Nariko
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Are you allowed to ask other Menewshans to critique your work before you submit it?

elanifave
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to elanifave

Old 12-24-2007, 02:16 AM

Okay, I'm almost positive this fits the rules. I've checked like, a dozen times.

Lani (aka elanifave) twisted her fingers up in her bright pink hair and bit her lip. It had been a long time since the last Christmas (a whole year, right?), and she couldn’t remember which decorations to use. Was it the scary flying witch that cackled when you passed it? Or the fuzzy rabbit that normally ended it’s showcasing by being ripped down and cuddled? After some careful thinking, Lani decided she would follow her neighbors’ leads and stick with lights, and reds and greens. She climbs the stairs to her small, damp attic, and begins to search through the boxes of decorations. The floating dust motes are visible in the bright afternoon light streaming the lonesome window. Just when she’s about to give up finding the right ornaments for her cozy little home, the lingering scent of pine trees and spilled hot chocolate mix with the smell of rotting cardboard, and she suddenly remembers what she needs. In her excitement she grins crookedly and jumps up, only to hit her head on the drying springtime daffodils hanging on a thick cord from the rafters. She makes a note to herself to put those with the rest of her flower collection soon as she dusts brittle, brown petals out of her hair. She grabs a couple of boxes and rushes down the steps to start decorating. Garland adorns every open archway and paned window, and glittery snowflakes hang from the ceiling by the time Lani is done. A tree covered in colorful, nerdy ornaments, like Star Wars PEZ dispensers and a miniature Rock â€Em Sock â€Em Robots toy, stands askance in a corner of the living room. Lani loves the smell of pine trees, and remembers (vaguely) great big Christmas trees cut fresh from the Menewshan forests when she was a child, but she didn’t have the heart to hurt a poor tree every year, and plastic is her sad replacement. She shrugs her shoulders and stretches her arms in the air before starting on her baking for tonight. Friends and family would be joining her in just a few hours, and she hadn’t started any cooking yet! She had a reputation for being forgetful, though, so no one would be too upset with her. By the time the first guest arrives (her parents, of course) most of the food has at least been started. Sparkling grape juice is opened and all the pairs of expected snow boots are drying by the front door when dinner is ready. The meat is a little underdone, the potatoes are cold, and everyone has refrigerated cookie dough for desert instead of real Christmas cookies, but (almost) no one grumbles about it. Christmas is a time of togetherness for Lani’s family, and it doesn’t matter what they are doing whenever they are together. There were a few laughs, however, at the four-leaf clover adorned table cover. Lani could never remember everything she needed to.

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 AM

Oh yay! A poem!
And more stories!! XD

I'm glad people have decided to enter. :D I'm enjoying reading everything!

I'll update the entry list tomorrow at work. I've got to go to bed here very shortly.

chibilady18
*^_^*

Old 12-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Once upon a time, there was a young girl named chibilady18 who lived in the beautiful land of Menewsha.

Chibilady was a kind but absent mined girl. And one day she decided to go for a walk into the fields of Menwesha to pick the beautiful flower known as the Daffodil.

So Chibilady put on her favorite blue outfit and headed out her front door only to find that her front yard was covered in a thick layer of cold, white, fluffy stuff that chibilady had never seen before.

"oh no!" Chibilady yelled in horror. "something awful has happened to my dear homeland! I must do all I can to cure the land of this evil spell!" and so chibilady set off on quest into the Menewshain mountains to see the Sage of Menewsha, in the hopes of helping her people and saving the land.

Chibilady had been travailing for what felt like forever, up the mountain she had climbed, and climbed until she came to a cliff with no bridge and no way across, Chibilady was just about to give up when a reindeer with a big red nose came by and asked chibilady why she looked so sad and chibilady said "I want to help my friends by stopping this evil white stuff but I have no way across the cliff" the reindeer looked up at chibilady and said "don't worry chibilady I know a way to the other side. all you need to do is go see the sugarploom fairy I'm sure she could help you!" So chibilady and her new reindeer friend Randy started off toward the sugarploom fairy's gingerbread house in the middle of the woods.

