Ethos
til death do us part

Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 AM

A road weary-man walking along a young, exhausted gray and white spotted Appaloosa stallion slowly ambled over one of the last hills before entering Little Well. Patting his horse "Ferris" with one hand, Doctor F. C. Peters turned a tattered map over and around in his hand in attempt to get some bearings.

His journey westward and into a new life had been a brash choice; a choice he deeply regretted up to this point (and such feelings which were unlikely to change any time soon). With the sun overhead it was difficult to tell if the road had turned away from west, if the time of year had changed, or if he had moved so far south in his wanderings that he could no longer count on the sun being where it had been. Does that even happen? That's the sort of thing that a cattle herder would know, I suppose. I am doing well enough just knowing that the sun sets in the west. Small signs of civilization peaked over the tops of the hills surrounding Little Well, and with a sigh of relief Doctor Peters said "Oh, thank God."

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Lydia gave a short, tight smile to Ohanko and a nod to the young lady who was now addressing him. Her attempt at covertly resting was now completely blown and her only recourse was to push herself the entire rest of the way to the house no matter how heavy that bag became in her arms or who found their way across the path before her. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss, but I am afraid I must be on my way." She nodded to Rosemary and then to Silas with both an increasing stutter and hesitation. "M-mister... Kelly."

With a soft voice she excused herself once more from the three others and lugged the cooking flour off toward the east where she knew a table would be waiting to take the load away from her. Her naturally short gait kept her from moving quickly, and her racing mind kept her from taking in the world around her with the exception of what was before each foot fall. The weight of her burden, the heat and the tightness of her costume once again this time began to stumble not even half a block away from where she hard parted ways from the others and the small woman found her knees give way before she had time to steady herself on the railing of one of the shops.

Last edited by Mythos; 11-28-2013 at 06:51 AM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Silas tipped his hat to the schoolmarm as she stepped away, but his attention was focused on the painted lady in front of him. He chose his words carefully, trying to be diplomatic. "I wouldn't be too optimistic about finding the horses, though."

His attention was diverted from the conversation by a glimpse of something odd out the corner of his eye. He turned just in time to see Lydia fall to her knees, and darted to her side without thinking. He caught the bag of flour before she dropped it, holding it negligently in one hand while the other supported her by the elbow. "Miss Ivy! Are you ill? Do you need a doctor?"

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Miss Ivy shook her head carefully, doing her best to not add to any of the dizziness that was already getting the best of her. "No... I'm not. It's just heat sickness I think. It came on so fast..." She tried to pull herself up with the help of Silas' arm but it was slow going and shaky with the greater part of her strength vanquished by heat exhaustion. Educated as she was her mind was swimming with the confusion that accompanied the condition and found it difficult to come up with any other excuse to free herself from his help despite how much she knew she probably needed it at the moment.

Eventually she gave up on making an excuse and nodded her heavy head a few times, working up the energy to push out a few more words before her head fogged up too much with the sensation of being over-warm. "Could you? Could you help me get to the house. Just the porch. I just need to... porch. There's no doctor here." Miss Ivy panted and pushed her free hand at her face to wipe away the perspiration from her now extremely pale face.

Kilia
(^(エ)^)

Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM

"I reckon they are, by now." Rosemary said to him in reply as she looked distantly up at was left of her childhood home, the only thing really standing out was the ivy covered chimney. When he mentioned that he was fixing up the old Pearson place, she couldn't help but look back at him, thinking for a few minutes more. "I would appreciate that, save me a fortune on glass." she said to him as she nodded her head, her mind wandered, wondering what was going to happen to the place, considering her and Gabe used to play together growing up and she had reckoned her had a crush on her but it didn't matter anymore.

"Much obliged if you could do so. Though I doubt they be wearing any brand considering how long they been left behind." she said to him, nodding her head towards him, after all she appreciated what he was offering even though he was still rather busy with his own work. "Oh I apologize, my maw would tan my hide for my lack of manners. I am Rosemary Hunter. It was nice meeting you all....and sorry for interrupting." her lips tugged up in a smile to them, tilting her hat slightly to them, her red smile grew a bit more as she notice the teacher stutter. She seen many women act like that, and mostly to men that they had crushes on.

"I reckon not but i would still appreciate it all the same. I can always buy them back if need be." she said to him, before watching him dart away to the female whom seemed to be having some problems trying to make her way home. She could understand his concern, she took the water bag off her carriage, going over to the male and female as he handed the bag to them. "Here you go....this may be able to help. No worries it is just water.....you have this handle correct? If so I shall be moving on, she doesn't seem comfortable around me." she said to him, trying not to intrude to much, wanting to give them a chance to get to know each other, she gave a small wave as she went back to her carriage and the indian that she had left standing there.

"So shall we go survey the land or find out if it belongs to anyone at the moment?" she said to Ohanko as she smiled, looking around the town to see if she can spot the one building that can tell her about the land holdings.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 11-29-2013, 03:19 AM

"Thank you, Ms. Hunter. That will help." Silas nodded gratefully and offered the water bag to the teacher. "Here. Have a drink of water. Which way is your house?"

Silas bit his lip and looked around for someone to help. He knew how to deal with heat exhaustion-- and broken bones, cuts, scrapes, snakebites. Every ranch hand learned basic first aid skills as a matter of course, but he'd never expected to use them on a woman. Even if it hadn't been awkward, he wasn't certain the remedies he knew were appropriate for a delicate female.

