Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 PM

The event has started! Find us there!

http://www.menewsha.com/forum/commun...uncements.html

Banner by the absolutely talented Mythos.

Welcome to Mafia: The Game SIGN-UPS!
We are your game moderators, Nami and Lance.

Last edited by Lance; 02-13-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 AM

◄ Introduction to Mafia ►

Quote:
Mafia is a game of conflict between two factions, the informed minority (Mafia) and the uninformed majority (the innocents). At the start of the game each player is secretly assigned a role affiliated with one of these teams. The game has two alternating phases: "Night", during which the mafia may covertly "murder" an innocent, and "Day", in which surviving players debate the identities of the mafiosi and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia has been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents.

Think you can sniff out the mobsters?
Think you can trick the masses and seize control?

Sign up to play our intense murder mystery game and give your wits a real work-out! Please be sure you can commit to a week long game before you do sign up as a player. Don't think you can commit for a full week? Don't worry! We will also be running a bystander's game along side the mafia games (More about that below!).

All active players and bystanders stand a chance to win something from this game!

◄ Keywords ►
  • Mafia - The informed and organized party who schemes from behind the scenes.
  • Townie - The uninformed faction determined to weed out the mafiosi.
  • Role - A character or part played by users.
  • Day Phase - The time when players vote openly on who they wish to lynch from the game.
  • Night Phase - When the innocents go to sleep and the cunning plots the night away.
  • Twilight Phase - The time in between Day and Night when someone has already been lynched for the day but Night Phase has not started.
  • Vote - The voicing of a decision between choices.
  • Unvote - Taking back your previous vote so that it's void.
  • Lynch - A mob sentencing a person(s) to death without legal action.
  • Bystander - A spectator who takes part when duty calls.

* This is only a sign-up thread and not the main game thread. That will come when the event starts. However, because of the complexity of the game, we're posting the game details early so everyone can get a better grasp of it and ask about things you may be confused about before the game starts for real.

Last edited by Lance; 02-05-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM

◄ Fundamentals ►

GAME SETUP & TIMELINE
  • Multiple games will group players based on their timezones and/or online availability.
    Different games will change phases at different times.
  • Groups are capped at 10 players each.
  • Multiple groups for same time zone are fine - just gotta have 10 to play!
  • Day Phase will last 18 hours.
  • Night Phase will last 6 hours. (This is why we want to break things down into time groups!)

DAY PHASE
  • Each Day Phase will have an 18 hours deadline.
  • Do not edit your posts. If you make a mistake, post again and let us know.
  • BOLD ALL VOTES. Votes which are not bolded will not be counted. Abbreviating someone's name is acceptable, so long as we can tell who you were voting for without trouble. Vote using this form:
    Code:
    [B]VOTE: USERNAME [/B]
  • Unvotes are not necessary to change your vote. You can change your vote as many times as you like. If you vote again, we will take only your latest vote into account.
  • You can also choose not to lynch anyone by posting VOTE: NO LYNCH. If a majority votes for a No Lynch, the day will end without a lynch.
  • Once a majority of votes on a player is reached during the day, a lynch occurs and no further votes or unvotes will count. When a player is lynched, Twilight Phase will start until one of the game moderators arrive and post a death scene. Players can continue to post during Twilight.
  • If no majority is reached at deadline, the Bystander Vote majority will decide the lynch.
  • If there is still a tie after Bystander voting, both players will be lynched.
  • If a deadline extension is requested it must be made within the game thread and be supported by three other players.
  • Failing to post in the game thread for 24 hours will result in a poke. Failing to post for 36 hours will result in a force-replacement. There is no such thing as a third poke. This is to ensure that the game is fun and fair for all players.

NIGHT PHASE
  • Night Phase will last for at least 6 hours.
  • All roles/groups with night abilities and actions must communicate game decisions via PMs only.
  • All roles/group decisions must be sent to both of us before the end of the Night Phase.
  • You can also make as many changes as necessary, and at deadline we will take the last action you submitted.
  • If no action is received by deadline, no action will be taken. All actions received after the deadline has passed will not be valid.
  • Night Action submissions will be accepted starting in the Twilight Phase.

PLAYER ROLES
  • Roles will be sent out before or at the start of the Valentine's Day 2015 event.
  • Special roles include Mafia, Detective, and Doctor. Everyone else is a Townie.
    • Mafia: Multiple players who have night actions that allow them to bump off one player (collectively) each night.
    • Detective: 1 or more players who have night actions that allow them to investigate one player each night.
    • Doctor: 1 or more players who have night actions that allow them to operate on one player each night (saving heal)
  • This should go without saying but Roles = TOP SECRET. Don't be telling people all crazy like.
  • Any specific role information will be shared with you in the PM you get revealing your role.
    For example, if you are a Vanilla Townie, you may receive this PM:
    Quote:
    You are a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities
    • During the Night, you may sleep.
    • During the Day, you may vote for whomever you want lynched.

