Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-30-2016, 01:12 AM

"I suspect you're the sort to never learn from your mistakes because you can't see the mistake," Elias murmured with another sigh, no longer arguing. He just stated a simple fact now, admitting his defeat. He shouldn't be arguing like this anyway, like a kid himself. It wasn't like him at all. A smile quirked over his lips, lasting only half a second, but showing a wry, self-deprecating sort of humor. "Though your philosophy is interesting, I can't say I'd ever be able to think the way you do. I wish more than anything to avoid adventure." Catching sight of a bird landing in the stream of water, he slipped to his feet, following its course as it bathed in the cool water. After a second, he turned over to look at Barrett with his face closed off. "Well, I moved to a lonely 'abandoned shack' in the woods for a reason, you'd think."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 AM

"Can't really be counted as a mistake if nothing really bad happened, can it?" Barrett said, though most sane people would definitely call being a suspect something bad. But for Barrett it wasn't on his record, and it was a story he enjoyed telling. Plus, he was enjoying how Elias seemed in many ways baffled by him. He shook his head at Elias before responding, "Seems lonely to me. And boring. I like people too much to every complete isolate myself. You need at least one person." He nodded, hair bouncing as he did so, as if his words will gospel truth. "I know!" he exclaimed grinning, excitement shining in his eyes, up at Elias, "I'll be that person for you! You won't get rid of me..." he paused, suddenly serious again, earnest, "I don't like the thought of anyone being that lonely. Even an old man like you," he teased, scrunching up his nose.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 PM

Elias didn't argue with Barrett's words, unable to call them un-true. His life was alone, but he wouldn't readily call it lonely. That would imply he missed the company when he told himself he did not. "I have classes and the townsfolk," he murmured. A weak defense. It's true he wasn't distant with the people he knew and conversed regularly when he went into town, but he wasn't close with anyone either. It was a tightrope walk between being here and not. He'd settled here, but committed to be here.

At the mention of staying, Elias sat back with surprise. A small gesture, but a strong one nonetheless. "What a kind offer." Though his tone said it was not. "I'm not worth the time though. I have everything I need here so I'm not lonely. Rather, I prefer it this way. An old man like me," he sighed, "is not worth the attention of a kid like you." And yet, a part of him couldn't help but yearn. If Barrett meant it, really meant it. But he probably didn't with that adventure loving soul of his. He'd wander away soon enough, so Elias just had to suffer through it until then. He put on a smile again, a show.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 AM

"I think the people isolated don't get to decide whether they're lonely or not," Barrett said, "Or well, more specifically, you get zero say on whether I'm coming around here. Never have done what I'm told, ya know." He grinned at Elias, unapologetic and almost proud. As he was doing this he pulled a couple of pieces of candy out of his pocket, just simple hard candies he kept on him at all times, "Candy?" he asked, offering one towards Elias as he unwrapped the other and popped it into his mouth. He smiled at Elias as he did so.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 AM

Elias chuckled under his breath, already sure he couldn't convince Barrett to stay away. It already became a given at this point. For now. "Fair enough," he conceded before looking in surprise as Barrett pulled candy from his pocket like he really was the kid he kept denying he was. "I guess?" He held out his hand, taking the proffered candy though he didn't know what he planned to do with it. He didn't plan to eat it. Folding his hand around the little round hard candy, he just kept it close. "I don't suppose I can do anything about that unnatural pride of yours though?"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 AM

"Others have tried and not succeeded, though you're certainly allow to try," Barrett chuckled, "It comes really with not giving much off a damn what people think of you. I know I'm awesome, so why should I worry about anyone else." He contorted his face into expression as if that should be obvious. Though if he had to think seriously about it, some may get through to him, if they ever got close enough, but it's not like his parents or friends had succeeded, so he didn't think it was possible.

"And besides isn't life more fun being confident? From what I've seen seems the way. So fake it til you make it right?" his voice, slipped into a bit of a serious tone for a second, remembering how he'd been in high school. Still adventurous and in to everything, but less sure of himself, more concerned with other's approval, until he just decided it wasn't worth it. Like he did with most things. Why be concerned, when you can move past it?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-03-2016, 02:20 AM

Elias shook his head, but he found his smile starting to come back. The real smile that couldn't help but react to Barrett's words. "I suppose 'awesome' is just a matter of perspective. If you think you have it, it makes it so. Something like that." He wasn't judging now, rather feeling amused and a little respectful of the other's confidence. So different from his own quiet confidence in his art. "Not every person can say something like that. Takes guts."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 AM

