Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 PM

When Princess Raylah Owntonin falls in love, the Kingdom should be overjoyed. But what will they think when they find out that her love is her bodyguard?

A roleplay for myself and ~Wild Spirit Wolf~:

Last edited by Silver Storm; 11-17-2013 at 04:44 PM..

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 AM

((Wolfie will get her profile up soon- tomorrow maybe.))

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM

(That if fine. I will do mine tonight or tomorrow.)

---------- Post added 11-18-2013 at 07:53 PM ----------

Name: Raylah Owntonin

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 AM

Name: Calcifer Night

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM

Raylah awoke and stretched, enjoying her bed still. Suddenly her eyes snapped open and she sat straight up. Today was her 21st birthday, which meant that now her father was really going to start to harass her about picking a husband. She groaned and flopped back against the pillows.

She wanted love, not just the best match. Her father never seemed to understand that. He had been asking her the last year, when she was going to choose a husband. Now he would probably begin parading out what he considered suitable matches.

With a sigh she climbed out of bed as the maid came bustling in. With the maid's help, she got dressed in a beautiful blue gown. The maid brushed her curly brown hair and then placed the delicate, gold crown on her head. Finally the maid stepped away and Raylah straightened her shoulders. With a deep breath, she turned and made her way towards the door to her room.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Calcifer Night stood outside his princess's room, where he always stood. It was his job, as her bodyguard, to be alert at all times. He slept in a small servant's room adjacent to hers, and he woke with the dawn to guard her door. There was a night guard, of course, but other than those few hours, Cal was the one to guard the princess with his life. He kept a close eye on the maid as she entered the room, not letting her through until he was sure it was safe. And when she left the room, he checked her again to make sure she had stolen nothing. He didn't truly suspect the maid, of course, but he had to check. She understood. Once that was done, Cal waited for his charge to exit her room.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 AM

Raylah opened the door and stepped out to find Calcifer Night, her bodyguard, waiting outside. She sighed and started down the castle corridor towards the great hall. It was time to eat which also meant putting up with her father's enquirers about a husband.

"Why can't he just understand," she mumbled to herself, shaking her head. The only thing her father saw in her future and worth was to marry well and produce heirs. She wanted more than that. She wanted love and romance. She wanted to ride horses and learn to sword fight. But her parents didn't seem to understand that.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 AM

Cal bowed slightly as the princess exited her room, and followed five steps behind her as she started walking. Five steps was a respectful distance, while still close enough to protect her in case of emergencies. Hearing her mumbled words, he raised an eyebrow. "Understand what, my princess?" He asked, already knowing she referred to her father. Though he always maintained his respectful standpoint, Cal had a relatively good friendship with the princess, and generally listened to whatever she needed to say. If he were to be honest, Cal would admit that he admired the princess- probably a bit more that was professionally appropriate. But he would not admit this to anyone, as even the thought was both ridiculous, and forbidden.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-24-2013, 05:10 AM

Raylah turned to Cal with a smile. He was always there to listen when she needed and she loved that. "I wish that he would understand that I want to marry for love, not just station and because it is expected of me. I mean is that such a crazy notion?" She asked, her sapphire blue eyes searching for an answer.

"Perhaps I am just a bad princess," she muttered. While many were gossiping about boys and planning parties and things of that nature, Raylah was sneaking out to the stables and taking off on the fastest and wildest horses, sneaking to the fields where the knights trained and watching and learning how to fight.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 AM

Calcifer tilted his head, as if considering her question, when really he already had an answer. "No, my princess, it is not crazy at all." He assured her. He wanted badly to place a hand on her shoulder, to reassure the young woman that she was right in her feelings, but his station, his training, everything he knew forbid such contact. He settled for words, instead. "Lady Raylah," He started, using her name to ensure she heard him. He only ever spoke her name when they were alone, and when he wanted to get a point across where touch wouldn't do. "You are not a bad princess. You are a strong, smart and beautiful young woman, and you have every right to feel the way you do. No one person can determine what makes a person good or bad at what they do. Everyone is different. You happen to have an adventurous streak, and a taste for the romantic. It is not a bad thing, it is not crazy. It is wonderful. The only bad thing in this situation is that you are forced to suppress these redeeming qualities. The tragety is that his highness cannot see your free spirit for the beautiful thing that it is." Cal stopped then, aware that he may have overstepped his boundaries. It was perhaps one of the longest speeches he had ever spoken to her, and he was left feeling curiously vulnerable, as if afraid she would get angry at him for being so familiar with her.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 AM

Raylah smiled at Cal's words, strangely warmed by them. "Thank you," she said earnestly. "At least you understand and for now that is enough."

