CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM

The Festival of Winter Nights 2010
Event FAQ & Information Center

Feeling confused about how the Festival of Winter Nights 2010 event works? Read on and hopefully your questions will all be answered! If not, please feel free to ask questions below!

But be warned - off-topic chatter will be removed from this thread, and deleted outright (meaning you lose gold for the post) if it's spammy enough!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the event end?
Winter Nights 2010 will end sometime on the evening of Sunday, January 2nd.

How do I participate in the event?/How do I earn event currency?
There is no event currency for this event. This is a very 'low-tech' event this year!

You participate in the event by posting in the event forum and hopefully entering the various contests or games that are stickied to the top of the Winter Nights Contests forum!

Are there event rares? How do I earn them?
Yes - there are event rares. The All Under the Holiday Tree shop contains just the event rares. You may purchase them directly for gold, but you can win one for free by participating in any of the stickied staff contests and games in the Contests forum.

Please note that after the event, the rares will be removed from the shops and discontinued, just like regular event rares.

There are also 'Caroling EIs' that you can learn more about in my next post.

I don't have enough time to participate in games/contests during the event and I don't have enough gold to buy them - that's not fair!
Sorry you feel that way! We did our best to figure out some non-coding way to distribute the rare items fairly, and this was the best solution we could come up with. Some of the site's charities/games will get a few extras to hand out as prizes after the event, so there is the possibility that you can earn them that way at your own pace.

Are there event commons?
Yes! Just head down to the Special Event Store. Not all of the commons will be available right away. This post will be edited when all of the event commons have been added to the shop. All in. :)

Please note that these items will be available after the event ends. However, they will be moved to different shops (for example - the Jolly Coats will be in the Wonderland Boutique) after the event for twice their current price (for example - if something cost 50 gold now, it would be 100 gold after the event ends).

Hey, isn't that event common a recolor of an existing common? / You missed a color!
Yep - that's true! Some of the event commons this year are edits or recolors of pre-existing commons. Last event we did the same thing and people mainly seemed to be enthusiastic about it, so we added a few more recolors as seemed appropriate.

If you feel we've 'missed' a color of an item, that may be the original color for the item. Check the regular shops. :)

Extra bit of layering info can be found HERE.

Last edited by BellyButton; 12-24-2010 at 05:42 PM..

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM

What is Caroling?

You may have noticed that the only other stickies in this forum besides this FAQ are Caroling threads! The NPCs are hosting little party threads where you can hang out and shoot the breeze with each other and the NPCs. They're also giving out little treats (and by that I mean a special Event Item (EI) - an item you can't purchase in stores) to those who come to carol to them.

But just what do you do, you may wonder.

How do I carol?
Visit the thread of the NPC you're wanting to carol. In the second post there should be a button that says "Get EI Item." Click it! If they're "home", the link will give you that NPC's caroling EI. It's not necessary to actually post a carol in the thread to receive the item, but you're welcome to do so! Just please remember to use [quote] [/quote] tags when posting lyrics you didn't write yourself.

How many items can I earn?
Though caroling is coded to grant up to one (1) caroling EI per NPC per 24 hours, it is also only set to activate when they are 'home' to listen to carolers. When the NPC is home you can collect 1 item from them each 24 hours, but don't try for more because they won't give you any!

Please remember that the NPCs are busy just like you are this holiday season, so there may be days where they can't get to their door to hear you sing to them. The NPCs each have their own differing schedules and some are also hosting events on the side, so they may be too busy to answer the door, even when they are able to make it online.

So'n'So is never home! How can I get their caroling EI?
Patience! And trying to figure out their schedule. The NPCs will do their best to leave a basic schedule in the third posts of their threads as soon as they know more or less when they'll be available to receive carolers. If you're simply not available at the hours they are, then perhaps someone else will be willing to trade with you.

Are the caroling items Special NPC Gifts (SNGs) or Event Items (EIs)? Will they be available in the future?
These are considered event items and will be discontinued after the event. Just like all rares, they may be available in limited quantities as prizes in contests, but will not be an item they hand out as an SNG.

Where do I get the I.O.U.? / Is Peeblo's "Yule Log" going to stay an I.O.U.?
The "I.O.U." slip is from Peeblo's Caroling EI. It will not change to an actual Yule Log in the future. Peeblo doesn't only prank people on April Fool's Day. :)

Last edited by BellyButton; 12-23-2010 at 06:40 PM..