Still, if there wasn't a doctor, he had to do the best he could. When Lydia took the canteen he fumbled with the knot that held the bandana around his neck. That accomplished he stood awkwardly, trying to figure out how to wet it while she was holding the canteen and he was holding her upright with one arm. "If... if we could wet this..."

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM

The path down the main drag of down had been near deserted compared to the hustle and bustle of Baltimore, but being somewhat oblivious and rather distracted with the desire to get out of the noon-time sun, Doctor Peters did not immediately notice Lydia or Silas in their predicament. Instead, he tied Ferris up to a shaded hitching post near Little Well's best advertised saloon (the one with the most recently painted sign). It was only as he was ambling to the doorway had he noticed that there was a young lady in distressed with her arm held up by a titan of a man looking bewildered. Pausing in his tracks, and blocking the door in and out of the saloon, Peters glanced around the street for a plank indicating the location of the town's doctor's office. He had heard that some places out west had to make do without the fine things in life, but no doctor? That'd be silly.

Walking back to Ferris and his pack, Peters took out his small black doctor's bag and started walking up to the pair in order to one, help in case the issue was medical in nature, and two, determine if Little Well was a place that he would be honor bound to stay in until another doctor could be found.

Last edited by Ethos; 11-30-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 12-01-2013, 05:27 AM

Lydia processed words slowly as the fog of her thoughts drifted from her discomfort to not choking on the water she was trying to drink down. She knew she shouldn't drink it all but how she wanted to... An extended moment passed before she relinquished the canteen to Silas with shaking hands and closed her eyes. "Just... just let me have a seat on this step, maybe." She breathed meekly. How embarrassing. A spell like this one happening to some poor defenseless school teacher out in the middle of everything just screamed talk-of-the-town for all those house wives she had known since taking up the position. It was a sure bet there would be question clear into next week-- especially with the cattleman tending to her.

She turned her head and saw the shadow of a much willowier man approaching with a bag. It had been a months since she had seen a doctor stop over in Little Well, generally folks that fancy didn't stick around that long, but it made clear exactly who he was and she was very relieved. "Well... call me a liar, Mr. Kelly, I believe... I believe we do have a doctor in Little Well."

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Silas cast an appraising eye over the newcomer, noting the fineness of the clothes under the signs of hard wear and the youth of the face beneath the layer of trail dust. The face said 'too young', but the black bag and the buttons on his coat sleeves were the hallmark of a doctor. And certainly the man looked too frail to be good for anything else. Possibly he was one of those few who had come out West for their health, although he lacked the usual spots of hectic color in his cheeks.

Truly, the young man was a puzzle, but Silas was willing to take him at face value, at least for now. Anything to ease the awkwardness of caring for an attractive young lady. He stood taller and unconsciously dropped into the accent of his Eastern education. It sat strangely with his rough clothing and callused hands. "The lady claims heat exhaustion, Doctor. She's probably correct, but I'm sure she'd appreciate a professional opinion."

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 AM

"Ah, er, yes... I am a medical professional." Peters said with his eyes focused on Lydia. Already his palms were starting to sweat and he could hear his pulse hasten in his ears. The young doctor knew that he would have to be as professional as possible if he was going to make his Little Well debut here. Why did it have to be a young lady? Of all people it just had to be a woman."You, um, said it was heat exhaustion...?" his voice trailed off as if he was going to say more as he turned to Silas in order to get a grip on the situation before he started stammering like a drunkard at midnight.

Without really waiting for an answer his mind quietly ticked through the common ailments and symptoms of heat exhaustion. Clearly she had lost her balance, dizziness. She had been sweating some, though maybe not profusely. She also had looked a little agitated, perhaps that was confusion or was there some argument he hadn't heard? Do country folk really always squabble over little land claims? Do people out here really have shoot outs at high noon? Why is high noon different from noon noon? His mind ambled on before he found sense enough to quickly move to drag Lydia away from the sunlight.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 AM

Silas helped the doctor shoo Lydia into the shade, mildly amused by the doctor's befuddlement. The man-- or perhaps boy was a better word, for he was very young despite the black bag-- appeared fairly competent once he was started. "She'd probably be better off inside. I'm sure the lady would rather not swoon out here where anyone can see her."

As if those words had been prophetic, familiar voices could be heard in the general store, growing louder as they neared the exit. The cowboy winced and straightened, turning toward his companions. "I'm sure you have everything in hand, Doctor. I should be getting to the Pearson place... we may have some work to make it liveable for the night."

He glanced over his shoulder at the store, then looked back and tipped his hat. "Ma'am. Doctor."

Silas strode toward the store, hoping to distance himself from them before Hank and Luke came out and started ribbing him-- or worse, making inappropriate comments about the schoolmarm.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 AM

Lydia frowned at the mention of swooning in public... that would have been perhaps the one thing more traumatizing than her current situation. "Y-yes, Doctor. Please?"

As she straightened up to stabilize on her feet a little better Silas excused himself and made for the shop across the way where the voices of his partners could clearly be heard. Lydia frowned some and looked toward the closest door she could escape into in case either of them decided to remind everyone the well established reputation of the average cowboy. "I'm really sorry about this inconvenience, Doctor. This might just be the hottest day it's been in years." Behind closed eyes she reprimanded herself for her choices which brought her into this situation again.

"There is a bench inside Mr. Blackwell's store here. It should be right for resting on."