Junabelle
But first, coffee.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 AM

There are some readers out there who enjoy a good YA Retelling, since there's over a hundred, last time I read on Epic Reads. So the rules here are simple and easy. Recommend one you've read and I will list it below! It can be anything from fairy tales to classics to Shakespeare to even mythology.

List away!

Junabelle
But first, coffee.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 AM

12 Dancing Princesses
Entwined by Heather Dixon

Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Beauty and the Beast
Beastly by Alex Flinn

Jane Eyre
Jane by April Lindner

The Wizard of Oz
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 05-14-2015, 03:47 AM

One of my favorite authors did a few YA books and the first in one series is a retelling of the twelve dancing princess (with a few other fairytales mixed in) :

Wildwood Dancing
&
Cybele's Secret (not a retelling, but amazing and the next book in the series)
by Juliet Marillier

Junabelle
But first, coffee.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 PM

I love 12 Dancing Princesses retellings! I'll definitely have to check this one out!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 PM

Woody recommended Wildwood dancing to me as well. I haven't read it but I think I got that book and another by that author when at the bookstore.

But as for fairytales, I read a collection of short stories by Angela Carter for my class on myths and fairytales. It's contempory and has a lot of different takes in it, but I would never classify it as young adult. I also have a book called Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley that is a retelling of beauty and the beast. I have not read it.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 07-07-2015 at 09:14 PM..

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM

I saw Alice in Zombieland at the library a while back and want to read it. I think I should probably read the original first though.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
One of my favorite authors did a few YA books and the first in one series is a retelling of the twelve dancing princess (with a few other fairytales mixed in) :

Wildwood Dancing
&
Cybele's Secret (not a retelling, but amazing and the next book in the series)
by Juliet Marillier
Wildwood Dancing was one of my favourite books as a teenager! I had no idea there was a sequel though.
Marillier also wrote Daughter of the forest which is a retelling of "The Six Swans", and that series has about six or seven books. It's called the Sevenwaters series.
Also, I just found out that Juliet Marillier lives in the same city as me and I think I'm gonna fall over from excitement.

OH. Content warning for the Sevenwaters books. If it's nasty and it happens it's in these books. Rape, self harm, suicide, mind control (I think? It's been a while), murder, torture... Amazing stories but not for the faint of heart or those who have triggers. Really graphic. I read them as a teenager, but I had quite a high reading age so maybe they aren't really YA?