Win Condition
    You win when all non-town factions have been eliminated and at least one Town-aligned player is still alive.
  • Regardless of what role you are assigned it is HIGHLY suggested that you change your status to invisible so people can't try to be sneaky sneaks and check to see if/who you are PMing!

Last edited by Lance; 02-12-2015 at 04:13 AM..

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 PM

◄ Game Rules ►

Rules are strict and extensive for this game to ensure it runs as smoothly as possible.
If this is not your thing, look away now and take your peace.

GENERAL RULES
  • All Menewsha Rules and TOS apply.
  • This is a game. Have fun, and keep the game fun for other people.
  • Please be respectful and courteous to your fellow players and game moderators.
  • Rules may change at any time during the game. An announcement will be made if any changes occur.
  • Do not contact players in or outside of the game about the game unless your role specifically allows it.
  • Do not quote your Role PM or any private communication about the game with the game moderators or fellow players. Any use of not publicly available information is not allowed. If you come across such information for any reason, please send us a PM immediately. Paraphrasing your Role PM is okay.
  • If you suspect foul play, let us know by PM immediately. Do not publicly voice your accusations.
  • Whatever happens, do not ask to be replaced out because of hurt feelings. This game is what you make of it.
  • Play to your Win Condition. (Play to win.)

IN-GAME POSTING RULES
  • Do not edit your posts. If you make a mistake, post again and let us know.
  • Dead players stay dead. They may not post in the game thread once they're dead. Posts made by dead players will be deleted if they're made after their execution, because they're dead.
  • Bystanders can only post to vote in the game thread they're following. All irrelevant posts will be deleted.

ACTIVITY
  • Failing to post in the game thread for 24 hours will result in a poke. Failing to post for 36 hours will result in a force-replacement. There is no such thing as a third poke. This is to ensure that the game is fun and fair for all players.
  • If we cannot find a replacement in a suitable amount of time, we will have to consider a modkill.

MODKILLS & OFFENSES
  • If any player during the game breaks any rules, becomes unresponsive, and/or displays disruptive behavior, the game moderators reserve the right to force-replace or modkill the player. A warning will usually be given whenever a player is being force-replaced or killed by a game moderator, depending on the severity of the offense.
  • If someone is modkilled, their alignment will change to “Neutral Survivor” and there will be no chance of them winning the game, even if their original faction wins.

Last edited by Lance; 02-03-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM

If you did not sign up before the event, you will not be playing in a game thread.
HOWEVER, this does not mean you can't participate! Check out our handy

~ Bystanders' Game Breakdown ~

Who are Bystanders?
  • If by the end of the Sign-Ups period there are not enough players left over to form a group (15 players), they will automatically become Bystanders.
  • Players who sign up after the start of the event while the game is ongoing will automatically become a Bystander.
  • Bystanders are also who will be replacing active players in the game they're following if the situation calls for it. You cannot change the game you follow midway.

What do Bystanders do?
  • Bystanders do not get Mafia, Detective or Doctor roles (unless they are substituted into a game) and can only post to vote in the game thread they're following. All irrelevant posts in the game thread by Bystanders will be deleted.
  • However, they have an effect on the game they are following... A.K.A. The Bystander's Vote.
    • Bystander's Vote majority = 1 vote in the game.
  • The Bystander Vote will the factor that decides on which player will be lynched in the case of a tie.
  • The same rules for voting for active players above also apply for Bystanders.

How are Bystanders chosen to replace a game player?
  • Must have posted at least once daily in any relevant game threads.
  • If the above requirement is fulfilled, the replacement will then be chosen by order of sign ups.

Last edited by Lance; 02-03-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 07:11 PM

◄ GAMES & PLAYERS ►

All phases follow the time of the game's designated time zone.
Day 00:00 - 17:59; Night 18:00 - 23:59

Time zones designated to groups may change depending on the online availability of the player majority.

Sapphire Street Murders (UTC/GMT -8 (PST) Las Vegas, USA)
  1. Babyblueyez25
  2. PrincessKasumi
  3. shinigamikarasu
  4. Papillon
  5. zyne
  6. Rochiel Silverfire
  7. ~LONGCAT~
  8. Xogizmoox
  9. Ava The Vampire
  10. Roxxi Shiagami

The Crimson City Crime Spree (UTC/GMT -1 (BRST) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
  1. Elirona
  2. Dystopia
  3. Cora
  4. Wyrmskyld
  5. HollyCloak
  6. Ethos
  7. spicedroses
  8. Liztress
  9. Captain Howdy
  10. hummy

Emerald House Mysteries (UTC/GMT +12 (ANAT) Anadyr, Russia)
  1. sjacklene
  2. Silenia
  3. xoxoAngiexoxo
  4. Mnemosyne
  5. musasgal
  6. Ascadellia
  7. EirianHikari
  8. Kent
  9. CycloneKira
  10. Car'a'Carn

Last edited by Lance; 02-12-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Sign-Up Form
Please fill in this form below and PM them to Lance AND myself to sign up:

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Time zone:[/B]
[B]Online time based on time zone:[/B] (Give estimations of what times you'll be able to come online during the event.)
[B]Anything else?[/B]

Example:
Quote:
Username: Nami
Time zone: PST (GMT -8)
Online time based on time zone: 2pm to 12am on weekends. Usually around 8am - 10am and 8pm - 11pm on weekdays.
Anything else? Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Last edited by Lance; 02-04-2015 at 02:31 AM..

