Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM

How very strange. Hope something severe didn't happen to her. I tend to worry when people sort of vanish, like how Jennifer passed away. That sort of stuff you'll usually never know.

Gaia prospers because it feeds the beasts. They know the game. We've come onto an age where no one wants to work hard to get things, they would rather pay their way to get what they want. And those people are often very lazily earning that money even. Gaia pops out things for people to spend money on to get what they want, and keeps it interesting by always adding new things. They make so much money that they can easily afford to pay people to create and upkeep games and the like. Plus they have so little by means of rules, that it appeases the masses.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 PM

No, she didn't. As she was reading my messages on FB but not responding. And we had a mutual friend who said she had spoken to her a couple times after the incident. But she stopped talking to her as well. I'm gonna say she felt guilty and decided the best thing to do was to cut ties with us all.

Yep so true.
I miss the old gaia, it was loads of fun.
All the old stuff i have like bunny slippers etc are worthless now.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 05-09-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachi View Post
Kinsaki sounds familiar.

I had a friend who i became quite close with from mene ages ago, she lived in Australia, so we use to exchange letters/gifts all the time.
Anyway, she off site traded on mene - much to my disappointment and got banned from here. Well actually she never actually went through with it - but she had advertised the intent to do so. Bartuc and i got into fisty cups over this, because i trusted her and was adamant they were talking shit hahaha lol.

Anyway - She started a avi site, which was quite cool. It was like a monkey base but with more human like features. Like a human with a tail lol. And we had a pretty decent amount of members & staff. And i had just done all this stuff like - how to tutorials, lots of instructional threads etc. And then she just disappeared... We were left in the dark for ages. Even when i tried countless times to contact her outside of the avi site. And the site eventually was taken down. Someone had offered her a decent amount of cash for it too. Still haven't heard from her all these years later.

You're right i think avi sites are dying. The only one that seems to prosper is gaia.
omg Roachi, what was the name of the avatar site with the monkey bases?? I used to be a pixelist on there or something like that and I can't remember what it was called

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Oh, that's unfortunate. I don't understand why people can't just be upfront about things, you know? It's more of a kick in the teeth to just ghost everybody than to just be honest.

I completely agree. Old items are worthless because you can just somehow buy them again or some shit. It's just absurd.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 AM

I was one of the mods at Kinsaki and I remember this happening. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the one that reported it to staff here with IP logs and stuff.

Off site trading isn't welcome anywhere on any avatar site. Your "friend" got what was coming. If I was only "talking shit" They probably wouldn't have disappeared like they did. - I also didn't realize they were the same people that made the monkey site. . . interesting.

~

I remember the idea of it and it's bases, but not the name. Which shows how memorable it was. I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you guys about that place ever being a good idea.

The people and community were nice enough, which is half the battle (most of them I knew from Kinsaki) But always being an ugly monkey? Nahh thank you.

I was contacted to do pixels for that site early on as well. I declined. A few months later I got a message from another member of their team. I declined again. This happened a third time. . . I lost it!

I figured, that perhaps they thought I was declining because of schedule conflicts and that's why they kept asking me. So I set them straight in a strongly worded letter why I would not be "working" for them.

I gave the person that last contacted me an "Overly Harsh and Immature Criticism" about the awkwardness of the bases, and told them I wasn't interested in ever pixeling for a place I've only heard of from their scouts trying to leach talent.

I also told them the idea of being a monkey on an island collecting banana's would be great for single event, but no where near good enough for a whole final site theme. - It would get old quick.

They got REALLY offended about the theme part and said something about how I was being rude and I should be honored to even be considered to pixel for them because I had only done it for 6 months at Kinsaki at that point. . .

Like um excuse me? No! First of all they came to me, multiple times in fact. I didn't seek out new "work" or submit myself to any interview process for more unpaid pixel work. They acted like they were entitled to my work for free/site currency because I did it happily for Kinsaki - a site I loved, early in my career.

They weren't entitled to my work (obviously) and they didn't like it when I told them as such. No artist wants to be paid in purely "site currency" let alone one called "bananas". Unless they're fresh out of school looking for portfolio padding.

If the artist is invested in that site and truly loves it they might do what they consider charity work and do a few site currency items. However, I wouldn't bank on them staying at it for more than a year. Especially if the owner has never contacted them personally to say thanks for the work. *cough* my current status here*cough*

In spite of my really bad experience with them early on. I wish them well "wherever" they are. But I wouldn't recommend working with or supporting them if they're still that entitled to free art properties.

"Random" comments on another thing that annoyed me when I got my computer back:

$10 in "coins" for a logo contest when you'll be using that logo for all your sites advertising and likely Merch is ridiculous.

Logo designers get paid some of the highest fees in the art world right now for good reason. $200 for basic and $400-$500 for complex. This is because of the nature of logos not directly displaying the artists name but the companies name.

Like...who designed the StarBucks logo? Do you know off hand? Likely not. However, you and everyone else knows that green and white siren. That's why logo artist's are so expensive. Brand *clap* recognition *clap* IS *clap* EVERYTHING!

Seems some places really want to take advantage of young artists/artists in general. It's a shame when they keep making the same mistakes on that front.

*looks up at the mighty wall she built* wut da...