She squared her shoulders, straightened her back and with a deep breath, continued on to the Great Hall. The King and Queen were already seated up on the dais eating when she entered. She halted a moment in the doorway as her father looked up and motioned her towards the table.

"What do you say, we slip away to the stables after this?" She whispered, barely moving her lips so no one would notice that she was speaking to Cal.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 AM

Cal gave a tiny smile and followed after his charge, feeling strangely happy that he had made her smile. As always, he entered the Great Hall moments after her, to show respect for the king and queen. Hearing her words, he gave a tiny, barely noticeable nod that only she would be able to see. Then he turned and bowed to the king and queen, not speaking or rising until he was instructed to do so.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 PM

"Ahh Raylah, there you are," her father the king said as she climbed the dais steps to join them. "I was beginning to wonder if some man had come and spirited you away in the night," he teased, though his eyes were serious. "Not that I would have minded, as long as he was suitable."

Here we go, Bridget thought with a shake of her head. "Only if he won my heart first," she answered out-loud, as she sat and the table and began eating her breakfast. She flinched, almost imperceptibly, when her father spoke up again.

"How about Lord Rainesley?" He asked. "He has been the champion of nearly every joust and is very well off."

"He is a cocky idiot in love with himself and his image," Bridget retorted harshly. Her father looked at her with displeasure, but continued on.

"Perhaps Havrigard, Duke of Dumbleton," the king suggested. "He is very wealthy with a wonderful home and lots of servants."

"And old enough to be my father," Bridget exclaimed aghast. She found herself no longer hungry and only picking at her food. When an aid came forward to speak with her father, Raylah, slipped from her chair and hurried lightly and quietly out of the Great Hall. She didn't even bother to look and see if Cal was following, as she made her way through the castle towards the entrance and the stables.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Naturally, Cal was following. He had had to work hard to keep quiet during that conversation. He was quite familiar with every person the king had suggested, and hated them almost as much as Raylah did. Coming up behind the princess, Cal cleared his throat so that she would know he was there. "Forgive me for speaking out of turn, princess, but it seems your father knows you less even than I do."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 AM

Raylah jumped when Cal spoke, having been inwardly fuming about the conversation with her father. "He is more concerned with making a great alliance than with my happiness," she muttered angrily. "Sometimes I feel more like a bargaining chip than a human being."

She walked out into the sunlit courtyard and made her way towards the stables on the other side. Her gait was long and fast, driven by the anger coursing through her body. She only began to relax and slow her gate when she entered the dimmer interior of the stables. She stopped and inhaled the scents of hay, leather and horses, before walking down the aisle. She looked into each stall, feeling like an excited child, as she tried to decide which horse to take out. She heard the gruff, bellowing neigh of a stallion and the hollow sound of hooves striking wood. She smiled at the sound and increased her pace, almost jogging down the aisle towards the source of the noice.

She came to a halt in front of the stall of a tall, muscular, bay charger. The stallion's eyes shone with fire and spirit and he reared, striking out at the air. A passing stable hand moved as far away from the charger's stallion as possible, as he passed, throwing frightened looks in the direction of the stallion's stall. Raylah grinned at the stallion, that twinkle in her eye that said she had found her horse to ride today.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 AM

Cal shook his head and sighed. "Your father loves you, princess. He simply does not know how to express it. He is more comfortable as a king than as a father." He said, trying to soothe her. "You are definitely a human being. I can see that." He added quietly, figuring she wouldn't hear him. After that, he followed in silence until they reached the stables. He watched with slight amusement as the princess chose the most spirited horse there, knowing that there was nothing he could do to dissuade her. "I only ask that you be careful, my princess. I don't want you getting hurt." He said, as he went to the stall where his own horse was kept. She was a magnificent dapple gray Mustang with a cheerful temper and a gentle nature. "Dawnstar, it has been too long. We are riding with the princess today." He said to the mare, patting her neck.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Raylah turned to a passing stable hand and asked him to saddle the bay for her. Fear filled his eyes as he looked at the stallion behind her and he backed several steps farther back away from the stall. "Can you bring me the saddle and bridle then?" she asked quietly. The stable hand nodded and hurried away, returning shortly with the necessary tack.

Rayah approached the stall as the stallion snorted and kicked the back of the stall. "Be calm Titan," Raylah commanded in a gentle, but very authoritatively tone. "If you want to get out and run; you are going to have to be good." She unlatched the stall door and slipped in before the stallion could bolt past her. Without taking her eyes off of the horse, she held her hand out to the stable hand for the saddle blanket. It took some time but Raylah was able to get the stallion saddled up.

"See?" Raylah said to the stable hand. "He is a good horse, you just need to know how to handle him." Raylah had heard the stories of stable hands and knights who had been thrown or narrowly hurt by the stallion. Her father held onto the stallion because he was from the best bloodlines around, but no one could seem to get a handle on him, except Raylah but her father didn't know that.