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 PM

◄ F.A.Q.s ►

Q: Will roles be revealed upon the death of a player in game?
A: If and only if they were investigated by the detective prior to their death.

Q:
A:

Last edited by Lance; 02-05-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 02-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Lance's hair smells lemony fresh!

Last edited by Nami; 02-03-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM

Nami's hair is made of silken strands and magical pixie dust!

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 04:38 PM

...I thought I got all of the glitter out.

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 PM

It still looks quite shimmery to me. What's this about glitter?

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM

During Lucien's stag party Vicky came through and threw handfuls of it in my hair. I've tried everything to get it out!

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't have known if you didn't mention it, I thought your hair was naturally that shiny!

Silenia
Goddess of Silly Creepiness, Que...

Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 PM

...At post two in the thread, you say
Quote:
the informed majority (Mafia) and the uninformed minority (the innocents)
(emphasis mine), yet later on in the same post, you say
Quote:
Play continues until all of the mafia has been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents.
That...eh, kind of conflicts? Y'know, what with innocents supposedly being the minority from the start? :P

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Oof! Good catch! It's supposed to be the other way around.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM

And what if I do

Silenia

Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM

Yes, I somewhat figured as much.

Question: My actual timezone (UTC/GMT+1) heavily conflicts with what would likely be the best timezone-match for me based on online hours.
(I am most likely to be online in what amounts to 6pm-6am in the UTC-0 zone, and especially the 11pm-5am part of that, so...)

Should I sign-up for the timezone closest to my clock or closest to my active hours?

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
And what if I do
Wuh- what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Yes, I somewhat figured as much.

Question: My actual timezone (UTC/GMT+1) heavily conflicts with what would likely be the best timezone-match for me based on online hours.
(I am most likely to be online in what amounts to 6pm-6am in the UTC-0 zone, and especially the 11pm-5am part of that, so...)

Should I sign-up for the timezone closest to my clock or closest to my active hours?
But that's why we asked in the form about when you're free and what your timezone is so when you say you're free 8pm to 10pm (for example) we don't have to guess which timezone you're referring to. We''ll be sorting players based on their active online hours.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Kill people and cause mayhem

Silenia

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Wuh- what?

But that's why we asked in the form about when you're free and what your timezone is so when you say you're free 8pm to 10pm (for example) we don't have to guess which timezone you're referring to. We''ll be sorting players based on their active online hours.
Ah, wasn't completely clear to me. XD Suppose I'm a bit scatter-brained today, though--that, and I guess I'm too used to converting my local times to the various different timezones I frequently have to work with/around. :P

Lance
⊙ω⊙
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
Kill people and cause mayhem
Then you're just the kind of person we're looking for!
Quote:
Ah, wasn't completely clear to me. XD Suppose I'm a bit scatter-brained today, though--that, and I guess I'm too used to converting my local times to the various different timezones I frequently have to work with/around. :P
I'm all too happy to clarify things! There's rather a lot of words involved here in this game, so confusion is expected. Do ask if you have anymore questions.

Silenia

Old 02-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Then you're just the kind of person we're looking for!

I'm all too happy to clarify things! There's rather a lot of words involved here in this game, so confusion is expected. Do ask if you have anymore questions.
Will do, don't worry.

I think the confusion comes because your example uses one of the established timezones for the different groups. Had it been, say, UTC+3 or UTC-9, I probably would've caught on immediately. This way, it wasn't immediately clear if Time zone was supposed to be your own or which of the three games' timezones you'd like to sign up for, and as a result, the "Online time based on timezone" meaning got a bit borked as well.

sjacklene
I need a life :/

Penpal

Old 02-04-2015, 06:07 PM

Woohoo! I can kill people and get away with it! :)

Nami
♫♪♬
NPC

Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Will do, don't worry.

I think the confusion comes because your example uses one of the established timezones for the different groups. Had it been, say, UTC+3 or UTC-9, I probably would've caught on immediately. This way, it wasn't immediately clear if Time zone was supposed to be your own or which of the three games' timezones you'd like to sign up for, and as a result, the "Online time based on timezone" meaning got a bit borked as well.
What we're really looking to use the timezone information for is to put people together in groups that will be active around the same time but will also allow people to take part in the 6 hour long 'night phase' without taking away from time they need to use for other things. I guess what I'm saying is that you should pick which game you can take part in that will allow you to be active before and after 6 PM for the timezone the group will be running on (UTC/GMT -8, 0, and +8).