When chibilady arrived at the sugarploom fairy's house she smelled the most delightful smell she had ever smelt. It was so delightful infact that she forget why she had come and her and Randy were ushered into the house by an old lady in a toto who served them hot chocolate and winter cookies.

almost 12 day went by of chibilady and randy eating cookies before chibilady had the good fortune to ask what kind of cookies they were eating and when Sugarploom told her they were called winter cookies the unknown word reminded Chibilady of her quest and she explained to Sugarploom why she had come and suagerploom was so impressed that Chibilady had broken the spell of sugar that she gave chibi a magic PEZ dispenser so she could summon a fat elf dressed in red who's name was Nikkie Sin.

So chibilady went back to the cliff and summoned Nikkie Sin who put his finger to the side of his nose and made a bridge that looked like a chimney on its side and they all crossed the to the other side.

Once Chibilady and her band of jolly winter friends made it to the other side they headed right toward the Sage's cave. once there Chibilady asked the sage to lift the evil spell over the land but the sage responded that he could do nothing because it wasn't a spell, it was just winter, it happened every year. He then told Chibilady to stop pestering him every change of season and told her to go home before she got a cold and dropped dead in the snow.

THE END

clock
tick tock

Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 AM

I'll probably do an entry, I just have to decide if I want to make it funny or really sad. o.o

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'clockwork

I'll probably do an entry, I just have to decide if I want to make it funny or really sad. o.o
That's my dilemma as well... I'm in no mood to write something funny, even though I realise it might be best... I just really want to enter if I have the time ^^

Neyor
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Thank you for the entires, everyone! <3 I'm slowly adding them to the first page.

Unfortunately, Moonpie and Moofin, both of you have missed to mention one of the items that has to be in the poem. Feel free to edit your poems to mention the item you've missed and we'll add them to the entires. <3

Nariko; That is just fine. ^-^

Dearest; There's nothing that's "the best" to submit, a sad story can be entertaining as well. <3

We're looking forward to more entires! :D

clock
tick tock

Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM

@ Dearest ~ I know, I can't really think of anything funny
at the moment. xD I don't want to write something depressing
because it's almost Christmas and stuff. ;0

kitkat
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 PM

I will make a letter to juru... ;o;.... soonn... <3
hi clockwork... again.

Stop That
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Oh, so I sit here in my lovely hovel
Waiting for Christmas to pass.
But it's sad I'm allergic to everything.
Oh yes, even Outer Space.

I practically live in a bubble,
Unable to smell the aroma of a sweet Daffodil.
I am unable to wear cotton, so I wear a sterilized plastic suit.
I cannot breathe unpure oxygen, so I constantly wear a scuba mask.I am unable to eat cookies, so I must eat tasteless, yet nutrituous, astronaut food.

Oh the horrid tales of being allergic to everything.
Once at the store when I was young, I sneezed so hard I covered a whole shelf of candies and trinkets with a layer of snot so thick...
The dolls looked at me with amazing disgrace, and the toy flowers went out of bloom.
The PEZ Dispensers ran away, and the dollhouse fell down moaning "Doom".

I am also allergic to light, I cannot see half the time. I live in what resembles a cave, so dark and full of dank.
I once vomited on my precious schooner, and then the poor thing sank.
So much things in disrepair, so many things abound. Not one of the putrid things leaving my allergies unbound.
Sometimes I wish I could see myself right now. Unfortunately, I also am allergic to myself.
To gaze upon me shall make me ill, rotten like food left on a shelf.

People ask me, "Hey there, man. Why are you still so glad, and always sharp as a Knife?"
I simply reply, "The answer is simple. I'm not allergic to life"

So many things to keep me down, so many I'd enjoy.
To ponder these things brings out my glee, The Energy of a small boy.
Sometimes I am glad for my misfortune, although it keeps me down. It leaves me to wander and to imagine what life is like in town.

