Dreizehn
Void Walker

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Don't say sugar cookies, now I want one of those, too.

At Christmas parties, I'm always very conservative at dinner. I don't load up and stuff myself like a lot of people do, so a lot of people tease me about eating like a bird. What they don't notice is that I spend the rest of the night eating every type of cookie, brownie, and piece of chocolate at the desserts table.
This had me laughing. I tend to have to sample almost everything at Christmas parties so I can sympathize with what you were saying here.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM

Ferra - Yeah, those. They're so disgusting. One time as a little kid I got some ice cream with an actual cherry on top. I was so excited about it, I thought it would be so good, and then I ate it and it was just syrupy mush. Childhood dreams: crushed. </3

Cora - I didn't. I named myself after a song I like.

Dreizhen - Yep! And now that I'm vegetarian, there's usually very little that I can eat from the actual dinner selections, which makes the urge to sample from the desserts even stronger. Someone always makes these little cookies with a hershey's kiss stuck in the middle of it, and...

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 AM

oh, thats interesting. I've never heard it..... I always assumed you where just being random xP

my sister named an account "Hitlers Left Testicle" once.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 AM

Nope, it's from a Nirvana song, Pennyroyal Tea. He says it just after 2:20.

Well, he says "Cherry-flavored antacids." Clearly that's not my name anymore. I had kind of outgrown the name, but since I'm known as Cherry now, I wanted to keep that.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM

lols, its interesting where some people choose names from

Dreizehn
Void Walker

Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM

Cherry- I have a few friends that are strictly vegetarian. Despite more places slowly having more selections on menus to accommodate them, I still sometimes feel bad that there isn't more for them to choose from when we're out. So at parties I always try to contribute something that is vegetarian friendly. :]

Okay... Maybe that was all unnecessary chatter. Sorry about that.

Cora- Your sister's account name. That was ridiculous but great at the same time.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 AM

That's very considerate of you. Yeah, it's super hard to eat out when you're vegetarian. Especially if you're a bit strict about it, like I am. For me, it's not as simple as "don't eat meat," it's "don't eat anything that comes from a dead animal." So that includes gelatin (it's in a surprising amount of things), meat stock in soups, etc. Which also means that I can't have french fries at restaurants, since they fry chicken and such in the same oil they fry the fries in. So eating out is... basically not an option for me! I don't trust them to know how to keep the meal up to my standards.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Ferra - Yeah, those. They're so disgusting. One time as a little kid I got some ice cream with an actual cherry on top. I was so excited about it, I thought it would be so good, and then I ate it and it was just syrupy mush. Childhood dreams: crushed. </3
I feel your pain. :( Now that I stopped drinking soda, but taste buds are super sensitive to fake syrups that are added to drinks and such. Cherry flavor is often one of the worst since it's usually so sickly sweet. Melon is also a pretty common flavor here which is also usually sickeningly sweet. I tried "salty watermelon" soda by Pepsi that was released this summer and I ended up pouring most of it down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora Lorington View Post
lols, its interesting where some people choose names from
Yeah, I always find that interesting too. My username came from a list of Latin words I looked at when my book club group was trying to come up with a name many, many years ago. I think I added an extra "r" in there though. It supposedly meant "wild", but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've used it for a few of my characters too.

Dreizehn
Void Walker

Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
That's very considerate of you. Yeah, it's super hard to eat out when you're vegetarian. Especially if you're a bit strict about it, like I am. For me, it's not as simple as "don't eat meat," it's "don't eat anything that comes from a dead animal." So that includes gelatin (it's in a surprising amount of things), meat stock in soups, etc. Which also means that I can't have french fries at restaurants, since they fry chicken and such in the same oil they fry the fries in. So eating out is... basically not an option for me! I don't trust them to know how to keep the meal up to my standards.
Aw thank you. :]
It was interesting to see what foods are made with products that come from an animal. Some things even surprised me!
When you're that strict I can imagine it must be that much harder, but I have to say that your body must be much cleaner when compared to majority of people out there! Slowly it seems (at least where I live) that restaurants and establishments are making more of an effort to provide vegetarian dishes or options to meals. Which is really nice. Hopefully that continues to grow.

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 AM

An event hangout with Seiki?!?! :O
How cooool!! :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 AM

Ferra - Ah, yeah, I stopped eating sugary things back in my teens, and then everything was disgustingly sweet. I still don't like overly sugary things, but I've built up a bit of an immunity to sweetness in general. Mostly artificial sweeteners like splenda, real sugar still can be pretty gross to me.