She gathered up the reins in her hands and unlatched the stall door, leading the dancing and prancing stallion outside. The stallion reared, with a loud neigh, as soon as he stepped into the sunlight. Raylah let the reins slide through her hands, grabbing just below the bit when the stallion came down again. She looked around for Cal, knowing that the moment she was in the saddle, Titan would want to be off.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 AM

After gently brushing her down and getting her saddled up, Cal brought Dawnstar out into the sun. He saw that Raylah was there with Titan already, so he hopped up into the saddle in one graceful, fluid motion. "We are ready, princess, whenever you wish to go." He said.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-01-2013, 04:31 AM

Raylah nodded and as soon as Titan stood still for a moment, she vaulted, unaided into his saddle. She touched her heels to the stallion's side and he leaped into a gallop, thundering out of the castle gate. Raylah crouched low over his neck, urging him on, as they flew through the village and out into the open. She aimed the stallion for the woods and his long strides ate up the distance rapidly.

Before she knew it, they were charged into the dimness of the woods. Titan flew soared over a fallen tree in the path, not even slowing a bit. They galloped down the trail that Raylah knew eventually came out on the field where the knights trained. Suddenly a horse and rider came thundering down the path towards her. The horse veered in front of Titan, making the stallion slide to a halt and Raylah, startled, flew over his head. She hit the ground hard, knocking the breath out of her body, but somehow managing to keep a grip on the reins.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM

Cal didn't hesitate. He spurred Dawnstar on instantly as Titan shot forward, the mare having no trouble keeping up. He allowed himself a slight smile as horse and rider merged and the wind flew through his hair. He never let down his guard, of course, and when Titan stopped abruptly and sent Raylah flying, Cal was off the saddle and at her side before Dawnstar had come to a full stop. "Princess, are you alright? Are you harmed?" He asked urgently, though there was no panic in his voice. Only professional concern, and, if one listened closely, a hint of personal worry as well. While still waiting for her answer, he turned his attention tot he horse and rider who had caused the accident. "You there, state your name and business. If the princess is harmed in any way, you will be held accountable!" He demanded.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Raylah couldn't answer as she struggled to try and believe. Having the breath knocked out of you was a terrifying feeling. She felt a large, velvety horse nose sniffing and nudging her.

"Woman shouldn't be out riding," the rider answered pompously. "Don't play like you don't know who I am," he said with a toss of his head. "Everyone knows the name of Lucien Rainesley," he continued. "Now if you will excuse me, I must be going." He roughly kicked his horse into a gallop and disappeared rapidly from sight.

Raylah grabbed Cal's arm, trying to draw his attention back to her. I am all right, she tried to say. Her mouth formed the words but as her breath hadn't come back yet, there was no sound. She closed her eyes, concentrating on relaxing and not panicking. With a gasp, she finally pulled in a breath.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Cal was ready to stand up and challenge the narcissist to a battle when he realized the name that was given, and managed to subdue his temper until the rider was far out of earshot. "What a pompous, self-centered ass!" He burst out, then seemed to remember who was sitting next to him. "Oh, princess, I'm sorry. Please excuse my language. Are you well?" He asked, embarrassed.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM

"Now you see why I don't want to marry him." Raylah said, still a little breathless. She sat up and flexed her arms and legs, feeling for any other injuries. "He is very much the pompous, self-centered ass," she said to Cal with a smile.

She moved to get to her feet and groaned. She may not be seriously hurt, but her body ached from hitting the ground. She looked up at the stallion at the end of the reins still clutched in her hands. He was happily chomping at any grass that he could reach. She smiled, but her smiled died and a wave of icy cold fear washed over her at the thought of what her father would do to the horse if he found out that the stallion had thrown her.

"Please don't tell my father that Titan threw me," she said, turning pleading blue eyes on Cal.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Cal raised an eyebrow at her rather unladylike use of profanity, but smiled. His princess could be as crass as any man, and he admired her for it. Glancing at the horse, who had been joined in grazing by his own mare, he grinned. "Why, princess, I don't believe I saw Titan throw you at all. No, what I saw was that another rider dashed in front of you, causing you to pull up short. Titan tripped a bit, and you slipped out of the saddle. It was not the horse's fault at all, nor was it yours. It was entirely the fault of an irresponsible rider who, for now, will remain nameless." He said coyly, giving her a meaningful glance.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 AM

Joy blossomed in Raylah's heart and without thought, she threw her arms around Cal. Suddenly realizing what she had done, Raylah pulled back in embarrassment. "I suppose that we should head back to the castle," Raylah said, though she still wanted to finish riding. She pulled up her knees, preparing to stand.