salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM

CoverGirl has recently announced their first male spokesperson!

His name is James Charles. He has over 400,000 subscribers on Instagram and will be promoting CoverGirl products on television, in magazines, in videos, and other outlets.

CoverGirl New Male Face Teen Makeup Artist Instagram

What are your thoughts on this achievement?

CookieMonstahh
Ohai~ o3o

Old 10-13-2016, 03:17 AM

Dude, that's awesome and hooo lee his eyebrows are on fleek.

I like that make-up on boys is becoming more trendy and stuff, it's all just a bunch of paint and art supplies made to go on our face to make us look more attractive or fancy, so why should girls be the only ones able to decorate their faces? People should be free to express themselves. Girls can shave their heads, so boys can wear make-up. And that's awesome of CoverGirl to have their first boy! C:

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM

I am very proud of Cover Girl. This young man is amazing with the make up and I hope he goes far.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-15-2016, 08:18 PM

This makes me wish I liked more cover girl products.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-16-2016, 01:02 AM

Sadly for most makeup I do Lush cause it's the only thing that doesn't make my face itch.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 PM

This is amazing!
He is seriously so talented with makeup. I almost couldn't believe that was him in some of those pictures...

@Kirin
Yeah, I'm the same way. I can only use certain make up products otherwise my face feels disgusting and dry and it itches. I usually just stick to using Sephora stuff because it's cruelty free plus they give free samples so I can try it for a few day and see if it itches before I commit to buying it.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 AM

I use Lush. Cruelty free and all natural.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 11-14-2016, 04:16 AM

oh I have been to Lush before. I think they have cool products

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 11-14-2016, 01:37 PM

I adore their products. My brother is getting some Lush beard care for Christmas.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 PM

I bought a Benefit eyeshadow kit the other day and he had done a promo video for it! I love his personality and I'm quite proud of beauty brands for supporting him.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM

His eye lashes are BEAUTIFUL!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 PM

I have no problem with boys wearing makeup, so please don't interpret this comment in that way. I just think, looking through his pictures, that's it looks fake...like a cartoon. But I noticed that with a lot of makeup these days. Like the Kardashian sisters. The whole contouring thing is crazy. It just looks plastered on their faces. I guess I just like a more subtle look...personal preference.

That being said...good for Cover girl for expanding to include others in their products!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 PM

I wish I could do my makeup like him.

Watery Star
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-25-2016, 05:40 AM

More power to him and good on CoverGirl for broadening their scope to include males.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
I have no problem with boys wearing makeup, so please don't interpret this comment in that way. I just think, looking through his pictures, that's it looks fake...like a cartoon. But I noticed that with a lot of makeup these days. Like the Kardashian sisters. The whole contouring thing is crazy. It just looks plastered on their faces. I guess I just like a more subtle look...personal preference.

That being said...good for Cover girl for expanding to include others in their products!
I prefer natural-looking makeup but some of the makeup styles look fun.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 AM

I've always been one to think that the idea of "gendered interests" is kind of absurd so hell yeah I'm into the idea of normalizing guys wearing makeup just because they want to. He looks great.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 AM

He looks better then I do.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 AM

alright, i'll be the one to ask "why?"

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-28-2016, 02:43 AM

Why what? This guys has talent with makeup. He deserves to be a Cover Girl.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 AM

i mean, why go the direction of using a male to promote something that has always been a women's product?

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 12-28-2016, 03:58 AM

Because there are guys out there these days that wear make up. Whether they are trans, or whatever. It's good that they have done this. Well my opinion anyways.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 AM

if they were trans, wouldn't that mean they were women anyway?
idk, call me old fashioned; i just don't see much reason for men to use covergirl. particularly not enough to use them for the advertising.

Red Lion

Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM

I also feel like they aren't really aiming this at men. They're not really expanding their make-up line to include more masculine or gender neutral styles of product. I guess I have mixed feelings on this?

One being, of course men can wear make-up, plenty of them do. But the products being used are still packaged and marketed towards women and being used in a typically "feminine" style. If I didn't know better I would have thought they'd gotten a drag queen and not thought twice about it. In a nutshell it feels like they're using a man as a model but not actually changing anything about the way they produce or sell their product.

"Boys can wear this too" is the message I'm getting which is all well and good but again, this still feels like their putting a women's product on a man rather than expanding to include more masculine or gender neutral styles.

I also feel like they picked the safest model they could for this. He's got a pretty face that goes well with a more traditionally feminine make-up style.

Now when we see this guy on a cover girl magazine, I'll be impressed with how diverse and inclusive they are.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8V_vOrgE5iQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by Red Lion; 12-28-2016 at 10:36 AM..

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lion View Post
also, all of this. we really need a "like" button.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 01-03-2017, 04:50 AM

I'm all for it but his look isn't so great in the commercials I've seen, it's not well balanced, some parts are more heavily made up than others... The still photo in the first post looks a lot better though I'm still not 100% on the eyebrows. I think I would like it better if we could see his hair, that way the eyebrows would have something to compliment, you know? It's his call to look how he wants though. I'm just injecting what I would probably prefer from a personal and imagined marketing standpoint, which is probably silly. From an overall buyer's standpoint I like it but I only use products that don't use animal ingredients so covergirl isn't getting my money anyway.

Red Lion

Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 AM

The more I think about this the more it bothers me.

Not that covergirl has a male model, honestly I don't care one way or another about that. But that they're getting so much praise and attention for basically saying "Boys can wear our products." in 2016-17 that kind of statement doesn't mean anything. Go on youtube, half the make-up gurus are male, men wearing make-up is not a new phenomenon. Maybe this is the first time a mainstream company has done this but the mainstream is always a little behind the times.

The fact of the matter is that cover-girl make-up is still sold and packaged as a women's product. Sure, now a guy is wearing it but the target audience is still women and maybe drag queens or people who are into super-feminine styles of make-up. Make-up is still technically a "gendered" product and this just feels like a half-assed grab at progressive brownie points.