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Event Item Previews

Homemade Angel (a)

Fun With Tinsel (a)

Old Jack Frost (a)

Holiday Wreath (a)

Butter Cookie Comforts (a)

The Caroling EIs (thumbnails below) are not multi-equip, but you can see how they might look on a dressed avatar in the Price Guide.

Mr. Mayor's Mulled Wine (a)
Vicky's Red Velvet Cupcake (a)
Cessy's Chocolate Coin (a)
Aimee's Eggnog (a)
Nalin's Holiday Cookie (a)
Magnus's Creamy Cappuccino (a)
Peeblo's Yule Log (a)
Lise's Gingerbread Man (a)

Last edited by BellyButton; 12-25-2010 at 12:31 AM..

angelyuy
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Yay event!~

However, I found a problem right away. I think. We get one item PER NPC a day right? I caroled for Mr. Mayor and got his EI, but both Vicki and Nalin gave me this message: You have reached the Maximum number of daily collections!

*confused*

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM

It's been fixed. :3

angelyuy
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Thank you!~ Love the items.

linapoo
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Woah. Am I seeing things? XD I had all of the EIs but then when I unequipped the "yule log" (cough) it..disappeared? And then I unequipped all of my current items, and now all of the EIs disappeared! o_o Is that ...normal? Lol.

*Kuu-chan*
*mewl*

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM

I am using IE 8, and I find that I have to click the EI buttons twice.
Not a big deal, justy thought you should know ;)

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linapoo View Post
Woah. Am I seeing things? XD I had all of the EIs but then when I unequipped the "yule log" (cough) it..disappeared? And then I unequipped all of my current items, and now all of the EIs disappeared! o_o Is that ...normal? Lol.
We're looking into this now. Hang in there!

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 PM

I know this is a silly question, but I can't seem to find the event rares. Will there be a separate shop for them?

RisikaFox
is bored... Amuse me? ^^

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM

@Lizzy: I was wondering the same thing. It sounds like it, but I haven't seen this "Winter Nights Shop" anywhere.

EDIT: Just noticed that the avatar preview for the Evergreen Merry Skirt shows Fawn Fluffy Wristwarmers.

Last edited by RisikaFox; 12-22-2010 at 09:57 PM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Event rares aren't out yet :)

----------

The people who's caroling EIs got eaten, I shall be PMing you in a mo :)

RisikaFox
is bored... Amuse me? ^^

Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info Jelly. I can't wait to see what the rares are. ^^

Kalium
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Kalium

Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Huh, I can't see the shops where the event rares are.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 PM

@ Kal - It's probably hidden... likely stocking it atm or something I'd think

cuppycake_geek
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 PM

So is the Npc item going to change each day or are they going to be the same everyday

Last edited by cuppycake_geek; 12-22-2010 at 11:12 PM..

linapoo
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the fix! But it seems I got an extra eggnog that I didn't have before? XDD I don't want to be a cheat pfft.

Ayreiya
*^_^*

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM

so are the event rares not out yet?

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 PM

Are the gifts you get from clicking the links the same as the caroling items?

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 PM

The NPC items that you get from clicking the links will all stay the same each day. The poor guys can't keep making you new things every time you visit! Those are the caroling items. :yes:

And no, I'm afraid that the event rares aren't out yet. But we'll keep you updated.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM

I wasn't asking if they'd change. I didn't expect them too. I just thought we had to go to their profiles and post a comment like we did during the Halloween event. Thanks.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Nope, NPCs will not be manually (through trades) handing out items this event. You see, handing them out manually takes tons of time. Just having their profile open for half an hour could result in three hours of sending out trades to users! Yikes! This meant that the NPCs had no time to interact with users in the forum and all available staff was tied up in helping the NPCs send out their goodies. :( So this time we have something automatic so that the NPCs and staff can participate in the event and you guys get your goodies right away instead of having to wait. :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 AM

So far I'm loving how you guys set up the caroling, and I'm glad you're giving us the option to purchase the EIs again this event. :3

The commons are really cute. My only compaint is there hasn't been any pretty dresses. I do love the fuzzy pompoms for your hair. Adorable! :heart:

ThyFaerieQueen
Chase the Morning, Yeild for Not...

Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 AM

OHH! Event! Yaay!! :) I'm happy now. <3