Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 AM

What do you plan on doing with them? It is really cool how you arranged them in those jars.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM

I'm not sure yet. It took me 5 years to make them all, so the jars were just for storage, but I like the way they look so they'll stay there for now.

I've been thinking about stringing them up with some beads to make wall art, or a door curtain, or maybe some kind of crazy mobile? Haha. Other suggestions gladly accepted.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM

I love the door curtain idea. :)

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Yeah, I like it too. Depending on how dense I want it to be, I'll probably need more cranes though, haha.

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 AM

Defintely like the door curtain idea. I'm sure you can use them to make garlands and that kind of thing.

Now you've given me some ideas... I'll have to look up crane origami... :P

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 AM

Sadly enough, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it this year for the first attempt at the craft challenge. :'(

NanoWrimo is right around the corner, plus along with some other stuff.

I will still keep trucking on though. After all, you never know. So what is everyone's status so far?

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Well, even if you don't make it to 25, you've still made a bunch of stuff this year. That's better than getting nothing done, and there is always next year's crafting. :3 I've found I tend to get a little better at these sort of challenges every year that I try them. It took me 4 years of slowly growing word-counts to finally win at NaNo.

I'm currently 1/3rd of the way done with my goal. My turnover is in April, so I've got 6 months to get the other 2/3rds done.

Last edited by Chexala; 11-01-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM

It took me a while too, but I did win nano last year. I'm hoping I can do it again this year (if everything stays relatively calm).

So, I won't be doing too much crafting in November (but I'll probably will since it's relaxing for me)

I do have some things (jewelry) that I could make that won't take quite as long, plus some more ruffle scarves.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM

I need to come update my post when I'm less busy. I've made quite a few things, I think.. I'm fiddling with NaNo too though, so who knows!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 AM

I have a lot of time for NaNo this year, for the first time in ages. I've got some work I have to do, but there is a lot of downtime when I have to stay near the computer to keep an eye on things, but don't have much else to do, so I can be writing then. Or making more paper cranes, 'cause why not? XD

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM

I thought I'd share this here in case anyone is interested. There's a craft blog, Craftaholics Anonymous, that does handmade gift exchanges through Elfster a couple times a year - you get paired up with another crafter and you each make each other something. I joined the last one and really enjoyed the experience. The next one is just now starting, and she's made a category for first-time folks to make it less intimidating. Anyhow here's a link to the post if it sounds like something you'd like to try: Craftaholics Anonymous® | Holiday 2013 Handmade Gift Exchange Sign Ups!

edit: The little crochet owls I made earlier in this thread were for the last gift exchange - my person loved them. <3 She made me some lovely flower hairpins and some Dr. Who notebooks.

Last edited by BellyButton; 11-02-2013 at 04:26 PM..

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Definitely a worthwhile project. Thanks for bringing it up!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM

If anyone winds up signing up we can brainstorm gift ideas here. :D I wondered about setting up something similar for Mene but I worried that there wouldn't be enough interest.. and then I got lazy.

I forgot to post my latest crochet thinger here (though some have already seen it in the pumpkin carving thread). I made a little pumpkin the other day. Not sure why exactly, but I'm sort-of kind-of making up a batch of prototype foodstuffs. In case I ever get off my butt and open an Etsy shop, or something? :)

Wittle punkinX

Quote:

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 03:10 AM

That is so cute! I could never get the hang of crochet. I don't know what it is, just can't get it.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 AM

Oh, wow... this looks like fun! I actually have a few projects planned over the next year... I'll have to start linking them and showing pictures! :3 I don't knit or crochet, I weave, but that counts, right?

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 AM

Everything counts! We'd love to have ya. :)

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

It'd be great to have you, Wyrmskyld. Just let me know when you are ready to post your list so I can add you.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-28-2013, 08:20 PM

I still need to update my post as it's sorely out of date, but, I think I found my next project! I have a LOT of yarn scraps these days.

How to Make a Choose-Your-Own-Design-Adventure Ornament (with Plastic Canvas!) « CraftyPod

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 11-29-2013, 04:23 AM

Don't worry, I've got to update mine too. Just had been so busy this past month. Keep meaning to, but keep forgetting, lol.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 AM

I almost went into Michael's today to get some plastic canvas circles, but then I remembered that everyone has gone completely mad-shopper & decided it would be better to go for a hike on the edge of town instead.

I'm going to try to mimic this pattern from CraftyPod somewhat, though, because it reminds me of winter here. Sunny with a little chill edging in. :)

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 AM

I'm going to start mine in January... Seems like a good time to start, and my back troubles should have cleared up enough by then that I can stand up long enough to accomplish things.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 PM

@BellyButton: I love those ornaments! I also have a ton of scrap yarn that I've been wanting to use up and this seems like a great project for that. Particularly since all my scrap yarn is cheap acrylic stuff, so I never want to use it for any kind of garments, because ew, that stuff is so scratchy!

I've been working on Christmas gifts for my family the past week-ish, so I'll have some new stuff to post soon. Right now I'm knitting a couple scarves, and I have more pocket warmers lined up. I'm also going to make a bunch of decorated hair combs for the ladies in my life: Link here.

That reminds me that I have a crafting Pinterest board that might be of interest to some of you: Crafting and Making. I also have boards for sewing, knitting/crochet, and a bunch of other stuff. :3

What with all the stuff I'm making for Christmas, I think I'm going to try to finish off my challenge by New Years. That way my crafting challenge will line up with my reading challenge. (I like it when things line up.)

Last edited by Chexala; 11-30-2013 at 11:48 PM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 AM

Sorry to hear you're having back trouble, Wyrmskyld. :(

Chexala, your Pinterest link is fab! I would like to try several of those projects. :) I like your hair combs too, very cute. I need to think of a couple more easily mailable things for my relatives as well. Can't believe it's already December-eve.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM

I made some stuff!

I made these for my gift exchange partner, who is into red, teal, black & white:

Felt bookmarksX

Just a long strip of felt with simple stitching around the edge w/embroidery floss & a metal flower embellishment. You put the plain end in the book and flop the decorated part over. :)

Felt heart paperclip thingersX

Saw this bookmark idea and thought I'd give it a try, but in reality a paperclip is kind of hard on pages so I dunno if they'll actually be used for that. Cute, anyway. Just cut a couple hearts from felt and stitch with embroidery floss. I added a teeny bit of stuffing as well.

Plastic Canvas Star Ornaments! :DX

I wanted round ones but the craft store was all out, so I thought I'd try what they did have instead. They are SO FUN to make! Just used scraps - acrylic yarn, embroidery floss, metallic cord, weird lumpy shiny yarn stuff I got at a yard sale. Tied a loop with cord to hang from. Backed with felt.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

Oh, forgot one! - Little felt holiday flower pin:

Last edited by BellyButton; 12-03-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 PM

Those are really good! I am with you on the paper clip ones. I'm not too keen on them myself, they do tend to be rough on pages.

Are you talking about the craft exchange that was mentioned earlier in the thread. If so, I participated in that myself. I should post pics on here. I made a couple of earrings, and one of the pairs also had a pendant to go with it.

Last edited by Roxxi Shiagami; 12-03-2013 at 11:58 PM..