Barrett chuckled and nodded, "I mean, if you don't listen to others, there's really nothing to say your weird, or abnormal, or not special. And maybe I'm a little crazy, but I enjoy life that way, ya know. I don't plan on stopping now." He curled up in the chair, still kinda fidgeting around, every constant movement that he couldn't control and didn't really notice he was even doing. "I don't know how to be anyone else, and I don't want to be." His tone was serious as he said this, a lot of the teasing and bravado fading out as he just looked at Elias, feeling in some way he was laying himself bare to this man in a way that said accept me, though I don't know why I need you too. It just felt like the right thing to want from Elias.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM

Elias noticed the change in the other man's demeanor. A sort of seriousness. He was silent for a second, regarding Barrett. Did he seek something? Elias shouldn't have had anything to give, but he found himself looking at the other man with the same degree of seriousness. After a second, he answered. "You're a fine young man exactly the way you are. You shouldn't want to be something else."

He gave that comment a second to settle in before gulping down the last of his second cup of tea, breaking the moment with a casual ease. "Though really now. It's been wonderful talking with you, but the sun is going to set soon and I have work that needs to be done before then. Sunlight just makes the paint look so much better."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-05-2016, 12:36 AM

Barrett gave Elias a small sincere smile, different from his big and showy grins, there was something proud in the way we responded to the others words, proud and content. Once Elias mentioned the change in time, he looked around, having forgotten about the passage of time as he sat and spoke with the older man. "Oh! I didn't realize it was so late, but I should leave, I don't want to be walking through the trees with the sun sets." Barrett enjoyed adventure, and had done some stupid shit, but even he had limit. He stood and stretched out a hand to Elias, "I'm glad to have met you. And I'll be back and see you in town maybe?" he asked, absolutely certain he'd be back out her to visit the other the first chance he got.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-05-2016, 07:10 PM

"Oh, so you do have some common sense," Elias smiled. Rising to his own feet, he offered to let Barrett leave through his home rather than his studio this time. Opening the door, he motioned to let the other man enter first. "But it has been nice. Who knows what the world will bring, but I'm sure we'll meet again." Even with Barrett's effort to follow him and Elias' effort to push him away, it seemed no matter what, they would meet again. They lived in a small town anyway. Even Elias couldn't avoid his neighbors here. "I teach class on Tuesdays if you're interested. I'd love to see your face there. And don't let yourself get lost in the woods, okay."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 PM

"Well, I don't much want to get eaten by a bear or anything," Barrett teased back, "I like adventure but there are things that are entirely too much. Dangerous wild animals? Way too much." He walked into Elias's house as they talked, looking around, curious but not saying anything, and knowing he'd have to take the chance to really explore another day. For know, he just walked through the route that Elias showed him, "I'll be there," Barrett said, back to the big showy, grins that consumed his whole face, "Don't think I won't be." He said, as he walked out the front door, the rest of the woods facing in front of him, "Oh and I won't get lost, that's what my phone is for, gotta a gps app designed specifically for this type of roaming." With that, he waved a farewell to Elias, over excited for what the act was, and heading off into the trees back towards his own home.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Elias severely doubted any bears lived in these woods, but he didn't say anything past a smile. He raised one hand in farewell as Barrett stepped out into the woods. "Of course. I wouldn't expect anything else...an of course you have a gps app." He resisted the urge to chuckle. There was a solid man-made path between the front of his home and the main road just some ways off if a person actually came and went from the right direction. It was wide enough to drive a car and maintained so Elias didn't really need to worry. Except of course over Barrett's penchant for going off the path it seemed.

After watching the other man walk away for almost a minute, he turned back into his house. It felt odd and quiet, but he tried to brush it off as exactly what he'd been wanting. Going into his studio, he picked up his brushes once again and let the soft bristles slick across the pads of his fingers. It took him a second to get into the right head space. What to paint? He picked out an empty sheet prepared against a board and let his brush dip into a bowl of water. Right, the little bird from earlier. A little dove in a great stream of water.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM

Elias disappeared into the trees, waving at Elias as he did so, completely disregarding the man-made path. Maybe he'd take it someday in the future, surprise Elias by doing something normal, but today certainly wasn't that day. He popped a piece of candy in his mouth before pulling out his phone and humming to himself as he opened the app. He kept an eye on it, but mostly had an idea of which way to go. He smiled privately to himself as he did so, something soft and innocent, but content. Something just for him. Today's adventure certainly counted as a success, but perhaps not in the way he expected. But, in a way, maybe meeting Elias was better. It certainly felt that way.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-10-2016, 02:54 AM

Elias waved at Teresa Walker as he walked past the desk at the front of the community center. "You're early today," she hummed with a wave back as she buzzed him in. "Not that you're a person to set one's clock by. You follow earth time, not people time or something. I suspect you don't own a time keeper at all."

