MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 05-07-2016, 03:38 AM

I am so tired of the generic boyxgirl stuff, I want more books with some gay or lesbian couples. They don't even have to be the main characters, I just need them! It has to be something with a great plot like "I'll Give You the Sun", or, "Peter". Even something with a strong element of Fantasy I would love like The Mortal Instruments series.

Here is a link to my goodreads bookshelf that has all of the books that I've read, if you don't mind could you look through it so you don't suggest things that I've already read?
https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...rcy?shelf=read

Cheers!

Little Sister
A bear in avatar clothing

Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Robin Hobb's series "The Rain Wild Chronicles" is a great series with heaps of gay men in it. I wanna say LGBT but that would be a lie. It's almost exclusively the G. Still, awesome series. It has dragons.
... I'll try to think of more. But my brain is not working right now.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 AM

I haven't personally read them (yet), but several of my friends have been really obsessed with the Captive Prince series by C.S. Pacat.

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Thanks! I'll totally have to check these out!! :)

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 PM

I really liked "Luna" by Julie Anne Peters. The featured couple is straight but the girl's sister is trans and that's kind of the focus of the book, even though Luna isn't the main character.

Lauren Myracle's "Kissing Kate" is about a first kiss shared between girls. I didn't like it, but you might. The main character kisses her best friend Kate, but then Kate won't have anything to do with her. It's about the main character realizing her sexuality and losing her best friend. It was depressing to me but I know some people enjoy the angst.

Those are both young adult, modern day type books. If you're willing to go out on a limb, one of my absolute favorite books is "Biting the Sun" by Tanith Lee. It's not about being LGBT specifically, but it's a sci fi that takes place in a world where people are nothing but their consciousness, and bodies can be anything you want. So people often change from male to female and back. The main character feels predominantly female but she is restless and frequently commits suicide to try other bodies out (which isn't illegal, but very frustrating to the machines who see to humanity's comfort). She constantly goes against the grain, and is particularly violent as a male, but ever constant is a close friend of hers who is secretly in love with her. He takes on all kinds of disgusting forms that aren't even human, hoping she will fall in love with who he is, and not how he looks. In the end she is banished for her antics, which are seen as disruptive to society, and he chooses banishment with her and she finally realizes what was in front of her the whole time. They end up a straight couple, just so you know, but the journey is still beautiful and that author plays with gender a lot like that in her other works, including the Books of Paradys series.

"Wraitthu" by Storm Constantine is a fantasy series you may like. I haven't read it in a very long time and I will warn you that it's very...lofty? Intangible? It was a difficult read. From what I recall the race featured is supposed to be genderless but they all use male pronouns and I think the main character and his lover are essentially teenage boys. It was fairly sexual in nature but everything is written in a kind of vague and flowery way.

I'll stop there. lol I really want to read more LGBT works, too, but it's either a bit too juvenile or so hard-core it's just plotless erotica. I want to find some middle ground.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 AM

Eldweena: has awesome taste! Was just coming in here to recommend Wraeththu. I read it as a teen and it's really stayed with me over the years. Also really love how the original threw books are named - really fun naming convention!

Tanith Lee was a good friend of Storm's (RIP Tanith ) - always has been in my TBR pile but I've yet to get around to anything by her.

Storm's Immanion Press is quite active - she seems to do a lot of co-publishing with devoted fans who want to write a short story/novella within the Wraeththu mythos, and they're published under the Immanion imprint. A bit much for me, personally, since while I loved the Wraeththu books and hope to one day reread them, I'll never be too much into one fandom for a gazillion offshoots. She did publish a follow-up trilogy after the original Wraeththu trilogy, which I'd love to read after I reread the initial trilogy... hmm... someday.

Other recs you may like, each by a friend of mine:
-Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly (queer characters are front and center in a fascist alternative world modeled after Berlin at the rise of fascism in the 1920s and '30s).
-The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller (really cool YA book that's again centered on a queer, a teen, and has lots to say about body image; Sam himself struggled with an eating disorder so this is especially intimate).

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
Eldweena: has awesome taste!
Why, thank you! ha ha

That is crazy about Wraeththu... That is a bit much for me, too. I don't think I'd want to get into all that myself. But I envy those fans, to be noticed by the author like that!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-25-2019, 04:39 AM

"A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virture" by Mackenzi Lee is a fun one. Takes place in 17-something, about a young man going on tour of the continent with his best friend before his dad makes him settle down, but he gets caught up in a conspiracy along the way and ends up having Adventure! and Hijinks! The main character is bisexual but gay leaning, and more than anything, yearns to kiss his best friend. It's a good romp, and if you like it, there is a sequel about the sister.