching the cyborg as well, he hadn’t missed the look the slave had given the other man. The slave would not be escaping him, Lord Jeron always got what he wanted. He made his way over to the slightly swaying man. “It would be wise for you to not waste your time, Pirate. I want this slave and I can afford to pay any price.”

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Bram swayed uneasily at the front of the crowd, then raised his drink to indicate he was bidding again," 300! Just to piss off my new friend here!" he called with the smuggest expression he could muster. Just then he noticed the Lord beside him. He took a long swig, then pointing the head of the bottle at him.

Tapping the tip rudely against his chest, he murmured," I have a lot more pocket change than you think, my lord. And if that doesn't work, I'll just raid your vessel later."

Grinning, he turned forward and took another sip. Fortunately for himself, he did have some extra money saved up. He most-likely didn't have anything close to what Lord Jeron was worth, but it wasn't anything to scoff at either. The second bit, well, he was joking there either. The excursion would be profitable in more ways than just a single, beaten, red-headed slave.

How he felt about said slave, he was keeping to himself. Despite his drunkenness, he wasn't completely stupid at the moment. On stage, however, the auctioneer could barely contain himself. There was a larger bid than he could have dreamed of," 300 credits! Do I hear 325? ...325?!"

RueMarion21
Hunter

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Valon watched the Lord threaten his…what was Bram? Friend?...with cold eyes. Be careful Bram…

Though he had never met him before today Valon knew Lord Jeron’s reputation from the other slaves. The man was especially cruel and violent toward his slaves. Lord Jeron was also known for killing anyone who apposed him…and on a backwater planet like this one, the Lord got away with it easily.

The Lord sneered at that vile cyborg. “500 credits! Beat that you filthy pirate.”

The auctioneer nearly passed out, no one had ever bid that much on a second rate slave. The greedy little man had seen the two men fighting over the man and decided to try and get more for the slave. “500! Do I hear 525!? Anyone 525!? For a specimen such as this no price is too low! Common gentlemen, 525?”

Mr Wink
Shut up, Wesley.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM

"700 credits!" he yelled, starting to get annoyed by the whole situation. Bram never liked dealing with seedy nobles. They were all spoiled and wicked. And coming from a dog pirate, that was saying something. The man's sneer and jeer only made him feel more sick.

Glancing sideways at Lord Jerson, he uttered," I'm not kidding about raiding your ship. I will have him, mind you, or my name isn't Bram Amberden. I'll enjoy seeing you sucked out an escape hatch into space.."

With those little words of encouragement he returned his eyes forward. They locked on to Valon like a torpedo to its target. Something in him was stirring, seeing his past almost naked and damaged before him. Just then, a soft voice belonging to his first mate whispered in his ear," What are you doing, captain?"

"700 credits to Captain Amberden! Do I hear 750?! First rate slave here!" he auctioneer could have fainted with delight.

"Buying a slave, what does it look like," he replied, not taking his eyes off Valon.
The woman's own large, gold eyes turned to the slave on stage, then back to her captain," I thought you said to stay out of trouble, love."

"Seems like trouble found me. Ready the crew and our vessel, my dear. We may have to leave a little early.."