"You make it sound like I'm usually late," he tossed back with a soft smile on his face. It was their usual banter, delivered without any malice, or even sass really. Elias' words were far too gentle for that.

Teresa shook her head. "No, I suppose not. Just not early." Usually.

Elias murmured a passing farewell before slipping through the door and down a hall to the open room that served as a studio on Tuesdays. The center had the space cleared, but he had to set it up himself. The class would start in twenty minutes, giving him plenty of time before anyone set foot in the room. He set about pulling the few easels out of the storage closet in the back and collecting supplies for the kids. He didn't really come early for this, though it did give him a nice sense of peace to set up in silence. He just felt like being here today though, so much less caught up in the slow trickle of the water stream and the squirrels lounging in the sun. Briefly, he wondered if Barrett might show his face, but after that day, he'd let himself forget about the boy. Today as well, he intended to move on as if nothing had happened.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 AM

Barrett sat at his desk pen tapping repeatedly against the desk as his feet followed again. He was staring at the screen, but not really seeing what was in front of him. He'd long since past from interested in his work to bored with the repetitive nature of the problems coming his way that day. He needed a break, though he wasn't sure what to do, as it wasn't like he could leave for too long without work noticed. Standing, he stretched his arms up over his head and removed the headset he'd been wearing, fixing his hair as he did so.

He hummed quietly moving out of the office as he considered lunch options, not having taken a break earlier since he'd worked on a couple computers while their owners were out to lunch themselves. As he turned off the street his office was on, the community center across the street caught his eye and a grin slowly spread across his face. Checking his watch, he grinned even wider and immediately changed direction to arrive at the community center. This was the perfect time to pay Elias a visit.

Getting into the community center wasn't much of a fuss, the town small enough that people trusted their neighbors, and so the girl at the counter immediately directed him towards the right room. He stood outside the room for a couple seconds, decided how to best make an entrance. Shrugging, he eventually walked in wide grin in place and walked over to Elias, "What's up, old man?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 PM

The class had just started, Elias leaving the supplies in the center for those who came in to gather at their own interest. Since the day's turn out appeared to be mostly younger, he didn't offer much in the way of a lesson before they started painting. That wasn't really the point of this. It was to give kids a chance to do something when most of their other choices led to petty crime. The true danger of a small town--not much to do besides dance, drink, and set fires. He just offered them a chance to fall in love with something more constructive.

Settling on his own stool, he dipped his own fat brush in yellow acrylic paint to demonstrate how to apply a ground. Just as his brush hit the piece of paper though, a call made him turn his head. Elias sat up straight, before smiling back at the person who just entered the room. "Looks like a lost child has wandered in," he murmured back. "Are you here to paint or just observe today, Barrett? There's an extra easel if you're interested. Landscape is the lesson." He gestured to the center of the room where an empty seat was left in the back. As much as Barrett probably deserved to be teased back, his smile was only soft today and the offer genuine. He really hadn't expected the other to show up.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 AM

Barrett grinned at Elias, the smile softening on the corners, something more genuine in response to the other's greeting. He shook his head at the question, "I thought I was pretty particular about the not painting part," he said, grabbing and seat and pulling it up to sit just behind Elias, so he could see what he was doing, but not be in the way of any of the students. "I'll just watch, see if I see anything interesting in your painting there, ya know," he settled in the seat, staring at Elias's easel as he scratched a hand over the shaved part of his face, fingers trailing over his mark, without thought. "I won't even be a nuisance, promise."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Elias pursed his lips slightly, though still resisting a smile. "That's what you say now. And I'm only teaching, not painting. You won't see much." His eyes trailing to the mark Barrett drew attention to, he considered the painting he'd started earlier in the week. How funny to both feature a bird. Perhaps it was a dove that Barrett wore in such an unusual and obvious place? Elias turned back to his paper with its solid layer of soft yellow paint, thinking how perfect of a ground that was for a sunny blue sky, the golden hue behind it giving it the life that the sun gave a sunny day. "But very well, if you promise not to be a nuisance. Now," he started, turning back to the class. "The point of a ground is to create a luminous effect where the color almost backlights what you paint on top of it. Use complimentary colors for greater effect. It doesn't matter what landscape you paint, real or not. Just let it be luminous and alive." Cleaning out his own brush, he swirled together a bright blue which he splashed over the yellow, letting it fade in spots to let the ground shine through. "See."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 AM