I'm glad I am sterile, and live in a bubble for one thing cannot strike me ill.
That would be the strike of a sickness, without knowing when it will.

It's kinda a poem, kinda a story.
I figured since we have Headphones on Menewsha, I could add in plastic suits.

AS obviously stated, its about the joy of a person being allergic to everything, and that he can never truly be sick when he is sick, or be stricken ill when he is ill.

Uhhh. Yeah. I don't think i forgot anything.

clock
tick tock

Old 12-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
I will make a letter to juru... ;o;.... soonn... <3
hi clockwork... again.

She's not giving out gifts anymore though. ;0

Hello. :]

Yumeh
(≚ᄌ≚)
NPC

Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 PM

*flops down by the fireplace*

Rasengan
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 11:37 PM

hello yumeh. would you like to take over mene with me? :twisted:

shoga
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-25-2007, 01:03 AM

The daffodils’ petals were gild with snow
Through frosted trees branches the winds did blow
Through the mountain peaks high and valley low
While Yumeh the cat sat by a fires warm glow

The gathering time was almost here
The rooms and people aglow with cheer
For the holiday season we all hold dear
But of what holiday it is, is not quite clear

Shoga pondered and thought he had to find
The reasons that people became so kind
When all the rest the year they seemed so blind
Was it all just an act, was it all just mimed

He saw it as he walked down Menewsha Lane
Corner after corner it was all the same
Brilliant smiles on faces normally quite plain
Inside their hearts burned the kindest of flame

The windows of stores held beauty and light
Toys on display were the prettiest of sights
Dolls and trains and books and some kites
A Pez dispenser Santa that flew into the night

He stopped at a cafe for an espresso and a snack
Took his cookie and coffee and went to the back
Sat at a table and began to mentally track
How people so generous could the rest of the year lack

Was it the chill in the air from the snow and the ice
Could that be the reason to make everyone nice
Could Jack Frost’s cool grip these feelings entice
Shoga pondered on this but it didn’t suffice

It just couldn’t just be only the ice and the cold
These feelings of giving and smiles so bold
Didn’t last through the winters long chilly hold
Maybe it was borrowed maybe it was sold

Maybe the cheer was just a drug in the food
Slipped in for people who ponder and brood
Not caring for others and acting quite rude
A facelift of sorts rather a change in attitude

He sipped on his coffee as he pondered the thought
There had to be a way to discover what he sought
To find if the feelings were more false than not
He stilled and looked down at the cookie he’d bought

The answers he sought were here on the table
He could find out if it was false if he was able
To bring the cookie to his lips his belief proven stable
Or to find that his thoughts were merely a fable

He picked up the cookie and started to bite
But then he realized that drugs couldn’t be right
Many things he had bought before this night
Yet he wasn’t affected by this strange kindness blight

What then could be the cause of it all
The feelings so big from the acts so small
Could religion be responsible for sounding the call
For rising the loving spire so lofty and tall

But not everyone out upon the cold darkened street
Could claim at one secular church they did meet
So once again round Shoga’s head did repeat
This milk of human kindness came from what teat

He finished his coffee and stood with a groan
The night grew much later it was time to go home
Soft snow had started falling while he sat in a zone
He wished he had spent his time lost in a tome

He grumbled and sighed as he walked out the door
Sad to be leaving the warmth of the quaint coffee store
His mind in a jumble his heart felt quite tore
For wonder when came the kindness at holiday’s lore

He absently put change in a bell ringing man’s pot
Helped an old man with some packages he bought
Flagged down a cab that a harried woman sought
And all this was done with nary a thought

He never did figure out from where the kindness had came
Whether drugs or climate or religion took blame
He may never realize that the result is the same
After all a rose is still a rose by any other name

Gad I suck at poety... Just thought I would give it a shot though. Let me know if I forgot something!

Thanks!