Melon soda does sound interesting, though. Not... salty melon, though. oO

Dreizehn - Yeah, I remember reading that meat can be in your system for a really long time after eating it. I don't know how true that is, though. I still eat dairy and the occasional egg, so I'm not totally pure. And, well, there's "natural flavors" in things. God, I hate that. When "natural flavors" is on an ingredient list, it can mean something benign, or it can mean animal products, and they don't have to tell you. And those products can include... beaver.

Yeah, there's definitely a move to more vegetarian options in restaurants, but unfortunately that's largely in big cities where there are large veggie populations. Out here in the midwest there's not much. Oh well, I can't afford to eat out anyway!

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 AM

@Cherry: I don't mind normal sugar, it's the artificial stuff I can't stand. But that's mostly for drinks, since I tend to like even fake-tasting candy, especially cheap chocolate. XD What's wrong with me?

Melon soda was good at first since it was so novel, but now it just tastes grossly sweet. But I recommend trying it at least once.

Dreizehn
Void Walker

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Cherry- You have filled my daily quota of learning something new for the day. Beaver. Just wow. >.O;;

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM

Sick, isn't it?

Ferra - Yeah, doesn't sound like something I'd want every day, but I'd have to try it. I think that if I ever visited Japan, I'd consist solely on strangely (by American standards) flavored treats.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Really? That would make me so sick. (Although I do like sweets occasionally.) There are so many foods that I love here. But I suppose you'd be really limited since very few things are prepared with vegetarians in mind. Veggie soups tend to use meat stock, for example.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 AM

Well, no, not really, it'd make me sick too. I was just kidding.

Yeah, I probably couldn't visit Japan for that very reason. Reminds me of this scene from one of my favorite movies:

(They're in Ukraine)

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 10-01-2012 at 03:24 AM..

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Well, no, not really, it'd make me sick too. I was just kidding.

Yeah, I probably couldn't visit Japan for that very reason. Reminds me of this scene from one of my favorite movies:

(They're in Ukraine)
Oh poop, I can't watch it since I'm at work. XD I'll have to remember to watch it later.

I know several vegetarians have managed to live in Japan for several years, so I'm sure it's doable. And if you're in a big city, there are some restaurants that serve appropriate food, if you know where to look. Otherwise, you can make food at home I guess?

Aerinn
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 AM

*last minute pop in* Hello!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM

Hi, Aerinn!

Ferra - Oh, of course cooking at home is always an option. But if I was visiting, I wouldn't have a home to cook in. I'll just have steamed vegetables for the whole trip?

Well, the clip does have subtitles (I couldn't find a version that only had subtitles for the Ukrainian bits but not the English bits), but it's funnier when you know who's speaking what language, so you know who can't understand what. So yeah, when you get home. It's a really good movie.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Hi, Aerinn!

Ferra - Oh, of course cooking at home is always an option. But if I was visiting, I wouldn't have a home to cook in. I'll just have steamed vegetables for the whole trip?
Well I'd assume you'd be staying somewhere. XD It wouldn't be to hard to prepare some food wherever you're staying. Also, you can buy a lot of premade stuff at convenience stores or supermarkets which are bound to carry at least a few vegetarian friendly products. Put enough of them together and you could make a meal out of it. In any case, I'm sure you'd manage.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM

Well, I've never actually stayed in a hotel. Is it common for hotel rooms to have kitchens? I have no clue. I assumed they didn't, but I could be wrong. I'd be happy if I was, since not having one would suuuuck.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Well, I've never actually stayed in a hotel. Is it common for hotel rooms to have kitchens? I have no clue. I assumed they didn't, but I could be wrong. I'd be happy if I was, since not having one would suuuuck.
I've stayed at a few hotels with mini-kitchens in their rooms, but it's more expensive and probably only worth it if you plan to stay for longer than a few days. But that was in the US... I have a feeling it's not very common in Japan.

But hey, if you come up north you could stay at my place. I'd have no objections to you cooking food for the both of us. ;D

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM

In the US its not even that common.....only if you get the suites.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 AM

(Saw this discussion in the spy, so HI!) In New Zealand, if you get a kitchen, it's called a motel. Is that similar anywhere else?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Not in the us no. Motels are different here.