Barrett settled into his seat, a smile on his face as we watched the other get back to teaching the lesson, "Not a peep I promise," he murmured quietly, before really settling into silence. He didn't want to bother Elias and get himself thrown out, so he would do his best to keep silent, though that meant he pretty immediately started shifting in his set, feet tapping, hands twitching, just utterly capable of having a single moment without motion. Through all this though, his eyes remained trained to the easel that Elias was using as as simple, even if it wasn't a complex painting, it was still something created by the other man, and Barrett really did believe art, by any artist, was partly a portrait of them, so he looked forward to learning about the other through this simple act.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM

Elias continued his lesson, only offering a few more examples of technique before going silent. The three he had illustrated sat on different swatches on the same paper, offering only a glimpse of his real talent and not much in terms of artistic aesthetic. Still, many of his students still asked to see his real work. He could hardly go two weeks without hearing the request for some curious or taunting student and yet he still smiled a mysterious smile and kept his art to himself. Barrett was no different, other than he'd already seen the studio. The boy was ridiculous bouncing like he was. Setting his brush down so he could walk around the room, he first turned to the other he'd been so aware of this entire time. "The quiet and still environment of painting doesn't seem to suit you."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 06-15-2016 at 01:08 AM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-14-2016, 02:54 AM

Barrett grinned sheepishly at Elias, his face apologetic, "I'm sorry, I've never really been able to sit still, at least not when I'm being quiet, I definitely was that kid that some people want to throw things at during tests," Even as he said this he shifted in his seat once more, his fingers settling to tap over his knees, belying his words that talking made the need to move better. He paused, reluctant, 'I can leave if it's annoying. I just wanted to come by coz I said I would, and ya know, I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten." He shrugged, his shoulders hunched, another moment where the bravado faded, revealing, something honest and kind.

And it was true, he had wanted to just show Elias that he was honest about being his friend, and maybe get a chance to see what Elias had covered the other day. "And I do like art," he commented, eyes drifting to the students though not lingering on one painting to long, not wanting to make the kids nervous since they were all younger, "Seeing the process of how it's made is interesting."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 AM

Elias eyed Barrett for a moment, silent, and his face unreadable. He almost had forgotten about the promise, along with the other's existence. Or at least he could say he kidded himself into believe that it was a moment in the past, never to be fulfilled. He didn't expect Barrett to keep bothering him. After a second, Elias sighed. "No, we couldn't have me forgetting. You're much too trouble for that."

Smiling a bit, he dipped his brush in the clean water cup before tapping it in the direction of his sample painting. "You enjoy art that much? Somehow it doesn't seem to suit a computer person like you. Most just have a passing interest especially if they have no interest in painting themselves." He paused, raising one eyebrow at Barrett to challenge him one second in case he might have a change of heart. "But I suppose if you'd like, I can show you more of that process called art."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 06-16-2016 at 11:49 PM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 AM

Barrett nodded, sincere, standing to move closer to Elias, "My older cousin is an artist. I used to follow her around a lot as a kid, asking a million questions, and no matter how consumed she was with a painting, she always made time to answer whatever questions I had." He smiled at Elias, soft and private once again, though this time not so much directed at the artist, more a fond smile at a happy memory. "She introduced me to a lot of stuff, and I guess her love for it stuck with me, even if I never picked up the desire to create it myself. Besides, every painting tells a story, and that's no different than the stories I get from going on adventures. It's just not my story then."

Last edited by Wings of Writing; 06-16-2016 at 02:03 AM..

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-16-2016, 11:56 PM

Elias smiled back with a matching softness. "She sounds like a very lovely sister." So it was a story like that? Somehow he could sympathize though for him, art started as a passion that grew out of nothing. No one showed it to him besides cursory art classes in school. Maybe a classmate doodling in their notebook. To him, it was something he just naturally found his pencil doing and then a paintbrush. It didn't matter what anyone else said. So when he saw that in other people, heard others say they should give up this useless passion, he made sure to pass along all his knowledge and passion.

With a stronger degree of seriousness, he began to brush shades of bright and grey-ish blues across the painting's sky. "Well, I'm not sure how much I can impart to a studious fellow like you, but you're welcome just to watch. I wonder, just what sort of story does my painting show you?" He smiled a bit, curious himself. Art was not a picture. It was a person. But just how did he appear to others when he tried so hard to keep them away?