Caeluma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:22 AM

Caeluma's Poem

Title: Warm cookie in cold air

One snowy christmas morning
clouds filled the sky
until the sun peaked out
bright and warms the sky
bringing cheer to the day like a daffodil
as Caeluma walks outside
snow fell ever so gently
lading on my warm cooking
lacing it like icing
but only for a second
melt pretty snow flakes
as I brake open the warm cookie
steam pops out like candy from a PEZ despenser
Sweet snowy christmas morning in Menewsha.

elanifave
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to elanifave

Old 12-25-2007, 03:36 AM

Ohmigosh, I'm glad I don't have to judge this contest. I've liked every entry so far. I keep like, checking back to see if there's anything new, and I get super excited when there is.

Moofin
Deelish snack.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyor
Thank you for the entires, everyone! <3 I'm slowly adding them to the first page.

Unfortunately, Moonpie and Moofin, both of you have missed to mention one of the items that has to be in the poem. Feel free to edit your poems to mention the item you've missed and we'll add them to the entires. <3

Nariko; That is just fine. ^-^

Dearest; There's nothing that's "the best" to submit, a sad story can be entertaining as well. <3

We're looking forward to more entires! :D
I edited my poem.
:]]

Please check in case I missed anything else.
:]

Thanks for the tip <3

Neyor
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Yay, more entries! <33

Moofin; Everything seems to be there now, I'll add it to the entries soon. ^-^

Elanifave; Haha, yeah it's going to be difficult. :3

-pets Yumeh and wiggles off to add the entries-

Fiziali
Fizi, Fizgig, Fizpop, ...(insert...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:20 PM

*Huggles Sizzla*

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Not sure when I'll see you again, but hopefully it will be sooner than later :)

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch

Old 12-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Merry Christmas Fiz!!! <333 XD And a Happy New Year to you as well! I hope you get everything you want for Christmas. :D

I know! I'm never in B&C anymore, so I don't see you. :( I should really get back there...*sweatdrop*

I'll make more of an effort to at least post more often, for sure.

@everyone: Merry Christmas!!! XD

Woo! More entries! :D I can't wait to read them! Right now I'm on my mom's dialup, so I won't be here too long.

I'm debating closing entries on the 27th actually, since the event forum will probably be closed down. We shall see...

Moofin
Deelish snack.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 PM

:00
All of these poems and stories are really good.
i agree with elanifave.
It`s gonna be tough.
:]

Witch
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzla
Deadline for entries is January 2, 2008, 11:59 p.m. CST

• I have a question, is that end date correct?

I mean isn't this winter event supposed to end at 27th december?

if it's not a mistake of typing, is this mean the contest will continue even after the winter event ends?
    what will happen then?
    because won't this whole event's forum going to be moved and locked with other past events in the memorable events forum later?
    will the thread going to be moved on to other forum/sub-forum?

sorry for asking too many question. :P

Astromantic
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Astromantic Send a message via MSN to Astromantic

Old 12-25-2007, 11:43 PM

Heh, I've been working on my poem since I saw this thread, and I've been on writer's block this whole time. @ 0@;

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch

Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzla
Deadline for entries is January 2, 2008, 11:59 p.m. CST

• I have a question, is that end date correct?

I mean isn't this winter event supposed to end at 27th december?

if it's not a mistake of typing, is this mean the contest will continue even after the winter event ends?
    what will happen then?
    because won't this whole event's forum going to be moved and locked with other past events in the memorable events forum later?
    will the thread going to be moved on to other forum/sub-forum?

sorry for asking too many question. :P

No problem. I've answered your question on the front page, but I'll announce it here too.

Deadline for entries is Dec. 27, 2007, 5 p.m. CST (or whenever the event forum will be closed down, if it is before 5 p.m. CST)

Prizes will be awarded via PM, but we'll also post winners in this thread so you can see them even after the thread has been moved and locked.

I may also make an announcement in Community Discussion too, just so everyone will see it. :D

Any other questions?

I wasn't sure if this forum was going to stay open for the New Year's event, but it looks like it'll be closed down. That's why it was originally the 2nd.

