IceMaiden
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 PM

It annoys the hell out of me when I see a perfectly good b/w picture and then someone says 'you should color it'.
Pictures look great both ways to me. It just counts on how you want the picture to look.

dreamer676
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM

I draw b/w all the time, it's just something I do XD colouring not so much...I somewhat feel that ppl arn't interested if a picture is b/w which is so annoying and discriminate.
I am also a cross-hatcher, but when I was on gaia the other day, someone submitted a cross hatched picture and another user decided it a good idea to turn round complain about the picture itself, be sarcastic and then say that cross hatching is the easiest form of shading an artist can use. I was just like well thanks I feel so talented now, y'know I hate to think how the person that actually drew it felt about that users comment. It's not even that she said that cross hathing is the easiest form of shading, that annoyed me I mean it most likely is but theres no point saying it when you know that it's gonna hurt someone, y'know?
but anyway rant over XD

MementoMori

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 AM

I much prefer color because it adds something extra, that I think is impossible with strictly black and white. It's easier to set a mood with color...and I'm not just talking about the BRIGHT IN YOUR FACE SHINY RAINBOW colors that seem to be popular on dA and elsewhere. There could be two muted colors thrown in, and I think it'd still be better than B + W.

I have nothing against black and white, though. I've seen many great black and white pieces, and I was forced to work in strictly black and white for my full first semester in art school. (That's just how their curriculum works. They do color theory in the spring only *shrug*)

One thing that does bother me is if it looks like little effort or time went into the piece. That can happen in black in white or in color, though.

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM

I tend to do more black and white stuff because I'm too lazy to ink my work and than attack them with colored pencils. I'm also not to good with digital coloring yet so I tend to steer away from that. I think colored work is more popular just because it catches the eye more. It's much easier to draw people in with a focal point in color.

Clara
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Clara Send a message via MSN to Clara Send a message via Yahoo to Clara

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 AM

I like black and white art a lot actually @@;
It's just I feel my art needs to be full color unless it's comic pages.. *currently working on a comic*

Monstryk
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 PM

It all depends.

On what you consider fitting for the piece, and the feel you're going for, the style.

No art is more or less art than others just because of being different.

LeaSmith
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Oh no, I do not think art needs to be coloured to impress people. I have seen some traditional artists working in b&w who are admired. Myself, I prefer working in it, too.

AlikaMorein
*^_^*

Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 AM

It doesn't HAVE to be. But granted it gets more attention that way. Sometimes I don't want to color something though. It may lose something in the process.

Coquette
*^_^*

Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 AM

i guess i'd say, people these days prefer vibrant things, like color, to think things are nice. you see aesthetics today and they have color. those who do look beyond that and appreciate black and white, may have a smaller population, where you have been. black and white can be just as attractive as colors, and especially with detail. but i must say, if i decide to work on a piece, i'm probably thinking a finished product in color. color may seem complete, because the world has color, so color makes artwork seem...real?

Kiyo Trishna
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Kiyo Trishna Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyo Trishna

Old 08-10-2008, 04:09 PM

I like both, but I myself prefer black and white.
Don't know why I just do.

LadyAmiria
Send a message via MSN to LadyAmiria

Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM

I prefer traditional black and white drawing too...What can i say im just inlove with my black pencil :3
Alot of people tell me i should color too..but i only color when i have a request for a colored drawing as much as i hate it...
Sometimes coloring ruins the idea and the meaning of the drawing!Well what can i say here in Bulgaria we have that saying: "Variegation make insane people happy"
So there,you dont have to worry that you dont like coloring your works :)

Unibasu
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Unibasu

Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 PM

"You draw so well. Maybe you should color it to make it better."

oh my gosh, how much I HATE hearing that as well!! I've noticed that trend too. ):

To me, it feels like people don't have much respect for sketches or b/w drawings. It's like people think if a picture is colored, it's AUTOMATICALLY better, or on a higher level than a b/w picture. It's rather sad, IMO.
I'm not saying that about everyone of course XD But like the OP and I have said, it's a trend apparently.
I have to say that I personally enjoy color more, because I'm addicted to bright colors and stuff. But I also love sketches and b/w pieces as well!

What I REALLY hate is when someone does a picture meant to be black and white, and he/she finishes it and posts it.
Then a person or few come along and are all like 'OMG I can't wait until you color it!!'
As if they expect to be colored or they treat it like it's a WIP. Wut? :|

Lost_Ninja9213
*^_^*

Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 PM

O.K., I'm stealing my friend's account at the moment, but here's my opinion: art does not have to b colored. In fact, most of my drawings are in black and white.