Cami
(ó㉨ň)

Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Finally finished my entry. ^-^ I hope everyone enjoys it. Oh, and just to note (so I don't get disqualified) my avatar's name is Cami. /points at her sig/

Menwsha’s flurries have never felt as bitterly cold as the blizzards of elsewhere. The flakes flutter on the wind in a similar manner, dancing to the tune of an unheard carol, but here, their touch lacks the icy sting. Instead, the snow brushes against one’s cheek like the comforting caress of a loved one.

Cami sat on a low branch of an oak tree deep in the Menewshan forest, pondering the snow’s rapid descent. The flurries had continued for hours, turning the forest into a blur of white and brown. As she turned her head, taking in a panoramic of the winter scene, she caught sight of a color that didn’t belong – bright red.

Cami jumped off her branch into the snowdrifts below. By the time she hit the ground, the bit of branch she’d been keeping dry was no longer distinguishable.

Stuffing her hands in the pockets of her blue trench coat, she waded through the snow towards the bit of red. It faded in and out like a mirage. As she drew closer, she realized that the color belonged to a child’s snowsuit. The little girl’s skin was almost as white as the snow, and her brown hair blended in with the trees. As Cami watched, she scooped up a handful of snow and added it to a lopsided snowman the same height as her.

“Are you having fun?” Cami asked indifferently as she approached.

The little girl jumped, looking up at Cami with wide, wet eyes. “I… I’m lost,” she replied, wiping her nose with a frost-covered mitten. “I was hoping that if I made a good enough snowman, he’d come to life and take me home.” She looked at the still snowman beside her. “I guess I need a magic hat.”

“Oh.” Cami pulled a Frosty the Snowman pez dispenser out of her pocket. “Like him?”

The girl nodded, staring in wonder at the plastic snowman.

“Well, let’s see,” Cami said, approaching the snowman. She put the pez dispenser on top of the snowman’s head and pushed down until only the tiny hat was visible. She stepped back, and they watched the snowman, waiting for a sign of movement.

After a few minutes, Cami said, “It doesn’t appear to be working.”

The little girl slumped in disappointment, then turned to Cami. “Could you help me get home then?”

“I suppose that all depends on where you live,” Cami replied.

“It’s in the city,” the girl said, starting to speak quickly. “A yellow house with a wreath on the door, and flowers in the hallway, and my mom is probably baking cookies, and… and…”

Cami shook her head. “I don’t know where that is. I could offer you cookies though.” She pulled three cookies of different kinds out of her pocket. “Chocolate chip? Peanut butter? Oatmeal?”

The girl shook her head. “No,” she replied softly, her eyes filling with tears.

“Wreath?” Cami offered, pulling a small green and red ornament from her pocket. “Flowers?”

“That’s not even flowers!” the girl exclaimed, tears starting to fall. “It’s a paper bag!”

“Oh,” Cami said, looking at the bag in her hand. “My bad.” She turned it upside down and seeds fell from it to the ground. Immediately, small, yellow daffodils began popping out of the snow. A path of the bright flowers raced into the forest.

“That’s unusual,” Cami commented. “Perhaps you should try following them.”

“The girl looked uncertainly between Cami and the flowers. “Will they lead me home?” she asked, wiping her eyes.

Cami shrugged. “It’s certainly possible.”

“Okay.” She took a few steps along the path, then turned back. “Thank you.”

“Sure. Hey, actually.” Cami took off her coat and dropped it over the girl’s shoulders. It was much too long, but the girl wrapped it around herself. “Anything you need on the way, you should be able to find in the pockets.”

The girl nodded, then continued along the path, quickly disappearing among the trees.

“So, will it lead her home?” a disembodied voice asked from behind Cami.

“It’ll get her to town, at least,” Cami said, reaching deep into her pants’ pocket and pulling out another long coat to replace the one she’d given away. “Someone else can help her from there.”

“That’s quite a bit nicer than I’m used to you being.”

Cami walked away from the voice, her mind on another little girl crying in the woods – one that she saw both as an observer and from within. “I suppose I just have a soft spot for lost children.”

An unseasonal gust of fall leaves surrounded her, and then she was gone.